Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager

Read 1531682 times
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #15640: Jan 09, 2018 11:30:55 am
      Our manager is more important than any of our players.

I have complete faith that he knows what he's doing and all we need is a bit of patience.

His transfer record so far has been really good and he showed he can wait to sign really good players that improve the team without resorting to panic buying.
      While I do not trust Klopp blindly, I do trust in him.
      But his transfer record include players like Marko Grujić, Dominic Solanke, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Ragnar Klavan. Players that can hardly be said to have set the premier league on fire, so as for saying "His transfer record so far has been really good and he showed he can wait to sign really good players that improve the team" I would say that his transfer record is as average as most managers. In klopp's case it boils down to what he is able to get out of those players, and thats where it really counts
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,653 posts | 3921 
      Reply #15641: Jan 09, 2018 11:33:09 am
      While I do not trust Klopp blindly, I do trust in him.
      But his transfer record include players like Marko Grujić, Dominic Solanke, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Ragnar Klavan. Players that can hardly be said to have set the premier league on fire, so as for saying "His transfer record so far has been really good and he showed he can wait to sign really good players that improve the team" I would say that his transfer record is as average as most managers. In klopp's case it boils down to what he is able to get out of those players, and thats where it really counts

How the F**k can you mention AOC, Solanke and Klavan?!

Ridiculous. Klavan has been excellent this season, Solanke is young and AOC is Prem proven and getting better all the time.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #15642: Jan 09, 2018 11:52:41 am
      We spent 221,300,000 quid in the last 2 years and you're saying we are a selling club?

221m, that's a lot of money and that shows how Klopp is being backed by the owners and contrary to conspiracy theorists on here all the money from player sales are going back to player recruitment. Most of the players we sold on the list Klopp didn't want them because they weren't his signings they were his predecessor's, so obviously the manager would want to get rid of the deadwood and bring in his own team.

But that doesn't go too well with your flawed logic.

Look at it another way including Keita(£55m) FSG has spent approximately £23m over the course of 8 years on players doesn't look that great when viewed that way for the FSG excusest
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #15643: Jan 09, 2018 11:56:05 am
      To be clear - IF we don’t get a replacement you’d sack the boss?

I mean exactly what I say:

Untenable

Adjective

(especially of a position or view) not able to be maintained or defended against attack or objection.
      "this argument is clearly untenable"

It does not mean "given the boot", and to be fair, I would see FSG's position as being equally untenable. Look on here now, there's a growing number who are calling for his head, while others are blaming FSG like they always do. Just how toxic do you think it'll get if we fail to secure Champions League as a result of this? The 'Klopp out!' and 'FSG out!' banners from differing groups of supporters, the arguments, the fights. The risk taken isn't just with our season, it's with disuniting our supporters. Klopp's entire legacy at this club will be defined by the outcome of this gamble. Let us hope it pays off.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,340 posts | 6390 
      Reply #15644: Jan 09, 2018 12:03:47 pm
      Trying to feel good about Jürgen’s signings....your post paints a less than hopeful picture :D
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,976 posts | 3059 
      Reply #15645: Jan 09, 2018 12:13:13 pm
      I mean exactly what I say:

Untenable

Adjective

(especially of a position or view) not able to be maintained or defended against attack or objection.
      "this argument is clearly untenable"

It does not mean "given the boot", and to be fair, I would see FSG's position as being equally untenable. Look on here now, there's a growing number who are calling for his head, while others are blaming FSG like they always do. Just how toxic do you think it'll get if we fail to secure Champions League as a result of this? The 'Klopp out!' and 'FSG out!' banners from differing groups of supporters, the arguments, the fights. The risk taken isn't just with our season, it's with disuniting our supporters. Klopp's entire legacy at this club will be defined by the outcome of this gamble. Let us hope it pays off.

Well done with google.

Also stop hiding - that’s exactly where you’re nudging and have been for months.

😴

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #15646: Jan 09, 2018 12:14:40 pm
      Trying to feel good about Jürgen’s signings....your post paints a less than hopeful picture :D

Haha that was only his last season at the club though, and it was a bit of a disaster season with a terrible start.

