Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      0 (0%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      14 (18.9%)
      Martin Skrtel
      7 (9.5%)
      Mamadou Sakho
      3 (4.1%)
      Alberto Moreno
      1 (1.4%)
      Lucas Leiva
      8 (10.8%)
      Emre Can
      0 (0%)
      Jordon Ibe
      23 (31.1%)
      Adam Lallana
      4 (5.4%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      12 (16.2%)
      Christian Benteke
      1 (1.4%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Voting closed: Nov 15, 2015 06:08:50 pm

Liverpool 1-2 Crystal Palace: In game and Post Match debate

Read 31065 times
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Re: Liverpool 1-2 Crystal Palace: In game and Post Match debate
      Reply #552: Nov 09, 2015 11:18:15 am
      Further to the last, somebody has actually posted '1 defeat in 12...I'll take that' or words to that effect. What planet are you on?

That run goes back to Brendan, that's the first thing. The second thing is how many of those games have been draws? Third thing is we are lying tenth in the league going absolutely nowhere.

So maybe you're happy with our recent results but I'm F***ing not.

Should have beaten Bordeaux. Should have beaten Norwich. Should have beaten Carlisle. Should have beaten Sion. Should have beaten Rubin. Should have beaten Southampton.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,653 posts | 6947 
      Reply #553: Nov 09, 2015 11:26:44 am
      This is not me having a go at Klopp but since his arrival we have performed equally to what we did under Brendan but the posters on here log in and write about how immense we were. Its absolute bollocks.

We cannot attack for sh*t. That's what our biggest problem is at the moment.

It says everything about the mess we are in when I was looking at Palaces team yesterday and I'd happily take 4 of their players. I'd take almost half of Crystal Palace's team right now. I never ever thought I'd say anything of the sort.

I think we've performed better than 'equally' as under Rodgers but I also don't think we've been immense.

You are right to express concerns about us going forward against Kazan mid-week.

But yesterday's defeat was entirely different to the weak efforts against West Ham and Man Utd.  The way Liverpool were playing under Rodgers they would have given up at Stamford Bridge when that first goal went in.

To be fair to the new manager it was his 7th game in 22 days.  He's not had the relatively luxuries of Sturridge, Ings, Henderson, Milner, Gomez to call on - Benteke and Firmino have been half fit. 

I'd have probably snatched your hand off at 3 wins, 3 draws and 1 defeat seven games back.

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #554: Nov 09, 2015 11:36:02 am
      I'd have probably snatched your hand off at 3 wins, 3 draws and 1 defeat seven games back.

When you put it like that then heads should nod. Especially with the benefit of hindsight that gives us the injury situation.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #555: Nov 09, 2015 11:41:19 am
      It shows you know FA, when you can't rebut the defensive mistakes prior to calling Mignolet into action. However, you would rather ignore and overlook this important point in order to lay easy blame at Mignolet's door.

Utter tosh. Every team have attempts at goal, regardless of how players are defending. Dann had an attempt at goal that should've been dealt with in the appropriate manner. It wasn't BECAUSE OF MIGNOLET. Any Sunday league keeper worth his salt would've caught that.

RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #556: Nov 09, 2015 11:45:32 am
      My ratings.

Moreno: I can't help thinking we're missing a trick with this lad. He's no Paulo Maldini as a defender, but as an attacker I'd have him bombing goalwards every time we've got it, and not down the flank all the time either. I'd be looking to play him in on goal, I'm not sure what he'd do once he got there but he is frighteningly quick and at the moment we don't really utilise it. Anyway, really poor for the first goal and a game to forget today. 5/10.

Ignoring all other comments Mick, I don't see why we can't make him into a winger (as he is sh*te at defending anyway)!

Is it not possible for Klopp to turn Moreno's attacking instincts and make him forget about defending duties. We could find/buy LB when required. With Moreno as winger would give us another dimension.

Just a thought.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #557: Nov 09, 2015 11:45:42 am
      Missed the game because of work. Made all the worse cos we can't but it right for two weeks
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #558: Nov 09, 2015 11:46:54 am
      Well this is like old times!!

It didn't take long for everyone to fall back to the doom and gloom of a few weeks ago.  It's a bad result folks, that's all.  A blip that was always destined to happen, or did people expect us to go the rest of the season unbeaten?

We still have the same squad, with the same injury problems, the same crowd who don't get behind the team and want to leave early.

Everyone losing their sh*t with each other, people gloating because they were right about us being crap, how predictable!!

