Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Daniel Sturridge set to leave Liverpool in the Summer (rumours are breaking)

Read 20904 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Re: Daniel Sturridge set to leave Liverpool in the Summer (rumours are breaking)
      Reply #138: Feb 16, 2017 05:24:17 pm
      We definitely need a great striker. I don't care what team you look at, watch the Champion's League games and you'll see what a good striker adds to a team. If  it's not going to be Danny, then it needs to be someone else. Bobby does ok, but that's not to say we can't improve on him.

It's F***ing alarming how it all turns to sh*te when Mane is missing.
      A few weeks away on internationals and the trophies and quite possibly our season are out the F***ing window.

He's only got to take a knock and we're in sh*t street again, the manager knows it, the supporters know it, the world and his wife know it!!

For fucks sake instead of reassurances ''the money is there'' spend some of it on quality strikers and defenders, make us a team to be reckoned with for more than a quarter of the season.

We got Daniel for buttons and he well paid us back, his better days are behind so sell and reinforce.

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Re: Daniel Sturridge set to leave Liverpool in the Summer (rumours are breaking)
      Reply #139: Feb 16, 2017 05:40:10 pm
      I imagine that prolific striker is going to have to have Bobby's characteristics along with Studge's eye for the goal.

Personally I think we will be looking at other Coutinho, Mane, Firmino, Lallana, Henderson types...when everybody is fit and and in-form we are a goal machine the issue is when we are missing one or more of these players it all breaks down.

Having 4 equal quality or better players that the manager can draw from when others are hurt or need a break aned I don't see the January we just had happening again.

The notion that we can't get through teams parking the bus incidentally coincided during a 6-7 week period where Lallana's groin, Coutinho out, Henderson's heel, Mane's AFCON and Bobby being run into the ground(along with personal issues)

One of those players out..ala Mane forces Lallana to go up front which puts Can in his place and its a downward spiral from there..having equal or better quality available and I honestly believe we do not see the drop-off we did.

Whilst I think we need those as well, imagine how much better we'd be if we had a Firmino-type player who could bang 20+ goals in a season? Throw in 10 or so from Coutinho, half a dozen from Lallana and around 15 from Mane and coupled with a decent defence and goalkeeper, we'd be unstoppable. To improve our squad we should be looking to improve on what we've got. We need a prolific goal scorer so that we can have Firmino on the bench. In short, what I'm saying is come the Summer, I personally think we need to be buying improvements in every position.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,348 posts | 2818 
      Reply #140: Feb 16, 2017 05:50:28 pm
      Don't think we'll be challenging for the Premier League or Champions League without a top striker so it's essential that we replace Sturridge properly. Firmino suits our style perfectly but he's not clinical enough. Not the sort of player who's going to nick the winner from a half chance in a game where we're not playing well.

We definitely need a great striker. I don't care what team you look at, watch the Champion's League games and you'll see what a good striker adds to a team.

Yep, rest of the top 6 in the Premier League have one and every good European side seem to have one as well. Time to go out and spend some money on one ourselves.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,176 posts | 8550 
      Reply #141: Feb 16, 2017 05:55:13 pm
      Anyone mentioned yet that he's already missed two training sessions in La Manga through having a virus!

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sturridge-misses-liverpool-training-12615919

AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #142: Feb 16, 2017 05:58:39 pm
      Whilst I think we need those as well, imagine how much better we'd be if we had a Firmino-type player who could bang 20+ goals in a season? Throw in 10 or so from Coutinho, half a dozen from Lallana and around 15 from Mane and coupled with a decent defence and goalkeeper, we'd be unstoppable. To improve our squad we should be looking to improve on what we've got. We need a prolific goal scorer so that we can have Firmino on the bench. In short, what I'm saying is come the Summer, I personally think we need to be buying improvements in every position.

Don't disagree one little bit..I suppose what I was saying is that that goal scorer may not be prototypical #9 type; what the gaffer may do is  get better or equal players to positions he has right now.

Personally I think Mane has the potential to be a 20+ goal scorer so having 2 Manes/2 Firminos..etc would be no different than having a direct replacement for a Sturridge.

We are tied top of the league for goals scored and all without even having a "real striker" per se.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #143: Feb 16, 2017 06:00:43 pm
      Yep, rest of the top 6 in the Premier League have one and every good European side seem to have one as well.

