Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1544050 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,333 posts | 4960 
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #598: Oct 10, 2015 12:03:29 am
      Sorry lads but my intrigue will be in who he pairs as his centre halfs. After that barring injury who goes up top benteke or Sturridge

Head over to the tactics thread Bri and we'll get a chat going.

I've posted my inital thoughts.

Fair enough mate, I know Jürgen has played many variations of the 4231 / 433 / 5321 so there's definitely the option for it. He's much more likely to mould his formation around the squad than Brendan was in my opinion.

Can for me is one that I just struggle giving too much defensive responsibility.

I agree. His formation of choice has tended to be 4-2-3-1 as far as I'm aware but like you I think he will look at the sqaud first and foremost before trying to shoehorn players in when they don't fit.

I think we have workings of a 4-2-3-1 though.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #599: Oct 10, 2015 12:06:25 am
      Do you think Can is right though? Long term I can't see him making that position his own, one further forward then sure but deepest with Hendo I think the defensive stability they offer isn't strong enough.

That's what makes me think Lucas may just get this season to prove himself and as we know, with games, Lucas' stamina levels do increase (not Hendo levels of course).

Very interesting and exciting times.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if we sometimes see a trio of:

Lucas    Can

Hendo

With Coutinho and Firmino either side of Henderson. Not saying it would be the permanent setup but it could prove useful in some games. It would offer defensive stability, a driving force from deep and constant all round pressure from the tip of the midfield.

Jürgen usually favours a proper DM doesn't he? Sven Bender was often used, maybe we'll make an upgrade next summer and get somebody with a little more mobility than Lucas.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,333 posts | 4960 
      Reply #600: Oct 10, 2015 12:09:01 am
      Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if we sometimes see a trio of:

Lucas    Can

Hendo

With Coutinho and Firmino either side of Henderson. Not saying it would be the permanent setup but it could prove useful in some games. It would offer defensive stability, a driving force from deep and constant all round pressure from the tip of the midfield.

Jürgen usually favours a proper DM doesn't he? Sven Bender was often used, maybe we'll make an upgrade next summer and get somebody with a little more mobility than Lucas.

That could happen mate and I wouldn't be surprised as it then gets Hendo into thos attacking positions that he's very effective from.

Agree on the DM as Klopp seems to prefer one more defensive midfielder beside a more progressive or box to box player and it's one type of player I definitely see us buying if not in January but in the summer.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,356 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #601: Oct 10, 2015 12:15:27 am
      Wouldn't mind seeing young Gomez play defensive midfielder in a league cup tie or something. Pace good on the ball naturally defensive minded
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #602: Oct 10, 2015 12:16:38 am
      Wouldn't mind seeing young Gomez play defensive midfielder in a league cup tie or something. Pace good on the ball naturally defensive minded

Good shout that Bri, I definitely see a lot of qualities in the lad that could make a midfielder.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,333 posts | 4960 
      Reply #603: Oct 10, 2015 12:23:15 am
      Agree again with you two above.

Good to chat pure football again eh Luke? ;D

Edit: Pissed off you two have a Klopp avatar and I still haven't.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,240 posts | 850 
      Reply #604: Oct 10, 2015 12:28:41 am
      Someone rip Barretts article off The Times. He gave a second interview apparently.

He did mate

New Liverpool manager Jürgen Klopp has told his players in his first meeting today that the days of possession football are over.
      According to Tony Barrett of The Times he made it clear to Liverpool players that they have to accept his methods, telling them this is not a proposal, it is law.
      “Now we cannot talk about football philosophy and ball possession, playing like Barcelona, playing like whoever. No. This team needs to create their own style,” Klopp said.
      “If you have the ball you have to be creative, but you have to be prepared that if you lose the ball the counter-pressing is very important."
      “It is not a proposal, it is law. You cannot decide ‘um...’. You have to do it and you will. That is what we all have to learn, maybe. In these cases you can be different to other teams because they
      will all do their thing. I’m only interested in 100 per cent of each player. Now we have to work on that."
      “The only thing I need is players that want to help the team. They have to listen to what I say, because I believe it is better to have 11 players do the same thing wrong than everybody doing what they want.”
      Klopp will give his players the chance to prove themselves before heading to the transfer window.
      Talking if Liverpool can attract players without Champions League, he said:
      "Of course, not having Champions League football is a problem, but if a player doesn’t want to come to Liverpool then stay away."

