Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Daniel Sturridge set to leave Liverpool in the Summer (rumours are breaking)

Read 21271 times
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Re: Daniel Sturridge set to leave Liverpool in the Summer (rumours are breaking)
      Reply #161: Feb 16, 2017 10:34:28 pm
      Ings has spent more time on the treatment table than the field since joining. Origi and Sturridge are rarely picked by the manager. For all intents and purposes, our sole 'striker' is Firmino and he lacks the finishing prowess the others do. We need more quality up front than Firmino currently offers.

Can't disagree with you much, but I just feel if we had Mane and Coutinho available throughout, Firmino would probably have scored more goals than he has now. We also have to remember that he's relatively new playing as the #9, but has shown a lot of of exceptional moments in that role, just needs more time to work on his finishing and then maybe we'll have a 20 goal striker.

I also wish Klopp had more faith in Origi and would be given a prolonged chance as a #9, he has so much potential and the right attributes to become a beastly striker. Actually, how often has he played with Mane, Coutinho and Lallana in the team?

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Re: Daniel Sturridge set to leave Liverpool in the Summer (rumours are breaking)
      Reply #162: Feb 16, 2017 10:56:20 pm
      Can't disagree with you much, but I just feel if we had Mane and Coutinho available throughout, Firmino would probably have scored more goals than he has now. We also have to remember that he's relatively new playing as the #9, but has shown a lot of of exceptional moments in that role, just needs more time to work on his finishing and then maybe we'll have a 20 goal striker.

I also wish Klopp had more faith in Origi and would be given a prolonged chance as a #9, he has so much potential and the right attributes to become a beastly striker. Actually, how often has he played with Mane, Coutinho and Lallana in the team?

He suffers from the same problem as Sturridge; he's a more traditional Striker finding himself in a system specifically set up to not rely on a traditional Striker. Suarez would have been amazing in this team. Obviously he's one of the best players in the world now but we need to be looking for someone like he was when he was still playing in the Dutch league.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,881 posts | 6815 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #163: Feb 18, 2017 11:27:10 pm
      The way Alexis Sánchez looked last night I wonder how much it would cost to get him away from Arsenal he looked well pee`d off

Never going to happen, his wife wouldn't let him.  :P
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 845 posts | 235 
      Reply #164: Feb 19, 2017 12:09:34 am

That's why he didn't come here  in the first place. (that and because he preferred Wenger over Rodgers.)
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #165: Feb 19, 2017 11:01:39 am
      That's why he didn't come here  in the first place. (that and because he preferred Wenger over Rodgers.)

F****** Rodgers!!  :mad: :-\ :f_wah: :lmao:
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,438 posts | 8656 
      Reply #166: Feb 19, 2017 05:09:10 pm
      By the way, it's a myth that Klopp only wants to  buy "up an comers" to develop.

Of course it's a myth!! It's basically down to what we can afford and without the Champions League, we ain't buying those type of players.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #167: Feb 19, 2017 07:17:02 pm
      By the way, it's a myth that Klopp only wants to  buy "up an comers" to develop.

Just look at a couple of the targets we've apparently missed out on (Gotze, Draxler).

Neither are talent in the making, both were/are considered ready to go right now.

Very similar to his predecessor. He wanted to sign ready made talent too occasionally (Diego Costa, Willian, Konoplyanka, Sanchez etc) but as the Rolling Stones once said, you can't always get what you want. Where Jürgen has an advantage over Rodgers is that at least when he wants players who are cheaper, we appear to be mostly getting who HE wants and not some committee pick. Rodgers wanted Ryan Bertrand and got Alberto Moreno instead, wanted Sanchez and got Ballotelli instead etc. Wanted Deli Alli and got nobody instead etc etc.

All I ask and all I've ever asked is that we give the manager a sensible budget on transfers and wages, one that befits a club of our stature and wealth, and then let him spend it on who HE wants. If the players that HE wants are "expensive" in terms of fees and/or wages, and if they don't have a great re-sale value, then it shouldn't impact upon our efforts to sign him. Simples.   

