Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

Our offside trap

Read 4016 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,262 posts | 4934 
      Re: Our offside trap
      Reply #23: Feb 15, 2022 08:12:48 pm
      I always laugh when, in match highlights, they show opposition "chances" that end with the flag going.up.

By definition those are NOT chances.

It's even worse when it's used to highlight the highline and offside trap isn't working.

As someone else said above the highline we play is also linked into how we attack and win the ball back in the press.

You cannot have one without the other and the stats back up what I've always thought, in that we catch teams offside fat more than we actually concede from the highline.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,348 posts | 1532 
      Reply #24: Feb 15, 2022 09:04:18 pm
      It's even worse when it's used to highlight the highline and offside trap isn't working.

As someone else said above the highline we play is also linked into how we attack and win the ball back in the press.

You cannot have one without the other and the stats back up what I've always thought, in that we catch teams offside fat more than we actually concede from the highline.

But on the few occasions we haven’t applied the press very successfully, the high line has been vulnerable to the counter attacks in numbers of opposition breaking from midfield.
      That’s when I get the jitters.
      The high line is great if we press hard and fast.

Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #25: Feb 15, 2022 09:31:43 pm
      The Athletic article which Shabs posted the offside stat from had a few other interesting points.

As others have alluded to it's all about risk/reward, and the high line allows us to compact the pitch for the other team and press more efficiently further forward. We pressure the opposition in the final third more often than any other PL team (43 per game on average, next best is Brighton on 40.1), and we are also better at it than anyone, with the highest "press success" %

A good example of how it can go wrong came in the Palace game, after which we had the genius of Jenas and Richards on MOTD saying they'd like us to drop 5 yards deeper etc etc. It's clear that VVD does make an error in stepping up to play offside, but it's what he's been drilled to do and the real problem was that the forwards and midfield allowed Schlupp to run 15-20 yards unchallenged and play a pass.

To me it's an integral part of how we play and we're really good at it. When it doesn't work it looks bad but the risk/reward is worth it.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #26: Feb 15, 2022 10:06:55 pm
      I always laugh when, in match highlights, they show opposition "chances" that end with the flag going.up.

By definition those are NOT chances.

Correct, but just one of those offsides can result in momentum swinging to the opposition. It’s no secret that teams know that in order to get goals against us in open play, they will target that high line and if they feel they are close to beating it then they can grow in confidence, especially with these pathetic late flags because it can often result in us starting to panic a bit when chasing back.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,785 posts | 6742 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #27: Feb 15, 2022 10:46:45 pm
      I just don't know why we can't revert to a different game plan, once we have taken the lead. Drop back, go 5 at the back.

Scares the sh*t out of me 90% of the time but he thought of having VVD and Ali back there, does alleviate some of those concerns.
      glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,817 posts | 471 
      Reply #28: Feb 15, 2022 11:26:06 pm
      As previously stated, our attackers need to press to help the whole tactic work effectively.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #29: Feb 16, 2022 12:26:30 pm
      I just don't know why we can't revert to a different game plan, once we have taken the lead. Drop back, go 5 at the back.

Scares the sh*t out of me 90% of the time but he thought of having VVD and Ali back there, does alleviate some of those concerns.

Sometimes we do, but it's clear Klopp does not like plans B. He likes to perfect his plan A, that's it.

It's stressful, but when we concede, it's mostly because someone exposed TAA and put in a good cross or because a player does an odd dribble to pierce the defence or a fantastic pass. However, Alison is excellent in what he does, his real weakness is his passing. 

It works, it's simply very stressful for us.

Although I sometimes think, it's simply too high. And we're endangering ourselves uselessly.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #30: Feb 16, 2022 01:19:22 pm
      Sometimes we do, but it's clear Klopp does not like plans B. He likes to perfect his plan A, that's it.

It's stressful, but when we concede, it's mostly because someone exposed TAA and put in a good cross or because a player does an odd dribble to pierce the defence or a fantastic pass. However, Alison is excellent in what he does, his real weakness is his passing. 

It works, it's simply very stressful for us.

Although I sometimes think, it's simply too high. And we're endangering ourselves uselessly.

Went back and watched the league goals conceded since the beginning of November, apart from a defensive header that got too quickly turned over by Chelsea, it's hard to put that much blame on TAA. Of the eleven we conceded, three cracking defence splitting passes, two worldies and an Alisson error with the other five asking questions of our centre backs, not our full backs.

