Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Mignolet
      1 (0.9%)
      Flanagan
      2 (1.8%)
      Ilori
      5 (4.5%)
      Lucas (C)
      72 (64.3%)
      Smith
      3 (2.7%)
      Stewart
      6 (5.4%)
      Chirivella (Pedro)
      4 (3.6%)
      Ibe
      0 (0%)
      Coutinho
      6 (5.4%)
      Teixeira
      0 (0%)
      Benteke
      6 (5.4%)
      Sturridge
      7 (6.3%)
      Origi
      0 (0%)
      Milner
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 108

Voting closed: Feb 10, 2016 10:27:31 pm

West Ham 2:1 Liverpool (AET): In Game & Post Game Discussions

Read 38283 times
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,785 posts | 6742 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: West Ham 2:1 Liverpool (AET): In Game & Post Game Discussions
      Reply #1150: Feb 10, 2016 12:30:20 am
      I officially hate December, January and now February!
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #1151: Feb 10, 2016 12:30:40 am
      Yep did really well, the ref really should be ashamed a challenge like this gets nothing and then Lucas' gets given as a free kick

Shoddy refereeing all night. WH players went down at the slightest contact all game and the officials fell for it.

GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,350 posts | 1533 
      Reply #1152: Feb 10, 2016 12:32:08 am
      Yep did really well, the ref really should be ashamed a challenge like this gets nothing and then Lucas' gets given as a free kick

Yeah, summed up the refs performance for the whole game. Disgraceful.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #1153: Feb 10, 2016 12:32:14 am

Was a red card Imo. Said it as soon as it happened...

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1154: Feb 10, 2016 12:32:59 am
      Do find it interesting that when crediting the youth players he's twice left Teixeira of the credit reel, wonder if that's a sign of where he sees his future who knows.

I'm a fan of Teixiera, but I think he needs to leave to play football on a regular basis. Whilst his performance was ok tonight, he has probably shown overall that he's capable of high tier football. Hopefully, he'll find a good footballing prem or liga club where he can thrive and try to fulfill his potential.

TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,051 posts | 342 
      Reply #1155: Feb 10, 2016 12:33:20 am
      Both sides suffered from poor reffing to be fair, but we ultimately got dumped out of the FA cup because of it. Feel terrible for Lucas, who was immense all night, that his feather-like touch cost us.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1156: Feb 10, 2016 12:35:05 am
      Too bl**dy right he should.  I actually thought he'd broken it.  And Valencia hits the turf after the merest touch on his back (there was clearly no 'push' as that requires Lucas's hands to be moving forward away from his body) and that wins them the tie and sends us out?  I'm chuffing furious.

Shoddy refereeing all night. WH players went down at the slightest contact all game and the officials fell for it.

Yeah, summed up the refs performance for the whole game. Disgraceful.

Was a red card Imo. Said it as soon as it happened...

Can only agree completely with you all.

I'm a fan of Teixiera, but I think he needs to leave to play football on a regular basis. Whilst his performance was ok tonight, he has probably shown overall that he's capable of high tier football. Hopefully, he'll find a good footballing prem or liga club where he can thrive and try to fulfill his potential.

Could well be the case, I know Jürgen was angry that he wasn't in the Europa squad but just one of those nagging doubts that he doesn't fancy him long term. His game would certainly be suited to La Liga and I suspect you could be right in that's where he'll end up.
      siavashiva
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 811 posts | 113 
      Reply #1157: Feb 10, 2016 12:37:50 am
      I think the lads played much better too. I was worried before hand but in fairness they've easily matched and outperformed the average-ness of the "first" team.

The first team really aren't a good barometer in which to measure/gauge how good the young lads are; facing them up against premiership opposition is. They look better technically on the ball to me and can move the ball forward at pace.

Exactly. Our passing was fast and decisive today. I don't get to see many of our youth games, so I'm not sure if they have been always good like that, OR they are buying into Klopp's philosophy more readily than the "first" team. There were moments today in our game that reminded me of his Dortmund. Attacking with actual numbers. We don't do that in the league anymore. Our first team is boring.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #1158: Feb 10, 2016 12:44:08 am
      So why haven't we seen you in the Moreno & Mignolet threads, staunchly supporting them against these witch hunts/ lynchings?

Because that's apparently my job.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,923 posts | 964 
      Reply #1159: Feb 10, 2016 12:49:28 am
      The Good
      - The return of Studge, Coutinho, and to a lesser extent Origi.  We need more quality options in attack and these 3 will bring that, assuming they can stay fit of course....
      - Pedro Chirivella.  Take a bow son!!  18 years old and looked the most accomplished midfielder in either team.  He was confident in possession, composed on the ball, and calm under pressure.  He showed exactly what we are missing -- a CM with good technique, passing ability, and vision.
      - Despite losing, it was a good showing from the lads.  On another night we'dhave been through, but these things happen.  In a strange way, this is less depressing than the Sunderland game because at least the lads gave a good account of themselves tonight.  Lucas, Ilori, Flanagan, and Stewart all deserve a mention for solid performances.

