Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Mo Salah - Somewhere Else

Read 28775 times
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,239 posts | 3491 
      Re: Mo Salah - Somewhere Else
      Reply #92: Jan 16, 2022 06:31:47 pm

Somewhere between £300-£350k I suspect , I will be very surprised if it goes over £400k - they aren’t going to pay him double the wage of any other player in the club
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #93: Jan 16, 2022 06:57:43 pm
      I feel like there are people that don’t want Mo to get paid what he’s worth. And then there are others that seem to already be making excuses (defenses) for why he won’t/shouldn’t.

If we can give Virg 200k coming off an injury that ends a lot of careers, I don’t think it’s that out of line to think that Liverpool pay the best player in the world a “wage structure” breaking amount.

There’s no such thing as a wage structure anyway. 10 years ago there weren’t any players making anywhere near 200k a week. Now we have a few. That’s how things work. As you develop and retain better players, wages increase. In fact one of the determiners if you look at teams that win cups and titles is that teams with higher wage bills tend to win more. Can’t recall the article, if I find it I’ll post it but basically teams that spend on good squads win more than teams that don’t.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,332 posts | 4960 
      Reply #94: Jan 16, 2022 07:01:19 pm
      I feel like there are people that don’t want Mo to get paid what he’s worth. And then there are others that seem to already be making excuses (defenses) for why he won’t/shouldn’t.

If we can give Virg 200k coming off an injury that ends a lot of careers, I don’t think it’s that out of line to think that Liverpool pay the best player in the world a “wage structure” breaking amount.

There’s no such thing as a wage structure anyway. 10 years ago there weren’t any players making anywhere near 200k a week. Now we have a few. That’s how things work. As you develop and retain better players, wages increase. In fact one of the determiners if you look at teams that win cups and titles is that teams with higher wage bills tend to win more. Can’t recall the article, if I find it I’ll post it but basically teams that spend on good squads win more than teams that don’t.

I think he should be paid what he is worth but what exactly is that would be my question?

It's such an arbitrary statement as it's difficult to put a number on it.

He should be made the highest paid player in the club but are we really going to be paying a player  half a million pounds a week?

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #95: Jan 16, 2022 07:02:30 pm
      I think he should be paid what he is worth but what exactly is that would be my question?

He should be made the highest paid player in the club but are we really going to be paying a player  half a million pounds a week?

So, how much to you think Mo is worth to this club & success..?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,332 posts | 4960 
      Reply #96: Jan 16, 2022 07:06:05 pm
      So, how much to you think Mo is worth to this club & success..?

I think I've said roughly what I think he's worth quite a few times.

In and around ÂŁ300K-ÂŁ350K a week would be what I think is a great offer.

We won't and shouldn't be thinking of anything near north of ÂŁ400K in my opinion.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,239 posts | 3491 
      Reply #97: Jan 16, 2022 07:09:07 pm

Again there is that saying

“What he is worth” - it’s very much subjective

Let’s put it into context - if Salah is offered £350k a week

That’s £130k more than anyone else in the club - that’s nearly £7mil a year

And that’s just his basic - add on any bonuses etc and it’s likely that he could earn £25mil a year - a four year contract makes it around £100mil

Is that not enough - and yes there will be a wage structure because as a club it only spends what it makes so it’s going to have to balance the books to ensure they have a controllable wage bill - plenty of clubs have got themselves in trouble by not controlling it

As for spending more to win more

Man Utd spend more over the last 5/6 years
      Chelsea spend more over the last 5/6 years
      And yes City do

Only one has won more - it’s not automatic

As for VVD - ACL don’t end players careers these days and haven’t for a while - it’s no correlation to his contract

As someone has said we won’t be paying the ludicrous wage that some players in the game are on - it’s just not going to happen

I don’t expect the club to be held to ransom over this and believe he will be offered a very good wage in relation to the clubs finances and wage bill
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #98: Jan 16, 2022 07:15:25 pm

I know most dislike the comparisons to American sports but in the NFL for instance, Mo would be paid according to what the best players in his position would be paid, regardless of who they play for. Because if the player’s team doesn’t want to pay, another team will.

If Mo is really the best in the world, he should be paid as such. Just because Liverpool is skint or too cheap to pay up, shouldn’t mean he doesn’t make a top salary. And if Liverpool are too cheap to pay and let him walk (or sell him) then they will hear it from the supporters (rightfully so).

