Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1543652 times
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1544 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #10672: Jan 21, 2017 10:08:39 pm
      Aaaaaaand breathe......

Champions league place and a cup final win?

That'll do me.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #10673: Jan 21, 2017 10:17:44 pm
      I know what you mean love. Just back away, let those who do find the scapegoat in the match thread and come back later when most have chilled their boots.

We're not even two thirds of the way through a season with Jürgen, he'll come good, a cool head knows that, a kneejerk head thinks entirely different.

Belief is a strange thing but if you don't have it then failure is virtually guaranteed isn't it?

It's not a question of "coming good", it's likely as not too late for that this season. Rather, it's a question of will he learn that he simply cannot get away with a minimalist squad and rely on the under-23s in this league? What've been suffering from this Winter is a threadbare squad, it's the consequences of his decision to do transfer business that was net positive. Henderson struggling with his heal still, Clyne playing after receiving a pain killing injection for his rib injury, the recent loss of Coutinho, none of whom have quality back up waiting in the wings. This is the second year he's refused to buy in January and the second year running that we've wilted as a result. Two losses and a draw last year, two draws and a loss this year. We've turned into Arsenal, falling out of the title race in Jan (who funnily enough also have a manager that refuses to buy in Jan). It's not good enough, especially since traditionally we've done some of our best business in this window.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #10674: Jan 21, 2017 10:26:17 pm
      Yes I must confess I think the main "over reaction" today has been to the perceived people chucking toys out of the pram, when in reality it hasn't happened at all. As you say bmck those who are finding it all a bit OTT have short memories. We haven't seen anyone seriously suggesting we "get a defensive coach in", nor have we seen people saying Jürgen got "schooled" by Clement, or that Can "has something" on the boss to explain why he keeps getting picked. The reality is that there has been a band of fans on here denying until they are blue in the face that we haven't been playing well and jumping on anyone who suggested otherwise, now it's been kind of proven that they were talking bollocks they are accusing others of over reacting.

For my part I've been a little concerned about how we're playing for a while now, and was worried as early as 15 minutes into todays game. We aren't playing anywhere near fast enough or with anywhere near enough intensity I don't think, and although it seems like an easy dig to me we look leggy.

The other big problem we are encountering is that teams have sussed us out a bit and we don't currently have an answer. I suppose we oughtn't to be overly surprised that as our two main methods of breaking teams down was to rob them of possession in their third and/or to hit them on the break, teams have taken steps to make that unlikely. They don't in the main pass it around at the back against us, and they don't press up the pitch in numbers. We possess zero physical presence up top, and without Mane zero pace. As such, teams are quite happy to sit in, give us the ball and let us come at them. We don't seemingly have a plan to overcome the tactic, and we can pass it around in front of teams all night and not create a chance. Being a bit of a traditionalist/boring old tw*t myself, I prefer the standard method of breaking deep sitting teams down, namely that you go a bit more route oneish and play with a target man. People asking "who on earth could we buy" might get an answer they'd be surprised with off me, I'd go for a physical striker with aerial presence. The best two teams in the league have one, we ought to consider getting one too.   
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #10675: Jan 21, 2017 10:51:53 pm
      I ought to say here that I aren't saying we should buy Benteke back or anything. A short to medium term fix though might be a Peter Crouch type, an Ighalo perhaps, Olivier Giroud, that sort of player. There's no doubt hundreds of them abroad, but I don't really watch much world football. Come to think of it the bloke who scored two goals against us today ain't too shabby either.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #10676: Jan 21, 2017 11:04:11 pm
      You know, it occurs to me that Klopp is still adapting to not having a winter break, but he knows the importance of rest in his system.
      He rests players when he can, and I'm sure over time he'll build the squad he wants.

He won't be satisfied with a stop-gap player; it's the player he wants, or nothing.

We know this, I mean ffs he's said it often enough that he won't spend for the sake of it.

It's his way, and he's the bloke who is made or or not on the back of those decisions.

