Trending Topics

Luis Diaz (Porto)

Read 21978 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,340 posts | 6391 
      Re: Luis Diaz (Porto)
      Reply #161: Jan 28, 2022 05:55:33 pm
      That’s why I think people like James Pearce are a complete joke. They are constantly reporting stuff from what “inside sources” or whatever are saying but in actual fact they haven’t got the slightest clue. All January the likes of him have been saying it will be a quiet window, don’t expect any arrivals etc and then once again made to look an idiot by being completely wrong.

Unless a leak comes from outside the club, Such as Christian Falk knowing about us signing Thiago (again something Pearce was flat out denying), then any transfer dealings will be kept behind the scenes until the process of the transfer is well underway.

Pearce and Reddy are tap in merchants these days. The club don't give them any info until it's basically old news. Joyce seems to have a little bit of an inside track but he doesn't really even offer much till he knows its good to go. Most times, the leaks about these transfers are coming from the player's side like in the case of this one. I think Pearce is more of a twitter persona now and that's how he feeds the kids. He's turned into a bit of a meme on websites like Reddit.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #162: Jan 28, 2022 05:55:40 pm
      Clubs will be reluctant to let their best players leave - even more so in the middle of the season  but that doesn’t mean it’s impossible

Apparently Porto’s financial situation is playing a part in them accepting not only an offer, but a lower offer than they’d have originally looked for.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,340 posts | 6391 
      Reply #163: Jan 28, 2022 05:57:28 pm
      & that’s the problem, we only reacted because of the Spurs interest.. otherwise we would have continued to run Mane, Salah & Bobby into the ground & still expect them
      To be constant in their performance..

Now go out & get Bellingham because our midfield is crying out for him..

I don't know that I believe we only acted because of Spurs interest. JĂźrgen tends to be a wait and see guy and also he doesn't seem to be a bidding war type of guy. If you want to join us, good, if you don't, then we will find someone else. I'd be surprised if LFC were worried about any interest from Tottenham (or anyone else). I've seen some reports that once this kid knew we were interested he only wanted to come here. And to be honest, that makes the most sense.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,811 posts | 1406 
      Reply #164: Jan 28, 2022 05:57:39 pm
      & that’s the problem, we only reacted because of the Spurs interest.. otherwise we would have continued to run Mane, Salah & Bobby into the ground & still expect them

Diaz was reportedly JĂźrgen's primary summer target, so all we're doing is pulling the transfer into January. We still would have gone out and gotten him.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,463 posts | 4591 
      Reply #165: Jan 28, 2022 05:57:48 pm
      Apparently Porto’s financial situation is playing a part in them accepting not only an offer, but a lower offer than they’d have originally looked for.

I think they still Owe us on Grujic…, plus player asked Porto to accept our offer even though it was lower than other bids..
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,086 posts | 3444 
      Reply #166: Jan 28, 2022 05:59:06 pm
      That’s why I think people like James Pearce are a complete joke. They are constantly reporting stuff from what “inside sources” or whatever are saying but in actual fact they haven’t got the slightest clue. All January the likes of him have been saying it will be a quiet window, don’t expect any arrivals etc and then once again made to look an idiot by being completely wrong.

Unless a leak comes from outside the club, Such as Christian Falk knowing about us signing Thiago (again something Pearce was flat out denying), then any transfer dealings will be kept behind the scenes until the process of the transfer is well underway.

A number of times these things appear to happen really quickly - I agree in regards the Thiago business but I think it was right it was going to be a quiet window until Spurs made their move , that was a catalyst for it to go - and in fairness to them they did say it would be quiet unless something happened.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,086 posts | 3444 
      Reply #167: Jan 28, 2022 06:01:32 pm

Why is it a problem ? They were clearly looking to get him , prob going to wait until the summer to bring him in but went early because of the Spurs interest.

Either way it’s not an issue as long as he pulls on the red shift
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #168: Jan 28, 2022 06:02:17 pm
      I think they still Owe us on Grujic…, plus player asked Porto to accept our offer even though it was lower than other bids..

He’s a key player for them, I don’t think they’d accept a lower offer on the say so of the player?
      Am I right in saying they weren’t able to even pay for Grujic until next summer?

and in fairness to them they did say it would be quiet unless something happened.

Just covering all angles to make it look like they knew what was going on. It’s like saying I won’t win the lotto unless I was to get the right numbers.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,086 posts | 3444 
      Reply #169: Jan 28, 2022 06:02:33 pm

Yeah I there is something in that plus they owe money for Grujic - suspect the transfer was always going to happen at some point
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,289 posts | 2841 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #170: Jan 28, 2022 06:04:00 pm
      Question for those who are not enjoying the prospect of signing a very exciting player but rather worry about what it means for Mane....

Have you thought that maybe, just maybe  JĂźrgen might tweek things a bit and that bot Sadio and this lad play together? Try this

4 2 3 1

Mo Jota  Diaz

Sadio

or

Mo  Sadio Diaz

Jota
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #171: Jan 28, 2022 06:04:33 pm

You’re forgetting about some players.

