Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Are LFC genuinely interested?

Yes we are ready to go head to head to sign him
      49 (44.1%)
      No, it's PR spin
      62 (55.9%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)

Read 263419 times
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Re: Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)
      Reply #1288: Jul 09, 2017 09:22:56 am
      It's OK suggesting he hands in a transfer request but Southampton don't have to accept it. Pellegrino holds all the cards on this one.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1289: Jul 09, 2017 09:27:38 am
      Is Michael Edwards the new Ian Ayre? Aka our go to fall guy when we fail to land transfers?
      😄

He's the one constant foar; nothing "new" about him.

Brought in by Comolli to revolutionise the way we approach transfers; Edwards has outlasted two managers and a DoF who, if we are being honest, were the real scapegoats for a failed transfer policy.

His promotion has just drawn more attention to him. Even if he does like to hide... What does he look like? 😉

« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2017 09:42:50 am by bad boy bubby »
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1290: Jul 09, 2017 09:28:20 am
      It's OK suggesting he hands in a transfer request but Southampton don't have to accept it. Pellegrino holds all the cards on this one.

Well yes and no, they hold the cards in that they don't ever have to sell a player, but if we offer a good amount for a player who will be disruptive and not give 100% then you'd have to be a fucktard not to accept it.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #1291: Jul 09, 2017 09:58:36 am
      VD signed 6 year contract last year. His own fault if he peaks at Southampton.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1292: Jul 09, 2017 10:14:33 am
      Well yes and no, they hold the cards in that they don't ever have to sell a player, but if we offer a good amount for a player who will be disruptive and not give 100% then you'd have to be a fucktard not to accept it.

But if they can get one more year out of him and still get the same next year then they can reject whatever amount we offer.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,517 posts | 1508 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #1293: Jul 09, 2017 11:32:53 am
      Jay‏ @Jay82_LFC  13h13 hours ago

Virgil van Dijk has told Southampton he only wants to join Liverpool

Not a single "quote" to be seen anywhere, but if you're interested, here's the Mirror link:

www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/virgil-van-dijk-told-southampton-10761788#ICID=sharebar_twitter

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #1294: Jul 09, 2017 11:54:47 am
      Ultimately this one could really test the efficacy of the accepted wisdom that 'players hold the all the power' nowadays.

If true - then he probably will end up at Anfield and we'll all (well mostly) be happy. If not - he won't.......

Seems like for big Virgil and Southampton it's a case of who blinks first now. I suspect - having watch a fair bit of the big fella - if he ends up with Liverpool and Celtic on his CV he'll live with a bit of booing once a year on the South Coast.......
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #1295: Jul 11, 2017 02:04:36 pm
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #1296: Jul 11, 2017 02:14:52 pm
      He has shown that he isn't motivated or influenced by money by reportedly turning both city and Chelsea down in favour for us.

So why hasn't he handed in a transfer request?

I was under the impression that players rarely put transfer requests in so they receive bonus's from the selling club, but he is quite clearly going to earn much more wages at Anfield than what he's on now so does it really matter?

Can somebody elaborate and explain the situation to me please because I'm confused here.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1297: Jul 11, 2017 03:47:30 pm
      He has shown that he isn't motivated or influenced by money by reportedly turning both city and Chelsea down in favour for us.

So why hasn't he handed in a transfer request?

I was under the impression that players rarely put transfer requests in so they receive bonus's from the selling club, but he is quite clearly going to earn much more wages at Anfield than what he's on now so does it really matter?

Can somebody elaborate and explain the situation to me please because I'm confused here.

Klopp wants/wanted him.
      VVD wants to join us.
      Southampton management are sick of Liverpool taking their best players.

We are either in a cooling off period after which the deal can be done, OR,  as a matter of principle they will not sell to us.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #1298: Jul 11, 2017 05:05:40 pm
      Klopp wants/wanted him.
      VVD wants to join us.

We are either in a cooling off period after which the deal can be done, OR,  as a matter of principle they will not sell to us.

But all the credible journos said there is a slight chance the move can happen but VVD needs to force it through I.e transfer request.

