Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Man U?

Loris Karius
      1 (0.8%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      2 (1.6%)
      Joel Matip
      26 (21%)
      Dejan Lovren
      5 (4%)
      James Milner
      26 (21%)
      Jordan Henderson
      10 (8.1%)
      Emre Can
      0 (0%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      33 (26.6%)
      Roberto Firmino
      8 (6.5%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      1 (0.8%)
      Alberto Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Adam Lallana
      12 (9.7%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 120

Voting closed: Oct 21, 2016 09:53:29 pm

Liverpool 0-0 Manchester United: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 39138 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Re: Liverpool 0-0 Manchester United: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #621: Oct 18, 2016 02:06:01 pm
      Have to give mention to the ref Taylor last night who I thought had a very poor game.

It was a very astute tactical choice by the authorities to have him oversee our game, and he worked hand in hand with Mourinho to ensure that we could never get going with our flowing attacking football. Every time we went forward we were fouled, and time after time, Taylor would just give a verbal warning. I recall on two occasions I really thought he must have given a yellow (such was the nature of the foul, consistency of the fouler, and the way the individual was spoken to) but no, just a warning.

Ibra could have had 3 yellow cards, but ended up with just 1. Rashford could have had a yellow in the first few minutes.

The ref basically sat back and allowed Man Utd to break up our player, and with his reluctance to show the cards, he enabled the players to each make 3 or 4 fouls before they would have to worry. Perfect for Mourinho.

As for that "foul" that Coutinho was pulled up for in the Utd box just as he turned in the direction of the goal.. absolutely ridiculous. If anything, Coutinho had been fouled.

What of Can? On his shot, replays show Smalling was clearly pulling at his shirt, and prior to that some Utd play had kicked at his ankle. Possibly 2 penalty shouts not given.. and the ref came out of this with no-one asking questions.

These ''Altrincham supporters'' are real cu*ts.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #622: Oct 18, 2016 02:09:37 pm
      Have to give mention to the ref Taylor last night who I thought had a very poor game.

It was a very astute tactical choice by the authorities to have him oversee our game, and he worked hand in hand with Mourinho to ensure that we could never get going with our flowing attacking football. Every time we went forward we were fouled, and time after time, Taylor would just give a verbal warning. I recall on two occasions I really thought he must have given a yellow (such was the nature of the foul, consistency of the fouler, and the way the individual was spoken to) but no, just a warning.

Ibra could have had 3 yellow cards, but ended up with just 1. Rashford could have had a yellow in the first few minutes.

The ref basically sat back and allowed Man Utd to break up our player, and with his reluctance to show the cards, he enabled the players to each make 3 or 4 fouls before they would have to worry. Perfect for Mourinho.

As for that "foul" that Coutinho was pulled up for in the Utd box just as he turned in the direction of the goal.. absolutely ridiculous. If anything, Coutinho had been fouled.

What of Can? On his shot, replays show Smalling was clearly pulling at his shirt, and prior to that some Utd play had kicked at his ankle. Possibly 2 penalty shouts not given.. and the ref came out of this with no-one asking questions.

You can guarantee he went into that match thinking he was going to 'manage' the game, which loosely translated means he was not going to get his cards out unless he absolutely had to.

Can't stand refs who do that, play the F***ing rules you c**t. Why should our game plan be impacted by the ref? If he had the balls to book their lot for the repeated fouling then it would have made them think twice before sticking the boot in.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #623: Oct 18, 2016 02:24:29 pm
      Imagine the panic, wailing and moaning when their match-saver puts in a transfer request.
      De Gea surely will when RM or Barca come knocking.
      They are watching and biding their time to prise him away from the mid-table has-beens.

Mourinho is the exact opposite of a manager who inspires loyalty, for that matter so is the club. 
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #624: Oct 18, 2016 02:43:13 pm
      Imagine the panic, wailing and moaning when their match-saver puts in a transfer request.
      De Gea surely will when RM or Barca come knocking.
      They are watching and biding their time to prise him away from the mid-table has-beens.

Mourinho is the exact opposite of a manager who inspires loyalty, for that matter so is the club. 

