Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      3 (4.7%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      0 (0%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      5 (7.8%)
      Dejan Lovren
      8 (12.5%)
      James Milner
      3 (4.7%)
      Jordan Henderson
      5 (7.8%)
      Adam Lallana
      6 (9.4%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (1.6%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      2 (3.1%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      9 (14.1%)
      Divock Origi
      2 (3.1%)
      Alberto Moreno
      6 (9.4%)
      Marko Grujic
      14 (21.9%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Voting closed: Aug 24, 2016 05:06:57 pm

Burnley 2-0 Liverpool: In game and post match debate

Read 34337 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Re: Burnley 2-0 Liverpool: In game and post match debate
      Reply #575: Aug 20, 2016 08:19:31 pm
      I saw the tweet myself. On his twitter account. Not a picture. He must have deleted it in the last few hours. Either way it's got nothing to do with the game so I'm not arsed.
      Exactly, let's get over ourselves and focus our ire where it belongs, on this s**t performance.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #576: Aug 20, 2016 08:21:26 pm
      I read a while back that Klopp was looking to adopt the 4-3-3 (as opposed to his default 4-2-3-1) knowing that many teams in England would be happy to concede possession, defend deep, and play long-ball counter attacking footie.  Against this type of opposition, gegenpressing won't work and we will have to make better use of our possession play to create goal scoring opportunities.  It's all well and good to recognize this, but the tactics, team selection, and application were poor today and Jürgen deserves his share of blame for that. 

All of our play was through the middle, and against a team that defends the depth and width of the 18 yard box we are always going to struggle if we can't establish a threat from wider areas.  The absence of Mane was probably detrimental.  Our best crosser (Milner) was stuck at LB and had to check inside anytime he wanted to cross the ball.  The only dangerous ball we had from a wide area was the time Firmino whipped a ball across the face of the 6 yard line, but he was our #9 and there was no one in the box to attack the ball. 

Of our starters, only Lovren comes away with reason for any praise.  Of the subs, only Grujic and Origi. 

We have the talent and ability to throttle teams like Burnley -- hopefully Klopp learns something from this match and gets the selection and tactics right next time....

Poor day at the office lads.  Dust yourselves down and start preparing for next week.  YNWA
      Wait so Milner was "stuck" at LB? Why would that be if Klopp rates Moreno so highly as you've often suggested? :lmao:
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #577: Aug 20, 2016 08:28:37 pm
      For anyone who hasn't seen the stats:

Possession: 81% Liverpool.

Shots: 26 Liverpool - 3 Burnley

On Target: 5 Liverpool - 2 Burnley

Corners: 12 Liverpool - 1 Burnley

Fouls : 5 Liverpool - 14 Burnley

Modern Football is all about high goalscoring probability chances (shots on target and goalscoring probable with over 50%) and Liverpool had basically none and even if we take the next best thing 'shots on target' we count...5! FIVE shots on the goal in 90 min, with 80% possession? Are u kidding me? This game is just an eye-opener and after getting 5 goals in two games it's safe to say that this season will be a long one.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #578: Aug 20, 2016 08:28:55 pm
      this isn't the second game of the season though is it . it is the 24th year of the EPl and the 6th year of FSG and the continuation of the same sh*t from Brendans tenure and now Jurgens tenure. Something is a miss we have everything but the skill to win a game dirty or to keep hold of a lead which is pretty fundamental to winning anything. When we play Milner at Left back because we cant find another one on the planet who is better then the storyline of dumbing down expectations may need to be taken more seriously.
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts | 59 
      Reply #579: Aug 20, 2016 08:38:24 pm
      A leader on the park IMHO would help bundles ,just sayin
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #580: Aug 20, 2016 08:42:11 pm
      last 7 league games won 3 drawn 2 lost 2. the two losses Swansea and Burnley.  11 points from 21 available still almost 2 points per game then but to win the league we should be looking at at least 4 more points from Burnley and Swansea. we also had WBA and Watford in those games so not exactly difficult points won.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #581: Aug 20, 2016 09:01:08 pm
      Well that was super duper sh*t. No excuses, F**k off with that. Piss off with 'it's early days'. And piss off with 'it's the second game of the season' Oh and you can piss off we 'we didn't have mane' too.

This is F***ing burnley were talking about. Burnley for fucks sake.

We lost today because we're a team of bottlers. It's that simple. We don't have one player in our squad who is prepared to roll his sleeves up, lead by example and grab the game by the scruff of the neck. Look at the state of our F***ing captain. Jordan Henderson captains our club. It's a F***ing joke. It's a bigger joke you actually get a large section of our fans trying to claim he's decent too!

