Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Alisson Becker (AS Roma)

Read 128661 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Alisson Becker (AS Roma)
      Reply #782: Jul 18, 2018 02:15:45 pm
      I felt sorry for him after the final, but at the end of the day, he was likely never going to be the top end keeper that everyone wanted. If you can improve your team, I think you do it and Karius will either want to fight to show he's worthy of the number 2 position, or he'll fold. If he folds, then he was never good enough for us anyway. If he stays and fights, then he's really not a bad option for a backup keeper?

Wow you changed your tune, ;D, welcome aboard the good keeper train.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,815 posts | 1407 
      Reply #783: Jul 18, 2018 02:23:21 pm
      Interesting how all this has transpired since yesterday. Usually when we hear a deal has been agreed with the team the leg work has already been done with the player, but instead we are hearing that now we have the permission to talk to Alisson. Regardless, if Klopp thinks he's the solution, he has all my trust, and as long as it does not come at the expense of Fekir, as that is a bigger need, i will be 100% behind this move.

Alisson has enough flaws that we all saw over those 7 games or so and is worth nowhere near the amounts being quoted but i imagine Klopp wants to move away from the circus that will follow Karius and the team through the start of the season, because otherwise this is a very anti-Klopp move to make. Do wonder how critics will react the next time Alisson stays glued to his line and someone scores a free header in the 6 yard box and start questioning his transfer fee. We'd be getting a good goalie but not a world class one in the same category as De Gea, Neuer, Courtois or Oblak, and i think people's expectations are that we are.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #784: Jul 18, 2018 02:29:46 pm
      Interesting how all this has transpired since yesterday. Usually when we hear a deal has been agreed with the team the leg work has already been done with the player, but instead we are hearing that now we have the permission to talk to Alisson. Regardless, if Klopp thinks he's the solution, he has all my trust, and as long as it does not come at the expense of Fekir, as that is a bigger need, i will be 100% behind this move.

Alisson has enough flaws that we all saw over those 7 games or so and is worth nowhere near the amounts being quoted but i imagine Klopp wants to move away from the circus that will follow Karius and the team through the start of the season, because otherwise this is a very anti-Klopp move to make. Do wonder how critics will react the next time Alisson stays glued to his line and someone scores a free header in the 6 yard box and start questioning his transfer fee. We'd be getting a good goalie but not a world class one in the same category as De Gea, Neuer, Courtois or Oblak, and i think people's expectations are that we are.

I imagine any mistake that Allison makes will pale into insignificance compared to Karius's and Mignolet's many many mistakes. This is a huge upgrade and I'm delighted, as I'm sure almost the entire fan base are and defenders in the team.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #785: Jul 18, 2018 02:35:12 pm
      Ain't the owner of Roma ex Red Sox?
      CT_LFC

• 6,815 posts | 1407 
      Reply #786: Jul 18, 2018 02:38:15 pm
      Ain't the owner of Roma ex Red Sox?

Not sure but i think they are from Boston, though there's obviously no family and friends discount going on considering the raping we are taking on the transfer fee.
      GegenPressClub
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts | 47 
      Reply #787: Jul 18, 2018 02:39:18 pm
      i was against this signing but now bbc are reporting that we have agreed with roma. so its just matter of time.
      Hope he proves me wrong and he is gonna get my full support for whats that worth.
      Hopefully we have money left to sign fekir

I know what you mean. At least if the stars align, and he gets through the first few months alright with all the pressure of being the world's most expensive keeper and not making a Karius-esque mistake, then there's a solid chance he'll come good.

And that's all we need really. Just good. If our keeper and defenders don't gift our opponents goals like we have been, I'm confident we'll win the league, with our system and attacking talent. But a big fee doesn't change the if to a when, because this is one toxic scenario that Karius and Mignolet have created for anyone to follow.

The pressure will be intense, even more so with the expectation that comes from a high fee. Many other keepers would soon find themselves delivering uncharacteristic howlers coming into this sitch. So if Alisson is just solid this year, and shows some character and leadership, it'll be a great signing, despite the absurd fee. In the end, lots of players can do things to win you games, but no one has more potential to lose you a game than your keeper.

Anyone who signs for our club who isn't an obvious fuckwit (or absolutely hopeless) has my support too.
      Scottbot

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #788: Jul 18, 2018 02:42:02 pm
      But Firmino doesn't actually play as the No 9, that role is taken by Salah on the pitch.

