Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Chelsea?

Simon Mignolet
      0 (0%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      1 (0.6%)
      Dejan Lovren
      15 (9.1%)
      Joel Matip
      28 (17%)
      James Milner
      1 (0.6%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      10 (6.1%)
      Jordan Henderson
      97 (58.8%)
      Adam Lallana
      8 (4.8%)
      Sadio Mane
      3 (1.8%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      1 (0.6%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      1 (0.6%)
      Lucas Leiva
      0 (0%)
      Kevin Stewart
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 159

Voting closed: Sep 20, 2016 10:02:43 pm

Chelsea 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 35854 times
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Re: Chelsea 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #575: Sep 17, 2016 07:18:19 am
      What the f**k is that man of the match prize they give to Hendo then? Looked like a box of aftershave or something

Nivea for men?
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #576: Sep 17, 2016 07:20:22 am
      Chelsea tried the old park the bus routine, and got the first time we found a way to get past it. It was always going to be a nervy second half, but we recovered well after conceding our customary sloppy goal.
      Winaldums best game in a Red shirt so far, probably Hendersons best for a long time.
      Mane wasn't his usual attacking threat, but worked his as off all night, as did Lallana, Milner and Clyne. Matip is starting to show why Klopp signed him, he's definitely getting used to the Premier league.
      All in all a good performance and a very important 3 points.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #577: Sep 17, 2016 07:35:11 am
      Super WIN with a super performance , by the all team especially 1st half ,
       they just did not give a break to the chvs with there pressing and fast attacks and passing and they(the chavs) did not have a shot on target
      2nd half was a bit different which was expected, apart from the goal and a costa chance saved by simon,we kept them away from mignolet,  we had our chances to for the 3rd goal too,
                              to be honest after their goal I said ,here we go we are going to give in, as many times we did... BUT NO we reacted to their goal and held strong , Matip and Lovren ,like Wijnaldum and hendo are starting to look a solid partnership in defence and midfield respectively
      it was difficult to pick (which is great to have ) but gave Hendo MOTM
      YNWA

clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,697 posts | 3714 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #578: Sep 17, 2016 07:41:01 am
      I watched only the second half and we managed it well even when they had some intensity. After their goal, I thought we might lose our play but they weren't afraid anymore. I really wished that I saw the first half because the forum and the media went into meltdown with our first half.

Keep it going Reds.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #579: Sep 17, 2016 07:46:50 am
      Lallana, Wijnaldum and Hendo dominated the game yesterday. Everyone was good. Unfortunately the one mistake made was paid cash. 

Special mention to Hendo for the goal, still a lot of work to do though. We should have killed this game and COULD have done it. But I'm more than happy, we won.

My only question is: why our strikers do not seem to benefit our domination?
      DanMann

• 5,758 posts | 884 
      Reply #580: Sep 17, 2016 09:31:53 am
      Biggest laugh of the night?

Victor Moses coming on when in search of a goal!  :lmao:

Played well mate. Good for us that those subs were made with no time to make an impact.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,383 posts | 2823 
      Reply #581: Sep 17, 2016 09:47:59 am
      Superb win that.

Absolutely dominant in the first half, maybe we didn't quite turn our dominance into enough clear cut chances but it was still awesome to watch.

What impressed me most though was the response to Costa's goal. No panicking, we just calmed ourselves down and got back on the ball and they didn't really create much at all. If Origi had scored that header it would really have been the perfect response to conceding. Still very impressive nonetheless, as I feel a few months ago we probably would have conceded again and dropped points.

Absolutely buzzing for the games ahead now!
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #582: Sep 17, 2016 09:48:13 am
      Love enjoying a win against the so called better teams but go and beat Hull in the next league game and this gets a hell of a lot better. Nine times out of ten I'm confident against the likes of Chelsea et al. I want to get excited about our title prospects but will hold out to see how we get on against Hull at Anfield and then at Swansea. For me, those are the best type of games to gauge how far we've come.

Great win but in my head the game is in a little package with the next two.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,433 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #583: Sep 17, 2016 09:51:13 am
      Speaking of Tuesday, I wouldn't be bothered if Jürgen made 11 changes in the team for Derby County. We are off to a good start in the league and there enough players in the squad, even this reduced squad, that could benefit from a match just now. It would help ensure our first choice players at fresh for Hull City.