Barca seem happy with Ter Stegen and Real are banned from making transfers for the next 2 windows. He will have a bit of a wait.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #625: Oct 18, 2016 03:03:32 pm
      Barca seem happy with Ter Stegen and Real are banned from making transfers for the next 2 windows. He will have a bit of a wait.

You have just explained why De Gea is still with the mid-table club.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #626: Oct 18, 2016 03:27:25 pm
      You have just explained why De Gea is still with the mid-table club.

Now known as the M.T.C.

Hold the front page !

Another stat for Maureen to be proud of.

14 points from his first 8 games.   
      Lowest start total for 15 years.
      and ...

This time last year LVG was top.

Didn't TPM and Moaninho work together ?
      Ah well.
      Like follows like.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #627: Oct 18, 2016 03:30:35 pm

Hahaha got a ring to it that Skip - Manchester M.T.C.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #628: Oct 18, 2016 03:43:02 pm
      Hahaha got a ring to it that Skip - Manchester M.T.C.

;D    Thought you would like it .

The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #629: Oct 18, 2016 03:52:12 pm
      I have not read any of the post here yet... Just wanted to say that it was a disappointing result, but no less than what I expected, especially the way Jose Mourinho sets out his teams... We still struggle to break down teams, although some of our results say other wise,but against team who set back and defend we struggle... Not looking forward to teams like WBA... Still it was a point, and City,Arsenal,Spur, (and of course Man Utd) did no better 
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Re: LIVE: Liverpool V Man Utd
      Reply #630: Oct 18, 2016 04:01:24 pm
      All in all, pretty sloppy

Henderson is not a forward thinking player, Can looks too immobile for our system, I think Studge will be sold in the summer, and Karius is not the answer to our goalkeeping problems.

Even though we missed Lallana and Wijnaldum, I think we bottled it tonight. We looked a bit edgy apart from 20 minutes in the second half.

2 points dropped but moving in the right direction

EDIT: That said, we've picked up 8 points from Utd, Spurs away, Chelsea away and Arsenal away
      Not sure I would agree withe the Can immobility thing but other than that I pretty much agree with everything else that you wrote
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #631: Oct 18, 2016 04:20:39 pm
      People's comments on Karius are f**king hilarious. I guess you've got to bi*ch about something considering we didn't lose.
      I think they are right especially at the moment about Karius, he does not look all that... BUT Neither did de Gea when he first joined Man Utd, But look at him now... If Karius turn out the same I'll be happy
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #632: Oct 18, 2016 04:43:30 pm
      Everyone on Twitter mocking Man Utd, but I think was a missed opportunity. Very frustrating.

I don't think Mourinho outwitted us at all, we just weren't at the races in the first half. I didn't think they'd score in the first half despite them looking more comfortable, but Sturridge being absolutely AWOL and Can turning in midfield like an oil tanker made us look horrifically and uncharacteristcally disjointed.

They were bad in that first half but if we played like we did against a better team, we would have been losing. Second half began to pick up and the players started to click into gear with Lallana proving to be that spark of inspiration - but it was a slow ascendency but too slow. If a game had lasted more than 90 minutes we'd have won!

I'd like to think it was just lack of match sharpness from Can (seemed that way as he grew into the game as it wore on) but even at full fitness, he's not replacing Wijnaldum any time soon. Sturridge I'm really not so sure about. These games demand the full effort of all on the pitch and Sturridge's no-show caused a huge imbalance to our attack. Far too absent, and just like we criticised Benteke last season, only ever came deep for the ball. That may be a prerequisite for all attackers but he didn't ever deep to actually press.

Ings and Origi may not have match fitness at the minute but I think it's high time we started priming them for such games - their running and pressing abilities seem more suited to our pressing interplay and I believe they could very well fit this system a lot better than Sturridge. If Lallana and Wijnaldum had been fit, there's a high chance we'd have won, I certainly think we'd have dominated at least. Can has to sharpen up fast while I'm not quite sure what to think of Sturridge in these types of games. Just like we saw against Burnley and United who played deep, he didn't offer any encouragement by showing he could unlock these parked buses.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #633: Oct 18, 2016 04:48:12 pm
      Quote from Robby The Z
      Man U came out to bore us to death and they did alright about that.

Looking forward to a real game of football Saturday against West Brom....

A what?

