Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Sadio Mane (Southampton)

Read 55415 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Sadio Mane (Southampton)
      Reply #483: Jun 27, 2016 06:20:06 am
      Nice. Got his man and it seems a logical fit.

Whether he is good enough we will see.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #484: Jun 27, 2016 06:25:03 am
      I believe this is a good and positive signing. Pretty much were spoken of Mane's inconsistency, but we already have one too many inconsistent players in the likes of Lallana, Hendo, Firminho and to a certain extend Cou in our ranks. That's the very reason that we lost 2 cup finals and stumbled time and again for 4th spot. If we need to crucify Mane for being inconsistent then we need to do the same for the rest. But we haven't seen Mane in our shirts yet so it's premature to put a judgement on him. By the way I am not Mane's agent.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #485: Jun 27, 2016 06:57:42 am
      Good signing a little more of what I would have paid but if Jürgen think's he's worth it then he has my full support.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #486: Jun 27, 2016 07:34:15 am
      Mancs getting Mkhitarayan for 26M............ £30M suddenly seems very steep.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #487: Jun 27, 2016 07:35:14 am
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36636488

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sadio-mane-transfer-shows-liverpool-11527961

Rodgers blocked the move to us two years ago at £18 million cheaper

It could have been so different, though.

Two years ago, Mane was identified at Red Bull Salzburg.

It was there, under the guidance of now-Leverkusen boss Roger Schmidt, were Mane bagged 13 goals in a side that dominated their domestic league, scoring a staggering 110 goals in 36 games.

He was used to playing in a side with such abandon going forward, and a move to Liverpool – 101 goals in 2013-14, of course – made sense.

Brendan Rodgers did not agree, and Southampton swooped for the forward in a £12m deal.

Two years on, with Klopp already an admirer from his time at Borussia Dortmund, the deal is nearing completion – for nearly £20m more than it should have been.

There is no knowing how Mane would have developed at Anfield. It is possible he would have been dragged into the club’s season-long hangover from the failed 2014 title bid; two years under Ronald Koeman is far more desirable to a player’s progression than the instability and inconsistency that riddled Anfield.

bobobobo
      • Forum Ian St John

• 439 posts | 20 
      Reply #488: Jun 27, 2016 08:31:28 am
      The more I think about it it does make a lot of sense

He's a year late replacement for Raheem - but better

Kind of like Firmino sort of plays similarly to Suarez - dropping deep when playing as the main striker but also able to stretch defenses

I'm NOT saying Firmino is as good as Suarez, but who knows - one day he could be -  he's still young
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,172 posts | 524 
      Reply #489: Jun 27, 2016 08:45:35 am
      I don't get it with some of our fans. They keep saying Mane isn't worth £30 million, if we are honest here he probably isn't, but who is worth what these days, it's a crazy world when it comes to football transfers. Probably the only people worth vast amounts are when you get up to the 60 million plus bracket, and we do not shop in that area. If Jürgen thinks Mane is worth it, then that is good enough for me.

Of course it's all about opinions, and that's mine.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #490: Jun 27, 2016 08:46:22 am
      Mancs getting Mkhitarayan for 26M............ £30M suddenly seems very steep.

Rather we concentrate on our own affairs than care about them.

Mane       Firmino       Coutinho

Sturridge/Origi

Not bad.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #491: Jun 27, 2016 09:06:56 am
      Reality is that Klopp doesn't want to go back to Dortmund and raid their players... If they come here and dont work out then its just an awful situation and to be honest I respect that. I also don't care what Utd to be fair...

My issue is that out scouting team need a massive overhaul - we should be looking towards the Atletico model and getting in these players who are going to develop. We have spent in the region of £85 Million in 3 seasons on Southampton players - this highlights a serious issue with where we are doing business.

Mane could be amazing for us and fits into the style we want to develop - lets hope he hits the floor running or this could be a really tough season for the lad with that pricetag.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #492: Jun 27, 2016 09:11:45 am
      I don't get it with some of our fans. They keep saying Mane isn't worth £30 million, if we are honest here he probably isn't, but who is worth what these days, it's a crazy world when it comes to football transfers. Probably the only people worth vast amounts are when you get up to the 60 million plus bracket, and we do not shop in that area. If Jürgen thinks Mane is worth it, then that is good enough for me.

Of course it's all about opinions, and that's mine.

I totally agree with you,I think we worry too much about transfer fees.As long as the player does the required job the cost should not matter.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #493: Jun 27, 2016 09:12:31 am

Sturridge/Origi

Not bad.

Yeah your probably right it just highlights the ridiculous premium if you buy from the EPL.

But Im happy that we have someone who should easily oust Lallana from that wide right hand side position.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #494: Jun 27, 2016 09:15:41 am
      Yeah your probably right it just highlights the ridiculous premium if you buy from the EPL.

But Im happy that we have someone who should easily oust Lallana from that wide right hand side position.

Agree on both points.

We need more goals from our front line. We can't rely on Coutinho screamers and Sturridge being fit every couple of months. Hoping he hits the ground running and fits like a glove with our other attackers.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #495: Jun 27, 2016 09:27:50 am
      So you'd prefer and believe that Draxler is a better option when he's scored half the goals in more games, would cost the same and hasn't yet played in the P so would need time to settle. 

Isn't that the type of signing everyone's been complaining we keep making?