I think Ramos was a bit of a bizarre signing as I don't think he was ever good enough for Dortmund, but Immobile has been on fire for Lazio so maybe he simply signed in a turbulent period for the club and ended up being misused. I think Ginter (now at Gladbach) is a very decent CB as well

I trust Klopp and his staff with transfers in general, but no manager gets it 100% right. And I am not a huge fan of the tone of those articles stating "he knows how to deal with players losses", well, I bet he wished he didn't have to deal with that at Dortmund, so I can't see him being too ecstatic about it now
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #15647: Jan 09, 2018 12:19:42 pm
      How the f**k can you mention AOC, Solanke and Klavan?!

Ridiculous. Klavan has been excellent this season, Solanke is young and AOC is Prem proven and getting better all the time.
      Did not say that he was not a good player for us, in fact I said that Klopp has played a big part in that. What I was saying was that the players i mention have hardly set the premier league a light... Yes Solanke is young, but he has hardly looked great in the system Klopp plays and that you would think that he would have shown some improvement by now... The OX " Premier League Proven" ;D... so much so that he could not hold down a starting regular slot at one of our biggest rivals, Wenger saying that he had gone backwards... 151 starts and only 11 goals... As for getting better, He can't be much worse
      Kopite78
      Reply #15648: Jan 09, 2018 12:24:03 pm
      Well done with google.

Also stop hiding - that’s exactly where you’re nudging and have been for months.

😴

Genuinely embarrassing from any 'fan' that they're talking about positions being untenable or the like.

I'm not sure where or how it would be better to get rid of Klopp even if the worst happens and we didn't make cl next season,  me  personally I'm not thinking of that happening anyway currently but even if it did im not sure how it would help to rip it up and start again.
      He literally is the best thing to happen to the club since the height of Rafas time here. We have owners who are strictly on a spend what we generate blue print, so the thought we can  rip it up under that, get some sort of miracle worker type manager in is fanciful

We know, like Klopp is still working through that a bew manager comes in and it takes him 2-4 Windows to get his squad how he wants it, look at the turnover in  squads from Evans to Houllier, from Houllier to Rafa, from Rafa to the Hodge 😂.. For Kenny to try to sort his mess out.. For Rodgers to get his squad right from Kennys.. Now Klopp still sorting his out from Brendans.
      It takes time..
      I for one dont want to go through another 2-3 seasons going through it again when I can't see any reason that people are even hinting at it currently.
      Especially with these owners. Pep at City took a season to get his style on the players, he has the benefit of limitless money to bring players in to solve squad issues, their owners work completely differently to ours
      The time  needed on the training pitch getting what a manager wants into them.l has to be taken into consideration as well

It's crazy to even mention it nowadays, I wonder if some fans confuse computer games and real life I really do
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #15649: Jan 09, 2018 12:25:58 pm
      Not sure I like this idea that Klopp "can wait" for his players either. It's not such much that he can, but that he HAD to wait to sign his target because we messed up that deal so completely. On different instances, he has supposedly settled for second options (Pulisic was said to be his prime target before Salah) and moved on from then.

And even if he "can wait", I'm not sure Liverpool can. Or else whilst we are waiting to finally build a winning team, you know, just "missing the final piece of the puzzle", we'll soon find out that Mo Salah had a childhood dream of playing for, I don't know, Paris Saint Germain, and there was "nothing the club could do" about it.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #15650: Jan 09, 2018 12:48:33 pm
      I find it incredible that people are talking of "untenable" at this point.  It's an absolute joke!  We're unbeaten in 17 games going back to late October, are in the 4th round of the FA cup with a decent draw, the last 16 of the CL with a favourable draw, are 3 points off 2nd in the PL (in a freak season as far as Man City's results have gone) and people are talking about "Klopp Out" because he's sold a player who's been a total pain in the a##e since before day 1 of the season!

Are these people living in the real world???!!!
      Harrisimo

• 8,296 posts | 1403 
      Reply #15651: Jan 09, 2018 12:55:49 pm
      Point being, is this squad strong enough without Coutinho, to fend off Spurs & Arsenal. That's the nub of it. If we don't get 4th at the very least Salah might look elsewhere.

FSG have spent, on average,a little over £14m.per season, in the 7 years they have owned the club, That's not a huge amount for an alleged top 4 team. Everton have averaged £20m per season over the same time period.

