Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Stoke?

Simon Mignolet
      2 (1.5%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      0 (0%)
      Dejan Lovren
      2 (1.5%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      3 (2.3%)
      James Milner
      7 (5.3%)
      Jordan Henderson
      37 (28.2%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      2 (1.5%)
      Adam Lallana
      54 (41.2%)
      Sadio Mane
      9 (6.9%)
      Roberto Firmino
      11 (8.4%)
      Divock Origi
      3 (2.3%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      1 (0.8%)
      Emre Can
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 126

Voting closed: Dec 31, 2016 07:09:32 pm

Liverpool 4-1 Stoke City: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 25363 times
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Re: Liverpool 4-1 Stoke City: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #414: Dec 27, 2016 08:49:31 pm
      Sticky start but a really good performance from the moment we scored. Lallana once again with the most important contribution with the equalising goal and for me Henderson was man of the match, he was busy all night, kept our passing game ticking over, marked, tracked and tackled. He has blossomed into a fine deep lying midfielder this year. A few have criticised Wjinaldum in this thread but for me the key to our strong season so far has been the balance of our midfield three, they all compliment eachother so well and a lot of Gigi's work goes un-noticed I think.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #415: Dec 27, 2016 08:52:18 pm
      Definitely wasn't motm for me, apart from the goal he was a pain in the bollocks.

They were talking about his work rate and how he was finding so many pockets throughout the game.

Will rewatch the game tonight and focus on Firmino :)
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #416: Dec 27, 2016 08:55:47 pm
      They were talking about his work rate and how he was finding so many pockets throughout the game.

Will rewatch the game tonight and focus on Firmino :)
      If it was work rate then Lallana won it hands down, strange decision from Carra .

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #417: Dec 27, 2016 08:58:46 pm
      Billy1 are you from the Shankly era?

Well before that,I first went to Anfield in 1947 and went in the original boys pen when it was in Kemlyn Road.Bob Paisley, Billy Liddell, Albert Stubbins were in the team that season.It used to cost an old tanner to get in the pen in those days.
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #418: Dec 27, 2016 09:10:06 pm

Studge's goal highlights what worries me about Origi. No way would Origi score that goal. Clever player Studge

That's very harsh. Benteke wouldn't score that, but Origi is just as likely to score as Sturridge. Remember his goal against Bournemouth just a few weeks ago, which is arguably much harder to score than Sturridge's goal today? Studge also missed a tap-in today, one that would easily scored by Origi given his recent performances.
      I like both of them and believe they each could contribute to our squad this season, so it's strange to see people feeling the need to bring one down to praise the other.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #419: Dec 27, 2016 09:49:30 pm
      Yeah it's always been classed as Cheshire mate,there was plans to unify it as part of the borough of Wirral in the early 70's,(the Wirral then being classed as Merseyside) but that was scrapped & it stayed as Cheshire.
      Davey hickson was also from there as was the god awful Russ abbot.

I feel more knowledge in me, soz man was listening to someone here.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #420: Dec 27, 2016 09:54:20 pm
      Sticky start but a really good performance from the moment we scored. Lallana once again with the most important contribution with the equalising goal and for me Henderson was man of the match, he was busy all night, kept our passing game ticking over, marked, tracked and tackled. He has blossomed into a fine deep lying midfielder this year. A few have criticised Wjinaldum in this thread but for me the key to our strong season so far has been the balance of our midfield three, they all compliment eachother so well and a lot of Gigi's work goes un-noticed I think.

Thought he did well tonight Gini, was good in close interplay and kept things moving, just falls down in and around the box where doesn't quite look like he thinks going to score, if/when adds that to his game will be big plus.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #421: Dec 27, 2016 09:55:14 pm
      Well before that,I first went to Anfield in 1947 and went in the original boys pen when it was in Kemlyn Road.Bob Paisley, Billy Liddell, Albert Stubbins were in the team that season.It used to cost an old tanner to get in the pen in those days.

Did you see Elisha Scott shouting at defenders?
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,515 posts | 1507 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #422: Dec 27, 2016 10:19:04 pm
      They used to be when Joe Mercer was their manager.
      Oh for a Joe Corrigan between our sticks!
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #423: Dec 27, 2016 10:19:10 pm
      Ugly first 20 minutes as expected with a few comedy sketches in defence, one of which could have quite easily have led
      to Jesus Joe slotting home their second.. that was the turning point in the game.

Much better second half. Should have been 6 or 7 but for some poor finishing.

3 points and still breathing fire down Chelsea's neck
      Thats what we all wanted and thats what we got..

