Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Liverpool owners 'underestimated how poor squad was' when buying club in 2010...

Read 9026 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Liverpool owners 'underestimated how poor squad was' when buying club in 2010...
      Mar 03, 2016 05:51:52 pm
      Liverpool owners 'underestimated how poor squad was' when buying club in 2010... with Fernando Torres and Pepe Reina slammed as 'past their prime'

:D

The quality of Liverpool's squad was 'poor' when FSG took over in 2010.
      Owners Fenway Sports Group forced into giving evidence in legal dispute.
      Mill Financial opened legal proceedings against RBS and George Gillett.
      Gillett and former co-owner Tom Hicks failed to repay £280million loan.
      Edward Weiss, FSG's former general counsel, was in attendance at hearing
      Weiss singled out Fernando Torres and Pepe Reina as 'past their prime'.

:lmao:

Liverpool owners Fenway Sports Group 'underestimated how poor' the quality of the squad was when taking over in 2010 ‒ with Fernando Torres and Pepe Reina slammed as 'beyond their prime'.
      A long-running legal dispute between Mill Financial, the Royal Bank of Scotland and the club's former co-owner George Gillett has forced FSG into giving evidence.

Legal proceedings against RBS and Gillett were opened by American firm Mill Financial after the former co-owner and business partner Tom Hicks were unable to repay a £280million loan when FSG replaced them as owners in 2010.

Liverpool owner John W Henry (left) and chairman Tom Werner (right) watch a training session this season

Fenway Sports Group 'underestimated how poor' the quality of squad was when taking over the club in 2010

According to Edward Weiss, FSG's former general counsel, the quality of the squad was 'poor' in 2010
      Current Reds owner John W Henry did not attend but Edward Weiss, FSG's former general counsel, was in attendance and he revealed the team's lack of quality on the pitch at the time of the takeover.

Speaking at the hearing in New York, Weiss said: 'Like trying to catch a knife falling off the table, you're not sure where before it's hit the ground you've caught it.

'You know, I think we underestimated how poor the playing quality of the squad was, and frankly, we underestimated how difficult it was going to be to stabilise the asset.

'We were overconfident in assuming that many of the things that we had done in Boston at Fenway would translate naturally to the Premier League and they just didn't all translate.'
      At the time of their takeover, Liverpool had the likes of Steven Gerrard, Jamie Carragher and Dirk Kuyt all starring for the Premier League giants.

However, Weiss ‒ who revealed FSG watched just one Liverpool match before buying the club ‒ also admitted that a number of their leading names were all beyond their prime and singled out Spanish pair Torres and Reina for criticism.

Weiss singled out criticism for former Liverpool striker Fernando Torres (pictured in September 2010)

Ex-goalkeeper Pepe Reina, who made a calamitous error in 1-1 draw with Arsenal in 2010, was also criticised

Javier Mascherano, who has gone on to star for Spanish giants Barcelona, was also discussed by Weiss
      LIVERPOOL'S SQUAD FOR 2010-11 SEASON WHEN FSG BOUGHT THE CLUB

Senior squad

Brad Jones
      Glen Johnson
      Daniel Agger
      Fabio Aurelio
      Steven Gerrard
      Fernando Torres
      Joe Cole
      Milan Jovanovic
      Sotiris Kyrgiakos
      Maxi Rodriguez
      Dirk Kuyt
      Lucas Leiva
      Jamie Carragher
      Pepe Reina
      Jay Spearing
      Stephen Darby
      Martin Skrtel
      Christian Poulsen
      Ryan Babel
      Paul Konchesky
      Raul Meireles

'We obviously did some due diligence on the playing squad during this process before we closed on the transaction in the middle of October of 2010,' he added.
      'What we came to know was that the playing squad was poor.
      'While we had a few top players like Steven Gerrard, other players like Fernando Torres and Pepe Reina were probably beyond their primes, and Javier Mascherano was not even on the team.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3474679/Liverpool-owners-underestimated-poor-squad-buying-club-2010-Fernando-Torres-Pepe-Reina-slammed-past-primes.html#ixzz41rZT4lP6
      Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8675 
      Re: Liverpool owners 'underestimated how poor squad was' when buying club in 2010...
      Reply #1: Mar 03, 2016 07:13:27 pm
      F***ing hell what a sad indictment of their early time here - only saw one game - were overconfident that the approach they'd took in a sport barely 4 countries play in the world could work in the planets most popular sport - and someone somewhere who we will probably NEVER hear about or know did 'due diligence' on the squad before they took over!!