The Bad
      - Brad Smith.  Ok, perhaps it's a touch harsh because he wasn't terrible, but he did get skinned a few times in 1v1 situations and was caught out of position on numerous occasions.  Basically he made all the same mistakes that Moreno gets berated for making, but he lacked the pace and energy to marshal the entire left touchline on his own the way Alberto does....
      - It probably seems odd listing Lucas in both the good and the bad, but that's what he was.  We saw his best - a consummate professional leading his young teammates from an unfamiliar role and putting his body on the line for the cause.  We also saw his worst - committing stupid/unnecessary fouls that put us on the back foot and ultimately concede goals and lose games....

The Ugly
      - Christian Benteke.  It's getting near impossible to continue to defend the big guy....  His general play was good -- he got involved in the buildup, showed some nice touches, and asserted himself in the box to win some headers and get on the end of some crosses.  Unfortunately, he squandered every chance he got and forwards are ultimately judged by their productivity in front of net.  It's not his fault we spent 32M on him, but he is proving to be yet another in a long line of recent expensive flops.....
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #1160: Feb 10, 2016 12:51:49 am
      We also saw his worst - committing stupid/unnecessary fouls that put us on the back foot and ultimately concede goals and lose games....

It wasn't a foul!
      harrydunn08

• 5,923 posts | 964 
      Reply #1161: Feb 10, 2016 01:02:53 am

He put the ref in a position to have to make a decision.  This one may have been a soft call, but he has a tendency to commit unnecessary fouls.....
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #1162: Feb 10, 2016 01:28:14 am
      Another example of no accountability to sub par performances from referees. Is it a tough job? Yes. Are they getting paid? Yes and a decent wage too considering it's 90 minutes work a week. Shoddy.
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #1163: Feb 10, 2016 01:36:23 am
      Coulda been the best game of the season  :'( F***ing gutted. well done lads
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #1164: Feb 10, 2016 01:36:25 am
      positive:

we dont have to play west ham again this season
      we had sturridge, courts and origi back on the pitch
      we have less games to play this season

negatives

poor performance
      youngsters dont look good enough at
      we have no defense
      we have no creativity
      we have no stregth in midfield
      we have no leaders
      we have spunked money on most of these players
      this performance was one of our better poor performances

Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #1165: Feb 10, 2016 05:00:24 am
      No funny lad quite pathetic.

One only has to go to the Moses thread to read your over the top defence of an average player where the consensus of the majority was that he is sh*te as it is now with Benteke.

What is your agenda?

Yes, how dare he have an opinion at odds with the "consensus of the majority" - burn him!

I didn't see the majority of the game - I will catch up with it today - but the question that needs answering here is why Benteke has gone from a solid 1 in 2 striker to missing all these easy chances?
      rossyred

• 9,296 posts | 1666 
      Reply #1166: Feb 10, 2016 06:40:06 am

Can go on about the ref all day long but he also missed a blatant pen for West Ham
      rossyred

• 9,296 posts | 1666 
      Reply #1167: Feb 10, 2016 06:43:20 am
      Positives Stewart and Sturridge . Lucas may have found a new role for certain games and young lads looked no worse than current 1st xi.

Negatives Ibe is lazy needs pulling , Benteke feeling the pressure
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #1168: Feb 10, 2016 07:02:26 am
      Gutted by that result.  It was one of our better performances, but yet again wasted opportunities cost us the match.
      We invited pressure at the back at times instead of clearing our lines and upfront we wasted too many opportunities.
      I feel bad for Benteke and Lucas... one hand Big Ben showed slot more composure,  held it up well and even linked up play... then other hand he missed chances that should be bread n butter to a striker of his experience. Lucas was brave and read play superbly well in a make shift defence... but unfortunately one foul too many seems to have cost us.
      As most have said there are lot of positives to take from the game, however if the players feel as gutted as we do now,  I hope they lift their chins for the next match and don't put in a lacks performance.
      Motm - Lucas
      Poorest performer for me - Ibe
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,785 posts | 6742 
      Reply #1169: Feb 10, 2016 07:18:52 am
      I knew there was a reason I saved this image.

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,785 posts | 6742 
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #1171: Feb 10, 2016 07:27:26 am
      Can go on about the ref all day long but he also missed a blatant pen for West Ham

Like I said, WH players went down at ANY opportunity if you're alluding to the Ilori "grab". Every single game week in, week out from corners, Free kicks etc, you'll see players "grappling" with each other and NOT ONE penalty ever gets awarded. So why should it have this time? Because Valencia chucked himself to the floor?

Also bear in mind that if he was dragged back, he would at least of fallen on his arse, not theatrically dived forwards. Was attempting to con the officials, nothing more although some of the commentators fell for it!

« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2016 09:05:25 am by MarkMitt »
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #1172: Feb 10, 2016 09:08:13 am
      The thing is do you blame Benteke? when will Klopp get them blame? Who put Benteke on the team sheet today?

What ???thats 32.5 million pounds worth of striker (apparently )and he can't put one of those chances away!!!ffs.
      A mate texted me during the later stages of the game and said imagine if fowler/rush/Torres/Suarez had those chances???they would of gobbled them up.
      Klopp has only what he can work with atm so you can't really blame him for thinking that a striker of that monetary value should be able to put one of the nine he had.

Quick Reply