Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should LFC sell Coutinho to Barcelona in this transfer window?

Yes, sell now, leaves now.
      (20.4%)
      Yes, sell now,go in the summer
      (59.2%)
      No, he stays, what ever.
      (20.4%)

Philippe Coutinho (Barcelona)

Read 297780 times
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Re: Philippe Coutinho (Barcelona)
      Reply #3427: Jan 02, 2018 01:18:13 pm
      It's imperative he stays the rest of the season and continues to give the level of performance we have seen in the first 4 months because he has been absolutely superb. Whether that means a Keita style deal of simply an agreement to talk with Barca in the summer. It's not like they really need him right now anyway, they are bossing it in La Liga and he's cup tied for the Champions League. It really would be stupidity to let him go mid-season when he is in this form.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #3428: Jan 02, 2018 01:23:24 pm
      Liverpool will demand an "astronomical" fee from Barcelona before they consider selling 25-year-old playmaker Philippe Coutinho

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/12/31/has-philippe-coutinho-signed-barcelona-nike-make-bizarre-kit/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Liverpool will demand astronomical fee from Barcelona to sell Philippe Coutinho after Nike website blunder

Would Love to get £160m from them...  ;D

On a point of principle I would now refuse to sell to Barca and offer him up to all other clubs in the summer IF he still wants to leave.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #3429: Jan 02, 2018 01:26:58 pm
      Coutinho on strike. I wouldn't sell him now.

Source please?
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,512 posts | 4851 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #3430: Jan 02, 2018 01:44:52 pm
      I can think of 75 million reasons why we are more open to selling now than we were in the Summer.

https://twitter.com/MelissaReddy_/status/948186913856421888
      Scottbot

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #3431: Jan 02, 2018 01:45:46 pm
      On a point of principle I would now refuse to sell to Barca and offer him up to all other clubs in the summer IF he still wants to leave.

There are no points of principle in football mate, it's a business. We just signed Van Dyke 3 months after a grovelling apology to Saints. On principle they really shouldn't have come anywhere near us but money talks and the player wanted to leave them to come to us. Coutinho will be a Barca player, it's just a case of when and for how much. Hopefully it will be for a lot of money but not until the summer.

As for him being on strike I really hope not and that this is a genuine injury concern that kept him out of the game yesterday. Should he be unavailable for the FA Cup it will not look so good though.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3064 
      Reply #3432: Jan 02, 2018 01:47:24 pm
      I can think of 75 million reasons why we are more open to selling now than we were in the Summer.

Nail on head.......
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,522 posts | 2874 
      Reply #3433: Jan 02, 2018 01:48:50 pm
      Can't believe that it looks like we're softening our stance regarding this.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #3434: Jan 02, 2018 01:51:49 pm
      No player exchange nonsense. Just get the cash, preferably a heavy down payment. Pretty sure, it would be in parts and a hell lot of add-ons.

Lemar for Cou
      Jean Seri for Can
      A front-3 player for Sturridge (Mahrez may be..?)
      Kopite78
      Reply #3435: Jan 02, 2018 01:52:14 pm

Me too Dave

But it makes me  sad that the reason is financial than sporting

I'm perfectly happy to wave goodbye in the summer. Now though... on the  pitch, where we are at... it makes no sense to me

The money will still be there in the summer.. hopefully we aren't kicking ourselves and pissed  off with Thursday night football again because of a financial decision

I actually think Coutinho is replaceable, I dont think it's the potential disaster to sell him as it was Suarez or even Torres because they were focal points in fairly weak squads depth wise.. Coutinho is a quality player when we have more of them and we can just replace him within the squad. As good as he is

January though? It just strikes me as a gamble that doesn't need to be taken
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,512 posts | 4851 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #3436: Jan 02, 2018 01:53:03 pm
      Can't believe that it looks like we're softening our stance regarding this.

Mate,  Barcelona might aswell have been asking Southampton to sell us VVD before asking us directly to sell Coutinho to them.

If we sell then expect the usual leaking of names/replacemwnts and half arsed none attempts to buy them before the window shuts.

But hey, they tried and all that.

Again.
      tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,303 posts | 240 
      Reply #3437: Jan 02, 2018 01:54:06 pm
      he is faking injury 100%....
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,739 posts | 3948 
      Reply #3438: Jan 02, 2018 01:55:03 pm
      I’m warming to FSG but if they sell Coutinho in the winter window I’ll be F***ing livid. It will confirm to me that we have no F***ing ambition at all.
      ruthcity

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #3439: Jan 02, 2018 01:57:46 pm
      January though? It just strikes me as a gamble that doesn't need to be taken

Yes you get the best price in the January window. And we are probably financing the £75m with back to back deals.
      Kopite78
      Reply #3440: Jan 02, 2018 02:00:48 pm
      Yes you get the best price in the January window. And we are probably financing the £75m with back to back deals.

