Trending Topics

European Super League - Liverpool amongst 12 clubs to join

Read 33597 times
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Re: Liverpool and Manchester United in talks for FIFA-backed tournament
      Reply #69: Apr 18, 2021 06:16:57 pm
      Gary Neville just give United and Liverpool a right slating and rightly so, he agree with us fans.

Find it quite funny that he's delivering his big speech on Sky though. The Sky that started all this sh*t.

Agree with his points though.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #70: Apr 18, 2021 06:17:42 pm
      If this went ahead, and the domestic leagues followed through on that threat, I think I'd stop following the club. The idea of a closed competition like that is the antithesis of what football is about for me.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,072 posts | 3438 
      Reply #71: Apr 18, 2021 06:17:54 pm
      it seems they have already said thats what will happen in a joint statement with UEFA?

It’s reactionary - Premier League kick them out - they lose all those billions in Telly rights

And the same Premier league that created the the breakaway from the football league just so that they could get more money

Very hypocritical of both the Prem League and CL
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,270 posts | 2829 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #72: Apr 18, 2021 06:22:13 pm
      Look a lot of people, associations and clubs, maybe even governments will have a say in the coming days.

No matter what comes from any of those statements I cant agree with a closed league. Under no circumstance is that right. All these billionaire owners looking at how they can make more and f** everyone else invlved from players to fans.

Hate that were to the fore of this
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,072 posts | 3438 
      Reply #73: Apr 18, 2021 06:24:20 pm
      Look a lot of people, associations and clubs, maybe even governments will have a say in the coming days.

No matter what comes from any of those statements I cant agree with a closed league. Under no circumstance is that right. All these billionaire owners looking at how they can make more and f** everyone else invlved from players to fans.

Hate that were to the fore of this

I don’t think any fan would want a closed league - the one thing though this isn’t to replace the Prem it’s to challenge the CL
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,024 posts | 2718 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #74: Apr 18, 2021 06:31:57 pm
      I don’t think any fan would want a closed league - the one thing though this isn’t to replace the Prem it’s to challenge the CL

Premier league should put their foot down. Anyone joining the super league can't play in our domestic league.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,945 posts | 5006 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #75: Apr 18, 2021 06:38:19 pm
      I want to hear our stance on this, there is no way I would want this to happen,  is basically like turning your back on the traditions of which we stand, and  FSG  have anything to do with it they can F**k right off !
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,250 posts | 923 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #76: Apr 18, 2021 06:40:36 pm
      Premier league should put their foot down. Anyone joining the super league can't play in our domestic league.

Looks like the premier league and f.a. are none to pleased about this. Money grabing owners
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #77: Apr 18, 2021 06:50:02 pm
      There's greed on all sides of this. It's human nature.

Nobody is taking a stance for the sake of Crawley or someone.

I"ve always though the Super League idea is to extract more concessions from UEFA to guarantee revenue and spots for the biggest club. I still do.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,072 posts | 3438 
      Reply #78: Apr 18, 2021 06:51:03 pm

Wouldn’t happen though - Premier league make millions because of those big clubs
      Borg
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 318 posts | 80 
      Reply #79: Apr 18, 2021 06:56:15 pm
      I can't imagine why LFC ownership would want to secure Founding Father permanent status in a super league playing against the best teams and the best players in the biggest venues with the biggest TV rights at the expense of consequential cups vs EFL, Championship, & League 1 teams and their part time professionals in their 15,000 seat stadiums.
      Seems just crazy.
      I'm sure the PL's megastars have no need desire for massive wage boosts funded by super league revenues either.
      And I bet Mo Salah is chomping at the bit dreaming about LFC's next matchup vs Oxford United or when he can return to Dean Court and test his skills vs. Bournemouth.
      Why achieve the greatest international exposure imaginable when sharing local exposure with the team across the park is all any foreign born superstar ever wants.
      Let Messi and Ronaldo promote all the international brands while our boys can get free pints at Johnny's Pub.
      Barca or Real twice a year.....boring!
      CT_LFC

• 6,811 posts | 1406 
      Reply #80: Apr 18, 2021 06:57:22 pm

As epic as that would be, it is never going to happen. They need the big teams to bring in the expensive deals. Marketing Leicester and Evertonas one of the top teams in the league isn’t going to do it.
      CT_LFC

• 6,811 posts | 1406 
      Reply #81: Apr 18, 2021 06:58:29 pm
      I want to hear our stance on this, there is no way I would want this to happen,  is basically like turning your back on the traditions of which we stand, and  FSG  have anything to do with it they can f**k right off !

