Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Wolves?

Simon Mignolet
      0 (0%)
      Rafael Camacho
      5 (4.6%)
       Fabinho
      33 (30.6%)
      Dejan Lovren
      2 (1.9%)
      James Milner
      2 (1.9%)
      Alberto Moreno
      1 (0.9%)
      Curtis Jones
      0 (0%)
      Naby Keïta
      1 (0.9%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      4 (3.7%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      2 (1.9%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Ki-Jana Hoever
      58 (53.7%)

Total Members Voted: 108

Voting closed: Jan 11, 2019 09:37:45 pm

Wolverhampton Wanderers 2-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 33398 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: Wolverhampton Wanderers 2-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #851: Jan 08, 2019 02:11:24 am
      Late to the party here as I had to watch  it on demand following work over here.

Klopp did the right thing with his team selection. He rested key players. He gave other first team players a chance to play. He gave some debuts to kids. And don't forget we were a fingtertip save away from equalizing late in the match. No question the performance was dodgy, but I think the idea that this will hurt us on Saturday and going forward, is a misconception. We had to do this tonight after the schedule our key players have been keeping for the past few weeks.

The bit with Lovren's injury was bizarre. Klopp said afterward he was supposed to be on the bench tonight but some illness in the squad in the past day changed that - so who was the other center back going to be? Then Dej walks off the pitch with the game still going on. You could see Klopp give him an earful about that. I think from that and the way he responded to questions afterward, Klopp is not happy with Lovren at the moment. Something not adding up about this injury but I don't know what it is. I wouldn't even be shocked if he's pronounced fit enough to play this weekend. Who knows?

Other performances:
      Mignolet - seems like he could have had a better effort on the winner, which admittedly was a laser. His  distribution was off at times, but think we should have told him to quit playing it to defenders, given the lineup inexperience.
      Camacho - Definitely has potential, and I don't think hurt us at any point. Good debut.
      Hoever - Same as everyone else here. I've seen the future and his name is Ki-Jana (and he won't be starting in the Champions League  :) ).
      Fabinho: I thought he was a commanding presence in the back and if Lovren can't play Saturday, he seems the best option. I hate to take him out of midfield, but we have cover there, none at center back. Good in the air as well. Becoming a real leader for us.
      Moreno: If you can't say anything nice about someone....WAIT - there a moment in the 2nd half when Wolves tried to play a through ball, and it ricocheted ff Albi's face to stop the move. Don't think he knew anything about that one, but yeah....well done.
      Milner: Did better as the game went on. Think he was trying to do too much and maybe needed to trust some guys more. His service was largly poor though.
      Keita: I was disappointed with Naby tonight. Thought he disappeared in midfield for much of the game. Not sure what is going on there.
      Jones: Showed some good signs early but became a liability in the 2nd half with giving the ball away. Still a good prospect for us.
      Shaqiri: He is more suited to make that late impact when teams are sitting back against us. More a forward than an out-and-out midfielder. Still almost equalized.
      Origi: Thought he was better than Sturridge in terms of off the ball movement and took his goal well. Not great, but decent as a backup striker for the rest of the year.
      Sturridge: Disappointing. The bit about him not doing well because of the team picked around him? How many of us would give our arms for the chance to play for Liverpool? How many of us will ever dream of making the kind of wages he is paid to put in a good effort.  I don't care if he has to play up front with Roses McDiff and Tubsy McGee. His job is to put forth maximum effort and tonight he did not do that.
      Bobby and Mo made us more dangerous when they came on.

Already looking forward to the next match.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #852: Jan 08, 2019 03:01:20 am
      Well that was sh*te.

Regardless of where we are in the league or what we're doing in Europe, it's disappointing seeing how we treat this competition. Jurgens record in the fa cup is appalling.

The FA are partly to blame though. The cup has certainly lost its magic in the last decade. If they boosted the prize money and gave the winners the last champions league place instead of whoever finishes fourth in the league then it will soon become competitive again.

But that's a different topic and argument so back to us. I was obviously disappointed with the starting 11 as I'm sure we all were. Mignolet, Moreno and Lovren in the same back line gave me horrendous flashbacks.