I nicked it off from an FB group so don't have the proper article link
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,882 posts | 6815 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #605: Oct 10, 2015 12:39:07 am
      I just love this photo:

Look at the difference.

Just love the way it looks like Klopp says to these fuckers, "This is my Club now, don't F**k with me".....compared to Brendan who looks like he's saying, Yes Sir, Yes Sir, 3 bags full!!!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,333 posts | 4960 
      Reply #606: Oct 10, 2015 12:41:26 am
      I just love this photo:

Look at the difference.

Just love the way it looks like Klopp says to these fuckers, "This is my Club now, don't F**k with me".....compared to Brendan who looks like he's saying, Yes Sir, Yes Sir, 3 bags full!!!

Brendan looks like he's been just made Head Boy at High School. ;D
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #607: Oct 10, 2015 12:50:47 am
      How could anyone not love this man!

I've already watched his presser from this morning 4 times. He has a natural charisma I have not seen in a manager before it really is a breath of fresh air!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,882 posts | 6815 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #608: Oct 10, 2015 12:54:01 am

I've already watched his presser from this morning 4 times. He has a natural charisma I have not seen in a manager before it really is a breath of fresh air!

Loved his presser as well mate. The man has great Charisma and I'm pretty sure this is the first time in a long, long time the fans have something to really get excited about. He's brought us all together under the Klopp Banner! Can't F***ing wait till the Tottenham game to see what he has in store for our Team.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #609: Oct 10, 2015 12:58:22 am

and now you see why I was completely and utterly obsessed the moment his name got mentioned!

Loved his presser as well mate. The man has great Charisma and I'm pretty sure this is the first time in a long, long time the fans have something to really get excited about. He's brought us all together under the Klopp Banner! Can't f**king wait till the Tottenham game to see what he has in store for our Team.

Literally counting down the days mate, so excited, I mean this kind of news even beats your posting in the 'very hot woman thread'.... so I've been told  :f_whistle:
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #610: Oct 10, 2015 01:08:06 am
      Noticed Klopp binned the proposal of possession football and alluded that (or this is what I took from the interview), the fundamentals hadn't been put in place to play this brand of football.

I liked Rodgers' philosophy about possession football; but let's be fair he never seemed to get a grip of the fundamental, or even, had a philosophy about defending. Yes, similar to Klopp he likes his teams to press but that isn't the complete art of defending. I think structure and foundations need to be laid prior to the aesthetics and creativity, of a side who are in full flow. During the season where we finished second we actually got away with just playing/using the aesthetics of nice football, creativity and flair, while we still were abysmal defensively, Palace 3-3 anyone? Approaching games like this in the season which saw us finish second would most definitely be the exception to the rule of: Build from the back.

Then, in the end, and many will point to Suarez leaving and Sturridge being injured, we lost all the goals, and attacking threat that made neutrals enjoy our football. Once this was ripped apart, we were left with a team devoid of ideas up top, and goals and one that still leaked goals like there was tomorrow. This, made us look like what you'd consider and average Premiership outfit.

It was good to see Klopp speak about building the defense first, he stated 'you don't start building at the top of the team first', I presumed this to be the attack, and I think this is what Rodgers did, to his detriments. Yes, he splurged money on the defense probably believing this alone would solve our problems but on the contrary it had the opposite affect. I think working on and with the defense was shunned, in the sense that there was no noticeable difference from beginning to end in our defense during Rodgers' tenure; concluding that from our team's performances week in week out. The focus was more on the attack. But, like I said, when that too fell to bits, we looked totally vulnerable and practically hoped and poked our way through games without having any cornerstone of guidance, structure and shape in our side to fall back on.

