Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

Joel Matip Player Thread (D)

Read 151152 times
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Re: Joel Matip Player Thread
      Reply #115: May 18, 2016 02:25:02 am
      If it was, you'd normally put a  :P after it, so we can tell.

I was on a mobile, so it's difficult to get to the emojis on the forum.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,785 posts | 6742 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #116: May 18, 2016 02:49:30 am

Ok fair enough, I have that problem as well.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #117: May 18, 2016 03:58:27 am

: & P are you're friends, if on the mobile. :P
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #118: Jul 01, 2016 11:08:13 am
      On my phone so can't post the link but Joel has been officially unveiled today.

Pre season officially starts tomorrow and some players have already returned early for training.  Can't wait for us to get going again.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #119: Jul 01, 2016 11:16:03 am
      On behalf of Debs...

Joel Matip completes Liverpool transfer

Joel Matip has today officially been registered as a Liverpool player, finalising his transfer to the club.

The centre-back's long-term contract with the Reds has begun following the conclusion of his previous deal with Bundesliga side FC Schalke.

Matip will take part in the start of pre-season training with his new teammates at Melwood on Saturday, when Jürgen Klopp's side begin preparations for the 2016-17 campaign.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/225980-joel-matip-completes-liverpool-transfer
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #120: Jul 01, 2016 11:26:51 am
      welcome to LFC

YNWA
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #121: Jul 01, 2016 01:14:05 pm
      He will wear the number 32 shirt. He requested the number and the current occupant (Brannagan) was more than happy to part with it. Brannagan will now wear the number 25 shirt.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #122: Jul 02, 2016 01:11:59 pm
      Another player hand picked by the Manager.

Klopp reveals reasons behind move for Matip

Jürgen Klopp has revealed why a move for Joel Matip was already in his thinking long before Liverpool swooped to reach an agreement for the defender to join the club this summer.

It was confirmed on Monday that the Cameroon international will make a switch to the Reds after the conclusion of his current deal with Bundesliga side Schalke.

The 24-year-old has built up a wealth of experience since his senior debut in 2009 and represented his country at each of the past two World Cups.

Klopp observed Matip closely while in charge of Borussia Dortmund and was so impressed by the performances he witnessed, the German shortlisted him as a potential recruit for his next team during a sabbatical from the game before taking charge at Anfield.

The manager told Liverpoolfc.com: “I am very happy.  Everybody who knows him would have been interested.  Maybe he’s not the most famous player in England but he’s 24 and has played about 200 Bundesliga games for Schalke.

“He is a top-class centre-half, very young but experienced.  You don’t have that too often.  To be honest, when I had my break I thought for the next club, I should think about Joel, if there was a need.

“He never played for my team, he did the extreme opposite – he played for their biggest opponent! Maybe that says a lot about his quality.  Even when he played for the team you cannot love as Dortmund manager, you see his quality.  Then that’s real quality.

“The chance was there and Joel wanted to do something different.  He is and was really close to his club; it’s normal, he played there since he was a youth player.  I think there was no chance for another Bundesliga club in this moment but Liverpool was the right name and the right club.

“Maybe it was a little advantage that I know him and he knows me.  He’s still a young player and for a young player, it could help to make the decision when there’s a manager from your home country.

“It’s a good situation, hopefully a win-win.  In this moment, it looks like this.  Now he has to stay healthy and after the summer break we can start working together.”

Klopp is confident Matip’s attributes are well-suited to the demands of the Barclays Premier League, and with room for further improvement for a player who has amassed 27 caps at international level.

He added: “He’s a real centre-half.  He is physically strong, a really tall boy – taller than me!  It doesn’t happen too often that I have to [looks upwards].

“He’s quick, he’s flexible in his movements and good in technical things.  He has played in different systems, with four or three defenders.  He scores goals, four or five per season minimum.  He is good in the one-on-one and quick.  It’s a package.

“He has to learn, that’s normal but he has learned a lot in the last few years and made big steps in his development.  For us, it was a chance.  You can’t always make transfers only to solve a problem.

“I know people are saying our defence isn’t that good.  We have to defend better as a team, first of all.  It’s not for solving a problem – it’s a transfer with a really good perspective for the future, a long-term thing.  But he can help immediately and that’s really good for us.”
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #123: Jul 02, 2016 01:23:33 pm
      Another player hand picked by the Manager.

Klopp reveals reasons behind move for Matip

Jürgen Klopp has revealed why a move for Joel Matip was already in his thinking long before Liverpool swooped to reach an agreement for the defender to join the club this summer.

It was confirmed on Monday that the Cameroon international will make a switch to the Reds after the conclusion of his current deal with Bundesliga side Schalke.

