Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Red Star?

Alisson
      3 (4.5%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      3 (4.5%)
      Joel Matip
      3 (4.5%)
      Andy Robertson
      18 (27.3%)
      Adam Lallana
      3 (4.5%)
      James Milner
      3 (4.5%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      2 (3%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      1 (1.5%)
      Mohammed Salah
      8 (12.1%)
      Sadio Mane
      4 (6.1%)
      Joe Gomez
      5 (7.6%)
      Roberto Firmino
      3 (4.5%)
      Divock Origi
      10 (15.2%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Voting closed: Nov 10, 2018 07:49:24 pm

Red Star Belgrade 2-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 30570 times
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,290 posts | 1664 
      Re: Red Star Belgrade 2-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #598: Nov 06, 2018 09:25:13 pm
      Some seriously poor Maths going on in this forum
      Harrisimo

• 8,282 posts | 1396 
      Reply #599: Nov 06, 2018 09:26:35 pm
      I am a big Hendo a fan and haven't been impressed by Fabhino but I would go with Gini,Kieta and Fab in midfield and also play Shaqiri we need fresh blood and fresh ideas into the side

Think we're all Hendo fans tonight..
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #600: Nov 06, 2018 09:27:42 pm
      Jürgen Klopp's verdict on Red Star defeat

Jürgen Klopp admitted Liverpool struggled to recover from the blow of Red Star Belgrade's first-half goals in the 2-0 Champions League defeat in Serbia.

Milan Pavkov’s seven-minute double settled the Group C tie in the home side’s favour at the Rajko Mitic Stadium and left the section finely balanced with two matchdays remaining.

Read Klopp’s assessment of the game below…

On what went wrong for Liverpool…

The start was pretty intense, that was clear. Red Star wanted to strike back, which they did; they brought in a few new players, very important players for them obviously. We had the first big chance – Daniel [Sturridge] with a very big one. Each goal in a game like this leads the game in a specific direction. We gave them too many set-pieces before they scored, so they could kind of train it in a proper match, and then they scored with a header after a corner. The second goal was kind of out of the blue; we had the ball and gave it away. That’s not cool in a game like this, in an atmosphere like this, in situation like this, if you have to play your best football in a kind of negative mood. It was a blow, of course.

We tried to change for the second half. We had moments in the box, we had scruffy situations twice with the ball on the line and they cleared the situation. If you score in a situation like that, everything can change. But we didn’t score. In the second half we were very dominant and didn’t give a lot of counter-attacks away. We had moments, we had kind of nearly chances; the biggest chances were in the last two or three minutes, before that not enough. If – a big if – you score early in the second half the game can change, but it didn’t. So we have to admit, congratulations Red Star, well deserved. They have the three points, we have nothing.

On how much the atmosphere influenced the game…

I don’t know. It was a good football atmosphere; I don’t think it would have been impossible to perform, to be honest. It was not that we had to be afraid or whatever, it was a football atmosphere. Whatever they sang, we don’t understand. It was only loud. I don’t know exactly. The atmosphere, singing-wise and noise-wise or whatever, was not a problem. But the atmosphere after the second goal especially, in the whole club, if you want, they could now smell it. At half-time we walked a long way to the dressing room and they were all in a very positive mood. We were actually the other way around.

They didn’t give up fighting, they stayed concentrated and they gave everything. They had cramps – three, four or five players had cramps. For us, it was not clicking, it was not easy. We never really came back into the situations. We had the moments. We played good balls in, in the right moment. But, similar to the first half, in different situations we had the ball in the box and we could not really finish or they got a leg in between. I saw, unfortunately, a few games like this already and it’s really difficult to find your mojo back, that you can do the right thing in the right moment very naturally. You always try to sort the problem you have on the pitch; you don’t find solutions, you sort problems on the pitch – and that’s a completely different situation.