We also lost today because we can't break teams down who sit behind the ball. We don't have the quality to do it. This has been a problem for years now.

The reason we're a team of bottlers and can't unlock those defences because FSG refuse to sign players of top quality and/or leaders.  Those type of players come at a price.

Today was nothing new. It's what we're used to now. This isn't a F***ing knee jerk either, we will see a sh*t load of games like today this season.

Piss F***ing poor.
      Nox
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 351 posts | 21 
      Reply #582: Aug 20, 2016 09:02:52 pm
      This is kind of sidetrack but I think overall this set of 2 games represents our team well.

This type of result is not surprising and actually seems reasonable somehow when it shouldn't be. We are a 6-9 club and sure we can have quality games where everything goes in but never the consistency. To get top 4 we need to get consistent results and build on it. And losing is just too crushing, have to at least get a draw no matter what. Can we do it though? We would need players who don't even need to be at the top of the game but can do their jobs day in and day out and put in the effort. Thing I liked about Suarez was he was ALWAYS HUNGRY even where we were winning. That is the type of player we need, people who want to get out there and chase it. This kind of attitude also affects the team positively.

Do we have those players now? Sturridge is great but he is the opposite of consistency. The Brazilian boys can play but we definitely need a better plan against low ranked teams, we know how they play against us, it should be textbook by now. If we could get a central defense partnership going for 2 years + that would be sick but they don't give me that kind of image. So it sounds like we need work and are in need of another one of those "transition" seasons. But it needs to actually transition into something constructive instead of another directionless season.

We need to realize that instant satisfaction wont happen The manager needs time to get players he deems can be consistent and composed enough to pull in the steady results, attract stars and win titles. If we are 6-9th again, honestly it would seem normal. We don't have the personnel right now to keep up at the top when majority of the teams play stifling tactics against us. Just like losing 20 pounds in a week, its not going to happen quickly, it is going to take a while to keep it off for good. For us to be a top 4 team year in year out its the same thing. So sit back and hope Klopp is still here in 5 years. Its going to be a long ride.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #583: Aug 20, 2016 09:07:20 pm
      So sad with that result-enough said.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,292 posts | 1664 
      Reply #584: Aug 20, 2016 09:09:51 pm
      Did Sturridge play wide and Firminho in middle please someone say I have heard wrong
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #585: Aug 20, 2016 09:12:06 pm
      just seen their second goal and it was awful the defending like 11 year olds all over the place.
      LazyFingers
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 892 posts | 22 
      Reply #586: Aug 20, 2016 09:17:23 pm
      This is kind of sidetrack but I think overall this set of 2 games represents our team well.

This type of result is not surprising and actually seems reasonable somehow when it shouldn't be. We are a 6-9 club and sure we can have quality games where everything goes in but never the consistency. To get top 4 we need to get consistent results and build on it. And losing is just too crushing, have to at least get a draw no matter what. Can we do it though? We would need players who don't even need to be at the top of the game but can do their jobs day in and day out and put in the effort. Thing I liked about Suarez was he was ALWAYS HUNGRY even where we were winning. That is the type of player we need, people who want to get out there and chase it. This kind of attitude also affects the team positively.

Do we have those players now? Sturridge is great but he is the opposite of consistency. The Brazilian boys can play but we definitely need a better plan against low ranked teams, we know how they play against us, it should be textbook by now. If we could get a central defense partnership going for 2 years + that would be sick but they don't give me that kind of image. So it sounds like we need work and are in need of another one of those "transition" seasons. But it needs to actually transition into something constructive instead of another directionless season.

We need to realize that instant satisfaction wont happen The manager needs time to get players he deems can be consistent and composed enough to pull in the steady results, attract stars and win titles. If we are 6-9th again, honestly it would seem normal. We don't have the personnel right now to keep up at the top when majority of the teams play stifling tactics against us. Just like losing 20 pounds in a week, its not going to happen quickly, it is going to take a while to keep it off for good. For us to be a top 4 team year in year out its the same thing. So sit back and hope Klopp is still here in 5 years. Its going to be a long ride.

Ah man it's just heartbreaking for us.  Team sits and we're fu**ed. I just hate it.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6947 
      Reply #587: Aug 20, 2016 09:21:08 pm
      The reason we're a team of bottlers and can't unlock those defences because FSG refuse to sign players of top quality and/or leaders.  Those type of players come at a price.