Morton, Dixon Banner, Stewart, Woltman, Bradley, Clarkson.

And if Hendo ends up going then origi can play centre mid anyway. Klopp saw him in training and likes the challenge of developing and morphing players into different positions.

Anyway, great signing. Up the F***ing reds.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,086 posts | 3444 
      Reply #172: Jan 28, 2022 06:09:06 pm
      Question for those who are not enjoying the prospect of signing a very exciting player but rather worry about what it means for Mane....

Have you thought that maybe, just maybe  JĂźrgen might tweek things a bit and that bot Sadio and this lad play together? Try this

4 2 3 1

Mo Jota  Diaz

Sadio

or

Mo  Sadio Diaz

Jota

There was that idea when Jota came along with Bobby dropping back a little to play as a number 10

It would certainly give more options but one of them would need be a more central 10 player - it’s only really Bobby for that.

Diaz , Mane and Mo are more wide players with Jota capable of wide and through the middle higher

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,289 posts | 2841 
      Reply #173: Jan 28, 2022 06:12:13 pm
      There was that idea when Jota came along with Bobby dropping back a little to play as a number 10

It would certainly give more options but one of them would need be a more central 10 player - it’s only really Bobby for that.

Diaz , Mane and Mo are more wide players with Jota capable of wide and through the middle higher

It could in fact be Bobby who is pushed down the order. I think Sadio could easily do a Barnes ye know and see out the end of his career centrally
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,086 posts | 3444 
      Reply #174: Jan 28, 2022 06:16:59 pm
      It could in fact that Bobby who is pushed down the order. I think Sadio could easily do a Barnes ye know and see out the end of his career centrally

Certainly interesting idea- I think Sadio though is more about his pace though where as Barnes was more about the ball control. It’s certainly going to interesting in regards now they interact over the next couple of months
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #175: Jan 28, 2022 06:20:17 pm

Mane plays as a 10 for Senegal doesn’t he?
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,086 posts | 3444 
      Reply #176: Jan 28, 2022 06:24:14 pm
      Mane plays as a 10 for Senegal doesn’t he?

I don’t know , only ever seen highlights and he looked like he was playing as their main striker
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,340 posts | 6391 
      Reply #177: Jan 28, 2022 06:25:46 pm

Hmmm....maybe you can enjoy the prospect of signing an exciting player AND have a concern about losing Mane?

This kid may turn out to make everyone forget about Mane, but for the short term, be nice to have both of them?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,289 posts | 2841 
      Reply #178: Jan 28, 2022 06:26:44 pm
      Hmmm....maybe you can enjoy the prospect of signing an exciting player AND have a concern about losing Mane?

This kid may turn out to make everyone forget about Mane, but for the short term, be nice to have both of them?

Shouldnt thay concern wait until the summer?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,340 posts | 6391 
      Reply #179: Jan 28, 2022 06:27:32 pm
      Shouldnt thay concern wait until the summer?

Was not aware that there were windows already setup for concern. I shall now wait until the concern window opens ;) ;D
      Salah10
      • Banned

• 1,224 posts | 200 
      Reply #180: Jan 28, 2022 06:51:33 pm
      It's totally fine to have a concern that the player is replacing and not strenthening (after the summer). Some fans have concerns about our squad. A concern about up top is not enough strength in depth. Replacing Mane is not building but only replacing and thus the concern remains.

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,289 posts | 2841 
      Reply #181: Jan 28, 2022 06:57:32 pm
      It's totally fine to have a concern that the player is replacing and not strenthening (after the summer). Some fans have concerns about our squad. A concern about up top is not enough strength in depth. Replacing Mane is not building but only replacing and thus the concern remains.

And thats why I asked why would concerns be to the fore for some, before Diaz has even signed? Why worry about something that might never happen? Why not just enjoy the moment, the moment being were improving our squad, now, when were still going in 4 comps

Lets worry about losing Ssdio or Bobby in June, and even then if we do, lets only worry if we dont add more
      Salah10
      • Banned

• 1,224 posts | 200 
      Reply #182: Jan 28, 2022 07:00:16 pm
      And thats why I asked why would concerns be to the fore for some, before Diaz has even signed? Why worry about something that might never happen? Why not just enjoy the moment, the moment being were improving our squad, now, when were still going in 4 comps

Lets worry about losing Ssdio or Bobby in June, and even then if we do, lets only worry if we dont add more

Agreed. For now we enjoy them and see where this signing takes us this year.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,755 posts | 863 
      Reply #183: Jan 28, 2022 07:01:06 pm

What is the concern? I think Diaz is coming in as the long term replacement of Mane. What happens to Mane will be dependent on many thing including the type of minutes he will be expecting to get in case of an extension, the wages demands in case of an extension and most importantly the plan we have in place.

I was surprised to learn that he is only on 5.2M a year. I could see us keep him if he is okay with the idea of seeing less minutes and signing a short deal with similar wages to what he is earning.

However, like I said, we don't know exactly what is the plan. Maybe the plan is sell Mane at the end of the year and invest the money on younger versatile winger or even into another position altogether. 

Quick Reply