The 24-year-old has built up a wealth of experience since his senior debut in 2009 and represented his country at each of the past two World Cups.

Klopp observed Matip closely while in charge of Borussia Dortmund and was so impressed by the performances he witnessed, the German shortlisted him as a potential recruit for his next team during a sabbatical from the game before taking charge at Anfield.

The manager told Liverpoolfc.com: “I am very happy.  Everybody who knows him would have been interested.  Maybe he’s not the most famous player in England but he’s 24 and has played about 200 Bundesliga games for Schalke.

“He is a top-class centre-half, very young but experienced.  You don’t have that too often.  To be honest, when I had my break I thought for the next club, I should think about Joel, if there was a need.

“He never played for my team, he did the extreme opposite – he played for their biggest opponent! Maybe that says a lot about his quality.  Even when he played for the team you cannot love as Dortmund manager, you see his quality.  Then that’s real quality.

“The chance was there and Joel wanted to do something different.  He is and was really close to his club; it’s normal, he played there since he was a youth player.  I think there was no chance for another Bundesliga club in this moment but Liverpool was the right name and the right club.

“Maybe it was a little advantage that I know him and he knows me.  He’s still a young player and for a young player, it could help to make the decision when there’s a manager from your home country.

“It’s a good situation, hopefully a win-win.  In this moment, it looks like this.  Now he has to stay healthy and after the summer break we can start working together.”

Klopp is confident Matip’s attributes are well-suited to the demands of the Barclays Premier League, and with room for further improvement for a player who has amassed 27 caps at international level.

He added: “He’s a real centre-half.  He is physically strong, a really tall boy – taller than me!  It doesn’t happen too often that I have to [looks upwards].

“He’s quick, he’s flexible in his movements and good in technical things.  He has played in different systems, with four or three defenders.  He scores goals, four or five per season minimum.  He is good in the one-on-one and quick.  It’s a package.

“He has to learn, that’s normal but he has learned a lot in the last few years and made big steps in his development.  For us, it was a chance.  You can’t always make transfers only to solve a problem.

“I know people are saying our defence isn’t that good.  We have to defend better as a team, first of all.  It’s not for solving a problem – it’s a transfer with a really good perspective for the future, a long-term thing.  But he can help immediately and that’s really good for us.”

I remember reading this. The one quote that stood out for me was..."To be honest, when I had my break I thought for the next club, I should think about Joel, if there was a need." Klopp clearly rates him very highly if he was thinking of signing him for whatever team he took charge of next.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #124: Jul 02, 2016 01:49:30 pm
      I remember reading this. The one quote that stood out for me was..."To be honest, when I had my break I thought for the next club, I should think about Joel, if there was a need." Klopp clearly rates him very highly if he was thinking of signing him for whatever team he took charge of next.

Yeah the interview was from February mate, just after he'd signed so it's probably already on here but as the forum was going through a mini civil war at the time it was probably overlooked or forgotten about.   

It's not unusual for the forum to have a totally different outlook to the Managers when it comes to new players, we of course always have a more informed opinion on whether they're good enough or not and of course we don't have the arduous job of having to work with them once they're here  :f_tongueincheek:

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #125: Jul 02, 2016 05:15:22 pm
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #126: Jul 02, 2016 05:19:23 pm

Speaks very clear and good English!
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 496 posts | 80 
      Reply #127: Jul 03, 2016 10:05:21 am

The interviewer needs sacking! Awful questions!
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #128: Jul 03, 2016 10:09:54 am
      I'm liking the sound of this lad more with each article I read.  Good reader of the game, front foot defender, great header, good passing ability, scores goals, can play left back and defensive midfield, what's not to like  ;D

'Liverpool recruit Matip has got brains as well as brawn'

19:00, 1 Jul 2016
          Updated 20:04, 1 Jul 2016
          By Chris Beesley

Reds defender is ideal for Klopp, says Bundesliga expert Jorg Jakob.

New Liverpool recruit Joel Matip has got the brains as well as brawn to succeed in the Premier League reckons Bundesliga expert Jorg Jakob.

Standing at a towering 6ft 5in tall the Bochum-born Cameroon international certainly has the physical presence to be a big hit with the Reds but there is also plenty of silk to go with the steel in his game.

Jakob, who writes for Germany’s leading sports magazine Kicker, said: “Joel’s definitely someone who remains balanced in his defending and tackling style.

“He doesn’t give away too many fouls which is important in modern football and for Gegenpressing. You get the ball and open the attack and you don’t have to foul with the tackling, just get the ball the right way and he’s a good passer.

“Joel has also scored some goals, especially from set pieces as he’s good in the air too.”

