Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Atletico?

Adrián
      6 (7.8%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      3 (3.9%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      4 (5.2%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      32 (41.6%)
      Jordan Henderson
      6 (7.8%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      16 (20.8%)
      Mohammed Salah
      7 (9.1%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (1.3%)
      Roberto Firmino
      2 (2.6%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Takumi Minamino
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Voting closed: Mar 15, 2020 10:33:10 pm

Liverpool 2-3 Atletico Madrid (AET): In game and Post Match discussion

Read 39024 times
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Re: Liverpool 2-3 Atletico Madrid (AET): In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #667: Mar 11, 2020 11:04:35 pm
      I love all 3 of the front 3, but to not look at upgrading upfront is foolhardy. If we wanna truly be great for years to come we have to make some hard decisions and spend. Shankly and Paisley did it, it IMO if we are to evolve Klopp must consider it. Not saying any or washed up, just saying weigh all options

Competition is the great driver for improvement.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #668: Mar 11, 2020 11:05:05 pm
      If you watch it back you can see Virgil and a few others instructing him to basically take a touch and play it out to the left where there wasn’t a single Atletico player. They are all pointing out towards Robbo.

Yep. He sh*t himself basically and probably because he isn't very comfortable on the ball.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,284 posts | 1664 
      Reply #669: Mar 11, 2020 11:08:39 pm
      Not a great side AM won about 4 games all Season away from home. Away goal so crucial sh*t rule and should be binned
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #670: Mar 11, 2020 11:08:48 pm
      Yep. He sh*t himself basically and probably because he isn't very comfortable on the ball.

You’d think the amount of times he used to just hoof the ball for West Ham he’s at least be able to be wild upon for that.

https://mobile.twitter.com/OptaJoe/status/1237864971058343936
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #671: Mar 11, 2020 11:08:54 pm
      Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson on BT Sport:

"Obviously we were really disappointed with that result. I thought overall our performance was good, our intensity was good as we spoke about before the game. We put everything into that game so we are bitterly disappointed especially with the goals we conceded. We were largely pleased with our performance tonight but those goals were disappointing.

"We've experienced situations like this over the last few years and we know how important it is to stay focused right until the end, that lapse in concentration can really cost you. We deserved to go through based on the whole performance, so we are obviously very disappointed.

"All we can focus on is our performance level, and to have conceded those goals isn't like us. We're disappointed but we'll take it on the chin."

"Jan Oblak had a great game, and we did create so many chances - we just couldn't find the net, we couldn't find that third goal to kill the game off. We left everything on the field and that's what is important.

"It's hard to play against a team that defends very well and that is how they play. But we created a lot of chances, its not like we didn't create them. Overall we're so disappointed and for the rest of today and tomorrow it won't feel nice, but we have to use it to help us finish the season strong.

"Our focus is now on the derby, that's up next. It's a big game, and we'll just take it game by game to ensure we can finish this season strongly."

https://twitter.com/i/status/1237878011740835840
      « Last Edit: Mar 11, 2020 11:15:21 pm by sms1986 »
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,547 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #672: Mar 11, 2020 11:10:13 pm
      Just back from the boozer after ET finished.
      Bit pished, but not too bad, more just disappointed.
      Was always gonna be a tough match, these fuckers are hard work.
      But at 2-1 up we looked the more likely until Adrian messed up a kickout, then a poor attempt at a save.
      2-2 and they have the upper hand. We huffed an puffed.
      Even a F***ing carthorse like Morato then got a goal then, useless c**t that he is.
      Bollox to that.
      Look, Adrian did a good job in the PL when he was in earlier on, but that is the diff between a good stand in, and a world class keeper.
      Theirs made important stops, ours made mistakes.
      Still and all.
      IF you had told me at the start of the season, you'd win the PL, and nothin else, I'd have taken yer arm at the elbow.
      THAT is the big prize imo.
      And am not gonna forget that tonight.
      YNWA!!!
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #673: Mar 11, 2020 11:16:34 pm
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #674: Mar 11, 2020 11:18:05 pm
      Liverpool manager Jürgen Klopp speaking to BT Sport: "For the score to go 2-1 was not cool, it was a blow but it's not a big problem. The second goal was a bigger problem.