On whether Liverpool were ‘surprised’ by Red Star’s approach…

We were not surprised. If you saw the first game, it was similar – it was wild, direct, stuff like that. In Liverpool we controlled the game and tonight we didn’t. They were aggressive, very aggressive, in all parts – but they were aggressive in the last game as well, we only did better. We made life a bit too easy tonight for Belgrade, that’s the main problem. As I said, they deserved it with the passion they fought [with]. In the end you have to score goals in a game and if you think about how often we were in the box and around, that’s what you have to do in a game but you have to make the last decision in the right way and we didn’t. That’s why we lost 2-0.

On the performance of Pavkov…

We know he changed the game at Salzburg when he came on, that was impressive that day. Tonight when we saw he would play, for us it was clear it would be in a specific way different because he is a  proper target player for Red Star. He played a fantastic game; I think for the second goal he was a bit surprised himself it went in but he hit the ball really well in that moment. He fought, they all fought, really hard and that’s why I say, well deserved.

On whether he’s concerned at Liverpool losing both away games so far in the group…

It made sense to make a few changes, a few we had to make and a few we wanted to. In the end, it’s easy to say it didn’t work out. Of course, we need to make sure it will not happen again otherwise it will be difficult because the next game is already an away game again and the last one is a very difficult home game against Napoli. We have to make sure in Paris we do better. There were a lot of moments when we could get in control of the game and we didn’t do it, we made the wrong decisions. I don’t think that’s anything to do with [playing] away or home, it just happened. We will talk about that and will do it better 100 per cent, but for tonight we can’t change it anymore, unfortunately.

Offal

Harrisimo

• 8,282 posts | 1396 
      Reply #601: Nov 06, 2018 09:40:00 pm
      Need to hold our nerve here. It's a blow but if we lose the plot it might get worse. I'm sure Klopp won't bottle it or panic the way a few on here have.

It's the Champions league. This is not an easy group. We need to improve obviously but we must not panic. Nothing is decided.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #602: Nov 06, 2018 09:40:42 pm
      I felt that was our worst performance this season. No intensity to the side and no pace moving the ball at all, especially 2nd half when we needed to chase the game we played the same way. Lallana didn't offer the creative spark we hope for while Milner just fouled players and Gini second match in a row being a no-show though attacking trio continues to looks off pace.

We made it difficult on ourselves going forward in this competition with this result so I hope this might be a turning point in the season like Spurs lost last season.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,241 posts | 921 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #603: Nov 06, 2018 09:44:20 pm
      Don't know about heavy metal football that was like Nora Jones football
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #604: Nov 06, 2018 09:47:18 pm
      Need to hold our nerve here. It's a blow but if we lose the plot it might get worse. I'm sure Klopp won't bottle it or panic the way a few on here have.

It's the Champions league. This is not an easy group. We need to improve obviously but we must not panic. Nothing is decided.

Agree. The only game that could've been classed as easy in this group for PSG, Napoli and ourselves when the draw was made was Red Star at home.
      DanMann

• 5,756 posts | 884 
      Reply #605: Nov 06, 2018 09:47:51 pm
      Sometimes I wish our own fans would be able to have a reality check.

I've read numerous comments from people who evidently did not watch the replay of the Sturridge chance. Even Klopp himself.

Here it is. It is very clear that the ball is firstly deflected, and then when travelling at speed bounces up at knee height. Sturridge has to adjust his feet and get a swing of the leg, but the ball is already too high for him to make the proper connection and keep it down.

For goodness sake. Watch the replay and stop spouting the same rubbish all night.  :f_steam:

This was not a golden chance, easy chance etc. etc.

https://streamable.com/lai7e

Salah had an 'easier' opportunity to score at the end of the game and he hit it straight at the keeper. I haven't read any suggestions that he should be 'dropped' and be an 'impact sub only'. Ridiculous bias.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #606: Nov 06, 2018 09:50:23 pm
      Nah I am going with Owen he blew it
      DanMann

• 5,756 posts | 884 
      Reply #607: Nov 06, 2018 09:55:07 pm
      Yeah well, the evidence proves otherwise.
      LFC PAUL
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 46 
      Reply #608: Nov 06, 2018 09:57:01 pm
      1-1 final in Naples, that's given us a big break.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,190 posts | 4405 
      Reply #609: Nov 06, 2018 09:58:16 pm

What about his two other chances of teeing up team mates?