Tuesday he could go with: Karius, Alexander-Arnold, Moreno, Klavan, Lucas, Stewart, Can, Grujic, Ojo, Ings, Origi.

should go as strong as possible, want to keep winning and a trophy to go with it
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,517 posts | 1508 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #584: Sep 17, 2016 09:54:02 am
      Encouraging to see Ejaria on the bench too
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #585: Sep 17, 2016 10:04:38 am
      I get where you are coming from but it's the fact that we beat Chelsea on their turf and Hendo was in my eyes MOTM and you come out all guns picking holes in our captain. Doesn't make sense if you had just watched the same game everyone else on here had.
      I was not "picking holes in our captain" In fact i thought that the main players that I have heavily criticized in the pass, (Lovern,Milner,Lallana and Henderson) were amongst the best players on the park for us and found myself in the position of awarding Henderson my MOTM
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #586: Sep 17, 2016 10:09:56 am
      Just over 60 seconds later

Argues for debate on one hand and offers childish animadversion on the other. I think we all know the real you without you needing to put it in your username.

:f_doh:
      This from someone who starts a debate with...

childish??  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #587: Sep 17, 2016 10:12:31 am
      Try and watch the first half Clint, you'll love it. The best word to describe it would be fluid, the rotation between the forward 6/7 players was a beauty to behold at times.

Agree.   I was concerned that we wouldnt have the fluidity  without Bobby . It didnt matter.  The lads were awesome and players I had shelved came into their own ie Henderson. 
      His shot on this occasion didnt go into the stand   
      It was perfection and Courtois aint no midget.

Thought Matip owned Costa. Hes not going to come up against any more formidable this season save for Aguero or Ibra  and on this showing that position is covered.
      Clyne was tireless.
      Lallana is certainly on a roll with his form.

I wasn't hiding behind the sofa with Migs but yet again he passed the ball out from his goal area without the pace on it putting our player under pressure from two Chavs ..... it was something that Conte had spotted in Mig's game.

Mane I watched on You Tube when it was announced we were buying him and he was awesome.
      I posted it that he was going to be worth every penny.
      Its his speed ,change of direction and pace that is hypnotic.

Coutinho had a couple of amazing runs.

What have we got ?   
      It is looking like consistency ..... and if the results against the Arse , Leicester , Tottenham and now Chavs are examined then something special is going on.

The Red Army marches on.

Next please ........ ;D

« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2016 08:30:03 pm by MIRO »
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #588: Sep 17, 2016 10:12:36 am
      Played well mate. Good for us that those subs were made with no time to make an impact.

Oh Jesus Christ, give it a F***ing rest please! What is it with yo and victor bloody Moses!!
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #589: Sep 17, 2016 10:15:33 am
      Speaking of Tuesday, I wouldn't be bothered if Jürgen made 11 changes in the team for Derby County. We are off to a good start in the league and there enough players in the squad, even this reduced squad, that could benefit from a match just now. It would help ensure our first choice players at fresh for Hull City.

Tuesday he could go with: Karius, Alexander-Arnold, Moreno, Klavan, Lucas, Stewart, Can, Grujic, Ojo, Ings, Origi.

I be surprised if Ejaria didn't start mate.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #590: Sep 17, 2016 10:16:56 am
      After the way we played at Arsenal,Spurs and Chelsea maybe we should play all our away games in the smoke.It's looking good for Wembley this season,
       I have watched the goals against Chelsea several times and looking at the Henderson goal he reminded me of Stevie Gerrard.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #591: Sep 17, 2016 10:17:33 am
      Looking forward to watching it in full before I place my vote, only caught about 75 minutes, as I was at work for the first half which I saw most of, managed my commute home at half time, but missed a bigger chunk of the second half. A couple of things I really want to double check, to make sure I did see them and a few performances worthy of MotM votes.

I wasn't confident before the game, the loss of Firmino further dampened my expectations when coupled with Conte's impressive home record. I needn't have been so concerned, we dominated what I saw of the first half and weathered their pressure in the second. A couple of things I will take away, like I did from the last game, is Mignolet, whilst still not being great, has shown less hesitation and whether that's from training or pressure from the bench, it's a good thing and, also, we talk more as a team now, from seeing games last season or even further back, when you only had Lucas and/or Toure cajoling and coordinating, seeing them work as units up and down the pitch is really rather pleasing.

Is she the blonde on Sky right now?

Gave me motivation to knock one out. I needed a release after an intense first half.

A five little 'uns round one big 'un joke in there that I don't want to touch.

Strangely, I prefer Suzy Dent.

Certainly not alone in that (won't make Dicktionary Corner joke), really good interview with her if you listen to Richard Herring's Leicester Square Podcast, but only if you like Herring's comedy stylings. Edit: Just found out it's on youtube as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwf0GUUcZJU

bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #592: Sep 17, 2016 10:18:34 am
      Oh Jesus Christ, give it a f**king rest please! What is it with yo and victor bloody Moses!!