I enjoyed the game, we should have won and won easily but we didn't.  We pick ourselves up, dust ourselves down and start prepping for City.

3wins 3 draws 1 defeat coming into a a team in crisis is good enough for me and i have seen a better attitude from the players.
      Palace are a team with really quick players and a decent defence so no shame at this point in a defeat. we are a pretty unbalanced squad so patience is needed until he can do  his stuff in january
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #559: Nov 09, 2015 12:05:10 pm
      3wins 3 draws 1 defeat coming into a a team in crisis is good enough for me and i have seen a better attitude from the players.
      Palace are a team with really quick players and a decent defence so no shame at this point in a defeat. we are a pretty unbalanced squad so patience is needed until he can do  his stuff in january

Lad, I usually like your posts albeit I didn't always agree with your thoughts on Brendan, but this is bollocks.

A defeat to Crystal Palace at home. Come on.

Had Brendan still been in charge then you of all people would be going berserk and not saying 'they have quick players and a decent defence'.

ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #560: Nov 09, 2015 12:05:27 pm
      Further to the last, somebody has actually posted '1 defeat in 12...I'll take that' or words to that effect. What planet are you on?

That run goes back to Brendan, that's the first thing. The second thing is how many of those games have been draws? Third thing is we are lying tenth in the league going absolutely nowhere.

So maybe you're happy with our recent results but I'm f**king not.

Should have beaten Bordeaux. Should have beaten Norwich. Should have beaten Carlisle. Should have beaten Sion. Should have beaten Rubin. Should have beaten Southampton.

I think you're being very bharsh mate. Nobody likes to lose, especially to Palace at home, but Klopp has had 5 games with his new team, with no pre-season, none of them his players, injuries left right and centre and so on and so forth. Even LVG came into Man Utd last year, was given a bunch of money over the summer, had a pre season, yet had an awful August with losses to Swansea and MK Dons, draws to Sunderland and Burnley. It takes time, that's all I'm saying.

I've actually seen a big improvement in the work rate, pressing, attitude of players and  more positivity going forward. I take it as a sign of things to come. Fans are absolutely allowed to give their opinions and criticise team when they fail to perform, but some of the reaction, including yours, is way OTT imo. If everybody reacted like this, it would just put unfair and disproportionate preassure on the manager and the team. I agree about the poor result, but I disagree that we look as bad as you say.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #561: Nov 09, 2015 12:12:44 pm
      Lad, I usually like your posts albeit I didn't always agree with your thoughts on Brendan, but this is bollocks.

Had Brendan still been in charge then you of all people would be going berserk and not saying 'they have quick players and a decent defence'.

these are still Brendan's  players and  Klopp isnt a miracle worker he can't turn them into world beaters .In the scheme of Klopps time here (and given the terrible doom and gloom surrounding Brendan) his first 7 games have been ok and its wrong at this point to take one game in isolation.We are still in the league Cup we are nicely placed in the Europa league and Palace have been playing well this season.
      Most of all we havent had to listen to the utter bollox that would have come after that defeat that alone is worth the change.We beat Chelsea and we lost to Palace thats how its going to be for a while get used to it
      « Last Edit: Nov 09, 2015 12:23:31 pm by waltonl4 »
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #562: Nov 09, 2015 12:18:20 pm
      I think we've performed better than 'equally' as under Rodgers but I also don't think we've been immense.

You are right to express concerns about us going forward against Kazan mid-week.

But yesterday's defeat was entirely different to the weak efforts against West Ham and Man Utd.  The way Liverpool were playing under Rodgers they would have given up at Stamford Bridge when that first goal went in.

To be fair to the new manager it was his 7th game in 22 days.  He's not had the relatively luxuries of Sturridge, Ings, Henderson, Milner, Gomez to call on - Benteke and Firmino have been half fit. 

Agree with pretty much all of what you've said. Klopp has steadied the ship a little and you're probably right in that we would probably be worse off if Brendan had stayed.

My annoyance comes from the posters on here who make out that we've been playing tremendously when we haven't. We still look suspect at the back and we still look no better than a mid table side going forward. It's a big problem that we have so we shouldn't ignore it and make out it's all rosy under Klopp at the moment because it isn't.

I can't remember the last time we went into a game where I thought we would beat these by 2 or 3. Little has changed under Jürgen just yet so I don't know why some people on here make out that it has.

