Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Mignolet
      2 (1.4%)
      Clyne
      0 (0%)
      Lovren
      45 (31%)
      Sakho
      34 (23.4%)
      Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Henderson
      1 (0.7%)
      Can
      6 (4.1%)
      Milner
      2 (1.4%)
      Lallana
      1 (0.7%)
      Coutinho
      2 (1.4%)
      Origi
      49 (33.8%)
      Allen
      3 (2.1%)
      Sturridge
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 141

Voting closed: Apr 10, 2016 10:16:40 pm

Dortmund 1-1 Liverpool: In-game & Post-match "YNWA"!

Read 37421 times
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Re: Dortmund 1-1 Liverpool: In-game & Post-match "YNWA"!
      Reply #805: Apr 08, 2016 08:14:13 am
      I thought it was a classic European performance, reminded me of some of the away day performances we put in under Rafa, I wouldn't say it was passive though. It was encouraging to see that we can play a proper counter attacking style and be compact defensively because it's tough to play Jürgen's pressing game all the time.For the return leg I think he will start with Studge but I think it will be a slightly cagey game and we will still be wary of their pace and trickery up front.

TBH mate I'd play exactly the same. I dont think in all honesty we've given the manager and players quite the credit they deserve.  We are punching well above our weight here, these are an absolute quality team and they could rip us to spreads even at Anfield if we get carried away.

0-0 sees us progress  (I know it obviously won't finish that but they don't  :lmao:), so a good starting point is let em come and  try score a goal.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #806: Apr 08, 2016 08:23:58 am
      I thought it was a classic European performance, reminded me of some of the away day performances we put in under Rafa, I wouldn't say it was passive though. It was encouraging to see that we can play a proper counter attacking style and be compact defensively because it's tough to play Jürgen's pressing game all the time.For the return leg I think he will start with Studge but I think it will be a slightly cagey game and we will still be wary of their pace and trickery up front.

Agreed. I think my 'passive' comment re. the team wasn't the right choice of words, that came from the fan-base (on here) more so, who were laid back and didn't really expect much, or give our lads much of a chance.

Yes, it would be tough to play Jürgen's pressing game all the time - I think some even said that previously but were hounded upon as it appeared some sort of criticism leveled at Klopp.

The second leg will be cagey and so I think it is important now at home that we carry as much of a goal threat as possible and for that I would use Sturridge. Origi got the industrious job done last night for Klopp which turned out to be a good move by the manager.

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #807: Apr 08, 2016 09:26:59 am
      Fantastic result and a very good performance. I think overall we created the better chances too and perhaps should have left with winning that match.

I will take 1-1 all day long though but there is still a lot to do in the second leg. I just hope we don't do a Chelsea from 2 years ago and go gung ho when we don't need too. Keep calm, keep it tight, play on the counter - even if we are at home. We have the advantage and Dortmund have to score so don't play into their hands and sprint around like excited headless chickens leaving space all over the pitch. Same tactics please boss, pack the midfield and frustrate them!

I thought we looked really organised for most of the game last night which is something I haven't been able to say about Liverpool teams for the last couple of seasons. It was a proper professional performance that was needed in an away game in Europe. Well done lads.

Mignolet - He should have kept their goal out and I don't know what he was playing at doing two or three cruyff turns either, I hope Jürgen has bollocked him for that. He did however make one or two good stops. So pretty much a standard performance from Mignolet - a couple of big mistakes one of which has cost us but a couple of big saves which could have easily been goals.

Lovren & Sakho - Fantastic throughout. A couple of errors by both during the game but in general they defended like lions, in particular Lovren who I gave motm too. Lovrens turnaround is truly incredible. 12 months ago I would go as far as saying he was the worst CB in the league but now on current form I'd go as far as saying he is the best CB in the league.  He should have scored his header but I'll forgive him. Lovren is first name on the team sheet for me at the moment though. Wellin lad.

