Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1544158 times
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #6992: May 02, 2016 09:06:25 am
      So are you one of those people that stay inside your house because someone could lose control of their car, jump the sidewalk and run you over?

Do you not fly because the plane could crash?

Get over it. Life is full of risks and those that cowher in fear don't really live.

How about this, imagine we'd have played the senior players, and no one got injured but we won!!!!!!!!

Now there's a daydream I can buy into.

Thank God Jürgen lives in the reality of the situation we are facing  rather than cloud cuckoo land.

We have two fit midfielders in Allen and Lucas both of whom are injury prone, and liable to breakdown at the end of a tough season playing 3 games in such a short time.

Unfortunately the injuries to Henderson and Can are really hurting and could not have come at a worse time.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #6993: May 02, 2016 09:08:27 am
      If a player cant play two games a week.

Call me old fashioned but I still cant understand why we have to rest players between games in the modern era of super fitness.

It makes Bill Shankly's use of only 14 players over a full season even more remarkable,plus the fact there was no subs at that particular time.The question is ,were the players harder then and more important did they have more desire to be the best and do their best for L.F.C. Any prima donnas were soon shown the exit door at Anfield.I wonder what Gerry Byrne makes of todays footballers.
      « Last Edit: May 02, 2016 10:06:07 am by Billy1 »
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #6994: May 02, 2016 09:13:22 am
      As I said in my post above "Unless you really have something to play for in the league most sides results tend to fall away when they are on a cup run"
      If we are being honest that nearly always tends to be the case s@int. Personally I find it completely understandable (if not wholly acceptable).

You'll also have the odd one or two who will (purposely) completely forget about other mitigating factors.

In Kenny's last season we played numerous games without our first choice midfield and following Charlie Adam's injury for a few games; the 'senior' midfield player was Jay Spearing, partnered by Jonjo Shelvey. A double whammy... it was only natural that results declined. Most football fans understood that but sadly the ['I love Kenny but...'] minority were anything but silent.

John W, empowered by these 'fans', directed chairman Tom Werner to sack Kenny. His excuse? "... results in the Premier League have been disappointing and we believe to build on the progress that has already been made, we need to make a change."

You know what tho'... while you'll still get the odd fan unable to admit that they were wrong; it's great to see that, not only have FSG learned that it's really F***ing stupid to sack a manager in such circumstances, almost every fan has too.

I'll happily take a cup final or two and/or maybe a cup over finishing 5th instead of 6th.  8)
      « Last Edit: May 02, 2016 09:34:36 am by bad boy bubby »
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #6995: May 02, 2016 09:16:43 am
      Kenny got sacked for defending Suarez not for failing to win the FA cup or our league position...

Liverpool chairman Tom Werner has admitted it was a tough decision, but ultimately one that needed to be made.
      "Kenny came into the club as manager at our request at a time when Liverpool really needed him. He didn't ask to be manager; he was asked to assume the role.
      "He did so because he knew the club needed him. He did more than anyone else to stabilize Liverpool over the past year-and-a-half and to get us once again looking forward. We owe him a great debt of gratitude.
      "However, results in the Premier League have been disappointing and we believe to build on the progress that has already been made, we need to make a change.

They could be just a shower of lying cu*ts tho.  ;D

Still they then got "their man" and bought themselves another three years.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyhows... back on topic.

I know Jürgen appeared to dismiss the idea of a high number of signings but the truth is: he's not averse to signing huge numbers of players himself.

Funds permitting we could easily be looking at even bigger numbers than under the previous regime.

I know that 'big numbers' should not go down well with some fans (given their 'previous' on the subject) but I suspect it might be forgiven. The truth is; Jürgen's 'numbers' at Dortmund, dwarf Brendan's and make them look reserved...

* 1st season - 17 sold, 13 signed.
      * 2nd season - 8 sold, 14 signed. And...
      * 3rd season - 12 sold, 12 signed [along with the title  ;)]

The Summer window could be the biggest, numerically, in years - even bigger than "Brendan's" shopping spree last year.  :o

I can't wait. ;D

« Last Edit: May 02, 2016 10:13:16 am by bad boy bubby »
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #6996: May 02, 2016 10:01:13 am
      True - interesting to see what those who were criticising us playing a "B side" against Real will post when we still had a chance to get into the Champions League via the Prem.

That particular time we were sandwiched between playing Chelsea and Madrid.