I doubt it was the one missed chance the reason he was hooked at half time. He was playing for himself, although to be fair the front 3 have looked like that most of the season.
      tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,291 posts | 237 
      Reply #610: Nov 06, 2018 10:00:02 pm
      So Napoli - PSG draw, its still open group with 2 games remaining with PSG-LFC next. Avoid defeat and we are in good position. If we lose, than we need 2 goals win against napoli. (presume red star will not win in napoli)

1 Liverpool6
      2 Napoli 6
      3 Paris Saint Germain 5
      4 FK Crvena Zvezda 4
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,449 posts | 4584 
      Reply #611: Nov 06, 2018 10:00:11 pm
      2nd in the group...

It’s in our own hands..
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #612: Nov 06, 2018 10:00:25 pm

to you yes maybe but it was harder to hit it over the bar than score from there. He then went into selfish mode and could have easily set up Lallana and Trent but he wanted to make amends for his fuckup.
      YOu wont find many post from me about Daniel other than positives ones he is our most natural finisher since Fowler but maybe lack of game time or injuries means this isn't the Daniel of 3 or 4 years ago...sadly
      DanMann

• 5,756 posts | 884 
      Reply #613: Nov 06, 2018 10:02:23 pm

What about his two other chances of teeing up team mates?

I doubt it was the one missed chance the reason he was hooked at half time. He was playing for himself, although to be fair the front 3 have looked like that most of the season.

Don't dispute that. It happens frequently. It also happened in the game... to both Salah and Mane who also should have presented their team mates with the ball.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,379 posts | 2823 
      Reply #614: Nov 06, 2018 10:02:41 pm
      So win in Paris and it should be done, draw there and any win against Napoli will do, lose and it has to be by two clear goals on the final day.

Achievable but not if we play like we've done so far this season.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,297 posts | 764 
      Reply #615: Nov 06, 2018 10:03:23 pm
      Awful performance, in my view, never looked like scoring. Red Star Belgrade deserved their victory.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Re: Live: Red Star v Liverpool
      Reply #616: Nov 06, 2018 10:06:21 pm
      People will no doubt pick out those players who fit their agendas, the simple fact is the whole team and klopp were to blame for this. End of story
      Fact is when you play certain players it changes the dynamic of the team... Never should have started Sturrigde, should have stuck with Firmino, Never should have started Lallana has no end product and should have taken Shaqiri with them
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,190 posts | 4405 
      Reply #617: Nov 06, 2018 10:08:11 pm
      Just seen a stat Adam Lallana has 1 goal and 1 assist in the last two years.  :o

* Rushes off to check if true*
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Re: 2-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #618: Nov 06, 2018 10:09:42 pm
      It isn't the harsh treatment from the fans but the players safety which was at risk. Right decision by whomever who took it.
      Risk from what..? was a specific threat made..? and if there was the game should have been moved and played behind close doors
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #619: Nov 06, 2018 10:11:36 pm

It doesn’t fella - it’s a rank bad miss but so was Sadio’s.

It happens - doesn’t make either a bad player but the difference an out of form Bobby made 2nd half to our ability to retain / interlink was stark.

The team loses something without him in this set-up. Daniel isn’t a viable alternative for me - useful option in the squad but starting him means a change of system.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,449 posts | 4584 
      Reply #620: Nov 06, 2018 10:12:22 pm
      Risk from what..? was a specific threat made..? and if there was the game should have been moved and played behind close doors

No threat needs to be made towards a player specifically, however it only takes one idiot to start a chain reaction & for playing behind closed doors this would still not protect the player...

Quick Reply