As for the high line, it suits our players. I hope this doesn't turn into one of those man marking, zonal debates. We here the players to play this system, it is highly successful though I've noticed it being derided in our last few games by some shoddy co-commentators.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,338 posts | 6390 
      Reply #31: Feb 16, 2022 02:00:20 pm
      Went back and watched the league goals conceded since the beginning of November, apart from a defensive header that got too quickly turned over by Chelsea, it's hard to put that much blame on TAA. Of the eleven we conceded, three cracking defence splitting passes, two worldies and an Alisson error with the other five asking questions of our centre backs, not our full backs.

As for the high line, it suits our players. I hope this doesn't turn into one of those man marking, zonal debates. We here the players to play this system, it is highly successful though I've noticed it being derided in our last few games by some shoddy co-commentators.

I'm always reminded of the reason that commentators are commentating and not coaching/managing ;D
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #32: Feb 16, 2022 06:19:01 pm

It’s been getting spoken about since the 4-3 win over Norwich on the opening day of our title winning season. That was when we seemed to start playing an extra couple of yards higher.

Admittedly, although we managed to get top 4 last season, if ever there was a time to do away with that line and drop back a few yards it was last season when we had Kabak and Phillips/Williams paired at CB because they’re all about as quick as someone running through mud whilst pulling a tyre and it did cause us a world of problems. But seeing as we still persisted with it under those circumstances, think it’s clear that we won’t be changing it anytime soon.
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #33: Feb 18, 2022 08:48:35 am
      Those stats are incredible! It seems to be working better than ever this season. Now and then we come up against a team that can undo (obviously the Villa game was the one where it really didn’t work) it. But, it really is working beautifully this season and VAR actually helps us massively because everything goes to the replay and we win the close decisions that might previously have seen the flag stay down.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,868 posts | 704 
      Reply #34: Feb 19, 2022 02:51:24 pm
      Quote from 7-King Kenny-7
      Correct, but just one of those offsides can result in momentum swinging to the opposition. It’s no secret that teams know that in order to get goals against us in open play, they will target that high line and if they feel they are close to beating it then they can grow in confidence, especially with these pathetic late flags because it can often result in us starting to panic a bit when chasing back.

You play to the whistle, not the flag. Even if the flag goes up, that doesn't automatically mean the game is stopped. The flag has to go up late because most offside calls are tight, and the linesman can't judge them all correct all the time.

What annoys me is why the whistle goes for the offside flag, when the defending team have already won the ball back and are on the counter attack. In that case, I don't understand why the play has to be stopped.

It’s been getting spoken about since the 4-3 win over Norwich on the opening day of our title winning season. That was when we seemed to start playing an extra couple of yards higher.

Admittedly, although we managed to get top 4 last season, if ever there was a time to do away with that line and drop back a few yards it was last season when we had Kabak and Phillips/Williams paired at CB because they’re all about as quick as someone running through mud whilst pulling a tyre and it did cause us a world of problems. But seeing as we still persisted with it under those circumstances, think it’s clear that we won’t be changing it anytime soon.

Yes we played a high line that night, but we won 4-1.

We dropped deeper last season because of the defensive injury crisis. That meant we were less dangerous upfront. Now the crisis is over, we can have a higher line at the back. It doesn't work all the time, but the stats  show it works more often than it doesn't.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,244 posts | 8576 
      Reply #35: Feb 20, 2022 01:52:07 pm
      That offside trap is reaching George Graham levels.

Back line the least of our worries. Something else Klopp deserves praise for.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,262 posts | 4934 
      Reply #36: Mar 02, 2022 09:05:13 pm
      Lee Dixon the latest to bang on about how high we play and should be 10 yards further back.

Pundits are either thick or don't do any research.

Or both.
      « Last Edit: Mar 02, 2022 10:18:43 pm by srslfc »
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,281 posts | 2834 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #37: Mar 02, 2022 10:14:55 pm
      Flag went up nice and quick tonight
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,710 posts | 3717 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #38: Mar 02, 2022 10:39:37 pm
      It brought us the League Cup trophy. We play it so well.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #39: Mar 04, 2022 01:04:38 am
      It brought us the League Cup trophy. We play it so well.

Quality post.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #40: Mar 04, 2022 12:13:07 pm
      Is going to give us all a Fukn heart attack.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,462 posts | 4591 
      Reply #41: Mar 04, 2022 12:22:46 pm
      Is going to give us all a Fukn heart attack.

The linesman does that already, that stupid law needs binning off pronto..

Quick Reply