This time, we're sandwiched playing between Swansea and Villarreal.

Spot the difference.

vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #6997: May 02, 2016 10:14:23 am
      Kenny was one year into a three year contract. He was a long term appointment, not an "interim coach".

Kenny could have been a long term prospect if he had won all before him, FSG aren't stupid. Kenny bought them time , he was never a long term prospect.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #6998: May 02, 2016 10:17:14 am

Onto current matters, and it looks like the players put the feet up for the season at half time against Newcastle.

Nah EFC ATW Rafa put their feet up. You know it
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,727 posts | 3741 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #6999: May 02, 2016 10:20:37 am
      Klopp has to repay us for last Thursday and yesterday with a huge win next Thursday. He had two below level performances, the worst was on thursday.

Come on Klopp.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #7000: May 02, 2016 11:22:20 am
      It makes Bill Shankly's use of only 14 players over a full season even more remarkable,plus the fact there was no subs at that particular time.The question is ,were the players harder then and more important did they have more desire to be the best and do their best for L.F.C. Any prima donnas were soon shown the exit door at Anfield.I wonder what Gerry Byrne makes of todays footballers.

Fish and Chips with Shanks  after the game and every first team player on £40 a week in the late sixties.
      On the forum you will find a squad photo taken in the Melwood Car Park. Simple bog standard cars not Bentleys and Rollers.

14 squad players. Knockout European games not Groups where you can hide a loss.

Plus a football when wet was like concrete.

Still live in't shoebox in't middle of road Billy mate ...

;D
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #7001: May 02, 2016 11:27:30 am
      That particular time we were sandwiched between playing Chelsea and Madrid.

This time, we're sandwiched playing between Swansea and Villarreal.

Spot the difference.

and TPM fu**ed both the former games up in one week didnt he ?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #7002: May 02, 2016 11:34:51 am
      Thank God Jürgen lives in the reality of the situation we are facing  rather than cloud cuckoo land.

We have two fit midfielders in Allen and Lucas both of whom are injury prone, and liable to breakdown at the end of a tough season playing 3 games in such a short time.

Unfortunately the injuries to Henderson and Can are really hurting and could not have come at a worse time.
      3 games in a short time? :lmao:

How do you explain the NBA playoffs? Where guys are playing 3 games often times with only one day of rest between? And that's after an 82 game season......

Are you saying footballers just aren't able to cope as well as basketball players?
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,245 posts | 1226 
      Reply #7003: May 02, 2016 11:37:14 am
      The problem is not just about team selection. The problem is also that players tend to have one eye on the big game coming up. Unless you really have something to play for in the league most sides results tend to fall away when they are on a cup run. Even most supporters went into today's game with a "meh" attitude.

I don't think we have helped ourselves with our decisions over the last couple of weeks but hopefully everything now will be focused on Thursday. My worry is that you can't just turn it on and off like a tap and we really need to be at our best for this game.

Jürgen has a lot of work to do this week and he really needs to get this one right.

I agree mate. It slightly concerns me that some of our league games are opportunities missed to maintain or build consistency going into the EL, particularly when we stink the place out.

There is an alternative theory which is that by playing like dog sh*t we actually put ourselves into that "owe fans a big performance, must bounce back" frame of mind, but on balance I'd rather we didn't have that feeling going into important season-defining games.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #7004: May 02, 2016 11:42:57 am

How do you explain the NBA playoffs? Where guys are playing 3 games often times with only one day of rest between? And that's after an 82 game season......

Are you saying footballers just aren't able to cope as well as basketball players?

What? Are you telling us that NBA is just as exhausting as football?...
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,242 posts | 850 
      Reply #7005: May 02, 2016 11:57:59 am

Have you ever played Basketball?

it's quite a fast paced sport, especially at high level in the NBA. It might not be as exhausting as football, but nevertheless requires a huge deal of fitness and running.

I agree with FL on this one.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #7006: May 02, 2016 11:59:47 am

Wait, are you telling me it's not? I sure hope you aren't going there.

It's true that NBA players likely cover a little less than half of what footballers do distance wise, but the constant start/stop, sprinting to side to side lateral movements, boxing out and physical play coupled with the number of times a player jumps into the air make it just as strenuous and taxing. I've played both so I have a pretty good understanding of the amount of effort involved. It's very close. And my point still stands, if NBA players can play 3 games with only a day of rest in between, footballers should be able to be counted on to play 3 games in one week.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #7007: May 02, 2016 12:00:12 pm
      Fish and Chips with Shanks  after the game and every first team player on £40 a week in the late sixties.
      On the forum you will find a squad photo taken in the Melwood Car Park. Simple bog standard cars not Bentleys and Rollers.