The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #168: Feb 19, 2017 07:52:18 pm
      Had plenty of actual taping, goals Lucas could not fail to put away
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #169: Feb 19, 2017 07:53:43 pm
      How did that Suarez and Carroll thing work out?
      different system, Long ball Carroll knock down, Crosses in to the box from the wing or headers from Carroll... Sturridge/Suarez/Sterling was more feet to feet and ball into spaces for players to run onto
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,604 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #170: Feb 19, 2017 08:28:25 pm

Reports about the place that he's split up with the ball and chain.
      FSG might be able to sign him now that that stone in their shoe has been removed (after all, it's very hard for large corporations to win over a stubborn WAG).
      Apparently she was demanding too much sex off him and it was affecting his performance on the pitch. We all know how annoying that can be  :f_wah:
      Better of without her...
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,438 posts | 8656 
      Reply #171: Feb 20, 2017 01:52:40 pm
      different system, Long ball Carroll knock down, Crosses in to the box from the wing or headers from Carroll

And yet even with Big Andy in the team I'm struggling to remember us turning into a long ball team even when he was in the first XI!!!

I do remember Suarez twatting the cross-bar a fair few times.

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #172: Feb 20, 2017 05:58:18 pm
      And yet even with Big Andy in the team I'm struggling to remember us turning into a long ball team even when he was in the first XI!!!

I do remember Suarez twatting the cross-bar a fair few times.

We had the most passes, in the final third (of anyone in Europe including Barca), at one point too.

Best not let the truth get in the way of the myth and FSG's black propaganda tho.

The fact that we still have  "Reds"  believe the sh*te that 'FSG were right to get rid of the King... cause he wasted so much money and didn't play good football' is actually scary. 😊
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,332 posts | 4960 
      Reply #173: Feb 20, 2017 06:33:52 pm
      We had the most passes, in the final third (of anyone in Europe including Barca), at one point too.

Best not let the truth get in the way of the myth and FSG's black propaganda tho.

The fact that we still have  "Reds"  believe the sh*te that 'FSG were right to get rid of the King... cause he wasted so much money and didn't play good football' is actually scary. 😊

Some of the football we played under Kenny during that spell was a joy to behold.

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #174: Feb 26, 2017 08:40:11 am
      I rate Danny really highly, I believe he is a world class talent and I think Klopp has missed a trick of not trying to get the best out of him rather than freezing him out

I suppose we will see how world class he is in the Summer when he has his pick of Barca, Bayern, Dortmund, etc.

A good move for him would be Italy in my opinion.

Clearly hasn't got the legs for the Premiership. 2013, when he had pace and consistency, was a long time ago.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,438 posts | 8656 
      Reply #175: Feb 26, 2017 02:37:17 pm
      I suppose we will see how world class he is in the Summer when he has his pick of Barca, Bayern, Dortmund, etc.

A good move for him would be Italy in my opinion.

Clearly hasn't got the legs for the Premiership. 2013, when he had pace and consistency, was a long time ago.

Probably end up replacing Crouch at Stoke ;)
      DanMann

• 5,797 posts | 892 
      Reply #176: Feb 26, 2017 03:30:00 pm
      When I look at Costa's goals... I look for that pace so often talked about..  :roll:
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,664 posts | 490 
      Reply #177: Feb 26, 2017 03:36:23 pm
      When I look at Costa's goals... I look for that pace so often talked about..  :roll:
      Costa has physical strength, which Sturridge lacks. Sturridge's main strength were his pace and excellent finishing; one of them is gone unfortunately. And other one isn't shinning at the moment, be it due to loss of confidence or lack of playing time.

Seriously you are looking at the wrong player if you want any comparison........ or just trying to stir sh*t as usual.
      DanMann

• 5,797 posts | 892 
      Reply #178: Feb 26, 2017 05:11:41 pm
      Not stirring anything mate. Just pointing out the glaring obvious flaw in the argument.

If you want to tell me that Costa scores goals because he is strong... fair enough. I mean, I won't believe it, but fair enough.

