Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Man City?

Simon Mignolet
      12 (21.4%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      3 (5.4%)
      Joel Matip
      3 (5.4%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      2 (3.6%)
      Alberto Moreno
      3 (5.4%)
      Emre Can
      2 (3.6%)
      Jordan Henderson
      3 (5.4%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (1.8%)
      Mohammed Salah
      5 (8.9%)
      Sadio Mane
      8 (14.3%)
      Roberto Firmino
      6 (10.7%)
      James Milner
      1 (1.8%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Dominic Solanke
      7 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Voting closed: Sep 13, 2017 02:32:18 pm

Manchester City 5-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 56327 times
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Re: Manchester City 5-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #621: Sep 09, 2017 04:22:13 pm
      I think we're over reacting a bit.

I'm not sure one can over react to a 0-5 hiding. Today was the inevitable consequence of another Summer of poor planning. We needed two Center Backs, not one, and certainly not one we couldn't get because of a display of contempt and arrogance. Center backs need to play together constantly, they need to form partnerships, and these two just don't play together enough to be a first choice partnership.

We also needed a new Goalkeeper, although many of you disagreed when I said sell the guy while his stock was high. Again, we didn't and again from what little we've seen so far this season, we don't have a Keeper fit for the purpose of becoming an elite club again.

Yes the ref changed the entire dynamic of this game today with a poor, poor decision but going down to ten men doesn't mean you get whalloped. We did and the only reason we did was because City exposed every flaw we showed last season and failing to address those weaknesses and flaws in the Summer was nothing short of criminal.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1544 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #622: Sep 09, 2017 04:26:19 pm
      Anyone saying it was a red card can fuk off too! Mane was watching the ball the whole time and went in fully committed competing for it. No malice in that a fukn accident that's all.
      It has nothing to do with Mane's intent, we all know he didn't mean it. But that's irrelevant, he got sent off because it was dangerous play.

That doesn't mean Mane intended kicking the guy in the face, almost knocking him out and giving him stitches, it means Mane played in such a way as to cause damage on another player.

If that was Lukaku on Mignolet* we'd all be up in arms mate.

* Well, you'd hope so.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1544 
      Reply #623: Sep 09, 2017 04:26:53 pm
      Imo the game was lost in midfield and the first goal is a great argument for that..we got overrun and the fact that Henderson Can and Wijnaldum offer no balance did not help at all..can't help to think 'what could've been' with Coutinho in there even he's not at full speed.
      Good point here. Our midfield was about as effective as Arsenal's two weeks ago.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1544 
      Reply #624: Sep 09, 2017 04:28:03 pm
      Before i get into the game can i ask this. If mane goes for that ball with his head and clashes heads with the keeper is he sent off?
      [/quote]
      Very probably, because a foot in the face always looks worse. You'd be expected to try and win the ball with your head, but not your feet. Not that ball anyways
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #625: Sep 09, 2017 04:28:44 pm
      It has nothing to do with Mane's intent, we all know he didn't mean it. But that's irrelevant, he got sent off because it was dangerous play.

That doesn't mean Mane intended kicking the guy in the face, almost knocking him out and giving him stitches, it means Mane played in such a way as to cause damage on another player.

* Well, you'd hope so.

No we F***ing wouldn't, we'd be pissed off at Mignolet being an idiot and racing out of his box into that situation, and be thanking our F***ing lucky stars we got a sh*t ref to give that decision.

Dangerous play to play the ball outside of the box with your feet and eyes for the ball? 'Kin hell, we are playing football aren't we? Or am I dreaming?

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #626: Sep 09, 2017 04:29:31 pm
      Whats the difference in logic? Mane never took his eyes of the ball no intention to hurt the opponent. Went for the ball keeper ducked down to head the ball and the clash occurs. Is it worthy of red really? If mane goes to head that and they clash heads theres 2 men fown getting treatment a drop ball and no cards

Its a reckless challenge and under the laws of the game he must be sent off. Having said that its very unlucky and totally spoiled the game. I must also say though that Citeh look a very very good team and they'll be pushing for the league this year
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #627: Sep 09, 2017 04:29:49 pm
      I'd keep Trent in for Wednesday and swap in Robbo and big Dejan for Bertie and Ragnar. 

In midfield I'd be tempted to give Chamberlain or Woodburn a run and drop one of Gini and Can - my preference would be Can. I'd keep Phil on the bench to start with - he won't be fully match fit yet.

Yep, Robertson looked a lot more assured in both defence and attack when he played. Not sure what the F**k is going on.

Just give the lad a chance.

With regards to the midfield or lack of... I'm hoping RBL are out of everything come January and we are miraculously still in everything and we can get Naby in early.

We F***ing need something.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #628: Sep 09, 2017 04:30:46 pm

* Well, you'd hope so.
      No Mane played in such a way where he went fully committed trying to win that ball and nothing else.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #629: Sep 09, 2017 04:32:33 pm
      At least the bitters are getting tonked at home by Spurs 3-0 with 20 minutes left, now that IS embarassing.

For us it was a bad day against a very good team and when we lost Mane we completely lost our confidence and shape.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1544 
      Reply #630: Sep 09, 2017 04:33:27 pm
      No we F***ing wouldn't, we'd be pissed off at Mignolet being an idiot and racing out of his box into that situation, and be thanking our F***ing lucky stars we got a sh*t ref to give that decision.
      Actually, I'd be angry at Migs staying on his line and giving the striker the entire goal to aim at in a one on one because he never came off his line to win a 50-50 ball like 95% of keepers do.