Moreno & Clyne - Again one or two little mistakes from both, giving the ball away cheaply or being beaten by players once or twice but that's expected against top opposition. They did however defend pretty well throughout and I have no complaints with either.

The midfield five of Lallana, Milner, Hendo, Can and Coutinho worked really, really hard. They knew when to press and when to sit behind the ball. They each covered every blade of grass on the pitch. Hendo and Can were a bit nervous on the ball but it was what they did without the ball that was impressive and in a fixture like this its probably more important.

Origi - Great performance from the young lad and a well taken goal. He should have had another too but what a shift he put in, worked his bollocks off and put himself about. He is another one who has completely turned around his form. A contender for Motm certainly.

Just want to give a mention to Joe Allen who I also thought played very well when he came on and if he is picked for the second leg Im more than confident he will do a job.

craventom
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 55 posts | 68 
      Reply #808: Apr 08, 2016 09:51:05 am
      As a Dortmund supporter I can tell you that the Reds have succeeded as one of the very few teams this season to limit the BVB to just a handful of good chances to score.

The black-yellows couldn´t show their massive talents at all and the Liverpool squad made them look really perplexed nearly whole game. Main reason for that was the extraordinary good defensive organisation cutting pass routes and denying nearly every effort to enter the box.

So big respect for this performance without any restriction!

Will be very interesiting to see if you succeed as well in the return leg and if so, you really deserve it.

Besides it was a very friendly atmosphere last night at the ground with LFC and BVB supporters chanting the YNWA together before the game and applauding each other like friends.

Never seen so many half-half scarves on the stands, even in the away section despite of your rejection of this fan article.  :)

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Live: Dortmund V Liverpool
      Reply #809: Apr 08, 2016 09:54:59 am

I presume it keeps you entertained.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #810: Apr 08, 2016 09:56:06 am
      BRILLIANT 1-1 Away to Dortumnd will do nicely, still a lot to do, but great half time score, now to smash em at anfield. ;D
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #811: Apr 08, 2016 10:11:21 am
      As a Dortmund supporter I can tell you that the Reds have succeeded as one of the very few teams this season to limit the BVB to just a handful of good chances to score.

The black-yellows couldn´t show their massive talents at all and the Liverpool squad made them look really perplexed nearly whole game. Main reason for that was the extraordinary good defensive organisation cutting pass routes and denying nearly every effort to enter the box.

So big respect for this performance without any restriction!

Will be very interesiting to see if you succeed as well in the return leg and if so, you really deserve it.

Besides it was a very friendly atmosphere last night at the ground with LFC and BVB supporters chanting the YNWA together before the game and applauding each other like friends.

Never seen so many half-half scarves on the stands, even in the away section despite of your rejection of this fan article.  :)

It is set up nicely for the second leg now and may the best team win.

Anfield on a European night is special. I know it sounds cheesy but there is magic around the air. The atmosphere will be electric and I can't wait for it. The Kop will look truly stunning too.

I'm glad the relationship between both supporters was friendly last night, I expected nothing else. There is definitely mutual respect between the clubs and we are similar in many ways - two proper football clubs. There will be plenty of scousers and germans sharing a few pints on Thursday around Liverpool.

Half and half scarves can almost be forgiven in European ties I think, more so away from home. If I had gone to Dortmund last night then I definitely would have bought one as a souvenir. I won't be buying one on Thursday outside Anfield though, staying red  ;)  :kop5cf8koxp6:

Good luck for the return leg.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #812: Apr 08, 2016 10:32:54 am
      Nice to see nobody moaning for a change, what with it being like a meeting of the menstruation society of the girl guides in here at times.

YNWA

......you forgot about the menstruating Federer Ian!
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #813: Apr 08, 2016 10:53:26 am
      Great result in the end, good team performance, thought it looked like our lads felt like they had a point to prove.

Just a shame we didn't get a second in that 5 minute spell after they scored. Still was great to see such a strong response to going behind.