The claim that Sturridge relies on pace to score goals is a nonsense. Nice story, but just not true. Similarly, you'll find that many other strikers score goals without pace. Goal scoring ability is far more crucial.
      DanMann

• 5,797 posts | 892 
      Reply #179: Feb 26, 2017 05:19:25 pm
      I'll just leave this rather clear evidence here....

You could argue that 2 of those goals required a small burst of pace to get him in the goal scoring position. But no more than that.

So, 2 out of 10 top goals required pace. Yay for that argument.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyX2y2AwAOg
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #180: Feb 27, 2017 12:07:03 am
      I'll just leave this rather clear evidence here....

You could argue that 2 of those goals required a small burst of pace to get him in the goal scoring position. But no more than that.

So, 2 out of 10 top goals required pace. Yay for that argument.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyX2y2AwAOg

Then why isn't he doing all of that stuff, firstly, in training and secondly when he plays?

Because if he was as prolific as he was in the past he'd be playing all the time and scoring all the time, right?

I'd love it if he was. Just can't see it coming back in time for him to save his career, here.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #181: Feb 27, 2017 02:22:36 am
      Then why isn't he doing all of that stuff, firstly, in training and secondly when he plays?

Because if he was as prolific as he was in the past he'd be playing all the time and scoring all the time, right?

I'd love it if he was. Just can't see it coming back in time for him to save his career, here.

I think his goal scoring is pretty much etched into the class is permanent and all that jazz.

Whether he's been injured or frozen out (both), you can hardly expect him to score goals from the bench or the physio room.

Sturridge has always needed a fair amount of games to get into his groove, proper. And, even if he has come back into the team at times and has banged in the goal, that doesn't mean he's been up to speed. Far from it. Now though, when he has been given the occasional game and hasn't scored, he's not only lost his pace, but his ability to score.  :D

As frustrating as his injuries are, I believe any manager worth his salt could have squeezed more out of him, but like the majority of fans, Jürgen isn't keen on Sturridge the individual.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #182: Feb 27, 2017 09:20:49 am
      I'm not sure about any of that Dave. Take Benteke; statistically every bit as prolific (under Jürgen P.L.) as Sadio - didn't get the same game time.

Truth is; I don't think being prolific has much of a part to play or we would be selling Divock instead.

Nah buddy; like Christian before him, Jürgen just "doesn't fancy Danny" and his wages 'saved' will pay both Adam's and Phil's pay rise. After all, we can't afford to have too many "big" earners on the books. 😉

Liverpool F. C.: 'Big Earner Frozen Out Shocker' 😄
      grooveshark
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts | 129 
      Reply #183: Feb 27, 2017 11:20:14 am

Roberto Firmino has started in 29 games and has scored 9 goals. Sturridge has started what? 9 games and he has 6 goals to his name.

He is not starting because he cannot score, he is simply not starting because the manager does not fancy him. By the way, here is a list of players who have more goals and assists that Roberto Firmino this season:

Hueng-Min Son, Dele Alli, Harry Kane, Ericksen, Diego Costa, Eden Hazard, Pedro, Aguero, Sterling, De Bruyne, Ibrahimovic, Sanchez, Walcott, Ozil, Giroud, Lukaku, Defoe, Mane.

Then you have a group of players who would most likely outperform him if they played the minutes he has played i.e Rooney, Mata, Rashford, Martial, Chamberlain, Lucas Perez, Fabregas.

In all this, people are arguing that Sturridge isn't as prolific, he has lost a yard of pace. He misses some chances he should convert as does everyone, but by and large, he is the best striker at LFC and that has been sacrificed for what? Increased work rate and less potency up top?

This team is most likely going to be in Europe next term, that will mean more games at a faster frequency, and I would love to see better teams than what Klopp was fielding in some of the cup games this season. For that you will need depth, and selling one of the better players in the team to replace with lesser quality does not make any sense. You could have Origi, but he is so hit and miss that it boggles the mind; one day he shows immense promise, the next game he struggles with decision making to the extreme.

Quick Reply