I think Klopp will sort out the defense first, he alluded he would and God I hope so. Being a CB himself, and a good manager who managed a team in Germany that could defend he must know how to get a team to defend - coupled with "counter" pressing this would make us more formidable to breakdown. I think this is where we'll hopefully see notable improvements by the end of the season. I did read (BS rumour no doubt) that he was thinking of drafting in Subotic, but even until this happens, I think he'll be working on the team to organise themselves to be more defensively astute than they have been. I think Can or Gomez especially could be an eventual prospect in defense alongside Sahko.
      « Last Edit: Oct 10, 2015 05:41:46 am by Beerbelly »
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #611: Oct 10, 2015 02:23:54 am
      Noticed Klopp binned the proposal of possession football and alluded that (or this is what I took from the interview), the fundamentals hadn't been put in place to play this brand of football.

I liked Rodgers' philosophy about possession football; but let's be fair he never seemed to get a grip of the fundamental, or even, had a philosophy about defending. Yes, similar to Klopp he likes his teams to press but that isn't the complete art of defending in itself. I think structure and some foundations need to be laid into place before the aesthetics and creativity of a side are in full flow. During the season where we finished second we actually got away with just playing/using the aesthetics of nice football, creativity and flair, while we still were abysmal defensively, Palace 3-3 anyone? Approaching games like this in the season which saw us finish second would most definitely be the exception to the rule of: Build from the back.

Then, in the end and many will point to Suarez leaving and Sturridge being injured, we lost all the goals, and attacking threat that made neutrals enjoy our football. Once this was ripped apart, we were left with a team devoid of ideas up top, and goals and one that still leaked goals like there was tomorrow. This, made us look like what you'd consider and average Premiership outfit.

It was good to see Klopp speak about building the defense first, he alluded you don't start building at the top of the team first, I presumed this to be the attack, and I think this is what Rodgers did, to his detriments. Yes, he splurged money on the defense probably believing this alone would solve our problems but on the contrary it had the opposite affect. I think working on and with the defense was shunned, concluding that from our team's performances week in week out, and the focus was more on the attack. But, like I said, when that too fell to bits, we looked totally vulnerable and practically hoped and poked our way through games without having any cornerstone of guidance, structure and shape in our side to fall back on.

I think Klopp will sort out the defense first, he alluded he would and God I hope so. Being a CB himself, and a good manager who managed a team in Germany that could defend he must know how to get a team to defend - coupled with "counter" pressing this would make us more formidable to breakdown. I think this is where we'll hopefully see notable improvements by the end of the season. I did read (BS rumour no doubt) that he was thinking of drafting in Subotic, but even until this happens, I think he'll be working on the team to organise themselves to be more defensively astute than they have been. I think Can or Gomez especially could be an eventual prospect in defense alongside Sahko.

There is this perception that Klopp couldn't make his team defend but his 2011-12 title winning side had a fantastic defensive record.

I'm not so sure what he can do with our centre backs - Skrtel in particular who cannot play with the ball at his feet or has no intelligent capabilities either - constantly out of position and only making last gasp tackles which may look good but, in reality, the opposition shouldn't have got to that stage if their positioning was much better.

So I'll say this now, I think he's a definite goner under Klopp (especially reading the Anfield HQ article posted on the other thread). Lovren - I still think there is hope there for him to do something as he looked capable at Southampton and he does offer with the ball at his feet but I wouldn't at all be surprised if Klopp persisted with Gomez and Sakho at centre back. He will drill the the defence and then assess whether they are good enough.
      « Last Edit: Oct 10, 2015 02:52:44 am by Son Of A Gun »
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #612: Oct 10, 2015 02:33:25 am
      There is this perception that Klopp couldn't make his team defend but his 2011-12 title winning side had a fantastic defensive record.

I'm not so sure what he can do with our centre backs - Skrtel in particular who cannot play with the ball at his feet or has no intelligent capabilities either - constantly out of position and only making last gasp tackles which may look good but, in reality, the opposition shouldn't have got to that stage if their positioning was much better.

So I'll say this now, I think he's a definite goner under Klopp. Lovren - I still think there is hope there for him to do something as he looked capable at Southampton and he does offer with the ball at his feet but I wouldn't at all be surprised if Klopp persisted with Gomez and Sakho at centre back. He will drill the the defence and then assess whether they are good enough.