He wants Moses to part his Red Sea.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,449 posts | 4584 
      Reply #593: Sep 17, 2016 10:24:18 am
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #594: Sep 17, 2016 10:27:21 am
      This was in a way a strange game for me...  Felt that Liverpool would win the match (predicted 3-1) but still found myself disappointed (not worried) when Chelsea scored, such was our dominance first half I was hoping for a 3-0/4-0 victory... Hope to see the same level of performance on the 17th Oct against the Mancs...

Matip is growing into the team quite well and he and Lovern are becoming a stable partnership, Milner adds stability to the LB position but lacks the speed needed... Please overall with the performance...

Worry...Sturrigde again the signs of frailty are showing...
      « Last Edit: Sep 17, 2016 02:32:49 pm by The Real Donavan Ried »
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #595: Sep 17, 2016 10:45:34 am
      Not even being in the office this morning could take the shine off that last night. What a F***ing win.

I said it to my Chelsea mate (forgive me..) who I watched it with, I've never seen Chelsea be so completely dominated at home in one half. It was absolutely brilliant and at times we were embarrassing them with our movement, passing and ability to win the ball back.

Aside from a tough spell between 45-55 minutes (or around then, can't quite remember right) I thought we were in complete control. They had a great chance after Costa scored, Migs made a decent save but otherwise we managed to blunt them quite effectively in the second. Unfortunately the fact we couldn't get a third meant the last few minutes were a bit tense, but I still don't remember a real heart in mouth moment at the back, we defended well and the substitutes each gave us something. Origi provided a good outlet and ran well and Lucas solidified that space in front of our back four.

Overall all round it was a simply fantastic performance, far more comfortable than 1-2 suggests and our play in that first half at times was scintillating. Everyone was great but Lovren, Henderson and Lallana were outstanding, Wjnaldum had by far his best game for us so far and Matip was mostly solid throughout.

Klopp has now lost only 2 of 14 games against Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham, City and United (the loss to United and penalty loss in the Carling Cup to City) and that includes convincing wins at the Etihad, Emirates and now Stamford Bridge. I don't think I've ever been as confident in the big games since Rafa and the heady days of 4-1 victories at the old toilet.

Things have been taking shape off the pitch for a while, especially over the summer with the addition of the Bayern fitness coach Kornmayer (sp??) and last season there were some promising signs. Now you're starting to get a sense of the style taking hold on these players, and you can already see signs of a team gelling together in a system. Players are starting to know where their teammates will be on the pitch and that has clearly come from constant repetition of pass and move drills on the training pitch.

There's still a long way to go, and the obvious negative is the Burnley game which displayed a dramatic lack of consistency, but we'll have a few of those along the way, that's football. With every passing week I firmly believe we are witnessing something pretty special here, and although success is a long way away we have a manager who knows how to achieve it and is instilling that belief in his players.

Also, special mention to Marko Grujic's face after Hendo's screamer. I was as surprised as he was!!! :D :D
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #596: Sep 17, 2016 10:45:46 am
      Morning Reds.

Found this...

https://twitter.com/eazyy23/status/776908332690989056

What is this? Thank goodness we don't have this crass attitude, it's like a the opening of a rock concert, the only problem, is unlike a rehearsed, scripted performance, a live football game can go tits up.
      How can the home team compete with that!.... They didn't.

Hats off to the travelling Kop, just carrying on, and ignoring and out performing this new money attitude. Great result last night, both on and off the pitch.

It's a shame about the Burnley result, but it may have been the kick up the arse, and reminder needed to keep focused.
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #597: Sep 17, 2016 11:20:54 am
      What a quality win! The burnley result aside we are looking like a proper side this season and we're only just hitting our stride.

I thought Matip and Lovren were class last night.

Some of our build up play and first time passing in the final third was frightening, you can tell Klopp has been working on that with them and maybe that will be the key to unlocking the defence's when teams play with 11 men behind the ball which is obviously where we fell down last time.

Milner is looking more and more comfortable at left back, he made some amazing challenges yesterday. If it wasn't James Milner and it was a new foreign left back we had signed then people would be creaming over him. Master stroke by Klopp in my eyes!

Henderson needs to build on yesterday with some more consistent performances but he was pretty faultless yesterday and what a f**king goal.

Wijnaldum is starting to settle now and a lot of the build up went through him which was good. Lallana is in fine form as well.

Only negative for me was Sturridge. I think he looks well off the pace. he's always involved but he doesn't look like the player he was a few seasons ago. He is so left footed as well it pisses me off. Won't be surprised to see him dropped for Firmino when everyone is fit.

Quality win, exciting times!

Quick Reply