If Mourinho wants to go and get a point, he has the resources with the discipline to go and get it. And we'd be delighted if it was us that went to a major rival and got a point. We still consider the point at Spurs a "great result". Just as we did one year ago to the very date.

Yet again he came here and set us a fairly basic task, break his bus down, and yet again we failed at it. We know what's coming, we had the past two weeks to find a solution, and still couldn't.

As for us, while we wanted more, it's not a bad result. But we have to do it all over again at the weekend. It's exactly the same challenge, break down the Pulis bus. We couldn't do it at Burnley, we couldn't do it tonight, let's hope it's third time lucky. We're going to have to at some point, otherwise it'll be another frustrating season.
      fckmediocrity
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 213 
      Reply #634: Oct 18, 2016 04:48:56 pm
      I think they are right especially at the moment about Karius, he does not look all that... BUT Neither did de Gea when he first joined Man Utd, But look at him now... If Karius turn out the same I'll be happy

Why people keep comparing him with De Gea I will never understand;for every De Gea that had a shaky start in England but turned world class there is a Mignolet that had the same start(at Liverpool) but turned average,yet I don`t see nobody pointing this out.
      He made mistakes and people are frustrated because they`ve seen the same sh*t with Mignolet and are tired of it;nobody is calling his head,good news he has time and managers trust to improve on them.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,298 posts | 765 
      Reply #635: Oct 18, 2016 05:30:35 pm
      Disappointing game probably stating the obvious. Thought the ball had gone in, with the shot from Coutinho, but a wonder save from De gea, saved Man United. Thought it was a poor performance from the Reds, especially in the first half. Too many soft fouls given spoilt the flow of the game.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,652 posts | 3920 
      Reply #636: Oct 18, 2016 05:31:25 pm
      Herrera:

74% pass completion
      Tackles made 7/15 (just over 50% tackle conversion)
      No shots
      No chances made

MOTM according to sky.

Good one.

To be fair, he was excellent
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #637: Oct 18, 2016 05:47:45 pm
      Poor game last night, both teams seemed to nullify each other, although we were very unlucky not to win it through Coutinho but for a world class save from De Gea. As many have said Sturridge looked very poor last night, I think Origi did more in the short time he was on the pitch than Sturridge did all night.

The introduction of Lallana made us look the better team, plus it also seemed to free up Mane and Firmino a bit more.

Motm for me was Milner, battled his arse off all night shackling Rashford and took an absolute battering from the mancs but kept on going until he was taken off.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #638: Oct 18, 2016 06:46:00 pm

Being excellent in that United performance is like being the least gammy leper in your village
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #639: Oct 18, 2016 08:30:57 pm

Gave it to Bobby myself. Ran, tackled, attacked. Did everything bar win us the game. Couldn't understand the Herrera decision...

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #640: Oct 18, 2016 09:42:04 pm
      Surprised nobodys mentioned the atmosphere. Sounded dire.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #641: Oct 18, 2016 09:48:58 pm

I was in work yesterday, so missed it all, got home at the final whistle. But I did see a photo of Liverpool 'fans' in the front row of the main stand, videoing or photographing maureen as he walked down the touch line, there is half the problem.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #642: Oct 18, 2016 09:53:51 pm

It was very flat, remember thinking that watching the game. Very disappointing, players didn't exactly inspire a great atmosphere but they shouldn't have to, place should have been rocking start to finish.
      DanMann

• 5,761 posts | 886 
      Reply #643: Oct 18, 2016 10:33:52 pm
      We still consider the point at Spurs a "great result". Just as we did one year ago to the very date.

That is relative, and in hindsight. We tried for the win, disappointed we didn't get it, but consider it a great point in the context of our fixtures. Likewise a year ago, that was Klopp's first game, and though we drew, we could already see through the performance how far this man would take us.

The difference is, Man Utd should be able to come at us and take home a win. They've done it enough times, and on enough times where they didn't deserve it. I think most of us before the game were anxious that our luck would be gone yet again, and Man Utd could get the 3 points.

As it is, Mourinho played for the draw. His whole plan was to stop us scoring. Sure enough, he got what he wanted, but most people can see the embarrassing nature of that 1 point. 35% possession says it all.

Quick Reply