Yet we are top tied for league in goals scored...quite the quandary.
      DanMann

• 5,747 posts | 882 
      Reply #144: Feb 16, 2017 06:08:26 pm
      Don't think we'll be challenging for the Premier League or Champions League without a top striker so it's essential that we replace Sturridge properly.

Exactly. If we can't sign a top striker, I'd be inclined to keep Sturridge. Hate to see us let him go and then replace him with a lesser force. We need to step it up.

I can just imagine us next season with Sturridge gone.. and Firmino leading the line.  :f_wah:
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,411 posts | 3406 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #145: Feb 16, 2017 06:09:15 pm
      Oh leave the poor lad alone, he is probably tucked in bed having eggy soldiers for tea
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #146: Feb 16, 2017 06:25:08 pm
      Don't disagree one little bit..I suppose what I was saying is that that goal scorer may not be prototypical #9 type; what the gaffer may do is  get better or equal players to positions he has right now.

Personally I think Mane has the potential to be a 20+ goal scorer so having 2 Manes/2 Firminos..etc would be no different than having a direct replacement for a Sturridge.

We are tied top of the league for goals scored and all without even having a "real striker" per se.

Lewandowski is a pretty conventional Number 9, Aubameyang? He even signed the big lump Immobile.

Klopp has always played with a proper striker, of course it's not always easy finding a good one under our price restraints.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #147: Feb 16, 2017 06:33:27 pm

Gee....imagine what we might have scored with one.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #148: Feb 16, 2017 06:40:41 pm

Or imagine if we had a second Mane in the team?

I think we can do with Origi, Firmino and Ings as our #9's if we bought another Mane.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #149: Feb 16, 2017 06:49:28 pm
      Or imagine if we had a second Mane in the team?

I think we can do with Origi, Firmino and Ings as our #9's if we bought another Mane.

Why not another Mane and a dedicated #9? Why is it always  one or the other? 
      We have the money to spend, it should be addressed.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #150: Feb 16, 2017 07:30:08 pm

I think the traditional role of a number 9 has changed anyway. That's Sturridge's problem. He's a traditional number 9 at a time when the game is evolving away from that. As for Mane, you have to remember that unlike all other continental competitions, the AFCON is every two years. We can't afford to be losing our only 20+ goal a season forward for six to eight weeks every two seasons.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #151: Feb 16, 2017 08:13:37 pm

Very possibly more but also very possible that Mane/Firmino/Lallana scored less.

One thing is for sure he is going to get one that is compatible with the way he want's to play, he is not going to buy one just for the numbers.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #152: Feb 16, 2017 08:15:57 pm
      Why not another Mane and a dedicated #9? Why is it always  one or the other? 
      We have the money to spend, it should be addressed.

I am sure we have enough, but even if we sell Sturridge, do we need to buy another striker? We already have Ings, Firmino and Origi... players I feel are good enough for #9, especially if we can keep a #11(Mane or new wide player) and #10(Coutinho or Lallana) fit throughout the season.

And even if you don't think Firmino, Origi and Ings are good enough, do you want to see them pushed out wide? Do you think Klopp will sell  Firmino and Origi who is 21y and shown a lot of potential? How about Ings , I'm not sure he will sell Ings?

Look at the attacking players each team have, and notice we are the only squad to have 4 #9's.

Man City

Strikers: Aguero & Iheanacho
      Wide/AMC: Jesus, Navas, De Bruyne, Silva, Sterling & Sane

Chelsea

Strikers: Costa & Batshuayi
      Wide/AMC: Hazard, Pedro, Willian & Kenedy

Spurs

Strikers: Kane & Janssen
      Wide/AMC: Eriksen, Son, Alli, Lamela & Sissoko?

Liverpool

Strikers: Firmino, Sturridge, Ings, Origi
      Wide/AMC: Mane, Coutinho & Lallana.

AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #153: Feb 16, 2017 08:25:46 pm
      I am sure we have enough, but even if we sell Sturridge, do we need to buy another striker? We already have Ings, Firmino and Origi... players I feel are good enough for #9, especially if we can keep a #11(Mane or new wide player) and #10(Coutinho or Lallana) fit throughout the season.