Sets it all up nicely for Saturday.

nice one redmen

:scarf:
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #424: Dec 27, 2016 10:19:25 pm
      Ah my only Christmas present I wanted I got so thanks for the excitement you added everyone even when things got dodgy :) We won, my best gift.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,515 posts | 1507 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #425: Dec 27, 2016 10:21:16 pm
      That's very harsh. Benteke wouldn't score that, but Origi is just as likely to score as Sturridge. Remember his goal against Bournemouth just a few weeks ago, which is arguably much harder to score than Sturridge's goal today? Studge also missed a tap-in today, one that would easily scored by Origi given his recent performances.
      I like both of them and believe they each could contribute to our squad this season, so it's strange to see people feeling the need to bring one down to praise the other.
      I don't so much mean the actual shot, I'm more talking about reading the game, and making a run on the off chance something goes wrong. Main point is Studge made that run anticipating the back pass. I can't see Origi doing that. That said, he's still learning so there's time I guess.
      Jimsouse67

• 9,490 posts | 1478 
      Reply #426: Dec 27, 2016 10:28:03 pm
      Oh for a Joe Corrigan between our sticks!
      What a keeper he was for city besides clemo & Bruce I rated him,pat Jennings & the bitters very own southall very highly.
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #427: Dec 27, 2016 10:29:30 pm
      Great win that. During that first 20 minutes I thought we were in for a very long hard game, but that second half, wow what a response.

Could have hit 6 or 7 past them in the end, great stuff especially with Guardiola watching it.

His boys will get a beating next!
      scotscouse
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | 40 
      Reply #428: Dec 27, 2016 11:11:23 pm
      Another important win,considering we knew the others in the chase for title/top four finish all won,  so a wee bit pressure put on us .key points tonight simon saveing what would have made it two /nil and us scoring just before ht.I would have liked to have. seen young Woodburn come on  even for last 15  do not think he has featured since his goal against Leeds
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #429: Dec 27, 2016 11:17:17 pm
      Even when they scored, I never doubted the end result. We didn't just beat them, we broke Stoke. Their player looked bewildered, as they slowly seemed to realise we'd beaten them, before we even equalised. You could see it clearly, they knew they had to score again to take something from the game. Every attack they had was seemingly followed by a bombardment by us. Add to this that I still don't think we playing near our maximum potential, the future's looking good.

Disclaimer, the above is slightly alcohol influenced and may not reflect actual events.  :drinking: :food-smiley-005:
      « Last Edit: Dec 28, 2016 12:48:05 am by Roddenberry »
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #430: Dec 27, 2016 11:27:58 pm
      Going to u turn from earlier. We can win the league.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #431: Dec 27, 2016 11:50:12 pm
      I would have liked to have. seen young Woodburn come on  even for last 15  do not think he has featured since his goal against Leeds
      I hope we'll see him more for the league cup to get the bit of experience under his belt.

bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #432: Dec 27, 2016 11:57:59 pm
      Disclaimer, the above is slightly alcohol influenced and may not reflect actual events.
      You could be forgiven for any statements made Rodders ,looks like that pint of Guinness you're drinking has a bad head on it.

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #433: Dec 28, 2016 12:02:01 am
      Did you see Elisha Scott shouting at defenders?

Seeing as Elisha Scott retired in 1936 I did not have the good fortune to see him play.You being a Liverpool supporter should know that,or are you just being a smart arse.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,351 posts | 1629 
      Reply #434: Dec 28, 2016 12:09:32 am
      Oh fck billy you old tw*t how dare you have an opinion
                     Lovse youooo

MsGerrard
      Reply #435: Dec 28, 2016 12:10:21 am
      Loved being at Anfield today, there was a really good party atmosphere in the second half after we'd gone 3-1 up and the Kop came out with all the usual songs  :)

Made up when Studge came on and scored within a minute  8) and promptly treated us to his famous dance, as the Kop responded splendidly, after a slow first half, Liverpool burst into life in the second half, obviously had a bit of a talking to from the boss  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

We'd of lost this game a couple of seasons ago, the difference between then and now is a man called Jürgen Klopp, what a sensation he's been at Anfield and there is so much more to come, I'm loving this roller coaster of a journey we're on and long may it continue.

A real team performance in the second half, a bit like the Everton game really, much needed win today after the results yesterday, we were under a bit of pressure to perform and we did in fine style. Pep sitting in the stands will be a worried man.
      Bring on City on Saturday  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #436: Dec 28, 2016 12:36:02 am
      I love how Glen Johnson is hopeless at right back so Mark Hughes thought he'd give him a go at centre back :lmao: What an idiotic decision that was. Some managers don't have any brain cells do they?

Quick Reply