I'm talking a sporting gamble not a transfer fee one

Whatever the difference is though would be offset by champions league over Europa league..
      It will be offset by kudos
      It would be offset by the massive step back we would take if we dont finish top 4 again this season

It's a sporting gamble that doesn't need taking

I'm not saying we're a one man team, I dont think that for a second..  but are we stronger with him in the squad than not? Absolutely.
      Replace him in the  summer with Cl in the bag and a guaranteed continuation of moving forward

If Keita is his replacement then he goes once he's available to play for us. That's not this month

These owners have an odd way of thinking of us moving forward on the  pitch
      Scottbot

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #3441: Jan 02, 2018 02:07:36 pm

Whatever the difference is though would be offset by champions league over Europa league..
      It will be offset by kudos
      It would be offset by the massive step back we would take if we dont finish top 4 again this season

It's a sporting gamble that doesn't need taking

I'm not saying we're a one man team, I dont think that for a second..  but are we stronger with him in the squad than not? Absolutely.
      Replace him in the  summer with Cl in the bag and a guaranteed continuation of moving forward

I'd Keita is his replacement then he goes once he's available to play for us. That's not this month

I just hope FSG can apply this level of logic mate, it's a no-brainer. Having dug in during the summer window and having since reaped the benefits of his best form for the club it would be bonkers to let him go given that Champions League qualification is by no means a guarantee. There will be 5 teams competing for 3 places right up until the last day of the season IMO.

Even if the player is being an arsehole (feigning injury or similar) the best I would offer him is a Keita style deal for a delayed transfer. I am sure such a deal would involve a down-payment to appease any cash-flow pressures the owners might want resolving following the VVD deal transfer.
      ruthcity

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #3442: Jan 02, 2018 02:10:52 pm

It's also back to square one on the sporting front if we can't afford the £75m and require financing.

Talking about odd, after this is done, we'll get squeezed by Monaco if we follow up with acquiring Lemar. And that will be really odd.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,991 posts | 241 
      Reply #3443: Jan 02, 2018 02:11:59 pm
      This deal, if it happens in Jan, does not make sense to anyone.
      He cannot play in CL as he is cup tied. Barcelona are flying in the league and they don't really need him now. Coutinho can easily get an amicable goodbye from us in the summer. He is going to play in the World Cup anyway. Financially, FSG are going to get PL and CL revenues and it is not as if they are pressed for this money which is anyway going to be structured in such a way that they get only 10 mn between now and the summer.

What am I missing?!?!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #3444: Jan 02, 2018 02:14:18 pm
      It's also back to square one on the sporting front if we can't afford the £75m and require financing.

Talking about odd, after this is done, we'll get squeezed by Monaco if we follow up with acquiring Lemar. And that will be really odd.

If we do go for Lemar it'll be before we sell Phil, once Lemar has signed Phil will get his wish, I can't see FSG leaving themselves open or in fact Klopp having their pants pulled down by clubs knowing we have had over a £100 million for Phil & they could dictate terms.
      grewalge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,087 posts | 82 
      Reply #3445: Jan 02, 2018 02:25:37 pm
      Klopp can't speak enough about the importance of a pre-season, if he goes now and we scamper to get someone in now, what's the excuse then ? He is also not the sort of person who will let the Execs just take away his player.

The only logical explanation is if the owners basically told him, 'if you want VVD we need to bring in some cash' hence Cou leaves now. Who know's how it will play out but for now it seems like something that had to be done. sh*t move by the owners but correct call by the boss. 

Having said all that,

Just don't see why Barca won't wait till summer, they can't play him in CL and they don't need him in the league, why pay a hefty premium ?? Just because they can afford to ?
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,545 posts | 3473 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #3446: Jan 02, 2018 02:41:21 pm

Why do people care?  When people say it's not my money when we buy someone why care about how it's financed
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #3447: Jan 02, 2018 02:44:29 pm
      Here we go again. This article is horrific to read because of the website formatting but the text is below:
      http://www.talkaloadofbull.com/en-gb/amp/news/philippe-coutinho-pushes-liverpool-to-consider-a-british/1fy288nv8hev916lh7tx39f8tk?__twitter_impression=true

COUTINHO PUSHES LIVERPOOL TO CONSIDER BRITISH-RECORD DEAL WITH BARCELONA

The 25-year-old's desire to move to Camp Nou has not dwindled and his camp have worked tirelessly on softening the stance of the Merseysiders

Philippe Coutinho has repeated his insistence to trade Liverpool for Barcelona in a potential deal that would comfortably surpass the British transfer record.