That's like me going over to their gaff and passing my eye over their rounders players.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Re: Liverpool owners 'underestimated how poor squad was' when buying club in 2010...
      Reply #2: Mar 03, 2016 07:18:37 pm
      Only saw one game and then felt they had enough knowledge to declare Torres and Reina past their best, whilst, I assume, they thought Paul Konchesky looked like a trier.

Jesus wept.

If they think the squad was bad in 2010 just wait until they decided to spend millions on Balotelli's, Luis Albertos, Fabio Borinis and Iago Aspas's of the world.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #3: Mar 03, 2016 07:37:56 pm
      Only saw one game and then felt they had enough knowledge to declare Torres and Reina past their best, whilst, I assume, they thought Paul Konchesky looked like a trier.

Jesus wept.

If they think the squad was bad in 2010 just wait until they decided to spend millions on Balotelli's, Luis Albertos, Fabio Borinis and Iago Aspas's of the world.

To be fair JD....they nailed Torres, he was never the same after the injury.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,983 posts | 5042 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #4: Mar 03, 2016 07:57:47 pm
      F**k me that's incredible, they only watched us once before deciding to buy us,!
      I wonder how many times DIC had us watched or whoever else were interested at that time,  and would that not come under the FA's fit & proper owners ruling (not sure I've worded that correctly?) in that they(buyers) knew very little about their investment,
      I'm assuming RBS had a say in the preceedings after all it was them that was owed the money, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Perhaps Martin Boughton decided NESV were appropriate enough irrespective of how little they knew about us?

YNWA
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #5: Mar 03, 2016 08:23:04 pm
      F**k me that's incredible, they only watched us once before deciding to buy us,!
      I wonder how many times DIC had us watched or whoever else were interested at that time,  and would that not come under the FA's fit & proper owners ruling (not sure I've worded that correctly?) in that they(buyers) knew very little about their investment,
      I'm assuming RBS had a say in the preceedings after all it was them that was owed the money, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Perhaps Martin Boughton decided NESV were appropriate enough irrespective of how little they knew about us?

YNWA

Exactly Billy.

It was such an easy investment to make, £230m for a global name in the richest league in the world with a fan base the size of ours.

They didn't look at the squad they looked at the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$s.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #6: Mar 03, 2016 08:24:15 pm
      I'd take a "past his prime" Reina, Agger, Carra etc over a lot of what we have now and what we have signed since they took over.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #7: Mar 03, 2016 08:29:00 pm
      And so in response to inheriting a poor squad, they made it even poorer.  :roll:
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #8: Mar 03, 2016 08:32:01 pm
      Deluded fuckers, don't think they know what a quality footballer is...

Should have stuck to rounders...
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #9: Mar 03, 2016 08:34:51 pm
      I'd take a "past his prime" Reina, Agger, Carra etc over a lot of what we have now and what we have signed since they took over.

One game for Due Diligence FFS !

That was on par with Moores and Parry accepting a phone call from Rothschilds saying Hansel and Gretel were good to go.
      That was their Due Dil on the buyers.

DIC were entrenched for months doing their DD with the lovely Amanda Stavely doing her stuff with Dubai .
      Their bid in 2008 was for £400 million.
      Moores and Parry were in a hurry.

Like Kenny has said.

If they thought the squad was poor .......... bullshit methinks to justify their low bid to RBS   ...... then stand that squad  up to today's heap of crap.
      All they needed to do was meet the debt and pay £15mill on top which was probably fees etc.
      They did.