Going to be a tough one at Anfield next week.
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 845 posts | 235 
      Reply #814: Apr 08, 2016 11:04:14 am
      This the photo of the idiot who asked the German interviewer what he thought about the Munich disaster.

Anybody know his identity?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #815: Apr 08, 2016 11:05:42 am
      This the photo of the idiot who asked the German interviewer what he thought about the Munich disaster.

Anybody know who his identity?

What a bellend.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #816: Apr 08, 2016 11:24:45 am
      Dortmund are a good team. Klopp has got the best out of the squad. We can do it.

That reads like a pissed haiku
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #817: Apr 08, 2016 11:35:03 am

Haha got it in one mate.
      Boot
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Reply #818: Apr 08, 2016 11:43:49 am
      Fantastic result and a very good performance. I think overall we created the better chances too and perhaps should have left with winning that match.

I will take 1-1 all day long though but there is still a lot to do in the second leg. I just hope we don't do a Chelsea from 2 years ago and go gung ho when we don't need too. Keep calm, keep it tight, play on the counter - even if we are at home. We have the advantage and Dortmund have to score so don't play into their hands and sprint around like excited headless chickens leaving space all over the pitch. Same tactics please boss, pack the midfield and frustrate them!

I thought we looked really organised for most of the game last night which is something I haven't been able to say about Liverpool teams for the last couple of seasons. It was a proper professional performance that was needed in an away game in Europe. Well done lads.

Mignolet - He should have kept their goal out and I don't know what he was playing at doing two or three cruyff turns either, I hope Jürgen has bollocked him for that. He did however make one or two good stops. So pretty much a standard performance from Mignolet - a couple of big mistakes one of which has cost us but a couple of big saves which could have easily been goals.

Lovren & Sakho - Fantastic throughout. A couple of errors by both during the game but in general they defended like lions, in particular Lovren who I gave motm too. Lovrens turnaround is truly incredible. 12 months ago I would go as far as saying he was the worst CB in the league but now on current form I'd go as far as saying he is the best CB in the league.  He should have scored his header but I'll forgive him. Lovren is first name on the team sheet for me at the moment though. Wellin lad.

Moreno & Clyne - Again one or two little mistakes from both, giving the ball away cheaply or being beaten by players once or twice but that's expected against top opposition. They did however defend pretty well throughout and I have no complaints with either.

The midfield five of Lallana, Milner, Hendo, Can and Coutinho worked really, really hard. They knew when to press and when to sit behind the ball. They each covered every blade of grass on the pitch. Hendo and Can were a bit nervous on the ball but it was what they did without the ball that was impressive and in a fixture like this its probably more important.

Origi - Great performance from the young lad and a well taken goal. He should have had another too but what a shift he put in, worked his bollocks off and put himself about. He is another one who has completely turned around his form. A contender for Motm certainly.

Just want to give a mention to Joe Allen who I also thought played very well when he came on and if he is picked for the second leg Im more than confident he will do a job.

I'm going to pick you up on Mignolet.  I have been knocking him as much as next person, but I actually thought he looked more assured last night and had a good game.  The header was too close and came too fast for him to get anything on it.  But he actually caught balls in which he would often flap at. I agree the Cryuff Turns were not needed and on another day could result in a goal.

I do agree Lovren was immense last night, covering up Sakho's mistakes.  Sakho doesn't have a mistake in him, he has a ton of mistakes in him.  I can think of two occasions were he was in front of the play whist they had the ball and Lovren cleared up.

Not sure how much longer I can keep watching Sakho playing.  But just as I am about swear at him, he puts out a foot and stops a potential goal...   Got to love his Air Kick!!!!

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #819: Apr 08, 2016 11:51:58 am
      I'm going to pick you up on Mignolet.  I have been knocking him as much as next person, but I actually thought he looked more assured last night and had a good game.  The header was too close and came too fast for him to get anything on it.  But he actually caught balls in which he would often flap at. I agree the Cryuff Turns were not needed and on another day could result in a goal.