The first half is up there with the worst halfs of football we've seen under Jürgen. No fluidity at all. Football was abysmal. Didn't look interested in going forward at all we were just happy messing around at the back.

The game is stale and it needed a goal but unfortunately it came to wolves. Milner had a nightmare losing possession how he did. Fabinho shouldn't have dived in either. You're taught as soon as you start kicking a ball never to dive in. If you do dive in then you have to take the ball and if you miss the ball then you wipe the player out. It's basics. I'm not being too harsh on fabinho because he was one of our better players tonight and this goal wasn't really down to him, but come on lad, you can't dive in there. So Milner tracks back and it's one of the weirdest things I've ever seen. He makes no attempt to get across to the lad who scored until it was far too late and he was easily blocked off. A shocking, sloppy goal to concede.

So we go in at half time 1 down and the only positive to take is that the lad who replaced Lovren did a very good job for such a young kid.

Second half begins and we're slightly better but that's not saying much because we couldn't have gotten any worse. Divock scores a good goal out of nothing really and we're somehow level.

That's when I thought we'd go through the gears and go on and win but nope. Wolves then score a goal out of nothing themselves which is being described as a thirty yard wonder strike.  Now maybe I'm being harsh on Simon here, but I think he should be saving that. The shot is low, far out, it's on his side and it's not struck with any insane power, just an average hit really. I think Alisson saves that quite comfortably to honest which we probably take for granted now.  It was a decent hit by neves but yeah, as I say, I think our number 1 saves that and that's the difference in having a world class keeper nowadays.

We make a couple of changes and bring on Salah and Bobby and although we looked a bit better, we still weren't good enough and we deserved to get knocked out for putting on such a sh*t show and stinking the place out. Very disappointing.

So to summarise, Mignolet had no real clangers like he usually does but to be honest, I can't wait to see the back of him.

Moreno was awful once again. He is another one I can't wait to see the back of. I don't want him to play for us again and after that, I don't think he will.

Lovren is out. It's never great seeing a player get injured but I think it could be a blessing for our league results. I'd much rather have fabinho alongside VVD who I trust far more even though he's out of position.

Fabinho. Made a couple of mistakes but in general I thought he was solid and played well.

Camacho. He did ok. Nothing better, nothing worse, just ok.

Hoever. Played well and settled in when he came on.

Milner. Very poor. Wasn't his night at all. Made the mistake that led to their first goal. Struggled playing with two static/crap forwards.

Keita. Showed once again a couple of glimpses. I can see the player in him. He's somebody who can run with the ball and go past people for fun. Once he gets a proper run in this team I've got no doubt what so ever he will be a massive player for us.  That said, he drifted in and out the game and never really got a grip of it. Could have and should have done better.

Shaqiri. Didn't look interested to me. Probably his worst game in a red shirt so far.

Jones. Thought he was poor and struggled to get in to it. Like the other midfielders though, he found it difficult playing with the two forwards who offered us abolutely F**k all. I felt sorry for jones and the other midfielders because any midfielder in the world needs a forward to make a run or to link up with and neither Sturridge or origi did that.

Origi - apart from his goal did F**k all. sh*te performance. He's not good enough for us even as back up. I personally think he's more suited to play out wide as a RW and do a job similar to what dirk kuyt did. He's not good enough as a CF that's for sure.

Sturridge - didn't give a sh*t. Didn't try. Obviously doesn't care about getting in our first 11.  I love Danny but that's because of what he did 4-5 years ago now. He's not that player any more. Yes he's still got quality but his legs have gone. He can't get in behind the defence any more. I find it strange that some want to keep him on. I want him off the wage bill and to bring in a younger, fresher and a hungrier player in who will run through brick walls for us. Daniel won't.

One other thing I found strange was that lallana didn't play. Is he injured again? I wasn't aware he was if so. But I couldn't help but think during the game that the reason he's not playing is because maybe he's off somewhere this month?