Thats business.   Good business and I would prefer who we are now with , than any other purchaser sniffing around then.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #10: Mar 03, 2016 08:35:46 pm
      And so in response to inheriting a poor squad, they made it even poorer.  :roll:

Exactamundo  5.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #11: Mar 03, 2016 08:36:40 pm
      In 2010

Brad Jones - sh*t
      Glen Johnson - Was still going alright
      Daniel Agger - Injury prone but amazing on his day
      Fabio Aurelio - See above
      Steven Gerrard - World class
      Fernando Torres - World class
      Joe Cole - Meh
      Milan Jovanovic - Utter utter sh*te

Sotiris Kyrgiakos - Good in the air, not elite
      Maxi Rodriguez - Big game player, nothing special othewise
      Dirk Kuyt - Vastly underrated, was still good
      Lucas Leiva - Fantastic
      Jamie Carragher - Still solid
      Pepe Reina - Do this day would be the best keeper in the squad 6 years later, not over the hill in 2010
      Jay Spearing - Was always a nothing player
      Stephen Darby - Dud

Martin Skrtel - Solid defender
      Christian Poulsen - I'm angry I've been reminded about him he was that bad
      Ryan Babel - Never lived up to his potential
      Paul Konchesky - sh*te

Raul Meireles - Decent

sh*t players in bold. Take what you want from it.

To be honest I don't care what they say in court so long as it makes Hicks and or Gillet suffer.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,983 posts | 5042 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #12: Mar 03, 2016 08:47:26 pm
      FSG seem to be very astute at underestimating, they underestimated how poor our status was after Herpes & Gonorrhoea fu**ed things up, and more recently the underestimated their customers, sorry fans when they decided to rob us in ticket prices,

Their estimation of us was let's say underestimated   :f_doh:

YNWA
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #13: Mar 03, 2016 09:34:51 pm
      In 2010

Fernando Torres - World class

1st match I ever watched was the 2010 derby a few days after they took over....I am not recalling Fernando Torres being world class from that time on, or at Chelsea or at Athletico

Did I miss something....
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #14: Mar 03, 2016 09:36:22 pm
      Probably came to the right conclusion the wrong way and things haven't got better since.

Hopefully Jürgen can be the figurehead for change.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #15: Mar 03, 2016 09:41:46 pm
      I guess FSG are down playing the value of players and club knowing how f**king cheap they got us and would not like to give any indication of it...

Players were Sh*te, club was sh*te & maybe hindsight we should never have bought the club... Blah blah blah..
      With Hope In My Heart
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,281 posts | 184 
      Reply #16: Mar 03, 2016 10:13:17 pm
      I guess FSG are down playing the value of players and club knowing how f**king cheap they got us and would not like to give any indication of it...

Players were Sh*te, club was sh*te & maybe hindsight we should never have bought the club... Blah blah blah..

That's my kind of take on it.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #17: Mar 03, 2016 11:36:01 pm
      Torres may have been sh*te but we got £50million for him.
      Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #18: Mar 04, 2016 01:53:56 am
      Torres may have been sh*te but we got £50million for him.

Yeah but to Chelsea, and look how he did there!

I still laugh at them chavvy bas**rds now!
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #19: Mar 04, 2016 04:32:33 am
      Yeah but to Chelsea, and look how he did there!

I still laugh at them chavvy bas**rds now!

FSG sold Torres within 3 months of taking over. Would we feel any better at losing Torres if he had gone on to be an outstanding player for Chelsea? Does it make you feel better that we sold Suarez and he is proving just how good he is at Barca?

They got £50 million for Torres, crying now that he wasn't world class is pathetic. They got a world class fee for him.

Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #20: Mar 04, 2016 04:51:09 am

Nah, judge that when they leave. When they came in they had an average old squad that needed years of revitalising. They are transforming it into something better.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #21: Mar 04, 2016 05:01:26 am
      Nah, judge that when they leave. When they came in they had an average old squad that needed years of revitalising. They are transforming it into something better.

Almost 6 years now mate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_pfnLybgCY
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #22: Mar 04, 2016 06:53:40 am
      I cannot believe that FSG underestimated how poor the squad was when they bought (stole ) the club. Lets face if the squad had been first class they would of had to pay a lot more than the got it for.FSG knew they were on a cash cow the minute Twit and tw*t were in financial trouble.

Quick Reply