Look at the attacking players each team have, and notice we are the only squad to have 4 #9's.

Man City

Chelsea

Spurs

Liverpool

I would say we need more quantity/quality in our attack...whether that comes from another out an out striker or buying two more quality Mane's/Firmino's it really does not matter.

In a period of transition and especially with this team the word Striker may not be appropriate...because even though you list Firmino as a striker he really is not  in the traditional sense.

You look at  Aguero & Iheanacho at Man City and what was Pep doing?....playing Gabriel.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #154: Feb 16, 2017 08:37:01 pm
      I would say we need more quantity/quality in our attack...whether that comes from another out an out striker or buying two more quality Mane's/Firmino's it really does not matter.

In a period of transition and especially with this team the word Striker may not be appropriate...because even though you list Firmino as a striker he really is not  in the traditional sense.

You look at  Aguero & Iheanacho at Man City and what was Pep doing?....playing Gabriel.

I think our attack when players are fit is very strong, just as strong as the teams I mentioned. Get a 2nd Mane, and we have more chance of keeping 1 quick special player fit. Also,  Firmino has played as the #9 role rather than false a few times and performed exceptionally, he just needs experience to be more clinical. I certainly don't see him as a 10 or wide player anymore.

Gabriel is considered a left forward apparently, that's where he has played mostly throughout his career, who knows where he will end up, but I can't see Firmino, Origi and Ings performing the same level they would put out as a #9 in the #11 role.

Anyway, if Sturridge leaves, I hope we end buy buying a special wide player, and if Klopp decides to go for a striker, I reckon he should sell Ings.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #155: Feb 16, 2017 08:45:20 pm
      For as much stick as Studge takes, how can anyone say that Ings is someone we should rely on?

Firmino isn't a #9, and Origi isn't an established player like most of us are talking about. I'm looking at players like Lewandoski, Muller, Benzema, Cavani, etc.....

Aside from Studge...we don't have that on our roster. Maybe Klopp doesn't want a player like that, I don't really care, my point and my desire doesn't have to align with Jürgen's, it's my own belief in what we need. Just watch a few CL games and you'll  see how quality is necessary. There won't be a team win the CL that doesn't have quality in depth at just about every position.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #156: Feb 16, 2017 08:48:08 pm
      Anyway, if Sturridge leaves, I hope we end buy buying a special wide player, and if Klopp decides to go for a striker, I reckon he should sell Ings.

That's where I am at and considering that all Jürgen basically talks about when it come to getting more attacking players is the need for width and speed I think it's what his is thinking of also.

I personally think we are more likely to see a Brandt (Mane), Pulisic(Lallana) , Dahoud (Henderson), Willems(Milner) type of purchases this Summer vs going out and dropping money on a Griezmann or Aubameyang. Not superstars yet but these players are young and share a pretty much unlimited upside in quality if they are developed properly.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #157: Feb 16, 2017 08:54:05 pm
      By the way, it's a myth that Klopp only wants to  buy "up an comers" to develop.

Just look at a couple of the targets we've apparently missed out on (Gotze, Draxler).

Neither are talent in the making, both were/are considered ready to go right now.
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts | 59 
      Reply #158: Feb 16, 2017 09:09:46 pm
      The way Alexis Sánchez looked last night I wonder how much it would cost to get him away from Arsenal he looked well pee`d off
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #159: Feb 16, 2017 09:11:13 pm
      The way Alexis Sánchez looked last night I wonder how much it would cost to get him away from Arsenal he looked well pee`d off

No use, he wouldn't play in Liverpool it's not as "posh" as London  :f_tongueincheek:
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #160: Feb 16, 2017 09:25:42 pm

And even if you don't think Firmino, Origi and Ings are good enough, do you want to see them pushed out wide? Do you think Klopp will sell  Firmino and Origi who is 21y and shown a lot of potential? How about Ings , I'm not sure he will sell Ings?

Man City

Chelsea

Spurs

Liverpool

Ings has spent more time on the treatment table than the field since joining. Origi and Sturridge are rarely picked by the manager. For all intents and purposes, our sole 'striker' is Firmino and he lacks the finishing prowess the others do. We need more quality up front than Firmino currently offers.

Quick Reply