Mate, I'll be honest, I haven't analysed Klopp's record. I'm going by opinions of people on this forum.

But, I did listen to his interview to try and get a gist of his methodology, or whatever you want to call it.

I think, when talking about our defense the midfield, should come into the equation too. A shield like. But too often, it has been our back line that has let us down more than anything else.

He may not be able to do too much with Skertel & co, he may even have a look at Can or Gomez to bring in, like you said.

Lovren, IMO, if ever there was a 'gonna' I think he would lead the bets in this by a country mile - but y'never-know!
      TeslaPhysics
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 985 posts | 32 
      Reply #613: Oct 10, 2015 02:53:00 am
      Long day, finally was able to watch the first interview and press conference..

I was like....

https://youtu.be/iHkcM5ZTieU
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #614: Oct 10, 2015 03:30:58 am
      Love it.

Don't see Stevie back here though mate

Wouldn't write that off like.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #615: Oct 10, 2015 03:57:50 am
      ...... didn't sign a real Defensive midfielder even though we were crying out for one. Couldn't hold a clean sheet to save our lives. And we had too many bad defeats. (i wont list them) and he had no history of turning things around.

This statement particularly catches my attention, been saying it for the last 3 seasons that we need a Masch like DM and it will give us greater balance in the middle of the pitch. I'm sure manager of Klopp's calibre would have already seen that.

glines
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 158 posts |
      Reply #616: Oct 10, 2015 04:40:52 am
      In the last few days, we have seen Klopp's influence directly in uniting the fans and galvanising a positive, optimistic feeling tempered with a small does of realism and patience. From my ever-pessimistic friend to my enthusiastic son, we're all feeling good, and more proud to be a Liverpool supporter. It's like there's this really beautiful woman that lots of guys like but we're the one she's picked.

Seeing his first interview on LFCTV, you just can't help but smile. Yes, it's sometimes easy to say the right thing, but it was often the case under the previous regime that they couldn't even do that.

I had Utd and Spurs supporting kids coming up to me at school today (I'm a teacher, not a pupil!) bemoaning the fact that we've got JK. Even 11 year olds realise how good this manager can be.

If he can unite the fans so quickly, I feel sure that he'll be able to bring the players together and teach them how to care about their club again. That has been the difficult thing for me over the last couple of seasons - the fact that I can watch a game and feel that I would put a greater shift in than some of these players. Stevie cared. Suarez cared. Agger cared. Carra cared. I want to see players giving a sh*t about the result, busting a gut to make a difference, leaving nothing on the pitch. We have the players and with the right mentality and input, they could be like that. I can see it in Hendo, Can, Ings, Rossiter and even Gomez. Jürgen can make the others believe, make them care.

I can hear the sweet silver song of a lark. It's faint but it's getting louder...
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,245 posts | 1226 
      Reply #617: Oct 10, 2015 04:59:12 am
      I like this guy.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #618: Oct 10, 2015 05:25:55 am
      Jürgen Klopp lays down the law on his first day as Liverpool manager

Andy Hunter
      Friday 9 October 2015 22.29 BST Last modified on Friday 9 October 2015 23.20 BST

Jürgen Klopp said his ambition for Liverpool was not to conquer the world but “conquer the ball each time” as he warned players his way was the only way to succeed at Anfield.

The 48-year-old was unveiled at a packed Anfield press conference on Friday where he described himself as the Normal One, vowed to bring “emotional football” to Liverpool and embraced the club’s often criticised transfer committee system.

He also targeted a trophy within four years or his next job, he suggested, would be in Switzerland. Later, away from the television cameras, he signalled an immediate departure from the Brendan Rodgers era by declaring it was premature to discuss football philosophies or possession tactics. Rodgers did precisely that at his unveiling as Liverpool manager. Klopp claimed Liverpool’s intense approach to football, as a city and a club, had persuaded him to abandon a sabbatical after four months and sign a three-year contract with “the cool guys” of Fenway Sports Group.