With question marks over Mamadou Sakho, Martin Skrtel seemingly heading for the exit door and Kolo Toure already having been shown it, Jürgen Klopp has got issues in the centre-back berth but Jakob believes Matip is the ideal candidate to step into the breach.

He said: “Joel is just what you want from a modern defender and is a major personality.

“Of course you need more toughness defending in the Premier League than the Bundesliga that’s for sure.

“But there’s a lack of football technique among some of the defenders in the Premier League so he should stand out there and I think he fits really well into the idea of how Jürgen Klopp wants to play.

“He can get on the ball and is stable behind the midfield but plays with other guys in front of him as well.

“We’ve seen him play at full-back too plus the ‘number six’ role as well which means you have to be quite intelligent and able to read a game as well.”

Another plus point is that Matip has such a likeable character that none of Schalke’s fans turned on him after it was revealed he was quitting the club for nothing to join the Reds.

In the early years after Bosman-style free transfers were introduced for players whose contracts were expiring, local lad Steve McManaman came in for a rough ride from some sections of the Anfield crowd after it emerged he was heading for Real Madrid.

Jakob reveals that similar outbursts have become commonplace at Ruhr rivals Dortmund but Klopp’s new recruit has been spared such treatment.

He said: “Matip is experienced already and he has played Champions League as well, not only one season, and they qualified for the semi-finals in 2011 and he was already in the side then as a teenager, scoring against Inter on that journey.

“He keeps calm and even though he is still young he has played a lot of games. What speaks volumes for me was that when it was announced that Joel Matip was leaving Schalke and going to Liverpool there wasn’t a bad word said about him.

“In recent years it has become all too common to criticise players when they leave. It’s worse in Germany than it was some years ago.

“I think people can still make a difference, even if it’s a foreigner coming over for one or two years to play a bit, get the money and then move on.

“Of course you’re very sad if you lose a young player who has come up through the ranks at your team and you thought he might become a one-club man but I think everyone appreciated what Matip did and it makes sense that a guy who has got the quality is making the next step in international football.”
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #129: Jul 03, 2016 10:11:34 am
      The interviewer needs sacking! Awful questions!

Always the same mate.  It's cringeworthy with every new signing.
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #130: Jul 04, 2016 10:00:40 am
      How important is it for you to have signed for Liverpool? What do you love about Liverpool? When are you getting your first Liverpool tattoo? How much do you love the fans? 

So cringe.

On Matip though I'm excited to have him in the team. I know he said he has some work to do in order to get fit for the start of the season but for me he looks proper lightweight. Needs to get on the weights
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #131: Jul 04, 2016 05:59:53 pm
      How important is it for you to have signed for Liverpool? What do you love about Liverpool? When are you getting your first Liverpool tattoo? How much do you love the fans? 

So cringe.

On Matip though I'm excited to have him in the team. I know he said he has some work to do in order to get fit for the start of the season but for me he looks proper lightweight. Needs to get on the weights

Looks lightweight but it's deceptive. Just like people think Sakho isn't good with the ball at his feet and passing.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #132: Jul 04, 2016 06:37:39 pm
      Most cringe part was him holding a kit with a coathanger in it still. WTF do they do at the club?
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #133: Jul 04, 2016 07:11:33 pm
      Most cringe part was him holding a kit with a coathanger in it still. WTF do they do at the club?

:D  No idea mate but we don't do ourselves any favours with these first interviews/unveilings.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #134: Jul 04, 2016 08:59:40 pm

Easier to hold and see the kit plus he's got 2 free hangers, why is that such a huge cock up or anything? It's practical if, if he held front and back up in each hand with no hanger then it'd just be a mess for the camera.
         The hate train needs to stop, this is the club we love right so it's not a source of mockery as far as I'm concerned. Only exception to that rule is Ian Ayre, feel free to until he leaves.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #135: Jul 05, 2016 01:10:04 am
      Easier to hold and see the kit plus he's got 2 free hangers, why is that such a huge cock up or anything? It's practical if, if he held front and back up in each hand with no hanger then it'd just be a mess for the camera.
         The hate train needs to stop, this is the club we love right so it's not a source of mockery as far as I'm concerned. Only exception to that rule is Ian Ayre, feel free to until he leaves.

Why does he need to do it at all mate? Looks like he's a salesman at the official store trying to sell shirts :D
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #136: Jul 05, 2016 05:51:04 am
      Why does he need to do it at all mate? Looks like he's a salesman at the official store trying to sell shirts :D

;D, it's the only way we'll know it's real.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #137: Jul 05, 2016 09:29:45 am

Getting picky in your old age Crouchie :D

Quick Reply