The Brazil international, who has been in spellbinding form - scoring 12 goals and supplying eight assists in all competitions this campaign - is resolute on furthering his career at Camp Nou after five years of service on Merseyside.

La Liga’s pacesetters had three bids instantly batted away for the 25-year-old in the summer, the final one of which was a base figure of £82 million bloated by improbable clauses to reach a headline amount of up to £118m.

Given Coutinho's attitude and application since submitting a transfer request in the summer, the playmaker feels it is only fair for the Reds to accede to his request to leave should they receive a significantly improved proposal that would surpass Paul Pogba’s £89m move from Juventus to Manchester United.

Sources close to the No.10 have revealed Liverpool unsuccessfully tried to alter Coutinho’s mind by presenting multiple incentives and a greater wage packet to their highest earner.

Barca’s long-term vision of building around the virtuoso is too attractive for him to ignore and, having won no trophies during his spell at Anfield despite coming close, he believes he owes it to himself to take the next step in his career -  a decision encouraged by family members.

Coutinho’s camp, pushing the Catalan club’s objective, have worked tirelessly to erode the “definitive stance” Liverpool adopted in the last window.

The Merseysiders are more open to their two-time Player of the Season’s departure if Barca, who are having to navigate financial constraints, replace their bluster with a blockbuster offer.

The strong declarations from Liverpool in the summer - when they refused to allow their plans for the season to be derailed on account of Neymar exiting Camp Nou for Paris Saint-Germain in a world-record deal - have been replaced by more ambiguous comments in recent weeks.

Jürgen Klopp noted in August that “in life everything is about timing – whichever club asks early enough. If you ask early enough, you can either switch the plan or whatever. But you cannot come up, close to the start of the season and things like this. It’s like I said: the club is bigger than anybody. That is the most important thing.

“It is about timing. That is how I understand it. And that is all I have to say. Maybe everybody has a price – in the right moment. In the wrong moment? No price.”

Five-and-a-half months of knowing Barca’s aim as well as what the Brazilian desires have allowed Liverpool to better prepare for his exit.

If Barca finally submit a strong proposal to the Reds, there is the possibility of concluding a deal in the winter, which allows Coutinho to seal a switch ahead of 2018-19.

That would not weaken the second half of Liverpool’s campaign as they look to push on in the Champions League and secure a top-four finish domestically.

Whether Barca are geared to table a greatly enhanced version of their last bid in the summer, or if Ernesto Valverde’s side and the midfielder accept an advance arrangement as opposed to one effective immediately, remains to be seen.

There is confidence from those in the Rio-born maestro's circle that an agreement can be reached and despite Nike’s now-deleted gaffe, which advertised a Coutinho customisation of Barca’s current kit on their website, nothing has been finalised yet.

Meanwhile, reports suggesting the Premier League side will take the apparel giants - sponsors of Barca and the player - to court over the error are incorrect. Nike has remained silent on the matter.

Coutinho sat out Liverpool's New Year’s Day victory over Burnley with a minor thigh issue but was in line to be rested regardless given he started the previous five fixtures in a row.

Honestly, if hes going to start this crap again, just sell him, but make sure to turn Barcelona over and extract every last dollar from them (and then a few more for good measure).

Go make someone else a deal they can't refuse for a replacement for him and let's move forward. He's an ungrateful little turd.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,038 posts | 2692 
      Reply #3448: Jan 02, 2018 03:13:50 pm
      He trained as normal this morning. He will play Friday. He will leave in the summer, regardless of when the deal is announced.

I don't think we'll go for Lemar (and probably nobody in Jan.)

Top priorities for summer market will be holding mid, goalkeeper (unless Karius really turns it on between now and then) and right back (if Clyne remains a question mark).
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,374 posts | 1030 
      Reply #3449: Jan 02, 2018 03:14:24 pm
      This deal, if it happens in Jan, does not make sense to anyone.
      He cannot play in CL as he is cup tied. Barcelona are flying in the league and they don't really need him now. Coutinho can easily get an amicable goodbye from us in the summer. He is going to play in the World Cup anyway. Financially, FSG are going to get PL and CL revenues and it is not as if they are pressed for this money which is anyway going to be structured in such a way that they get only 10 mn between now and the summer.

What am I missing?!?!
      Just don't see why Barca won't wait till summer, they can't play him in CL and they don't need him in the league, why pay a hefty premium ?? Just because they can afford to ?
      The only benefit of them getting Coutinho in the winter window is that, should he shine on the World Cup stage, the price would likely be bumped up even more. Add to that the fact that, when next season begins, he would have had half a season under his belt to settle in with them.

Quick Reply