Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Are LFC genuinely interested?

Yes we are ready to go head to head to sign him
      49 (44.1%)
      No, it's PR spin
      62 (55.9%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)

Read 263358 times
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Re: Virgil Van Dijk (Southampton)
      Reply #1610: Aug 04, 2017 12:43:05 pm
      Didn't make sense for them to sign Salah and then loan him out either.

£50m to weaken one of their main threats this season is pocket change for them.

Difference being, Salah was dirt cheap (damn good investment with his experience and skill set) and we were flying high in the league mid season, so I can understand why they did it. But buying another CB at 50m instead of a midfielder just to weaken us? I don't buy it, oh... and there was a certain c**t manager at Chelsea at the time too that hated us.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #1611: Aug 04, 2017 12:53:52 pm
      If Chelsea wanted him they would have him by now - they dont piss about like we do with Transfers...

I have no idea why we dont just offer £70Million and be done with it - stupid money these days for players and I have no idea on what the 'real' value is in money terms. All I know is he would be a massive improvement upon Klaven or Lovren and we need to improve in that area.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1612: Aug 04, 2017 12:57:52 pm
      How in the name of Jesus Christ did Jürgen become dependent on this moron?

ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #1613: Aug 04, 2017 01:00:33 pm
      Why has this deal not been done by now? Is it because he's not for sale? If so is there a back up plan?
      This shouldn't be taking this long to sort out!
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #1614: Aug 04, 2017 01:04:38 pm
      Not a case of being ridiculous at all, Southampton have done very very well financially out of dealing with us. They now have a player who doesn't want to play for them who they can sell for a huge profit. The only reason not to do this is out of small minded spite, its not good for business or the team.
      BTW if Coutinio was to make it clear he wants to leave, in the same way as VVD has, then I would absolutely say sell him, get as much as we can for him, but he hasn't and that is a big big difference. The fact that you get some grief by living in Southampton is just some unfortunate collateral damage but at least you know you support a much much better team than them ;-)

He's on a newly signed 5 year deal, I suspect they haven't sold him yet because they hope he can still be a Southampton player although that is looking increasingly difficult. People down here think he is behaving like a petulant tw*t BECAUSE he was tapped up by LFC, given the Saints board reported LFC to the Premier League its very likely they see it the same way.

If he same thing played out with Coutinho and Barca I wouldn't want us to sell him to them, to someone else maybe but not to Barca. But ultimately I will be wanting us to keep the player (no matter how much he wants to go), get past 31st August and go from there.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #1615: Aug 04, 2017 01:05:30 pm
      Why has this deal not been done by now? Is it because he's not for sale? If so is there a back up plan?

I point you to the post above yours for the answer.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #1616: Aug 04, 2017 01:16:39 pm
      I don't care about any freaking apology. We want the player, go bid on the effing player. It's not that hard. Who in the hell decided that we should apologize for doing something every single team does? And why didn't we just put in a bid for him as soon as the window opened? We'd have signed him by now even by our slothlike timeframe of signing players.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1617: Aug 04, 2017 01:19:46 pm
      So much for that rumour of us signing him this week then.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1618: Aug 04, 2017 01:32:46 pm
      So much for that rumour of us signing him this week then.

Hey, this week hasn't ended yet! Might be announced on Sunday ;)
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #1619: Aug 04, 2017 01:51:00 pm
      I don't care about any freaking apology. We want the player, go bid on the effing player. It's not that hard. Who in the hell decided that we should apologize for doing something every single team does? And why didn't we just put in a bid for him as soon as the window opened? We'd have signed him by now even by our slothlike timeframe of signing players.

Maybe the unnecessary apology was the first in a long line of F**k ups.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,434 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #1620: Aug 04, 2017 01:53:50 pm

Because Southampton don't want to sell him as is their right, if they eventually say F**k it it's not worth the hassle and sell him. It's a sellers market
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1621: Aug 04, 2017 02:13:50 pm
      Because Southampton don't want to sell him as is their right, if they eventually say f**k it it's not worth the hassle and sell him. It's a sellers market

Yes but the stark reality for Southampton, is that they have a player who doesn't want to play for him, if they force him then at best he will not be the player he was. That player has said he wants to come to us and we have plenty of money to spend.
      Southampton need to swallow their pride and do what's good for business and sell VVD to us for a HUGE profit which they can then reinvest on other players.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #1622: Aug 04, 2017 02:16:58 pm
      Yes but the stark reality for Southampton, is that they have a player who doesn't want to play for him, if they force him then at best he will not be the player he was. That player has said he wants to come to us and we have plenty of money to spend.
      Southampton need to swallow their pride and do what's good for business and sell VVD to us for a HUGE profit which they can then reinvest on other players.