I bet he can't wait to sell Mignolet in the summer  :lmao:

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #563: Nov 09, 2015 12:19:57 pm
      these are still Brendan'sand  players though Klopp isnt a miracle worker he can't turn them into world beaters .In the scheme of Klopps time here (and given the terrible doom and gloom surrounding Brendan) his first 7 games have been ok and its wrong at this point to take one game in isolation.We are still in the league Cup we are nicely placed in the Europa league and Palace have been playing well this season.
      Most of all we havent had to listen to the utter bollox that would have come after that defeat that alone is worth the change.We beat Chelsea and we lost to Palace thats how its going to be for a while get used to it

Not expecting miracles I know Jürgen has a tough task ahead and that the mess we're in wasn't caused by him but I'm honest about our performances/displays unlike some posters on here.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,653 posts | 6947 
      Reply #564: Nov 09, 2015 12:26:37 pm

I'm very disappointed we got beat.  Very disappointed because it was a chance for us to get out of this mid table bollocks and start to look like a team capable of finishing well into the top half.

But compared to our 4 previous defeats, Palace home 3-1, Stoke away 6-1, West Ham home 3-0, Man Utd away 3-0 then I'm not as furious because I thought it was a better performance and we have a manager at the start of his campaign rather than a manager at the end. 
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #565: Nov 09, 2015 12:28:17 pm
      I think you're being very bharsh mate. Nobody likes to lose, especially to Palace at home, but Klopp has had 5 games with his new team, with no pre-season, none of them his players, injuries left right and centre and so on and so forth. Even LVG came into Man Utd last year, was given a bunch of money over the summer, had a pre season, yet had an awful August with losses to Swansea and MK Dons, draws to Sunderland and Burnley. It takes time, that's all I'm saying.

I've actually seen a big improvement in the work rate, pressing, attitude of players and  more positivity going forward. I take it as a sign of things to come. Fans are absolutely allowed to give their opinions and criticise team when they fail to perform, but some of the reaction, including yours, is way OTT imo. If everybody reacted like this, it would just put unfair and disproportionate preassure on the manager and the team. I agree about the poor result, but I disagree that we look as bad as you say.

Again, I agree with everything you've said.

Its not Klopp I'm frustrated with. Its when you beat sh*te like Rubin 1-0 and you have people saying how great we were and how Klopp has transformed us into a side that can compete again and all this. The Rubin game I saw quite clearly a team that was unable to create or convert decent chances and instead had lots of the ball and made tons of half chances.

Yesterday was pretty much the same. Had all the ball but we don't do anything with it.

But lets say we won yesterday with a last minute coutinho screamer, a lot of people would be on here saying how great we were again. When truth be told we were sh*t!

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #566: Nov 09, 2015 12:30:32 pm
      Not expecting miracles I know Jürgen has a tough task ahead and that the mess we're in wasn't caused by him but I'm honest about our performances/displays unlike some posters on here.

I dont see too many if any posters  saying we are now world beaters and our football is wonderful, I do see people saying that other people are posting stuff like that.
      We have something like 40 plus proffesionals many of who should never have got anywhere near Anfield that is going to take some time to sort out we need a massive clearout that will take a couple of seasons to sort out. So I am not going to get too depressed about the odd defeat as most of us have said its going to be a bit hit and miss for sometime the tragedy is the sacking didnt take place in the summer after what was one of the worst ends (if not the worst) of a season I can ever remember.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #567: Nov 09, 2015 12:35:14 pm
      No, we can't attack.

We don't create clear cut chances. Instead, we create 20+ half chances per game that go down as an attempt at goal on paper.

It's all well and good saying 'if only we had a goal scorer' but any team in the league would be competitive if they had a goal scorer. Look at Leicester.

I really dont get your posts it seems  moaning for nothing more than moanings sake. What did you expect and why are you so concerned if some people like what they see why does it bother you so much on a forum like this there will be lots of different opinions and lots of people with different levels of knowledge and experience. What is for you a decent level of performance? because for me results come first performance second and it will always be that way our season is very much alive and kicking despite a very indifferent start.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #568: Nov 09, 2015 12:36:14 pm
      Agree with pretty much all of what you've said. Klopp has steadied the ship a little and you're probably right in that we would probably be worse off if Brendan had stayed.

My annoyance comes from the posters on here who make out that we've been playing tremendously when we haven't. We still look suspect at the back and we still look no better than a mid table side going forward. It's a big problem that we have so we shouldn't ignore it and make out it's all rosy under Klopp at the moment because it isn't.

I can't remember the last time we went into a game where I thought we would beat these by 2 or 3. Little has changed under Jürgen just yet so I don't know why some people on here make out that it has.