Disagree with some of your post but this I do agree with this.  Jordan Henderson is the club captain. Given the history of leaders we have had that sums up a lack of leaders in our team.

Yes we've got many exciting players who when they fancy it can put in amazing performances but we definitely lack mentally tough characters.

Likes of Sturridge/Firmino are not the people for when the going gets tough.
      harrydunn08

• 5,921 posts | 964 
      Reply #588: Aug 20, 2016 09:51:07 pm
      Wait so Milner was "stuck" at LB? Why would that be if Klopp rates Moreno so highly as you've often suggested? :lmao:

Read the 1st page of this thread mate.  I admitted I was wrong ;)

And yes, Milner was stuck at LB and was every bit as poor as Moreno was last week -- more reliable defensively, but utterly useless going forward....
      Tadders

• 6,787 posts | 573 
      Reply #589: Aug 20, 2016 10:03:16 pm
      At the heart of this problem is conceding 5 goals in two games. We need to fix that first and foremost.

We have the worst defence in the league
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #590: Aug 20, 2016 10:04:19 pm
      just suffered watching this on SKY. It was insipid stuff these highly paid individuals all wanting someone else to take responsibility .
      Do we know call this Jurgens squad because if he has funds and does not spend then he must be happy with the squad. Even now watching this with a few minutes left they all look like they have given up.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,551 posts | 726 
      Reply #591: Aug 20, 2016 10:06:22 pm
      Did Sturridge play wide and Firminho in middle please someone say I have heard wrong

Sturridge played wide right
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #592: Aug 20, 2016 10:11:55 pm
      Well that was super duper sh*t. No excuses, f**k off with that. Piss off with 'it's early days'. And piss off with 'it's the second game of the season' Oh and you can piss off we 'we didn't have mane' too.

This is f**king burnley were talking about. Burnley for fucks sake.

We lost today because we're a team of bottlers. It's that simple. We don't have one player in our squad who is prepared to roll his sleeves up, lead by example and grab the game by the scruff of the neck. Look at the state of our f**king captain. Jordan Henderson captains our club. It's a f**king joke. It's a bigger joke you actually get a large section of our fans trying to claim he's decent too!

We also lost today because we can't break teams down who sit behind the ball. We don't have the quality to do it. This has been a problem for years now.

Today was nothing new. It's what we're used to now. This isn't a f**king knee jerk either, we will see a sh*t load of games like today this season.

Piss f**king poor.

THIS. we are Liverpool and this is F***ing burnley, we should hammer them and damn right we should be arrogant coming up against this sh*te.

Liverpool football club. Start playing and acting like the F***ing club we are.
      Tadders

• 6,787 posts | 573 
      Reply #593: Aug 20, 2016 10:15:30 pm
      Every cloud;

i am so glad I don't have the worry now of us being a team that could challenge this year.

I dread Watford, palace, hull away
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #594: Aug 20, 2016 10:17:10 pm
      Grujic was looking good in pre-season, don't know why he has been on the bench for the start of the past 2 games. Can too who seemed to be one of Klopp's favorites. Not too sure what Hendo is bringing to the team, he's far from a leader and I know he's had that heel injury which is by all accounts a bit of a nightmare problem to have from what I have heard but even before then, games just seem to pass him by and we always seem to look better off without him.
      rossyred

• 9,292 posts | 1664 
      Reply #595: Aug 20, 2016 10:19:45 pm
      Just don't get it he has to play through middle and Couts just behind everyone else can fight for left side just don't see in Firminho what most do and when Sturridge played wide in Euros equally ineffective
      rossyred

• 9,292 posts | 1664 
      Reply #596: Aug 20, 2016 10:22:46 pm
      How many were played out of position today?

Sturrigde Right midfield.
      Milner Left back.
      Firmino Centre Forward?
      Henderson Defensive Midfield?
      Wijnaldum CM?

Honestly whos fault are these?
      If Coutinho left then add him
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #597: Aug 20, 2016 10:29:15 pm
      last 7 league games won 3 drawn 2 lost 2. the two losses Swansea and Burnley.  11 points from 21 available still almost 2 points per game then but to win the league we should be looking at at least 4 more points from Burnley and Swansea. we also had WBA and Watford in those games so not exactly difficult points won.

It's football. sh*t does and will happen. Despite all the sciences involved these days, football is not a science. IMO we have a great manager with a decent squad that could be better in places. Come end of the season, we'll have won more than we lose and I'm expecting a decent challenge. Maybe I'm optimistic but that's how I see it.

Quick Reply