At this juncture, it’s going to take a lot of spending to try and battle a team that can spend whatever it wants. If FSG aren’t prepared to do that then maybe they aren’t cut out to continue with club ownership 🤷🏻‍♂️
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,216 posts | 2764 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #99: Jan 16, 2022 07:16:00 pm
      I find it hard to believe some of you fans who support Liverpool don’t know / understand the Liverpool way.  :o There's not a cat in hells chance FSG are paying 400k + Think I know more than some of you lot. ;D Especially HR  :f_whistle:
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,332 posts | 4960 
      Reply #100: Jan 16, 2022 07:18:19 pm
      I know most dislike the comparisons to American sports but in the NFL for instance, Mo would be paid according to what the best players in his position would be paid, regardless of who they play for. Because if the player’s team doesn’t want to pay, another team will.

If Mo is really the best in the world, he should be paid as such. Just because Liverpool is skint or too cheap to pay up, shouldn’t mean he doesn’t make a top salary. And if Liverpool are too cheap to pay and let him walk (or sell him) then they will hear it from the supporters (rightfully so).

At this juncture, it’s going to take a lot of spending to try and battle a team that can spend whatever it wants. If FSG aren’t prepared to do that then maybe they aren’t cut out to continue with club ownership 🤷🏻‍♂️

As you know I'm a fan of American sports mate and definitely can see your point.

Taking that I think from looking around Jason Sancho is the highest paid wide forward in the league, excluding Ronaldo, at ÂŁ350K a week so maybe that's where we need to be aiming at?
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #101: Jan 16, 2022 07:30:27 pm
      I think I've said roughly what I think he's worth quite a few times.

In and around ÂŁ300K-ÂŁ350K a week would be what I think is a great offer.

We won't and shouldn't be thinking of anything near north of ÂŁ400K in my opinion.

Not in financial terms I’m asking.. 
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,213 posts | 1646 
      Reply #102: Jan 16, 2022 07:31:57 pm
      I find it hard to believe some of you fans who support Liverpool don’t know / understand the Liverpool way.  :o There's not a cat in hells chance FSG are paying 400k + Think I know more than some of you lot. ;D Especially HR  :f_whistle:

Not quite the message though is it? It’s a discussion if that is the right approach.

I don’t think or agree that we would pay the mad figures out there in world football for the top players (which I think is 500-600k).

But if he’s asking for 400k as reported? I think that is actually achievable for us, it will require us to maybe be flexible and make sacrifices in places but I don’t think it is an insurmountable figure.

Go back to my previous point - if we want to compete regularly for the top trophies then we are going to need the best players in the world in order to compete, gone are the days of winning leagues with only one world class player in your starting XI, now you need multiple with the remainder being very very good and hope to god you don’t get injuries.

How your lot won leagues with the likes of John O’Shea and Wes Brown I’ll never know.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,332 posts | 4960 
      Reply #103: Jan 16, 2022 07:31:58 pm
      Not in financial terms I’m asking.. 

You've lost me I'm afraid.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #104: Jan 16, 2022 07:33:46 pm

I’ve asked what is Mo’s worth to this  team & success..?

Forget what we believe what he should be paid..

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,332 posts | 4960 
      Reply #105: Jan 16, 2022 07:36:21 pm
      I’ve asked what is Mo’s worth to this  team & success..?

Forget what we believe what he should be paid..

I'm still not sure what you're asking?

He's worth being made the best player at the club with a contract among the best in the league which is what I think he will be offered.

If you're asking if he's worth doing anything to keep as we won't win anything without him then that's really subjective as no one really knows.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,604 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #106: Jan 16, 2022 07:41:10 pm
      Whatever about the actual salary FSG are offering, I hope they are also taking into account the cost of having him leave. Not sure how you put a figure on that.
      If a contract is not agreed, we'd need to sell him this summer, and bring in someone to replace him.
      If that is what happens, then although I'd probably support FSG assuming 300 or 350K is on the table, what would NOT be acceptable is F***ing up and not replacing him properly.
      If you are not able to replace him properly, then don't let him go.

Also, not signing Mo would mean extra work in the transfer market, on top of already being behind on refreshing the squad due to recent under investment.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,332 posts | 4960 
      Reply #107: Jan 16, 2022 07:43:56 pm
      Whatever about the actual salary FSG are offering, I hope they are also taking into account the cost of having him leave. Not sure how you put a figure on that.
      If a contract is not agreed, we'd need to sell him this summer, and bring in someone to replace him.
      If that is what happens, then although I'd probably support FSG assuming 300 or 350K is on the table, what would NOT be acceptable is F***ing up and not replacing him properly.

Also, not signing Mo would mean extra work in the transfer market, on top of already being behind on refreshing the squad due to recent under investment.