Anyway. Just a sad day for us today. It's sad to see how sh*t the fa cup has gone. It's sad to see that we don't give a sh*t about it. It's sad that we've lost a bit of momentum now. It's sad that we've still got players on our books who shouldn't have ever played for Liverpool football club in the first place. It's sad that we're not in the hat for the next round. Sad to see other reds making petty excuses. Just sh*te.

Suppose we have to win the league now to justify those silly reds who don't give a sh*t about tonight's result.
      If we don't go on and win the league then they're going to look like tits really aren't they.

Brighton next. Nothing but three points. Come on reds let's get back on F***ing track.

Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,654 posts | 482 
      Reply #853: Jan 08, 2019 03:30:02 am
      Played 2 in 2019. Lost both. Where is the confidence now you F**king moron.

Lost while knowing we played youngsters is gonna have such a bad affect on the players like Salah, Mane, Firmino, Alisson, Robertson etc  :laugh:

Do yourself a favour troll, and kindly leave the keyboard aside.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #854: Jan 08, 2019 07:03:57 am
      Which fans don’t care ? I’m interested to know because there were thousands in that ground tonight who most certainly did give a Fck .

A couple of thousand in a 100 million fanbase is like a drop in the ocean mate
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,928 posts | 3401 
      Reply #855: Jan 08, 2019 07:09:04 am
      How’s the overreacting going ?

We played a pretty much third strength team including some very young players because we needed to rest and there were some illness and injury issues

We played a pretty much full strength Wolves side and nearly came away with a draw

It was no surprise there was no fluidity and players were all over the place

Time to move on
      LMW
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 364 posts | 112 
      Reply #856: Jan 08, 2019 07:54:52 am
      I don’t understand what team some people expected Klopp to select.

Salah, Firmino, Mane, VVD and Robertson all were in desperate need of a rest, they’ve played almost every game this season and we’ve just been through a fixture-filled December period. If one of the above starts and gets injured, I’m sure some fans would point fingers at Klopp as to why he would risk star men in the 3rd round of the FA Cup.

However, it’s alarming that we don’t have any strength in depth, particularly in defence and attack. We haven’t got the squad like Citeh that can swap out 6-7 players and still field a very strong team. This result was inevitable as soon as we seen Wolves selected their full strength team.

A positive note is that our fixtures are now less congested, specifically around our game against Bayern in Feb.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,348 posts | 1622 
      Reply #857: Jan 08, 2019 08:05:17 am
      A couple of thousand in a 100 million fanbase is like a drop in the ocean mate

Maybe so but I’d rather take in the views of the regular match going fans than the arm chair brigade .
      That’s not aimed at you btw
      « Last Edit: Jan 08, 2019 08:40:33 am by andylfcynwa »
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #858: Jan 08, 2019 08:08:10 am
      No but being a first class prat is. Definitions from the dictionary aren't needed when everyone knows exactly what the treble means.
       Why do you even bother making an agenda out of this, i'm sure you know as well as anyone else.
      Some people think the treble is UCL+FA cup+League.
      Others think it's League cup+Europa League+FA cup.
      Somebody posted the definition is any 3 trophies. Where's the clarity on that if some trophies actually don't count in this "any". There's no agenda, I just don't understand the logic there.
      « Last Edit: Jan 08, 2019 08:13:00 am by Ribapuru »
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,928 posts | 3401 
      Reply #859: Jan 08, 2019 08:12:41 am
      do they?
      Some people think the treble is UCL+FA cup+League.
      Others think it's League cup+Europa League+FA cup.
      Somebody posted the definition is any 3 cups. Where's the clarity on that if some cups actually don't count on this "any". There's no agenda, I just don't understand the logic there.

The community shield is a glorified pre season friendly simple as that - doesn’t count in anyone’s lists of honours - only tbe Mancs started to count it when they wanted to be above us in the trophy list.

A treble is winning three trophies that count

League
      CL
      Europa
      FA Cup
      League Cup

Nothing else beyond that matters
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #860: Jan 08, 2019 08:14:56 am
      The community shield is a glorified pre season friendly simple as that - doesn’t count in anyone’s lists of honours - only tbe Mancs started to count it when they wanted to be above us in the trophy list.