Mmmm I know what you are saying in that he drops deep and allows Salah (and to a lesser extent Mane) to drive into that space but he is still a 9 for me. 12 months ago I would have called him a false 9 but his game has come on massively. Do think Salah would be effective if he was to step into Firmino’d spot?
      GegenPressClub
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts | 47 
      Reply #789: Jul 18, 2018 02:50:28 pm

I agree that expectations are pretty high, and I also don't believe they're warranted. We could do with even just a good goalie though. The cost of having a lousy one is worth much more than paying such an absurd premium.

However, unlike most of these others, I don't think this premium is coming with anything even remotely close to a guarantee if it was accompanied by a De Gea, Courtois, Ederson etc. While I don't think he'll be a Karius, he could well be this year's version of Hugo Lloris, which worries me a bit.

He could easily also end up having a Nick Pope like season though too. Pope doesn't exactly have the protypical traits I'd normally desire in a keeper either, but was solid. I say it a lot but we just need a solid guy we can trust to not likely F**k up hahaha.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #790: Jul 18, 2018 02:52:25 pm
      What a frickin transfer window that was! Will never be bettered surely!?
      and Aldridge
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #791: Jul 18, 2018 02:53:23 pm
      Not sure but i think they are from Boston, though there's obviously no family and friends discount going on considering the raping we are taking on the transfer fee.

Not the best term to describe something. Surely your vocabulary is wide enough to find a better word.

Also, taking their two best players for £100m combined ain't too shabby considering one already pummelled in a record amount of goals.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,452 posts | 8660 
      Reply #792: Jul 18, 2018 02:58:23 pm
      I imagine any mistake that Allison makes will pale into insignificance compared to Karius's and Mignolet's many many mistakes. This is a huge upgrade and I'm delighted, as I'm sure almost the entire fan base are and defenders in the team.

kind of has that Shankly/TV Williams feel to it all, Klopp pulling everyone in one direction.

Get this one done and you'll be like a kid the night before Christmas ;)

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #793: Jul 18, 2018 03:06:34 pm
      kind of has that Shankly/TV Williams feel to it all, Klopp pulling everyone in one direction.

Get this one done and you'll be like a kid the night before Christmas ;)

I will be very happy indeed, because the other players are just bonuses to me, it was GK that was the most important upgrade we needed in my opinion
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,226 posts | 1109 
      Reply #794: Jul 18, 2018 03:13:15 pm
      If y’all had your pick who would u take?

Becker or Courtois?
      CT_LFC

• 6,815 posts | 1407 
      Reply #795: Jul 18, 2018 03:19:02 pm

Becker or Courtois?

Courtois is the obvious answer. 26yo and in an elite tier of goalkeepers with a proven track record in the premier league.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,452 posts | 8660 
      Reply #796: Jul 18, 2018 03:23:01 pm
      I will be very happy indeed, because the other players are just bonuses to me, it was GK that was the most important upgrade we needed in my opinion

Over the last year and a half Klopp's been addressing most of the area's we fell short in.

Definitely not shouting my mouth off yet, but feeling very confident about the coming season.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,664 posts | 491 
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,452 posts | 8660 
      Reply #798: Jul 18, 2018 03:30:15 pm
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #799: Jul 18, 2018 03:31:54 pm

Becker or Courtois?

Probably take Courtois at half the price if I'm being honest. 
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #800: Jul 18, 2018 03:33:58 pm
      Courtois is the obvious answer. 26yo and in an elite tier of goalkeepers with a proven track record in the premier league.

How is Courtois the obvious answer when he doesn’t want to be in England anymore? He wants to be back in Madrid with his family, even if he was signed then after a year he’d still be wanting out and back to Spain.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #802: Jul 18, 2018 03:37:16 pm
      CT_LFC

• 6,815 posts | 1407 
      Reply #803: Jul 18, 2018 03:37:22 pm
      How is Courtois the obvious answer when he doesn’t want to be in England anymore? He wants to be back in Madrid with his family, even if he was signed then after a year he’d still be wanting out and back to Spain.

Because it's a simply hypothetical as to which goalie i would take and nothing to do with current circumstances? at least that's how i took it, because Chelsea would never sell to us and strengthen a direct top 4 rival.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #804: Jul 18, 2018 03:39:03 pm
      No Diego to start a player thread?

Quick Reply