"After the second goal the legs were a bit tired. Everything that looked really natural in the first 90 minutes became a bit stiff. The crosses did not have the same quality We wanted the first time crosses like for the first goal, which was brilliant and the boys forget to do that.

"I am completely happy with the performance. It’s so difficult to play a side like this.

"I don’t understand with the quality they have the football they play. They could play proper football but they stand deep and have counter attacks.

"We accept it of course but it doesn’t feel right tonight. I realise I am a really bad loser, especially when the boys put such an effort in against world class players on the other side who defend with two rows of four.

"We know in the last two years we had some lucky moments in the Champions League, you have to, to reach two finals, but today it was everything was against us in the decisive moments."

Liverpool manager Jürgen Klopp speaking to BT Sport: "I’m searching for the right words. Our main mistake was to not score the second goal five minutes earlier. We scored it in extra time and not in the 90 minutes.

"The 90 minutes were exceptional, the boys played a wonderful game. You saw all the goals we conceded you should not concede them. We lose in a specific way, it’s always different but it’s difficult to explain those goals to be honest.

"We will come again and go again but now we are out."
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #675: Mar 11, 2020 11:19:50 pm
      Always difficult to quantify but leaving Adrians performance aside against the Chavs ( of course it’s difficult because it becomes a narrative, even confirmation).

But is Adrians mistake any worse than the sitter than Robertson missed?

So leaving aside the credit in the bank for Robbo, it is as a team culmination of errors forwards, defenders and keeper for this game.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #676: Mar 11, 2020 11:21:22 pm
      Thought we were noticeably better with Hendo back in the team and Fab off the pitch.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,547 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #677: Mar 11, 2020 11:23:53 pm

Yes, imho. Kicked it to an attacking player under no pressure, and slipped getting down for the save.
      We missed a lot of chances, but that happens. Stay tight and we win it.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,500 posts | 1492 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #678: Mar 11, 2020 11:25:55 pm
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #679: Mar 11, 2020 11:26:43 pm
      If you watch it back you can see Virgil and a few others instructing him to basically take a touch and play it out to the left where there wasn’t a single Atletico player. They are all pointing out towards Robbo.

yep.It was an absolute F***ing howler.No clue what he saw or was thinking.We should of been out of site by that point mind and the piss poor effort in the first leg annoys me more than this shitshow in extra time.F**k it.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,547 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #680: Mar 11, 2020 11:27:04 pm
      Thought we were noticeably better with Hendo back in the team and Fab off the pitch.

Yep, thought Hendo did well, and steadied us.
      saille29
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,534 posts | 242 
      Reply #681: Mar 11, 2020 11:27:26 pm
      Glad I'm a red, imagine watching that negative sh*te excuse of a football game week in week out waiting for a mistake
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #682: Mar 11, 2020 11:29:50 pm
      Yes, imho. Kicked it to an attacking player under no pressure, and slipped getting down for the save.
      We missed a lot of chances, but that happens. Stay tight and we win it.

Keeper miss kicks to 40 yards out, seen it happen plenty all the time and could still have been stopped so not sure if it’s much worse than missing a sitter.

Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,474 posts | 1474 
      Reply #683: Mar 11, 2020 11:30:52 pm
      Always difficult to quantify but leaving Adrians performance aside against the Chavs ( of course it’s difficult because it becomes a narrative, even confirmation).

So leaving aside the credit in the bank for Robbo, it is as a team culmination of errors forwards, defenders and keeper for this game.
      Fair point ,but even after the robbo miss we still deservedly went 2-0 up in extra time so for me  that initial first mistake from Adrian that lead to them making it 2-1 Totally knocked the stuffing out of us ,after playing fantastic and scoring 2 goals that must have been soul destroying for the lads ,it certainly was for us reds.
      LFC PAUL
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 46 
      Reply #684: Mar 11, 2020 11:31:04 pm
      All over them tonight but unfortunately our defence has gone awol at the wrong time, had a bad feeling about this tonight based on that and sadly it happened but we will have the big one in the bag soon.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #685: Mar 11, 2020 11:32:23 pm
      Really needed this win to pull me out of this constant state of anger I’m in about the world losing its collective mind about Corona.

