Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Utd?

Alisson Becker
      40 (41.2%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      2 (2.1%)
       Fabinho
      40 (41.2%)
      Andy Robertson
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      2 (2.1%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      13 (13.4%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Curtis Jones
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 95

Voting closed: Jan 21, 2021 06:22:40 pm

Liverpool 0-0 Manchester United: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 30212 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Liverpool 0-0 Manchester United: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #552: Jan 17, 2021 06:45:30 pm
      I would drop Bobby for Minamino, give him a run of games, see if he rises to the occasion, I suspect he would.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #553: Jan 17, 2021 06:45:59 pm
      Best ball winning mids in defence agrees but how is that an issue when we own the ball? Were 4th because we arent creating andv herefore not scoring because were predictable and refuse to change, even try something diffrrent within games

But in klopps system where we win the ball high up and recycle it quickly it’s so important to have Fabinho and Henderson in the midfield.
      And they are not. Because of a problem we have in defence.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,265 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #554: Jan 17, 2021 06:46:20 pm
      Ali, Hendo, Fab and Thiago all excellent today.

The less said about the rest the better.

Id give Shaq a pass thought he was ok
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,128 posts | 83 
      Reply #555: Jan 17, 2021 06:46:41 pm
      City basically flies away now if they win tonight. So Klopp should write off PL and favor CL and FA-Cup from now on - these are our realistic chances for silverware this year.

The system still works: we scored 37 goals - most of the league - got 21 goals which is still OK. Probably just one of those dry spells. We just don't have the luck we had last season. Probably the best we just stay patient and conitnue to work hard.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,011 posts | 2715 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #556: Jan 17, 2021 06:47:44 pm
      We have no CB's on the pitch for us and you still didn't try and win the game from the start,OGS is a joke of a manager who is always happy with a draw against us,he has never tried to play football against us because he's scared,we are completely out of form and you are top and in form but still play negative football only opening up in the final 10 minutes,that's why you won't win the league and will never win the league with OGS.

I actually agree with most of your post. I don't like Ole as manager as most know. If we'd had played are normal counter/ attacking football given you had no true CB you were their for the taking.

It was our best chance and Ole didn't take it.
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,128 posts | 83 
      Reply #557: Jan 17, 2021 06:48:05 pm
      Id give Shaq a pass thought he was ok

+1
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #558: Jan 17, 2021 06:48:48 pm
      Yet still had the better chances though mate. Was a poor game, think we can all agree on that.

better chances against 2 midfielders playing CB,give me a break,you are garbage with a championship/league 1 manager.Your net spend per season since Jürgen took over is 100m per season ours is just over 20m yet you are happy to be bus parkers with your anti-football,still haven't beaten a top 6 club this season and i think you have played all of them once.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,652 posts | 3920 
      Reply #559: Jan 17, 2021 06:49:40 pm
      Yet still had the better chances though mate. Was a poor game, think we can all agree on that.

I agree, Liverpool were sh*te
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,921 posts | 821 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #560: Jan 17, 2021 06:50:12 pm
      Think we looked most dangerous with Mane and Salah on opposite sides.

Would opt for starting that way for the next couple of matches and see if it makes a difference up top, because right now something needs to change up there.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #561: Jan 17, 2021 06:50:39 pm
      Cagey game, draw a fair result probably. We had the most of the ball and should have done more with it when we had the opportunities to do so in the final third. Salah and Firmino particularly off form I thought. That said they had the two best chances so a draw is probably fair.

Still got no idea why the ref blew for half time when he did, was a strange one.

Henderson and Fab did well, but having both at CB takes a lot away from our ability to win the ball high up and sustain attacks with pressure. I liked a lot of what Shaq did, particularly in the first 30.
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,580 posts | 391 
      Reply #562: Jan 17, 2021 06:51:06 pm
      Has to be said 2nd time Shaw has absolutely pocketed Salah.. that Jota injury was a F***ing huge blow
      LFC PAUL
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 46 
      Reply #563: Jan 17, 2021 06:53:01 pm
      What is it about playing Utd? We've only beaten them twice in the last 13 League meetings now
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,180 posts | 1097 
      Reply #564: Jan 17, 2021 06:53:04 pm
      When I say the front 3 has run its course, I dont say that with emotion, I say that with observation and form. They helped us achieve so much. But you can't afford to be sentimental in this sport, if you do you'll get passed by.

We have 3 guys who arwvstarting to come out of their peak, have been together for 4 years, and all are similar in that they gain advantage by pace and or ruthlessness. The blueprint is their to stifle them and I just feel we need a change. Jota should walk right in over Firmino IMO. Bobby has been poor to his standards for about a year now
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #565: Jan 17, 2021 06:53:10 pm
      I actually agree with most of your post. I don't like Ole as manager as most know. If we'd had played are normal counter/ attacking football given you had no true CB you were their for the taking.

It was our best chance and Ole didn't take it.