It's one loss and a blip in what would ordinarily be thought of as an excellent season, and when we start charging again, I hope those who doubt him have the humility to admit it.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #10677: Jan 21, 2017 11:07:53 pm
      I ought to say here that I aren't saying we should buy Benteke back or anything. A short to medium term fix though might be a Peter Crouch type, an Ighalo perhaps, Olivier Giroud, that sort of player. There's no doubt hundreds of them abroad, but I don't really watch much world football. Come to think of it the bloke who scored two goals against us today ain't too shabby either.

I was thinking that Llorente might be a good purchase for us as well
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #10678: Jan 21, 2017 11:10:21 pm
      You know, it occurs to me that Klopp is still adapting to not having a winter break, but he knows the importance of rest in his system.
      He rests players when he can, and I'm sure over time he'll build the squad he wants.

He won't be satisfied with a stop-gap player; it's the player he wants, or nothing.

We know this, I mean ffs he's said it often enough that he won't spend for the sake of it.

It's his way, and he's the bloke who is made or or not on the back of those decisions.

It's one loss and a blip in what would ordinarily be thought of as an excellent season, and when we start charging again, I hope those who doubt him have the humility to admit it.

Sorry but it's not just a blip, it turning into a goal drought and a serious problem now. I hope Klopp can figure out that dropping his countryman might be the first step.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #10679: Jan 21, 2017 11:13:11 pm

Andy Carrol? :D
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #10680: Jan 21, 2017 11:28:01 pm
      Sorry but it's not just a blip, it turning into a goal drought and a serious problem now. I hope Klopp can figure out that dropping his countryman might be the first step.

Yet we still are on course to achieve targets for this season which was Champions League football.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4420 
      Reply #10681: Jan 21, 2017 11:35:05 pm
      Yet we still are on course to achieve targets for this season which was Champions League football.

I think the worry is a few more weeks of how we have been playing and we will be looking from outside of Top 4, just a couple of weeks ago we had a 9 pt advantage over Utd, today it's 4 pts.

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #10682: Jan 22, 2017 12:50:08 am
      I think the worry is a few more weeks of how we have been playing and we will be looking from outside of Top 4, just a couple of weeks ago we had a 9 pt advantage over Utd, today it's 4 pts.

We can also turn it around in a few games to how we started off the season...I can put my house on it the boss & his staff are working on a plan to get us firing on all cylinders again...we just need to get onboard & not expect the man to do it on his own..

You don't go from 6th the previous season to winning the league this season... ;)
      Binomial
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 885 posts | 37 
      • Doing things over and expecting different results
      Reply #10683: Jan 22, 2017 12:55:34 am
      He brings on Matip in the 91st min man  :lmao:
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #10684: Jan 22, 2017 06:29:47 am
      [quote author= AZPatriot

The boss and squad can make no excuses losing to a club like Swansea at home, just none, that being said its not time to give up and throw a fit because when we click we are capable of pulling off 8-10 wins in row; were still in this hunt but its time to man up.
      [/quote]
                   I recall a time when Bill Shankly was our Boss and we played Swansea at Anfield in a F.A.Cup Tie,I think it was 1964 or thereabouts.Well it was the most one sided match I ever saw and we battered them except they beat us 2-1.I still remember the lad who scored for Swansea,it was Eddie Thomas an ex Everton player.He got 2 breakaways and scored.So while the Boss can make no excuses for losing to a club like Swansea it does happen.By the way just like in 1964 I am not happy with this result but we did win the league in 1964.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #10685: Jan 22, 2017 08:53:41 am
      I think we already knew the Jürgen is stubborn, so it shouldn't be a surprise that he keeps faith with players that aren't cutting the mustard. Yesterday was proof if it was needed that he needs to be more flexible.
      Still a long way to go, but I'm disappointed that people seem to have lowered their expectations, it was only a few weeks ago that we were in a position to win the league, now were hoping to stay in the top 4.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1544 
      Reply #10686: Jan 22, 2017 08:55:50 am
      To be fair to the boss, I don't think he is making excuses for losing to Swansea, I think he's as frustrated as we all are
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #10687: Jan 22, 2017 09:30:52 am
      Clyne playing after an injection, Hendo playing with an ongoing heel problem, Can playing trying to do what Lallana does, Lallana playing as Mane and Mane not here which everybody knew was coming.

And yet this squad can't be strengthened even slightly in January?