Can’t believe Adrian thought it was a good idea to kick that out.

Don’t know what else to say. They are a crap team with crap tactics and they won’t ever win anything of note playing that way. They will always eventually get beat by someone that can break them down. It should have been us tonight but we just didn’t get it done. If there is a next round or one after that, they will get beat then.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #686: Mar 11, 2020 11:37:55 pm
      Fair point ,but even after the robbo miss we still deservedly went 2-0 up in extra time so for me  that initial first mistake from Adrian that lead to them making it 2-1 Totally knocked the stuffing out of us ,after playing fantastic and scoring 2 goals that must have been soul destroying for the lads ,it certainly was for us reds.

I get that but we have been going on about mentality monsters blah blah, so where were the leaders?

Just goes to show the mental fragility of even top players when the pressure is piled on.

End of the day it’s been a fantastic run and time to reload and start again.

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #687: Mar 11, 2020 11:45:01 pm
      I get that but we have been going on about mentality monsters blah blah, so where were the leaders?

Just goes to show the mental fragility of even top players when the pressure is piled on.

End of the day it’s been a fantastic run and time to reload and start again.

It ain't mental fragility dont be a weirdo because you're pissed off.

Theres only so many times you can go to the well and if you keep needing to pull out rescue missions in the end you will lose a few eventually.

We killed them and if our number 2 keeper wasnt so inept we would have won that game. As it is he is inept and we lost. (Sorry if that upsets people but hes just as bad as other number 2 keepers we have had at the club) It wasnt for a lack of everything that makes us who we are IE heart, effort and desire which were all there in bucket loads tonight.

We played incredibly well and while I do question our finishing tonight and thought we were snatchy when in on goal, you cant say we didnt deserve to win that game.

We didn't so we suck it up and move on now. Hopefully the league will run to its conclusion or as near as possible and we can celebrate our first league title in 30 years.

Bookend that with the Super Cup and CWC Cup and that all adds up well on top of the last seasons CL triumph.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #688: Mar 11, 2020 11:48:15 pm
      It ain't mental fragility dont be a weirdo because you're pissed off.

Theres only so many times you can go to the well and if you keep needing to pull out rescue missions in the end you will lose a few eventually.

We killed them and if our number 2 keeper wasnt so inept we would have won that game. As it is he is inept and we lost. (Sorry if that upsets people but hes just as bad as other number 2 keepers we have had at the club) It wasnt for a lack of everything that makes us who we are IE heart, effort and desire which were all there in bucket loads tonight.

We played incredibly well and while I do question our finishing tonight and thought we were snatchy when in on goal, you cant say we didnt deserve to win that game.

We didn't so we suck it up and move on now. Hopefully the league will run to its conclusion or as near as possible and we can celebrate our first league title in 30 years.

Bookend that with the Super Cup and CWC Cup and that all adds up well on top of the last seasons CL triumph.

What do you know about mental fragility are you a psychologist, just asking like 🙂
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,565 posts | 391 
      Reply #689: Mar 11, 2020 11:48:47 pm
      thoughts...

In the 90, i thought we were fantastic, finishing aside (ok i know thats kinda crucial)
      thought everyone was great really, Ox best hes been for ages, Trent fantastic...

Obviously its shocking from Adrian, such a simple ball to milner, and not great on any of the actual  shots.

Gomez was excellent, its kinda ludicrous how good he is considering hes 22, BUT, kinda poor from him on their 2nd, just go to him lad! exactly the same as Barkley last week!

lets face it, it hurts,we battered them, but weve had the breaks last year, this time it wasnt to be.

however, does still show i think we need to work on the squad, we love origi for THOSE moments, but hes not really good enough. I actually think the front 3 have been a bit off it this season, hope we bring a couple of hitters in to add competition...

Quick Reply