Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 5th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W2 D1 L0

Realistically what can we expect from the new manager this season?

Read 12336 times
      nevilsarim
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts |
      Re: Realistically what can we expect from the new manager this season?
      Reply #46: Oct 08, 2015 09:43:15 am
      just one expectation, win
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #47: Oct 08, 2015 10:00:32 am
      Oh yeah 2 Cups and and PL Trophy wouldn't go astray either.
      Only two cups - you're easily pleased ;)
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,899 posts | 6822 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #48: Oct 08, 2015 10:21:16 am
      Only two cups - you're easily pleased ;)

Let's not get greedy mate.  ;)
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #49: Oct 08, 2015 10:26:24 am
      Have a feeling if its Klopp he will try and make some thing of the Europa League and go all out to win it (in terms of selections/tactics), just a feeling, then I think top 4 maybe a possibility depending on how quickly he can start turning round our results in the league.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,243 posts | 851 
      Reply #50: Oct 08, 2015 10:26:52 am
      Win the league!

just kidding ;D
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #51: Oct 08, 2015 10:39:12 am
      at the very least a top four finish this season.

To be honest: that should be a given... If all you say is accurate mate. You (and others) have convinced me and that's why I set my sights higher.

People mewl about having our expectations dumbed down and that's fair enough. What doesn't make sense (to my slow mind anyhow) is the very same people now have little or no expectation when the opposite should be true.

'You' want rid of Brendan (presumably because he didn't meet expectations befitting LFC) - check.

'You' want Jürgen (presumably because 'you' truly believe he can bring us back to the top) - check.

But yet... It's somehow wrong to place high expectations on the man? Why?

Put it like this... unlike the odd one or two, my expectations have been heightened by Klopp's imminent arrival - not dampened down.   :laugh:
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,493 posts | 8676 
      Reply #52: Oct 08, 2015 11:18:06 am
      World domination!!
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,665 posts | 491 
      Reply #53: Oct 08, 2015 11:21:08 am
      Top 4

Scum annihilation at Anfield.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #54: Oct 08, 2015 11:21:12 am
      Realistic expectations for this season are at least one quarter final appearance and an improvement in our average points on the first 8 games so a final total of 60 points or above.

Anything on top of that I'd take as a bonus this season.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #55: Oct 08, 2015 11:23:10 am
      I want him to make the players play at their best in each and every game. I am sick of these below par performances from our players, unsure goal keeper, nervous defenders, static midfield, misfiring strikers, all of this has to go. We have an amazingly talented pool of players and they need to play like that, they need to take pride in the shirt and prove their worth before getting a place in the team. Prove yourself or move on, this club should not accept mediocrity anymore.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #56: Oct 08, 2015 11:24:50 am
      Some cohesion, seeing a team play like they haven't just met and thrown together, 20 minutes before kick off.  Understandable substitutions.  A  90 minutes in which we play well for more than a half.  A back line that communicates and starts working as a unit.  All this whilst still putting points on the board.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #57: Oct 08, 2015 11:27:38 am
      To give us reasons to hope that we can be successful in the long-term.
      Sir Suarez
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 59 
      Reply #58: Oct 08, 2015 11:34:05 am
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Reply #59: Oct 08, 2015 11:55:49 am
      To be honest: that should be a given... If all you say is accurate mate. You (and others) have convinced me and that's why I set my sights higher.

People mewl about having our expectations dumbed down and that's fair enough. What doesn't make sense (to my slow mind anyhow) is the very same people now have little or no expectation when the opposite should be true.

'You' want rid of Brendan (presumably because he didn't meet expectations befitting LFC) - check.

'You' want Jürgen (presumably because 'you' truly believe he can bring us back to the top) - check.

But yet... It's somehow wrong to place high expectations on the man? Why?

Put it like this... unlike the odd one or two, my expectations have been heightened by Klopp's imminent arrival - not dampened down.   :laugh:

I agree Mouse and like I said Klopp should come in and tell out lads they can win the title.

This year. Not in 3 years time.

Basically I do think we can win it or at least be 'in the conversation' to use a Brendan quote, but I normally hate saying these things out loud as it can make you look like an idiot.

But cards on the table mate, I think a title challenge isn't out of the question.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #60: Oct 08, 2015 12:07:11 pm
      I agree Mouse and like I said Klopp should come in and tell out lads they can win the title.

This year. Not in 3 years time.

Basically I do think we can win it or at least be 'in the conversation' to use a Brendan quote, but I normally hate saying these things out loud as it can make you look like an idiot.

But cards on the table mate, I think a title challenge isn't out of the question.

Really?! You do rate the players we bought very highly then. I personally think that is way above where our expectations should be for this year. I think City and Arsenal are both much stronger than we are right now and I don't realistically expect us to get in the top 2.

There's going to be a transitional period through both change of tactic and personnel, I think top 4 this season would be a decent standard to set, if he can achieve that then I would be impressed. I'm more than willing to give him this season as a settling in period, assess his players, identify the main weaknesses and address them in the next two windows (winter and summer).

Next year is when expectations should rise signficantly, I think a top 4 finish would be bare minimum and a decent run in a major cup competition, a title challenge certainly not beyond the realms of possibility. The year after that I would expect to be challenging for the title, I know it asks for patience again but the thread also asks for realism and no matter what manager you are you can't be expect to just transform things over night. That's not saying he can't get much more out of these lads than Brendan, of course I believe he can but I also understand that coaching and implementing a style has teething problems and a period of adjustment. Doing that without a pre-season will be a difficult task and hence why I believe people should temper their expectations for this year.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Reply #61: Oct 08, 2015 12:13:32 pm
      Really?! You do rate the players we bought very highly then. I personally think that is way above where our expectations should be for this year. I think City and Arsenal are both much stronger than we are right now and I don't realistically expect us to get in the top 2.