If Klopp doesn't sign a top line replacement in this window, the burden will fall on Salah, and we now have 3 competitions on the go.

Even with Coutinho we only just scraped into the C/L. We are now reliant on Salah to keep his form and to stay fit.

Our future is on a knife edge I tell yee..
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,463 posts | 4591 
      Reply #15652: Jan 09, 2018 01:01:54 pm
      Point being, is this squad strong enough without Coutinho, to fend off Spurs & Arsenal. That's the nub of it. If we don't get 4th at the very least Salah might look elsewhere.

FSG have spent, on average,a little over £14m.per season, in the 7 years they have owned the club, That's not a huge amount for an alleged top 4 team. Everton have averaged £20m per season over the same time period.

If Klopp doesn't sign a top line replacement in this window, the burden will fall on Salah, and we now have 3 competitions on the go.

Even with Coutinho we only just scraped into the C/L. We are now reliant on Salah to keep his form and to stay fit.

Our future is on a knife edge I tell yee..

Why would Salah look elsewhere? The guy has found his spiritual home at Anfield where he is in the best form of his life, I don't think for one second Salah has thoughts on moving to another club when he is part of building a strong legacy here..

Harrisimo

• 8,296 posts | 1403 
      Reply #15653: Jan 09, 2018 01:03:06 pm
      I find it incredible that people are talking of "untenable" at this point.  It's an absolute joke!  We're unbeaten in 17 games going back to late October, are in the 4th round of the FA cup with a decent draw, the last 16 of the CL with a favourable draw, are 3 points off 2nd in the PL (in a freak season as far as Man City's results have gone) and people are talking about "Klopp Out" because he's sold a player who's been a total pain in the a##e since before day 1 of the season!

Are these people living in the real world???!!!

But remove one vital cog from the thing and the wheel could fall off. In truth we were crap against Everton so we are now over reliant on Salah to see us thru 3 competitions. It's now vital that Klopp brings in more quality goal threat in this window.

The reality is the balance between us,Spurs and Arsenal tilted towards them once Coutinho left.
      Harrisimo

• 8,296 posts | 1403 
      Reply #15654: Jan 09, 2018 01:08:09 pm
      Why would Salah look elsewhere? The guy has found his spiritual home at Anfield where he is in the best form of his life, I don't think for one second Salah has thoughts on moving to another club when he is part of building a strong legacy here..

You don't know that. We finish 6th and Salah will become a target next season. " Spiritual home"...haven't a clue about that..probably somewhere over the rainbow..
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #15655: Jan 09, 2018 01:13:18 pm

For now...
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #15656: Jan 09, 2018 01:19:13 pm
      INS
      Total of £221, 300 000

Marko Grujić Red Star Belgrade £5,100,000 6th Jan, 2016
      Shamal George LFC Youth System £0 6th Jan, 2016
      Kamil Grabara Ruch Chorzow £300,000 15th Jan, 2016
      Sadio Mane Southampton £30,000,000 28th Jun, 2016
      Loris Karius Mainz 05 £4,700,000 1st Jul, 2016
      Joel Matip Schalke 04 £0 1st Jul, 2016
      Ragnar Klavan FC Augsburg £4,200,000 20th Jul, 2016
      Alex Manninger Free Transfer £0 22nd Jul, 2016
      Georginio Wijnaldum Newcastle United £25,000,000 22nd Jul, 2016
      Mohammed Salah AS Roma £34,000,000 22nd Jun, 2017
      Dominic Solanke Chelsea £0 1st Jul, 2017
      Andy Robertson Hull City £8,000,000 21st Jul, 2017
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain Arsenal £35,000,000 31st Aug, 2017
      Virgil van Dijk Southampton £75,000,000 1st Jan, 2018