Thought Liverpool had already agree to join if it ever were to happen?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #82: Apr 18, 2021 06:58:32 pm
      Disgusting idea borne solely out of greed by club owners who couldn't care less about the PL or the fans.

The day Liverpool FC leave the PL to join some boring non competitive "Super League" is the say I retire as a football fan.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,337 posts | 6389 
      Reply #83: Apr 18, 2021 07:01:39 pm
      UEFA and FIFA are literally one of the most corrupt organizations on the planet, I have a feeling this is a bluff on the part of these big clubs to create a standoff with FIFA and UEFA over their plans for CL expansion. I could be wrong but neither the FA nor UEFA have a leg to stand on because they need the players on the biggest teams playing in their tournaments. Going to be an interesting few days coming up that’s for sure. I’m not ready to jump off a football cliff yet but this certainly does feel like a very pivotal moment.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #84: Apr 18, 2021 07:01:54 pm
      This isn’t Liverpool working mans club anymore. Most fans are priced out of tickets anyway.
      It’s a franchise. Like Pizza Hut. Competing with McDonald’s and Burger King.
      It’s all about profits.
      PSG have ruined the french league.
      Man City and Chelsea have ruined ours.
      Most leagues have a monopoly with a couple of clubs.

I find the champions league dull as dishwater. The group stages are designed to keep the best teams qualifying. The rich get richer.
      The premier league is the same.

It’s been about greed for ages.

ToshackKeeganOneNil
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 561 posts | 110 
      Reply #85: Apr 18, 2021 07:10:08 pm

They'd lose an awful lot of negotiating power with Sky/BT and the rest if they expect them to pay the obscene amounts they've been paying recently but without the top clubs. Our owners are steeped in US sports where it's all franchises and closed leagues. They'll no doubt look at this as the way forward for the club. It's not for me but being honest, for me, football has been awash with greed from top to bottom for quite a few decades now.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,064 posts | 2110 
      Reply #86: Apr 18, 2021 07:13:25 pm
      It's awful greed, but essentially the Premier League complaining about this is a bit rich given that the Premier League was founded on the very same principle - greed.

The game of football will forever be fine. But at top level it is an absolute state.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #87: Apr 18, 2021 07:40:56 pm
      Pretty grim stuff but at the end of the day I am paying 72£ a month and in return get to watch Jon Moss sweating over Wolves V Burnley, which on the face if it isn't great value.

Should have let us have our 5 subs.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,270 posts | 2829 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #88: Apr 18, 2021 07:49:13 pm
      If this was genuinely for the betterment of football and they wanted a true superleague then where is the invite for Ajax or Benfica Porto PSV and the likes?

Why is their no tier 2 for clubs from Norway or the Czech Republic or Scotland etc?

Its no more then the owners of Juve and Real and utd and sadly ys looking to line their pockets.

And in respobse to a post above,Id much rather play Oxford in the league cup or Preston in the FA cup then play Atletico madrid 4 times a season for the rest of my life. And Id much rather the build up to a game v Everton then a league game against Inter milan
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #89: Apr 18, 2021 07:53:14 pm

Stance? It's the brainchild of John Henry, a Glazer and Rick Parry, isn't it?
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,072 posts | 3438 
      Reply #90: Apr 18, 2021 07:56:47 pm
      Stance? It's the brainchild of John Henry, a Glazer and Rick Parry, isn't it?

The guy at Madrid is apparently the king

But it’s going to end up being the standard posturing to ensure that UEFA understand who really does hold all the cards
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #91: Apr 18, 2021 08:01:33 pm
      This can't happen! F**k these money motivated dickheads!

Quick Reply