I do agree Lovren was immense last night, covering up Sakho's mistakes.  Sakho doesn't have a mistake in him, he has a ton of mistakes in him.  I can think of two occasions were he was in front of the play whist they had the ball and Lovren cleared up.

Not sure how much longer I can keep watching Sakho playing.  But just as I am about swear at him, he puts out a foot and stops a potential goal...   Got to love his Air Kick!!!!

Care to highlight which Sakho mistakes you were so incensed about?
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #820: Apr 08, 2016 11:56:43 am

I do agree Lovren was immense last night, covering up Sakho's mistakes. 
      Sakho doesn't have a mistake in him, he has a ton of mistakes in him.
      I can think of two occasions were he was in front of the play whist they had the ball and Lovren cleared up.

Not sure how much longer I can keep watching Sakho playing. 
      But just as I am about swear at him, he puts out a foot and stops a potential goal... 

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #821: Apr 08, 2016 12:16:05 pm

He made a couple of good stops and he caught a couple of good crosses. Not denying that.

He didn't look any more assured though. I had my head in my hands half a dozen or so times last night when Migs had the ball. He makes fans and his team mates nervous each and every week. You're being too kind for him for the goal too because a top keeper saves that. Its more or less straight at him and he got a hand to it. That doesn't go past De Gea or Courtois does it?

Well Sakho seems to be getting quite a few votes in the poll for motm and rightly so because yes he did make a couple of errors, so did the other 10 players last night, but in general he was solid and defended very well. Both him and Lovren deserve massive praise for last night and they are beginning to form some partnership.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #822: Apr 08, 2016 12:18:04 pm
      I do agree Lovren was immense last night, covering up Sakho's mistakes.

Agree on Lovren.  Harsh on Sakho.

Lovren's got the benefit of Clyne next to him who is a more accomplished defender than Moreno.  I'd be prepared to wager that Sakho has to do far more covering at left back than Lovren does at right back.

Both Sakho and Lovren saved clear goalscoring opportunities last night.

On to Mignolet

He made a couple of good stops and he caught a couple of good crosses. Not denying that.

He didn't look any more assured though. I had my head in my hands half a dozen or so times last night when Migs had the ball.

Had a good game last night. Couple of good saves - one of them great but again when we had a spell under the cosh he punches the ball to the edge of the area when a 'top' keeper would have caught it and eased the pressure. 

If he doesn't have time to think about things he is capable of quickly reacting to shots.  It's when he has time to prepare for corners, or sees a looping ball coming in to the area that his brain kicks in and 'often' farts.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #823: Apr 08, 2016 12:19:59 pm
      The best part of last night though was when Jürgen celebrated our goal. The guy can't contain his passion for the game.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #824: Apr 08, 2016 01:20:57 pm
      Our best away European performance since Madrid in 2009. Thought the team played excellent and even though Origi scored a superb goal, I thought our back line played really well. Would give Lovren motm, but you can add in Sakho who I thought put in a good shift alongside Dejan. Whisper it quietly, I actually thought Moreno and Mignolet both had very good games. Jürgen definitely got his homework right. Now just go out and do the job at home.

As for the Yellow wall and all that, yeah it's good and they do seem to sing more consistently, but too orchestrated to give them that extra. When we can actually be arsed. the Kop is louder and better.
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 414 posts | 53 
      Reply #825: Apr 08, 2016 01:24:00 pm
      very good performance with a solid defence. Thought the team worked their socks off. It was like a throw back to the late 70's - early 80's away european performances.  Now to finish the job off at Anfield....
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #826: Apr 08, 2016 01:38:34 pm
      When he pumped his chest I immediately jumped up and did it to myself three times, it f**king hurt.

:lmao:
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #827: Apr 08, 2016 01:46:30 pm
      When he pumped his chest I immediately jumped up and did it to myself three times, it f**king hurt.

Quick Reply