Also saying Draxler's a winger like De Bruyne?  Mane is a winger, is the same age as De Bruyne who has also scored less goals than Mane in more games and cost City £25m more than we're hoping to get Mane for.

I don't get some of our fans thinking anymore  :depressed:

It's because he is from Southampton. If he was being signed from Dortmund then it would not be a problem.

I am certainly looking forward to him working with Sturridge and Co.

RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #496: Jun 27, 2016 09:29:43 am

haha.
      In all seriousness, it makes perfect sense to buy him now and cut out the middlemen(Southampton). :)
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #497: Jun 27, 2016 09:38:23 am
      I can't help but feel disappointed by this signing.

Feel sorry for players like Mane.  Clearly not worth 30m but will always be judged as a 30m player now.  Even if he puts in half decent performances for us, he will always get criticised because of his price tag. For that sort of money you expect top quality.

A fair price would have been half of that.

I can say with confidence that Mane will never go down as an amazing signing by the club, but lets wait and see. I don't want to put a downer on things for those who are excited by this signing.

For me though, I can't help but sit here and scratch my head wondering when the club will F***ing learn not to overspend on average premiership players from average premiership clubs.

RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #498: Jun 27, 2016 09:43:45 am
      Could be KS...however if that was the intent of the post it also would be incorrect.

He scored or assisted in 15 matches. of the 37 played he did not play in 2 and was used as a substitute off the bench in 5 others.

Wellbuilts premise is that Sadio Mane is terribly inconsistent compared to others.

However if one looks a little closely at the 2015/2016 season it would appear that position is pretty inconsistent and that Sadio Mane is pretty much up there as far as averages for wingers go.

In 15 matches where Sadio Mane started and completed the match he did not score or assist.

In 12 matches where Roberto Firmino started and completed the match he did not score or assist.

In 16 matches where Philipe Coutinho started and completed the match he did not score or assist.

In 24 matches where Eden Hazard started and completed the match he did not score or assist.

In 13 matches where Gareth Bale started and completed the match he did not score or assist.

In 24 matches where Ronaldo started and completed the match he did not score or assist.

So, let's sign him. But, sadly he is not from Southampton. :(
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #499: Jun 27, 2016 09:44:55 am
      * I mentioned, a few times, that I believed Jürgen would go 'ready-made' in the wide positions.

* I mentioned, a few times, that Jürgen wouldn't be afraid to spend more (than at Dortmund), on individuals, now that he was with a team that could afford it.

* I mentioned, a few times, that I don't care how much or little Jürgen spends on a player; as long as he wants that player. And...

* I mentioned , a few times, that I like Mane.

I can't complain.  ;D
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #500: Jun 27, 2016 09:46:38 am

Sturridge/Origi

Not bad.

Exactly.   
      Lot of pace there.

Mane
      Bobby
      Studge
      Origi.

Four strikers to rotate.   

This lad Mane has got pace   , he is a battler and close control of the ball is awesome.
      Brilliant signing.
      Got a hat trick v City this year. Thats not too shabby.

« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2016 09:56:57 am by Skip »
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #501: Jun 27, 2016 10:15:34 am
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36636488

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sadio-mane-transfer-shows-liverpool-11527961

Rodgers blocked the move to us two years ago at £18 million cheaper

It could have been so different, though.

Two years ago, Mane was identified at Red Bull Salzburg.

It was there, under the guidance of now-Leverkusen boss Roger Schmidt, were Mane bagged 13 goals in a side that dominated their domestic league, scoring a staggering 110 goals in 36 games.

He was used to playing in a side with such abandon going forward, and a move to Liverpool – 101 goals in 2013-14, of course – made sense.

Brendan Rodgers did not agree, and Southampton swooped for the forward in a £12m deal.

Two years on, with Klopp already an admirer from his time at Borussia Dortmund, the deal is nearing completion – for nearly £20m more than it should have been.

There is no knowing how Mane would have developed at Anfield. It is possible he would have been dragged into the club’s season-long hangover from the failed 2014 title bid; two years under Ronald Koeman is far more desirable to a player’s progression than the instability and inconsistency that riddled Anfield.

Weird that Skip because a while back [December 2014] the story was significantly different...  http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php?topic=47157.0

Aware that numbers mattered to FSG's vision for the club, Edwards appointed Ian Graham as Liverpool's director of research. Holder of a PhD in theoretical physics, Graham had developed a computer programme designed to add discriminative value to player performance statistics provided by companies such as ProZone.

When Rodgers, a scout or an agent suggested Liverpool sign a particular player, Edwards would have the player's numbers run through the Graham model. If the computer said no, the deal was off.

When Red Bull Salzburg were looking for a buyer for Sadio Mane in the summer, Liverpool were one of the clubs approached. Graham's analysis indicated the Senegal international wasn't good enough.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2296954-inside-line-liverpools-transfer-committee-has-been-a-spectacular-failure

« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2016 10:32:00 am by bad boy bubby »
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,200 posts | 836 
      Reply #502: Jun 27, 2016 10:41:17 am
      Why couldn't we fork out 30m for Teixera who is a better player than Mane?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #503: Jun 27, 2016 10:44:56 am

Based on what?

Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,200 posts | 836 
      Reply #504: Jun 27, 2016 10:52:02 am

I'm not sure anymore, I'm just underwhelmed with this signing.

bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #505: Jun 27, 2016 10:58:30 am

Teixeira was £39 million for a start but believe what you want for the sake of a moan.

Quick Reply