I don't understand why he hasn't made one. Instead he has gone on pre season tour with saints?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1299: Jul 11, 2017 05:26:21 pm
      But all the credible journos said there is a slight chance the move can happen but VVD needs to force it through I.e transfer request.

I don't understand why he hasn't made one. Instead he has gone on pre season tour with saints?

Fair question. I think the "slight chance" has to do with Saints management reconsidering at some point. I'm not sure how much of a thing "handing in a transfer request" is anymore.

Isn't there a down side for us getting a player if said player refused to take part in preseason plans with the club that was paying his wages?

In 10 days I'm going on a week-long trip with my 80-year old Dad,and it shouldn't be hard to switch off all LFC news during that time. I don't expect anything to happen between now and the end of the China trip, so I should try and forget about transfers until the end of the month. I probably won't though.  :roll:

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #1300: Jul 11, 2017 05:34:57 pm
      Fair question. I think the "slight chance" has to do with Saints management reconsidering at some point. I'm not sure how much of a thing "handing in a transfer request" is anymore.

Isn't there a down side for us getting a player if said player refused to take part in preseason plans with the club that was paying his wages?

In 10 days I'm going on a week-long trip with my 80-year old Dad,and it shouldn't be hard to switch off all LFC news during that time. I don't expect anything to happen between now and the end of the China trip, so I should try and forget about transfers until the end of the month. I probably won't though.  :roll:

Really wish I could forget about all this and leave it alone but I guess I'm a glutton for punishment.

It's the hope that kills you.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,435 posts | 3418 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #1301: Jul 11, 2017 06:09:05 pm
      If Jamie redknapp reckons it will happen that is good enough for me
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #1302: Jul 11, 2017 06:13:17 pm
      If Jamie redknapp reckons it will happen that is good enough for me

Cant work out if you're being sarcastic or not.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,435 posts | 3418 
      Reply #1303: Jul 11, 2017 06:19:38 pm
      Cant work out if you're being sarcastic or not.

Mmm, what do you think
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1304: Jul 11, 2017 07:29:09 pm
      Klopp wants/wanted him.
      VVD wants to join us.

Was a waste of time signing Lambert, Saints should take that into consideration. In fact, I think they owe us for that one ;)
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #1305: Jul 11, 2017 07:48:05 pm
      http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/15401671.Van_Dijk_at_the_heart_of_Pellegrino_s_plans/?ref=rss

"It seems Jürgen Klopp’s side still harbour a big interest in the Netherlands international, although Saints feel well-placed to withstand bids as long as Van Dijk doesn’t agitate for a move"

Interesting line that..
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #1306: Jul 11, 2017 08:09:58 pm
      http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/15401671.Van_Dijk_at_the_heart_of_Pellegrino_s_plans/?ref=rss

"It seems Jürgen Klopp’s side still harbour a big interest in the Netherlands international, although Saints feel well-placed to withstand bids as long as Van Dijk doesn’t agitate for a move"

Interesting line that..

Well if he's going to agitate, I wish he'd get to it, only 7 weeks till window slams shut and we know how long it takes us to get a deal done.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #1307: Jul 11, 2017 08:11:13 pm

He didn't have to refuse to go on pre season tours with them, but he could have still handed in a transfer request before he went.

The chances are saints would have left him at home anyway because who wants a player in their squad that doesn't want to be there, only disrupting the dressing room?

I'm not sure how much of a thing handing in a transfer request is either (I suppose it's just evident that the players focus is no longer with that club), but every credible journo seems to think the only way this deal is going to happen is if VVD forces it through, and so far we've seen no signs of that. A bit strange if you ask me.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #1308: Jul 11, 2017 08:31:53 pm
      Bet he has a damn good loyalty bonus with that nice 6 year contract he signed. Don't expect a transfer request, I'm not.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,435 posts | 3418 
      Reply #1309: Jul 11, 2017 08:39:09 pm
      Don't see Southampton selling now, would be an enormous loss of face for them
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #1310: Jul 11, 2017 08:46:36 pm
      Don't see Southampton selling now, would be an enormous loss of face for them

Wouldn't be the first time, they were adamant Lallana wasn't going anywhere too.

Quick Reply