There's going to be a transitional period through both change of tactic and personnel, I think top 4 this season would be a decent standard to set, if he can achieve that then I would be impressed. I'm more than willing to give him this season as a settling in period, assess his players, identify the main weaknesses and address them in the next two windows (winter and summer).

Next year is when expectations should rise signficantly, I think a top 4 finish would be bare minimum and a decent run in a major cup competition, a title challenge certainly not beyond the realms of possibility. The year after that I would expect to be challenging for the title, I know it asks for patience again but the thread also asks for realism and no matter what manager you are you can't be expect to just transform things over night. That's not saying he can't get much more out of these lads than Brendan, of course I believe he can but I also understand that coaching and implementing a style has teething problems and a period of adjustment. Doing that without a pre-season will be a difficult task and hence why I believe people should temper their expectations for this year.

I think by going for Klopp they have two plans in mind Luke.

The obvious building he will do for the future but also for that impact a guy like him will have in the short term.

If we have learned anything about football over the last decade or so is that there isn't really time for 5 year plans and the like and I have a suspicion Klopp will come in and want to hit the ground running.

I don't think he will publicly come out with any real comments on expectations, although I'd love it if he did, but inside I think he sees a challenge here but one that he quite quickly can make an impact in.

The reason we're brining him in is he massively improves the sum of the parts and I think our 'parts' are pretty good already so I do have high expectations.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #62: Oct 08, 2015 12:17:35 pm
      I think by going for Klopp they have two plans in mind Luke.

The obvious building he will do for the future but also for that impact a guy like him will have in the short term.

If we have learned anything about football over the last decade or so is that there isn't really time for 5 year plans and the like and I have a suspicion Klopp will come in and want to hit the ground running.

I don't think he will publicly come out with any real comments on expectations, although I'd love it if he did, but inside I think he sees a challenge here but one that he quite quickly can make an impact in.

The reason we're brining him in is he massively improves the sum of the parts and I think our 'parts' are pretty good already so I do have high expectations.

I basically agree with this in everything except this season mate. I honestly think even the best manager (which I personally believe he is) will struggle for that instant implementation of a plan. Sure we'll probably get the bounce factor and go on a few wins, that's natural when most managers change and players seem to give that extra push to impress and get in the first XI but his style I don't believe will fit with some of the players and he can't be held accountable for that without a chance to change them.

So I'm not saying it's beyond the realms of possibility, although I do believe City will run away with it, I just feel expectations should be kept apart from hopes to avoid disappointment and to carry the wave of optimism into next year.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Reply #63: Oct 08, 2015 12:20:29 pm
      I basically agree with this in everything except this season mate. I honestly think even the best manager (which I personally believe he is) will struggle for that instant implementation of a plan. Sure we'll probably get the bounce factor and go on a few wins, that's natural when most managers change and players seem to give that extra push to impress and get in the first XI but his style I don't believe will fit with some of the players and he can't be held accountable for that without a chance to change them.

So I'm not saying it's beyond the realms of possibility, although I do believe City will run away with it, I just feel expectations should be kept apart from hopes to avoid disappointment and to carry the wave of optimism into next year.

I won't be disappointed if we don't win it mate purely because I'm not an idiot and think everything we except to happen will happen but like I said its a perfectly reasonable ambition for Klopp to have given where we sit right now.

JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #64: Oct 08, 2015 12:24:10 pm
      a trophy of any kind isnt out of the question
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #65: Oct 08, 2015 12:29:50 pm
      Call me crazy but 5 points off the top...we could have a tilt at the title if he hits the ground running.

Don't let that margin grow between us and the team at the top until January and we could run 'em down with a signing or two.

But i think top four and a run in the EL would do me just fine.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,730 posts | 7165 
      Reply #66: Oct 08, 2015 01:16:19 pm
      1 win in 9 it would be hard not to improve on that. I think it will be very interesting to see how the players react to Klopp and how he sees them. I am not expecting anything before the new year in terms of form and results .
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4596 
      Reply #67: Oct 08, 2015 01:57:39 pm
      German managers strive to create a perfect system. There is a clear chain of command in each department and information and instructions are passed down from the top. Nonetheless, considerable value is placed on consensus

http://uk.businessinsider.com/leadership-styles-around-the-world-2013-12?r=US&IR=T

I expect an efficient team with amazing results.

Hopefully Klopp will give us an unexpected run in Europe, challenge for the champions league slots & possibly a domestic cup which I think he will achieve.
      BostonScouse
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 715 posts | 106 
      Reply #68: Oct 08, 2015 03:05:47 pm
      I expect (given we secure Klopp) a different plan/system of play that will likely bring some players in from the cold(Marko, Ilori?), while some of Rodgers' favorites will be looking at some time on the bench. The team needs to have a clear plan during games.

Bottom line: he will need to foster a more integrated team dynamic and be more of a motivator than Rodgers was. He will put our players through tougher physical training. He will likely focus on turning us into a solid defensive unit with quick forwards and wingers to exploit the breaks we create by stopping opposition attacks and hoofing it forward.

I think he will be a less dogmatic manager - and one who will bring joy back to this club. He will understand that you need to win the really big games. Under him we will stick it to the mancs and chavs. Fc Sion and Bordeaux too, for that matter!

Quick Reply