Na.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #10688: Jan 22, 2017 09:52:41 am
      At least 3 of our rivals only picked a point this weekend but obviously we have a very tough game coming up against the leaders. Lose that one and our title hopes will be well and truly extinguished along with the hopes of the rest of the league I suspect.

As for why we are struggling I think it's a combination of factors, clearly there is a little bit of tiredness, clearly we miss Mane and are not quite the same side without him and of course we also have our age old defensive frailties coming back to bite us. I've been pondering on this last one and am trying to work out whether it's the players or the system? Is it possible to be defensively solid when you throw so many bodies forward? I'm not sure that it is. The biggest challenge for Jürgen as I see it is to find a centre-forward to match the quality of a costa or an Aguero. If he could find one we wouldn't need to be quite so cavalier in possession and in turn might be able to find the balanced approach that has been missing at the club since Rafa's last decent season in 08-09.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #10689: Jan 22, 2017 10:21:21 am
      We're never going to win every game so would people prefer to have lost our 3 games to Chelsea, Arsenal and City instead of Burnley, Bournemouth and Swansea.

We'd still have the same points but we'd be in 5th instead of 3rd and 10 points behind top (13 if the chavs beat Hull).

We still aren't out of it but we could be if we weren't the game raising cu*ts other fans like to label us as. 

bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #10690: Jan 22, 2017 10:25:34 am
      Clyne playing after an injection, Hendo playing with an ongoing heel problem, Can playing trying to do what Lallana does, Lallana playing as Mane and Mane not here which everybody knew was coming.

And yet this squad can't be strengthened even slightly in January?

Na.

Apparently Perisic is available for around £30 million. Pacy winger who played under Klopp for two seasons albeit as a squad player.

He's in good form this season at Inter. If he can improve our squad then go get him. He's overpriced but that's what you pay for players in January.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1544 
      Reply #10691: Jan 22, 2017 10:27:00 am
      Sort your defence out and you're half way there.

The trouble under Rodgers and Klopp is we are (for whatever reason) unable to defend, and prone to making errors too frequently.

Rafa got a lot right, and some things wrong, but unless I'm mistaken, his defensive situation was solid. We scored 101 goals under Rodgers, but lost out because we shipped 51 goals (give or take a few goals here and there). I once heard the phrase that strikers win you games but defenders win you titles and I'm pretty sure all title winning sides have a good solid defence.

You can build from that, but if you're scoring goals and shipping goals, you're going to struggle to mount serious title challenges. I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm saying I'd like to see us with a solid defence and see where we go from that.
      « Last Edit: Jan 22, 2017 10:43:35 am by Rush »
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #10692: Jan 22, 2017 10:32:36 am
      Sort your defence out and you're half way there.

The trouble under Rodgers and Klopp is we are (for whatever reason) unable to defend, and prone to making errors too frequently.

Rafa got a lot right, and some things wrong, but unless I'm mistaken, his defensive situation was solid. We scored 101 goals under Rodgers, but lost out because we shipped 51 goals (give or take a few goals here and there). I once heard the phrase that strikers win you games but defenders win you titles and I'm pretty sure all title winning sides have a good solid defence.

You can build from that, but if you're scoring goals and shipping goals, you're not going to struggle to mount serious title challenges. I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm saying I'd like to see us with a solid defence and see where we go from that.

For starters Klavan should not start another game.

I would even play Gomez ahead of him at CB.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,726 posts | 3740 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #10693: Jan 22, 2017 10:48:15 am
      Klopp needs to play Lallana in the middle. I would prefer Origi to be on the right and Firmino playing as our main striker. Matip and Lovren as CBs.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #10694: Jan 22, 2017 10:55:07 am
      Yesterday was the game we needed to turn it around, we needed to win that game 3 or 4-0. Losing it is not a disaster point wise although if Chelsea win today then they have won the league in my opinion, they'll be 9 points ahead of Spurs and 10 ahead of us!
      We are still in a battle for top 4 but we now must start playing like we were at the start of the season but I'm not sure we can, yesterday really was a massive disappointment and Klopp and his team need to develop a plan B pretty damned fast, if that means getting a stop gap target man striker then FFS get it done.

Quick Reply