Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Plymouth?

Loris Karius
      4 (4.7%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      7 (8.1%)
      Joe Gomez
      14 (16.3%)
      Lucas Leiva
      4 (4.7%)
      Alberto Moreno
      4 (4.7%)
      Kevin Stewart
      23 (26.7%)
      Emre Can
      2 (2.3%)
      Ovie Ejaria
      2 (2.3%)
      Sheyi Ojo
      1 (1.2%)
      Ben Woodburn
      17 (19.8%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)
      Adam Lallana
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      8 (9.3%)

Total Members Voted: 83

Voting closed: Jan 12, 2017 03:29:17 pm

Liverpool 0-0 Plymouth Argyle: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 30530 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,042 posts | 3967 
      Re: Liverpool 0-0 Plymouth Argyle: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #253: Jan 08, 2017 03:57:38 pm
      Yet again park the bus has done us. We must be trying to practise this in training? If we are it's having zero impact, it's been an issue for years and I'm seeing very few signs of us being able to crack this problem.

That being said, we do have to consider this team has never played together before, the youngest team ever fielded... Just wish we'd have played with some more urgency.

That urgency would have been there mate maybe if Jürgen had played the big guns from the off.
      That would have spread them out more and a goal would have got one or two from in front of their goal, the young lads could then have had their chance in the second half in a game with their penalty area without defenders, midfielders and strikers shoulder to shoulder as Plymouth were most of the match.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,387 posts | 1542 
      Reply #254: Jan 08, 2017 03:59:31 pm
      Ive gone for Stewart motm for a decent display and a terrific tackle to stop a possible counter. Last defender as well, had to get it spot on,

And did!
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #255: Jan 08, 2017 03:59:59 pm
      Stewart clear motm for me. Not great but better than the rest.

Particularly disappointed with Can. Would have expected a German international to stand out against League two opposition but he rather sank to their level. Terrible game
      Can looks to be at the stage he needs a rest. Problem is there is not a lot supporting that position right now. I think it is an area Klopp should address this window.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,608 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #256: Jan 08, 2017 04:00:33 pm
      If Ojo had ran at them more, and maybe stuck the early header away, we would have easy.

But these things happen, was his first game back after a long injury as well. Can't be too harsh.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,984 posts | 5042 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #257: Jan 08, 2017 04:06:20 pm
      That urgency would have been there mate maybe if Jürgen had played the big guns from the off.
      That would have spread them out more and a goal would have got one or two from in front of their goal, the young lads could then have had their chance in the second half in a game with their penalty area without defenders, midfielders and strikers shoulder to shoulder as Plymouth were most of the match.

Can't disagree with you here Stuey, my starting X1 was exactly that, a mixture of youth and experience with the emphasis on experience. My idea was to have a 2or3 goal lead and then rest the 1st teamers and let the young lads see it out, Jürgen perhaps gambled too much but we are still in this tie and we will win at Home park, that I have no doubt .

YNWA
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #258: Jan 08, 2017 04:07:20 pm
      Get a grip! We had 28 shots and 18 corners. Can't keep blaming the bus. This was the youngest side in Liverpool history and we are still in the FA cup. This has been a great learning experience for some of our players who don't get much football.

2nd in the league
      Next game is a cup semi
      Still in FA cup
      Mostly fit and ready squad.

What is with the complaining guys?

Great learning experience??? 18 identical corners which were all easily defended, I didn't see any adaptation in the corners or in the attacking play in general. In fact I would say that there was zero in game development at all, it was all 100% predictable and as mentioned before bloody embarrassing. If this is the best our academy can offer then we may as well shut it down and save some money.
      Also where is the coaching, in the first half their goalie was blinded by the sun, why the F**k didn't any of the players have the bright idea of getting in front of the sun and just having a shot on target, easy goal?? And if they couldn't figure it out why couldn't any of the coaches?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #259: Jan 08, 2017 04:11:22 pm
      ffs. our youngest ever team played ok today, could have been worse, much worse. the experience gained today is massive for some of those lads, were still in the FA cup (after resting the 1st team), weve got a semi final wednesday, and were 2nd in the league.

It could have been a lot worse! 

Replay not ideal but it should be a lot more open and I don't think it's any big surprise that the likes of Origi and Woodburn are more likely to score when they are timing runs etc past the last man.  Neither of them have ever looked like the kind of player to score through a 10 man defence.

Now lets hope we get something out of the next two important games and get the likes of Coutinho, Henderson, Matip and Milner back from injury.
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #260: Jan 08, 2017 04:18:05 pm
      That what I all ways say, that you put on the big guns, get the job done, then make the substitutions, and not the other way around.... Players coming on trying to win a game are more likely to over stretch and pick up injuries.... Having said that; It is nice to see the youngster and fringe players given a competition to learn from and shine in though I believe that it should have been the EFL Cup and of course in games like this two or three fringe/youngsters starting with two or three more on the bench...
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #261: Jan 08, 2017 04:24:15 pm
      Yet again park the bus has done us.