14 squad players. Knockout European games not Groups where you can hide a loss.

Plus a football when wet was like concrete.

Still live in't shoebox in't middle of road Billy mate ...

;D

Totally off topic but you know what Skip, we can all look back nostalgically to most things in our life.  As a child I can remember our cold, damp and draughty house that was so damp I had to pin the wallpaper to my bedroom wall 'cos it kept peeling off and the carpets rising and falling when the wind blew.  Hot water only once a week, on a Sunday, when everyone shared a bath and we were pretty well off compared to most but I wouldn't change it for the world  ;D 

Life was tougher but a damn sight easier in so many ways yet none of us would choose to go back to it after experiencing all the modern comforts of life nowadays (apart from my sister who likes the Victorian era).

Football in the upper echelons has changed, though it's not much different to those old days in the lower leagues, apart from the balls, the footware and the cars.

We have all contributed to the money footballers earn, from tickets, merchandice, tv packages etc even the internet we pay for to watch live games on streams.  It's no different to the way we contribute to moviestars, musicians and other sports people earning what they do, it's what happens when society has disposable income and wants to enjoy the good things in life.

I'm sure most of us on here drive better cars than our parents did, have better holidays to wonderfully exotic places that we didn't even know existed in our childhood. 

Are we also wrong for having that much money we can afford to do those things?  Or have we worked hard to become the best we can at our jobs to improve our standard of living and that of our children?

Back on topic - Jürgen Klopp, he's our Manager, who'da thought eh!!
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #7008: May 02, 2016 12:00:21 pm

What you are equating a non contact game with four 12 min quarters as similar intensity to football.

OK nothing to debate really.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #7009: May 02, 2016 12:00:48 pm
      Have you ever played Basketball?

it's quite a fast paced sport, especially at high level in the NBA. It might not be as exhausting as football, but nevertheless requires a huge deal of fitness and running.

I agree with FL on this one.

So you've basically agreed with what Shabs was questioning.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #7010: May 02, 2016 12:02:34 pm
      What you are equating a non contact game with four 12 min quarters as similar intensity to football.

OK nothing to debate really.
      Wait, are you saying basketball is non-contact?

Oh wow, some of you are clueless. :lmao:

I invite you to come play a pickup game of basketball with me and you can see for yourself if you think it's non-contact.

Some of you are talking out of your ass now. Just stop, you sound silly.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #7011: May 02, 2016 12:03:21 pm
      Wait, are you telling me it's not? I sure hope you aren't going there.

It's true that NBA players likely cover a little less than half of what footballers do distance wise, but the constant start/stop, sprinting to side to side lateral movements, boxing out and physical play coupled with the number of times a player jumps into the air make it just as strenuous and taxing. I've played both so I have a pretty good understanding of the amount of effort involved. It's very close. And my point still stands, if NBA players can play 3 games with only a day of rest in between, footballers should be able to be counted on to play 3 games in one week.

Must be so exhausting with those time outs and commercial breaks.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #7012: May 02, 2016 12:05:19 pm
      Wait, are you saying basketball is non-contact?

Oh wow, some of you are clueless. :lmao:

I invite you to come play a pickup game of basketball with me and you can see for yourself if you think it's non-contact.

Some of you are talking out of your ass now. Just stop, you sound silly.

Yes those sliding tackles must be a really bummer when your running at full pelt with a basketball. Probably the biggest cause of injuries eh  :lmao:
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,242 posts | 850 
      Reply #7013: May 02, 2016 12:06:02 pm
      So you've basically agreed with what Shabs was questioning.

I said it ''might'' as I'm not sure but I see where FL is coming from and I agree with him because I played basketball myself and felt the same the next day like I do when I play football with body and leg cramps all day.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #7014: May 02, 2016 12:06:47 pm
      Must be so exhausting with those time outs and commercial breaks.
      Yea, kinda like when attacking players get the chance to jog or walk around and rest when the ball makes its way back to our defensive 1/3.

When I play there are no commercials or timeouts, and there is no walking around on the court when I don't have the ball.

Quick Reply