Liverpool’s hiring of the German, like Arsenal’s recruitment of the Frenchman, is an appointment to refresh the Premier League, to refuel the intellectual rocket launchers. Treasure him while you can

Seemingly surprised at his status as one of the biggest draws in the Premier League, he also appealed for privacy having been photographed at his hotel window in the city on Thursday. “I am not the guy who is going to go out and shout: ‘We are going to conquer the world!’ or something like this. But we will conquer the ball, each F***ing time. We will chase the ball. We will run more, fight more,” said the former Borussia Dortmund coach, who will earn up to £7m a year at Anfield.

He added: “The only thing I need is players that want to help the team. They have to listen to what I say.

“That is very important because I believe it is better to have 11 players do the same thing wrong than everybody doing what they want. We have to do it one way and that is my way. Now we cannot talk about football philosophy and ball possession, playing like Barcelona, playing like whoever. No, this team needs to create their own style.

“If you have the ball you have to be creative but you have to be prepared that if you lose the ball the counter-pressing is very important.

“It is very important in football. It is not a proposal, it is law.

“You have to do it and you will. That is what we all have to learn, maybe. I’m only interested in 100% of each player. Now we have to work on that.”

Klopp revealed he spent his four months out of the game with family, playing tennis and watching football around the world. But, having joined Liverpool despite being linked with title-challenging teams guaranteeing Champions League football, such as Bayern Munich, he denied relishing an underdog status.

“I enjoy being an underdog? No,” he said, laughing. “For managers it is very important that you can influence the things on the pitch, that you can change the things in a better direction, of course. I’ve never seen or been talking to these other clubs. I don’t think about things like this. I’ve never had a plan for my career. I react on what happens and I hear what I feel inside. For me, it fits perfect.”

The Stuttgart-born coach made frequent references to the Premier League’s obsession with money and, in another departure from several previous Liverpool managers, insisted it would not define his ability to construct a successful team.

Asked whether Liverpool could attract a player of the calibre of Marco Reus without Champions League football, having failed to entice several targets during Rodgers’ reign, Klopp replied: “I absolutely don’t care about this.

“If we cannot sign a player like him then we are not interested in him. We will have to take other players. The whole world plays football, there are players everywhere.

“It is only here that money is such a big thing. It is money, money, money. OK, there is much money. You don’t have to spend all the money. You can hold it and make something else. Of course, not having Champions League football is a problem, it is a negative. Of course, it should be a target for all ambitious teams to play in the Champions League, for sure. But only four go in. You have to fight for it, not just talk about it. You don’t have to speak always.

“You have to look at which players are reachable and not dream of this player or that player and then say: ‘But they don’t want to come to Liverpool.’ If a player doesn’t want to come to Liverpool then stay away. Really. If you think about the weather, stay away. If you think about other things, stay away. If you want to come here, you are welcome. That is the first and most important issue.”

Klopp admitted he had watched Liverpool’s last three games before his appointment – Everton, FC Sion in the Europa League and the 3-2 win over Aston Villa eight days before Rodgers’ departure. “Three until now and ask me on Sunday and I will have seen 20,” he said.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/oct/09/Jürgen-klopp-liverpool-manager-lays-down-law-anfield

Klopp had watched the last 3 Liverpool games, maybe significant in timing when Klopps interest became more than just a passing one, and perhaps why FSG said Brendan was gone no matter the result at Everton.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #619: Oct 10, 2015 07:06:35 am
      I can see us playing 4-2-3-1 under Klopp :)

Something like this : Mignolet-Clyne-Skrtel-Sakho-Emre Can-Lucas-Henderson-Sturridge-Coutinho-Firmino-Benteke
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #620: Oct 10, 2015 07:08:01 am
      Asked whether Liverpool could attract a player of the calibre of Marco Reus without Champions League football, having failed to entice several targets during Rodgers’ reign, Klopp replied: “I absolutely don’t care about this.

“If we cannot sign a player like him then we are not interested in him. We will have to take other players. The whole world plays football, there are players everywhere.

Very interested by this quote (one I totally agree with).

Hopefully our scouting network will be extended, or get a revamp, because it has looked very limited and unimaginative in recent times.

I think I read one time (admittedly a few years ago!) that we had no scouts in Africa. That's a F***ing continent, and if we want to compete with less funds than some other teams, then IMO we need to be looking at as many players as possible.

Quick Reply