OUTS
      17 Players Sold: £255,050,000

Jordan Rossiter Rangers £250,000 13th May, 2016
      Joao Teixeira FC Porto £0 30th Jun, 2016
      Jerome Sinclair Watford £0 1st Jul, 2016
      Sergi Canos Norwich City £2,500,000 10th Jul, 2016
      Martin Skrtel Fenerbahce £5,500,000 13th Jul, 2016
      Jordon Ibe Bournemouth £15,000,000 13th Jul, 2016
      Joe Allen Stoke City £13,000,000 25th Jul, 2016
      Brad Smith AFC Bournemouth £3,000,000 27th Jul, 2016
      Christian Benteke Crystal Palace £27,000,000 19th Aug, 2016
      Luis Alberto Lazio £4,300,000 31st Aug, 2016
      Mario Balotelli Nice £0 31st Aug, 2016
      Tiago Ilori Reading £2,500,000 18th Jan, 2017
      Andre Wisdom Derby County £2,000,000 1st Jul, 2017
      Lucas Leiva Lazio £5,000,000 18th Jul, 2017
      Kevin Stewart Hull City £7,000,000 21st Jul, 2017
      Mamadou Sakho Crystal Palace £26,000,000 31st Aug, 2017
      Philippe Coutinho Barcelona £142,000,000 7th Jan, 2018

So under Klopp we are currently making a profit of 33 750 000 during his tenure here, and people say we aren't a selling club

Flawed logic. The figure is heavily skewed by the Coutinho sale. You'll have to wait at least until end of January window, more likely end of summer window to see if that money is reinvested. Posting this a day after Coutinho sale is just bias.

Plus - of all the players Klopp sold above, Coutinho is the only one I, and a host of others here, wouldn't have agreed to sell and he was forced into it. Whereas looking at the players he has brought in, a good chunk are either firmly established starters and/or are excelling at the club - i.e. Mane, Salah, Robertson, VVD, Ox, Matip

So, not only is your logic that we are a selling club flawed, so is your questioning of Klopp's transfer dealings.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #15657: Jan 09, 2018 01:24:23 pm
      But remove one vital cog from the thing and the wheel could fall off. In truth we were crap against Everton so we are now over reliant on Salah to see us thru 3 competitions. It's now vital that Klopp brings in more quality goal threat in this window.

The reality is the balance between us,Spurs and Arsenal tilted towards them once Coutinho left.
      But you're merely guessing what you think MAY happen now he's gone! 

In the 17 match unbeaten spell we're on, Coutinho started 10 of them and we won 6, drew 4. 
      The 7 he hasn't started (so he's started little more than half the games in our best spell) we've won 6 and drawn 1, the draw being the fluke Everton match.

Incidentally, he started against Spurs in the 4-1 defeat, the match before this run.

Now I'm not suggesting for a moment we're a better team/squad without Coutinho, as he would obviously be in our strongest starting line up if he was still here, but all this talk of us falling apart without him is just mental!!!

Last 18 games for Liverpool, he's started 11 - Won 6   Drawn 4  lost  1
      Games not started - Won 6  Drawn 1

We'll do more than survive in the wake of Couthino.

Coutinho is dead, long live King Klopp!!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #15658: Jan 09, 2018 01:31:22 pm
      INS
      Total of £221, 300 000

Marko Grujić Red Star Belgrade £5,100,000 6th Jan, 2016
      Shamal George LFC Youth System £0 6th Jan, 2016
      Kamil Grabara Ruch Chorzow £300,000 15th Jan, 2016
      Sadio Mane Southampton £30,000,000 28th Jun, 2016
      Loris Karius Mainz 05 £4,700,000 1st Jul, 2016
      Joel Matip Schalke 04 £0 1st Jul, 2016
      Ragnar Klavan FC Augsburg £4,200,000 20th Jul, 2016
      Alex Manninger Free Transfer £0 22nd Jul, 2016
      Georginio Wijnaldum Newcastle United £25,000,000 22nd Jul, 2016
      Mohammed Salah AS Roma £34,000,000 22nd Jun, 2017
      Dominic Solanke Chelsea £0 1st Jul, 2017
      Andy Robertson Hull City £8,000,000 21st Jul, 2017
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain Arsenal £35,000,000 31st Aug, 2017
      Virgil van Dijk Southampton £75,000,000 1st Jan, 2018