Southampton are well within their rights to do what they are doing...holding their player to his contract. If this was the other way around (think Suarez) you'd be happy for LFC to stand it's ground.

That being said, no club is going to turn down a crap ton of money that could  be reinvested appropriately if they know a player wants to leave and is going to throw a fit to get out.

My original point is, had we just made a bid in the beginning, then at least we could have got the ball rolling, we could have put pressure on the club  itself and then Van Dijk if he really wanted to come could have submitted a transfer request to show his intent.

At this stage, it's just as much his fault as Soton's as he's not taking the necessary step to publicly signal that he wants to move on.

If we don't end up signing him (which I don't think we will) then we completely deserve that outcome from the way we humped this whole transfer up  from the start.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8572 
      Reply #1623: Aug 04, 2017 02:19:56 pm
      How in the name of Jesus Christ did Jürgen become dependent on this moron?

He wrote him a letter of recommendation!!

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,434 posts | 3417 
      Reply #1624: Aug 04, 2017 02:29:21 pm

Agreed,  no doubt these Chelsea links are coming from Southampton,  it looks to me like a game of brinkmanship seeing who moves first. Ultimately if a player doesn't want to play for you then you have to decide what to do, dig your heels in, do what arsenal are doing with alexis and pretend nothings wrong or sell..
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1625: Aug 04, 2017 04:22:44 pm
      Developing a real preseason melancholy here. I need to go into a trance for a week or something.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,434 posts | 3417 
      Reply #1626: Aug 04, 2017 04:31:41 pm
      Developing a real preseason melancholy here. I need to go into a trance for a week or something.

A year sounds good, tried to be optimistic but beginning to flag now.
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #1627: Aug 04, 2017 05:52:25 pm
      Well what are we even waiting for? Isn't this exactly what we want -- for Southampton to put the player on sale?
      If we don't enter a bidding war with Chelsea and come out the winner then I give up. It's the one player for a position we desperately need to improve. I don't care if we pay over the odds for him, we've been saving up transfer money for the past few seasons already.

Get it done FFS!!!
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,434 posts | 3417 
      Reply #1628: Aug 04, 2017 06:42:18 pm
      People saying we should do more, what exactly ? Vvd has done everything bar taking a dump on les reed's desk and Southampton  are resisting
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #1629: Aug 04, 2017 06:44:06 pm
      People saying we should do more, what exactly ? Vvd has done everything bar taking a dump on les reed's desk and Southampton  are resisting

Put a F***ing bid in for a start!
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,703 posts | 894 
      Reply #1630: Aug 04, 2017 06:46:31 pm

How  about making a bid? And don't wait until saints tell us to. How about not apologizing?
      Look at psg, don't you think they were tapping neymar?
      I honestly don't think the fa would have done anything even if saints did report us?
      We are a bigger team then saints, let's act like it.

Not bashing the owners here but the people who run the club, Keita transfer we weren't at fault but vvd we messed up and it's our fault.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,703 posts | 894 
      Reply #1631: Aug 04, 2017 06:50:30 pm
      Doesn't make sense for Chelsea to sign VVD, they have Cahill, Luiz, Azpillicueta and Rudiger, with Christensen who had 2 very strong seasons at Monchengladbach and is back in the Chelsea fold.

But that's how you improve as a tream, if they sign him then they are signing one of the best defender of the league.
      Letting him compete with their other cb's and pick the best two or whoever is inform.
      Just bonus that with signing a quality cb, they are going to screw one if their rivals.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #1632: Aug 04, 2017 06:53:01 pm

VVD hasn't done everything...he hasn't submitted a transfer request.

And besides that, we should bid on a player that we want, not stand around like a peeping tom peering through a window.

Quick Reply