Very good point mate.

We need to offer a huge salary bit of he still doesn't accept and it's beyond what we will pay then a plan needs to be in place to replace him and also the other parts of the team we should already be looking at.

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,239 posts | 3491 
      Reply #108: Jan 16, 2022 07:46:41 pm
      If that is what happens, then although I'd probably support FSG assuming 300 or 350K is on the table, what would NOT be acceptable is f**king up and not replacing him properly.

I think it’s certainly something Edwards will be aware of and “if” and it’s a big IF Mo does get sold then they will have a list of who they will want

I still look through Europe and I’m actually not sure where he will go too

Madrid looking at Haaland
      PSG trying to get Mbappe resigned
      Barce can’t afford him
      Italy wouldn’t give him anything more than what we offer
      Germany the same
      And he wouldn’t go to City etc imo

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,332 posts | 4960 
      Reply #109: Jan 16, 2022 07:50:08 pm

I think it’s certainly something Edwards will be aware of and “if” and it’s a big IF Mo does get sold then they will have a list of who they will want

Barce can’t afford him
      Germany the same

The danger is he stays and sits out his contract.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #110: Jan 16, 2022 07:51:22 pm
      As you know I'm a fan of American sports mate and definitely can see your point.

Taking that I think from looking around Jason Sancho is the highest paid wide forward in the league, excluding Ronaldo, at ÂŁ350K a week so maybe that's where we need to be aiming at?

If Sancho is 350 a week Mo is easily worth 400k. He should be the highest paid winger at least in our league if not in the world.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,604 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #111: Jan 16, 2022 07:53:05 pm

Barce can’t afford him
      Germany the same

This is true, I'm not sure who goes to either - given his age, the other strikers that'll prob be on the move in the summer, and who might be in the market to buy them.
      And am sure this is something FSG are aware of. Risky play though.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,332 posts | 4960 
      Reply #112: Jan 16, 2022 07:53:42 pm
      If Sancho is 350 a week Mo is easily worth 400k. He should be the highest paid winger at least in our league if not in the world.

I'm wondering though would Sancho's contract have all the bonuses that Mo's likely would have though?

It's really hard to tell as we're all guessing a little with the bits and pieces of info you find on the internet.

Not get in the NFL thread and tell me your thoughts on the wildcard games ;D
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,239 posts | 3491 
      Reply #113: Jan 16, 2022 07:57:31 pm
      The danger is he stays and sits out his contract.

Well it will certainly tell a lot more about the whole situation

Mo is very clear so far in statements that he wants to stay but it’s noise we have heard many times from different players
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,216 posts | 2764 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #114: Jan 16, 2022 07:59:05 pm
      Not quite the message though is it? It’s a discussion if that is the right approach.

I don’t think or agree that we would pay the mad figures out there in world football for the top players (which I think is 500-600k).

But if he’s asking for 400k as reported? I think that is actually achievable for us, it will require us to maybe be flexible and make sacrifices in places but I don’t think it is an insurmountable figure.

Go back to my previous point - if we want to compete regularly for the top trophies then we are going to need the best players in the world in order to compete, gone are the days of winning leagues with only one world class player in your starting XI, now you need multiple with the remainder being very very good and hope to god you don’t get injuries.

How your lot won leagues with the likes of John O’Shea and Wes Brown I’ll never know.

I’ll be surprised if the so called rumours (( normally media bullsh!t )) of 400k are true. Salah has already said his demands are not unreasonable. If it’s 350k or less then he’s right, it isn’t unreasonable. However, if it’s more then as usual it’s typical footballers greed taking over.

Salah won’t be the first if that’s the case, the premier league is full of them. Hell, you only need to look at some of the wages our players ( United ) are on to know that their greed shows no bounds and they will fleece our great clubs for what they can get. Sad thing is it’s us the fans who have to pay with increase ticket prices and sales merchandise.

The chances of Liverpool ( in the future ) competing for the top trophies  along with United who have more money to spend than you lot! look slim. As already stated your midfield near crises point and won’t get away with it next year and now looking pretty certain this year too apart from cup comps.

As for the the likes of O’Shea & Brown? That’s pretty simple! we had a manager like Klopp who got the very best out of them.  ;)

It’s looking like the future bit grim for Liverpool come next year, you may join us and start dropping in the ranks as it’s clear City & Chavs will continue to spend on the best, and as long as Pep & Tuchel In charge I can’t see anything changing soon.

Our only hope is home grown talent coming through the ranks. We need a class of 92 who can’t win it with kids  ;D

Quick Reply