OUTS
      17 Players Sold: £255,050,000

Jordan Rossiter Rangers £250,000 13th May, 2016
      Joao Teixeira FC Porto £0 30th Jun, 2016
      Jerome Sinclair Watford £0 1st Jul, 2016
      Sergi Canos Norwich City £2,500,000 10th Jul, 2016
      Martin Skrtel Fenerbahce £5,500,000 13th Jul, 2016
      Jordon Ibe Bournemouth £15,000,000 13th Jul, 2016
      Joe Allen Stoke City £13,000,000 25th Jul, 2016
      Brad Smith AFC Bournemouth £3,000,000 27th Jul, 2016
      Christian Benteke Crystal Palace £27,000,000 19th Aug, 2016
      Luis Alberto Lazio £4,300,000 31st Aug, 2016
      Mario Balotelli Nice £0 31st Aug, 2016
      Tiago Ilori Reading £2,500,000 18th Jan, 2017
      Andre Wisdom Derby County £2,000,000 1st Jul, 2017
      Lucas Leiva Lazio £5,000,000 18th Jul, 2017
      Kevin Stewart Hull City £7,000,000 21st Jul, 2017
      Mamadou Sakho Crystal Palace £26,000,000 31st Aug, 2017
      Philippe Coutinho Barcelona £142,000,000 7th Jan, 2018

So under Klopp we are currently making a profit of 33 750 000 during his tenure here, and people say we aren't a selling club

Oh come on now, those figures are hugely influenced by the very very recent sale of Coutinhio which the player forced through. If you take that and the VVD purchase out of the above equation then you end up with:

Players In: £146,300,000
      Players out: £113,050,000

So net purchases of £33,250,000
      Liverpool1990
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 106 posts | 19 
      Reply #15659: Jan 09, 2018 01:43:51 pm
      Oh come on now, those figures are hugely influenced by the very very recent sale of Coutinhio which the player forced through. If you take that and the VVD purchase out of the above equation then you end up with:

if you are going to do that then there is no point in comparing anything?

Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,203 posts | 838 
      Reply #15660: Jan 09, 2018 01:54:27 pm
      Not sure I like this idea that Klopp "can wait" for his players either. It's not such much that he can, but that he HAD to wait to sign his target because we messed up that deal so completely. On different instances, he has supposedly settled for second options (Pulisic was said to be his prime target before Salah) and moved on from then.

And even if he "can wait", I'm not sure Liverpool can. Or else whilst we are waiting to finally build a winning team, you know, just "missing the final piece of the puzzle", we'll soon find out that Mo Salah had a childhood dream of playing for, I don't know, Paris Saint Germain, and there was "nothing the club could do" about it.

You might not like the idea, but I'm pretty sure the manager does. He prefers it and he has done it before. This is why his transfer dealings so far has been really good, even better than his predecessor.

What deals have we messed up under Klopp? He got all of his targets. Pulisic was an impossible target, he wasn't for sale and the player himself signed a new deal till 2020 last year when his old deal was going to expire this year. He could have rejected the new deal after LFC interest and joined us, but he didn't.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,655 posts | 6949 
      Reply #15661: Jan 09, 2018 02:30:14 pm

However you cut it - after Coutinho, before van Dijk, given the huge growing finances of the past 5 or so years, it's hardly significant investment to back a new manager with.

Either +33M or -30M over 4, almost 5 transfer windows.

The clubs turnover has gone up from around £180M to likely around £400M in the last 7 years (last years accounts due in March which won't include this years Champions League money - must be heading for £450M this season).

Those figures above of either £7M invested or £7M saved per window are extremely unlikely to bridge the gap IMO.

The owners may have come in with their 'winning clever and shrewd' talk and yeah £8M for Coutinho looks good now - but when he's here 5 years and you haven't built enough of a side to win anything alongside him then the only winners are the balance sheet.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #15662: Jan 09, 2018 02:36:18 pm
      You might not like the idea, but I'm pretty sure the manager does. He prefers it and he has done it before. This is why his transfer dealings so far has been really good, even better than his predecessor.

What deals have we messed up under Klopp? He got all of his targets. Pulisic was an impossible target, he wasn't for sale and the player himself signed a new deal till 2020 last year when his old deal was going to expire this year. He could have rejected the new deal after LFC interest and joined us, but he didn't.

The one we made an apology for?

We eventually got the player but 6 months later. Not because Klopp wanted to wait, but because we fu**ed up. The player came a semester later than the boss wanted.

And Salah was supposed to be third choice after Pulisic and Brandt. The idea that Klopp necessarily sticks to his first options and accepts no compromise is false in my opinion - an excuse for delaying transfers that could have done been done on a different timescale.

Quick Reply