And it will do again and again, Until we learn to break that sort of defense down
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,284 posts | 2765 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #262: Jan 08, 2017 04:28:33 pm
      Not often  Klopp makes a big mistake like he did today. I can understand playing so many reserve players in the League Cup but not the FA Cup.  Obviously he's only thinking one thing this year (( Premiership )) 
      ruthcity

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #263: Jan 08, 2017 04:29:30 pm
      And it will do again and again, Until we learn to break that sort of defense down

It has been and is the holy grail mate. We still don't have the ability to undo such a tactic and across most levels. The only positive is that we know it.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #264: Jan 08, 2017 04:30:55 pm
      Having said that; It is nice to see the youngster and fringe players given a competition to learn from and shine in though I believe that it should have been the EFL Cup

Kids have been playing in the League Cup!

We beat Spurs at home with this team
      Mignolet, Alexander-Arnold, Lucas, Klavan, Moreno; Stewart, Wijnaldum, Grujic, Ejaria; Origi, Sturridge

Almost the same level of first-team/youth (except Sturridge/Woodburn).
      ruthcity

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #265: Jan 08, 2017 04:32:32 pm
      Not often  Klopp makes a big mistake like he did today. I can understand playing so many reserve players in the League Cup but not the FA Cup.  Obviously he's only thinking one thing this year (( Premiership )) 

It's not a mistake Keith. It's just what it is. If we're not playing these kids now, when are we going to? Home game as well.
      https://mobile.twitter.com/AndyK_LivNews/status/818123826248712193?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #266: Jan 08, 2017 04:36:27 pm
      Ive gone for Stewart motm for a decent display and a terrific tackle to stop a possible counter. Last defender as well, had to get it spot on,

And did!

As did I  .
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #267: Jan 08, 2017 04:42:44 pm

When you have to play 2 league games in 4 days (F***ing joke scheduling), have 7 games schedule in one month and have a few key players missing in Matip, Mane & Coutinho then it doesn't surprise me that we went with that kind of line up.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #268: Jan 08, 2017 04:48:43 pm

We have a cup semi final in 3 days after playing 3 games in the last 8 days with 4 1st team starters injured and 1 coming back today from injury. 

No idea how you call it a mistake Keith more like no choice.  He did exactly the same last season in this round when we played Exeter.  Still it gives you lot the chance to have a go about how sh*t we are.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #269: Jan 08, 2017 04:49:10 pm
      Although it's a game we could have done without but I would play the youngsters again for the replay.

Youngsters mostly did ok just lacked a bit of killer instinct, maybe if the early Ojo chance had gone in they may have wanted to come out and play.
      Spurs finding it equally difficult against a 6 man back line from Villa.

Only dissapointing bit of the game was the stupid lofted crosses.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,284 posts | 2765 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #270: Jan 08, 2017 04:49:15 pm
      When you have to play 2 league games in 4 days (f**king joke scheduling), have 7 games schedule in one month and have a few key players missing in Matip, Mane & Coutinho then it doesn't surprise me that we went with that kind of line up.

It could be worse!! You could be in the Europa league like us  :(
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #271: Jan 08, 2017 04:54:44 pm
      It could be worse!! You could be in the Europa league like us  :(

We were last season remember, we beat you after playing a similar schedule of games every 3 days for 3 months as we also got to the CC final. 

With the squad you've got, the most expensive assembled in the world, with the highest wages paid and the most successful  :tosser: club manager ever you should be playing in every competetion and winning every game to boot. 

I see that's going well for you  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #272: Jan 08, 2017 04:56:41 pm
      Although it's a game we could have done without but I would play the youngsters again for the replay.

Youngsters mostly did ok just lacked a bit of killer instinct, maybe if the early Ojo chance had gone in they may have wanted to come out and play.
      Spurs finding it equally difficult against a 6 man back line from Villa.

Only dissapointing bit of the game was the stupid lofted crosses.

I agree with this, exactly the same team in the return leg, give them another chance to impress or disappoint as the case may be.
      I've calmed down a bit now and will admit that breaking down such an antifootballing side was probably alien to them but I still would have liked to see more variety in attack and more bloody shots on target.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,284 posts | 2765 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #273: Jan 08, 2017 04:56:48 pm

No idea how you call it a mistake Keith more like no choice.  He did exactly the same last season in this round when we played Exeter.  Still it gives you lot the chance to have a go about how sh*t we are.

Basically because it's the FA Cup Debs. It Carrys  more stature than the League Cup as we both know. It now means another match which the club obviously don't need so defo a mistake there.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,284 posts | 2765 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #274: Jan 08, 2017 04:57:40 pm
      Nah, it could be a lot f**king worse, we could BE you.

:lmao: :D :lmao:
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #275: Jan 08, 2017 04:58:34 pm
      We were last season remember, we beat you after playing a similar schedule of games every 3 days for 3 months as we also got to the CC final. 

With the squad you've got, the most expensive assembled in the world, with the highest wages paid and the most successful  :tosser: club manager ever you should be playing in every competetion and winning every game to boot. 

I see that's going well for you  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

Not to defend the scum but they are actually in all their competitions although the Prem is probably beyond them unless 5 other teams collapse.

Quick Reply