A treble is winning three trophies that count

League
      CL
      Europa
      FA Cup
      League Cup

Nothing else beyond that matters
      this is where open to interpretation comes in. It says "any". Community shield is documented as a minor trophy. This list you produced is pure opinion without any real documentation.

EDIT: Competitions which consist of a single match or a two-leg match (e.g. the FA Community Shield, Irish FA Charity Shield, Supercopa de España, Trophée des Champions, the Recopa Sudamericana, the UEFA Super Cup or the Intercontinental Cup) are not normally counted as part of a treble.

I found this now, albeit Wikipedia.. but it's better than nothing. When somebody said we won a treble, the term "any" wasn't particular clarified. It's actually not "any" because it has exceptions. According to these definitions, we have won a treble. I'd still like to see the documentation somewhere else than Wikipedia. Fact and opinions aren't the same. I'm a stickler for categorization at times.
      « Last Edit: Jan 08, 2019 08:31:18 am by Ribapuru »
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,928 posts | 3401 
      Reply #861: Jan 08, 2019 08:18:22 am
      this is where open to interpretation comes in. It says "any". Community shield is documented as a minor trophy. This list you produced is pure opinion without any real documentation.

It’s not open to any interpretation at all - Community Shield is a pre season friendly and has always been that way - it’s a game for charity

The rest are all trophies each team in that competition fights for

If you understood football beyond a games console then you will understand the point but you don’t.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #862: Jan 08, 2019 08:21:16 am
      It’s not open to any interpretation at all - Community Shield is a pre season friendly and has always been that way - it’s a game for charity

The rest are all trophies each team in that competition fights for

If you understood football beyond a games console then you will understand the point but you don’t.
      I edited my post now.

Edit: I've read this in the independent.

Five teams have completed the 'perfect' treble - winning the league, main domestic cup and the most prestigious European cup all in one season. We also take a look at the other European sides to lift three trophies (including a European cup) in a season, but made up of a different combination of trophies.

It seems there is such thing as a perfect treble and a regular treble.
      « Last Edit: Jan 08, 2019 08:38:51 am by Ribapuru »
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #863: Jan 08, 2019 08:45:41 am
      I edited my post now.

Edit: I've read this in the independent.

Five teams have completed the 'perfect' treble - winning the league, main domestic cup and the most prestigious European cup all in one season. We also take a look at the other European sides to lift three trophies (including a European cup) in a season, but made up of a different combination of trophies.

It seems there is such thing as a perfect treble and a regular treble.

A treble for an English club is League, FA Cup and CL and with Klopp in charge we will never do it as he clearly has a very low opinion of the FA Cup, now whether you agree with him on that or not is irrelevant as it a demonstrable fact that in each of the years in charge Klopp has fielded very weak teams in the competition and been knocked out fairly early. For some weird reason he seems to value the League cup more than the FA Cup, perhaps its down to the time of the season it gets played etc.

Anyway disappointing game yesterday but in all honesty when I saw that teamsheet I knew we'd lose, barring a miracle, I just hope the young lads did not get to disheartened, there is some talent there but they were clearly overwhelmed yesterday.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #864: Jan 08, 2019 09:02:37 am
      A treble for an English club is League, FA Cup and CL and with Klopp in charge we will never do it as he clearly has a very low opinion of the FA Cup, now whether you agree with him on that or not is irrelevant as it a demonstrable fact that in each of the years in charge Klopp has fielded very weak teams in the competition and been knocked out fairly early. For some weird reason he seems to value the League cup more than the FA Cup, perhaps its down to the time of the season it gets played etc.

Anyway disappointing game yesterday but in all honesty when I saw that teamsheet I knew we'd lose, barring a miracle, I just hope the young lads did not get to disheartened, there is some talent there but they were clearly overwhelmed yesterday.
      It's easy to understand why he did this. It's cheaper to drop out some cups than invest in a treble winning side. Just going for two cups makes business sense when considering prize money and revenue in return to transfer fees. He's not going to admit that, but part of his job is to turn over a profit. We have the world's most expensive centre back and goalkeeper, but we are still in a net transfer profit.