I bet he can't wait to sell Mignolet in the summer  :lmao:

Some fair points. Some people are that hung up on being right about Rodgers ages and ages ago they will exaggerate the improvement as I think you've pointed out.

There have definitely been psychological improvements in the grand scheme of things, something which I think Klopp, on the back of yesterday's post match comments, is trying to take to another level. He can't change his squad. That is what it is for now, but he can change the way the players he has are backed, what that team does in game, how it approaches games and reacts psychologically to in game situations and moments.

Without exaggerating the improvements they're there to see but aren't as obvious as some would like at this point.

Wonder what we'll be like with a transfer window and some luck.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #569: Nov 09, 2015 12:44:28 pm
      Again, I agree with everything you've said.

Its not Klopp I'm frustrated with. Its when you beat sh*te like Rubin 1-0 and you have people saying how great we were and how Klopp has transformed us into a side that can compete again and all this. The Rubin game I saw quite clearly a team that was unable to create or convert decent chances and instead had lots of the ball and made tons of half chances.

Yesterday was pretty much the same. Had all the ball but we don't do anything with it.

But lets say we won yesterday with a last minute coutinho screamer, a lot of people would be on here saying how great we were again. When truth be told we were sh*t!

Fair enough, I think those who claim we have been impressive are few and far in between though. It's obvious we're not top 4 standards yet and there are some obvious areas to address, striker crisis being one and goalkeeping crisis being the other. If anyone thinks it's all rosy, then I agree with you completely that they need their eyes examined, but we're certainly more positive than the last era of BR.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #570: Nov 09, 2015 12:44:31 pm
      Some fair points. Some people are that hung up on being right about Rodgers ages and ages ago they will exaggerate the improvement as I think you've pointed out

:nod:

Head. On. Nail.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #571: Nov 09, 2015 12:50:59 pm
      Punished for defensive mistakes again. That's it simples.

Until we start scoring more than the odd goal at home, we will always be nervous and susceptible to teams punishing our defensive mistakes.

And Klopp was spot on at fans leaving early I noticed that from the TV as well.
       :-(
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #572: Nov 09, 2015 12:54:44 pm

where are these posts I see people mentioning them but I havent seen many. I for one have said all along this is going to be a bumpy ride but its clear the players seem up for it even if performances and results are not spectacular. But we are still in the league Cup we are well placed in the Europa league  so there is plenty to be positive about . Brendans last 7 games after spending 3 full season here won 1 drawn 5 lost 1 his last 7 games of last season where won 1, lost 4, drawn 2 so its easy to see why people might get excited about W3 D3 lost 1
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #573: Nov 09, 2015 12:56:27 pm
      Punished for defensive mistakes again. That's it simples.

Until we start scoring more than the odd goal at home, we will always be nervous and susceptible to teams punishing our defensive mistakes.

And Klopp was spot on at fans leaving early I noticed that from the TV as well.
       :-(

we have averaged approx 47 goals against for the last 3 season in the league, these are the same players so its clear defensive mistakes will for a time happen.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #574: Nov 09, 2015 12:59:48 pm
      I really dont get your posts it seems  moaning for nothing more than moanings sake. What did you expect and why are you so concerned if some people like what they see why does it bother you so much on a forum like this there will be lots of different opinions and lots of people with different levels of knowledge and experience. What is for you a decent level of performance? because for me results come first performance second and it will always be that way our season is very much alive and kicking despite a very indifferent start.

The thing I've been most surprised at under Jürgen so far is how slow our play is. We don't move the ball quickly enough. We have no aggression about us when we go forward. There is no urgency. Its all very basic and very ordinary. Similarly under Brendan, we have lots of possession but look a bit clueless when we get to the final third.

I watched the Rubin game and it was same old stuff for me. The result was a good one because as you say its all what matters at the end of the day but the performance was mediocre at best. In the match thread it was full of comments about how great we were and the football was brilliant and so on.

So I said I must have been watching a different game then because I saw a Liverpool team struggle to break down a very poor side and if it wasn't for a brief moment of brilliance by Ibe (and their centre half not closing him down for some bizarre reason) then it had 0-0 written all over it. We controlled the game well, dominated possession and were never in any sort of trouble, but we were poor going forward and there were some alarm bells there for me.

Yesterday was almost identical and to be honest I expect to see it a lot this season too. Unfortunately Brendan has left us with no width/pace and about six number 10s instead.

But I'm moaning because people have been going way over the top with our performances. Although we have had a couple of nice results under Jürgen, the football has still been pretty poor.

Quick Reply