Dangerous play to play the ball outside of the box with your feet and eyes for the ball? 'Kin hell, we are playing football aren't we? Or am I dreaming?
      He kicked the guy in the jaw, his boot, studs and all were about 5 1/2 to 6' off the floor, and he all but knocked him out and put stitches in his face. And I don't care what anyone says, no player is going to come off the field of play just to make the tackle look worse. That's nonsense. He came off because he was bludgeoned.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,506 posts | 3457 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #631: Sep 09, 2017 04:33:57 pm
      Funny how the only defence for Mignolet is during matches like these is 'It could have been 7 or 8'. Enough's been said about our defence and with merit too but Mignolet's one of them as well so he rightly should be given a going over.

Not to mention it was one of his aimless kicks that resulted in Man City getting their first goal. Always the catalyst for a sequence of errors is Simon. Just an awful awful keeper and 8 conceded in 3 matches* is entirely in keeping with his ability (and the defence's)

11 in 5 if we're to count Europe.

Do you stalk him ?
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #632: Sep 09, 2017 04:34:05 pm
      No Mane played in such a way where he went fully committed trying to win that ball and nothing else.
      The rulebook says if a player challenges for the ball in a dangerous way, its a red card. He could have broke his neck.
      Make up your own mind on it.... but if he had killed him it would be a lot more than a 3 match ban.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,360 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #633: Sep 09, 2017 04:34:38 pm

I agree with you fully on this. His eyes were on the ball. Never took them off the ball so how can there be  intent to hurt the player? If the keeper heads the ball but his follow through buries mane does he get red?
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #634: Sep 09, 2017 04:35:13 pm

Agreed. If that kind of sh*t is considered dangerous play worthy of straight red then we might as well be playing F***ing chess. What a crock of sh*t for anyone to suggest otherwise.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,360 posts | 2877 
      Reply #635: Sep 09, 2017 04:35:46 pm
      The rulebook says if a player challenges for the ball in a dangerous way, its a red card. He could have broke his neck.
      Make up your own mind on it.... but if he had killed him it would be a lot more than a 3 match ban.

If he killed him their would still have been no intent
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #636: Sep 09, 2017 04:36:16 pm
      Whats the difference in logic? Mane never took his eyes of the ball no intention to hurt the opponent. Went for the ball keeper ducked down to head the ball and the clash occurs. Is it worthy of red really? If mane goes to head that and they clash heads theres 2 men fown getting treatment a drop ball and no cards

One difference is that you get frees against you for high feet. Can argue he's going for the ball, but both his feet are off the ground, so lack of control, his foot was head high, the keeper is not really ducking down, and even though his eyes are on the ball, he can see the keeper coming in to clear with his head. Don't think intent, just very reckless.
      Anyway, most people seem to think it wasn't a red, so not going to fall out over this one ;)
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #637: Sep 09, 2017 04:36:27 pm

* Well, you'd hope so.

Any play could include dangerous play then.

Clattenburg even weighed in and said it was a yellow and a free kick. Nothing more.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #638: Sep 09, 2017 04:37:32 pm

The keeper could have broken his own f**king neck by trying to head the f**king ball out of his f**king feet. Stay in your f**king box if you don't have a f**king clue what you're f**king doing outside of it. Every time two players try to head a ball is dangerous, they could knock each other out cold. It's hypocrisy at its F***ing finest.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1544 
      Reply #639: Sep 09, 2017 04:38:56 pm
      Agreed. If that kind of sh*t is considered dangerous play worthy of straight red then we might as well be playing F***ing chess. What a crock of sh*t for anyone to suggest otherwise.
      Right. And if I kicked you in the jaw, knocked you out and gave you stitches, you'd shake my hand and say well in.

Thing is, you might, I might. But I'd still get a card for dangerous play.

Try reckless instead of dangerous if that fits better. Mane got a red for reckless play

It's got nothing to do with his eye on the ball. He didn't get sent off for not having his eye on the ball, he got sent off because he was reckless and that recklessness caused another player injury.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #640: Sep 09, 2017 04:39:08 pm
      Intent to injure has nothing to do with this, it is a simple question. Was it dangerous.

A) Yes. Red
      B) No. No red

Drop this intent argument out the window.
      When people drive at 150 miles an hour, they don't intend to hurt anybody... but it is not a let off clause.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #641: Sep 09, 2017 04:41:31 pm
      Any play could include dangerous play then.

Clattenburg even weighed in and said it was a yellow and a free kick. Nothing more.
      If Aguero flykicked mignolet in the face and broke his jaw, what card would you see as appropriate?
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #642: Sep 09, 2017 04:41:46 pm
      Intent to injure has nothing to do with this, it is a simple question. Was it dangerous.

A) Yes. Red
      B) No. No red

When people drive at 150 miles an hour, they don't intend to hurt anybody... but it is not a let off clause.

No, you have to consider that the guy was 40 yards outside his goal and Mane, having successfully avoided the offside trap, was well within his rights to go for that ball. If he doesn't everyone rightly questions his commitment at having not made the run. At worst, at absolute worst it was a yellow and even that would be harsh.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,360 posts | 2877 
      Reply #643: Sep 09, 2017 04:44:13 pm

A) Yes. Red
      B) No. No red

Your certainly intent at that speed pal

Quick Reply