You will regret not trying to win today as once city get on a run you will be left behind,don't know what OGS has been researching on us the last 3 games as we have been garbage so were there for the taking,had you come at us and tried to play football then fair dues if you had won but that was awful by both teams today.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #566: Jan 17, 2021 06:53:16 pm
      Has to be said 2nd time Shaw has absolutely pocketed Salah.. that Jota injury was a F***ing huge blow

Yes but that was a vital game in Denmark and he had to be there.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,944 posts | 5001 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #567: Jan 17, 2021 06:53:31 pm
      I'll take the point. Backline composed of two midfielders. Midfield 3 playing with a winger and lacking 2 of its best assets (Fab and Hendo). I'm gonna take it.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Let’s put things into perspective here, we were up against the form team, who had won their last 15 away games, they had a fully fit team with the referees & the media in their pockets, they are deemed to be back and threatening to win the league, YET, they could not beat a side demoralised by injuries, missing 75% of their defence and having two midfield players used as makeshift CB’s, those same two midfielders were missing from their normal positions,

Looking back to last season and beyond, most of our attacking play starts from our normal CB’s, from 50,60,70 yard passes to linking up with our normal midfield trio and in turn onto the three attackers, our whole unit is intrinsically linked, it’s why we have been virtually untouchable last two to three seasons,

Take 75% of that intrinsically linked machine out and your left with a skeleton of a side devoid of the kind of football we have all been spoiled by, it’s not pretty what we are watching but we are hanging in there,

We didn’t lose, we are still in the race, and we will get better, it is completely obvious we are out of sorts, name me a side that with us much disruption we have had to deal with and still be in contention, we’re not quite at the halfway point in this mad season and I believe it will come down to a two horse race , we just need to hang in there, be patient and things will turn around,

BELIEVE !
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #568: Jan 17, 2021 06:53:53 pm
      Went for the keeper but Fabinho also class today. Thank god he can defend.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #569: Jan 17, 2021 06:54:20 pm
      Frustrating game that and I think it was a mix of us being out of form and United being a better team than what probably most of us thought.

No problems with the line up. I thought the midfield had enough creativity to cause them problems and more importantly Id rather have a senior player at centre half against these rather than a young inexperienced lad like williams or phillips.

First half I thought we dominated. We didn’t give them a chance other than a free kick late on in the half, and had our front three been their usual selves or if we had Jota playing then I think we’d had comfortably been 2 or 3 nil up. In particular, bobby was wasteful.

Second half was different though. I thought they were the better team and looked the more likely to score and possibly win the game. Alison made a couple of big saves and I don’t really remember us having a chance other than Thiagos long range strike.

Overall, a draw was a fair result and I think they proven that they’re genuine contenders now.

But focusing on us, I thought Alison was superb. Man of the match for us today.

The back four were all fine too. Special mention to Fabinho who I thought was fantastic. In general, they kept their attack quiet.

Midfield was a little bit disappointing. I don’t remember Gini being in the game at all. Thiago showed some really nice play on some occasions like he always does but he gave it away cheaply sometimes too. Shaq was similar, thought he had a few nice touches and passes in the first half but gave the ball away a few times too and faded as the game went on. None of the three really created that many openings for us in truth.

Then the front three were really disappointing. They’re just not with it at the moment at all. Very frustrating.

So we’re no longer favourites for the title but that’s fine, it wouldn't be Liverpool if we didn’t do it the hard way. We need to start scoring some F***ing goals soon though.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,265 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #570: Jan 17, 2021 06:55:00 pm
      Think were all angry or down, and rightly so. But f we can sort ourselves we have half a season to go, we can easily go on a run so dont give up on the title yet

But we need a tweek somewhere
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,180 posts | 1097 
      Reply #571: Jan 17, 2021 06:55:26 pm
      better chances against 2 midfielders playing CB,give me a break,you are garbage with a championship/league 1 manager.Your net spend per season since Jürgen took over is 100m per season ours is just over 20m yet you are happy to be bus parkers with your anti-football,still haven't beaten a top 6 club this season and i think you have played all of them once.

Shhhh. You'll think me later
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,921 posts | 821 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #572: Jan 17, 2021 06:55:42 pm
      Can't believe Klopp is saying that was a good game from us when we didn't look threatening apart from when Thiago was on the ball.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,343 posts | 1529 
      Reply #573: Jan 17, 2021 06:57:24 pm
      Well Burnley are certainly gonna park the bus, so expect more of the same if changes aren’t made.

We just don’t seem to have any individuals prepared to make a run THROUGH them just to move them around, or even take a shot from 20 yds.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,811 posts | 1406 
      Reply #574: Jan 17, 2021 06:58:04 pm
      Not that we don't ahve CB issues, especially so if Klopp doesn't trust Rhys or Phillips (for whatever reason), but our biggest problem right now is in front, bar none.

We control possession but do absolutely nothing with the ball. Nothing.

United: 66%
      Soton: 67%
      Newcastle: 73%
      Brom: 78%

Those are our % of possession in each of those games, and only got 1 goal to show for it. This needs to get fixed asap.

Quick Reply