Mignolet, Milner, Lovren, Lallana don't look like they can be relied on and a couple of players gone this window already. We are in clear need of reinforcements, doubt we'll get them because Klopp takes longer to sign players.. but as a result most of his transfers are successful.

We started the season well, but I'm worried about the depth we have to end it well.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,928 posts | 3401 
      Reply #865: Jan 08, 2019 09:02:58 am

Or last night he was hampered by illnesses and injuries to the squad

I have no doubt that if he played a strong team and we lost players like Salah and VVD and Mane to injury then internet fans like you would be the first to point fingers

All this talk of the treble - we want the league, the domestic cups whilst nice are irrelevant - we don’t have the strength of city’s squad to be able to compete in five fronts

The young lads would have loved that last night and walked off with their heads held high buzzing
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,928 posts | 3401 
      Reply #866: Jan 08, 2019 09:04:18 am
      It's easy to understand why he did this. It's cheaper to drop out dendrochronology clubs than invest in a treble winning side. Just going for two cups makes business sense when considering prize money and revenue in return to transfer fees. He's not going to admit that, but party of his job is to turn over a profit. We have the world's most expensive centre back and goalkeeper, but we are still in a net transfer profit.

Mignolet, Milner, Lovren, Lallana don't look like they can be relied on and a couple of players gone this window already. We are in clear need of reinforcements, doubt we'll get them because Klopp takes longer to sign players.. but as a result most of his transfers are successful.

You make up new sh*te every single day - give it a rest for one day please
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #867: Jan 08, 2019 09:04:26 am
      '84 was better
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #868: Jan 08, 2019 09:07:06 am
      Regardless, if we had the right depth we wouldn't be complaining about that.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #869: Jan 08, 2019 09:09:35 am
      You make up new sh*te every single day - give it a rest for one day please
      It is part of his job. It's a cold hard fact, if you don't like it then tough. FSG are in net profit from transfers, I'm 100% sure it's cheaper for them to not reinforce the team than to go out and actually win the 'perfect' treble.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,972 posts | 3057 
      Reply #870: Jan 08, 2019 09:10:38 am

I have no doubt that if he played a strong team and we lost players like Salah and VVD and Mane to injury then internet fans like you would be the first to point fingers

All this talk of the treble - we want the league, the domestic cups whilst nice are irrelevant - we don’t have the strength of city’s squad to be able to compete in five fronts

The young lads would have loved that last night and walked off with their heads held high buzzing

Tried to stay outta this - mainly because it’s been manufactured for attention seeking.

A treble is technically any 3 competitive in season competitions.

However - I am old school - as great as 2001 was (and it was) I always felt a bit uncomfortable claiming it.

For me, growing up in 70s/80s you would’ve got laughed at for claiming a treble without the league.

So - personally - I believe it’s the League and 2 cups in the same season.

I absolutely accept I am in the minority and 2001 was still boss.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,928 posts | 3401 
      Reply #871: Jan 08, 2019 09:11:17 am
      Regardless, if we had the right depth we wouldn't be complaining about that.

We played without 9 regular first team players and only just got beat by a full strength Wolves team who have caused problems to all the other top teams in the league.

Only City can Field a very strong second team due to unlimited funds and most sensible people understand that
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #872: Jan 08, 2019 09:13:48 am
      We played without 9 regular first team players and only just got beat by a full strength Wolves team who have caused problems to all the other top teams in the league.

Only City can Field a very strong second team due to unlimited funds and most sensible people understand that

Even then City struggled. Look at how bad they were with Silva, KDB and Fernandinho all out a couple of weeks ago - they lost back to back games vs Palace and Leicester.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,928 posts | 3401 
      Reply #873: Jan 08, 2019 09:14:36 am
      It is part of his job. It's a cold hard fact, if you don't like it then tough. FSG are in net profit from transfers, I'm 100% sure it's cheaper for them to not reinforce the team than to go out and actually win the 'perfect' treble.

Shut up - he job isn’t to make a profit - stop trolling

Quick Reply