Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Injuries 22/23

Read 36334 times
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,601 posts | 855 
      Re: Injuries 22/23
      Reply #483: Mar 16, 2023 08:11:45 pm
      I’m not sure the owners see it that way though.
      It’s not how I would invest but for them to see the team finishing with over 90 points and nearly winning the lot, the probably think “well it ain’t broken so we don’t need to fix it.” 
      They also probably didn’t foresee just how terrible we have been this season. Top 2 was fairly likely at the start, top 4 almost certainty.

I’m not defending them btw, I just think that if you finish with 90 odd points and nearly win everything, you probably think you can wait for your main targets rather than settling for 4th choice…

Good argument and i understand the logic behind their choice but i feel still that we should have learned from our previous mistake.

Who knows how our season would have gone if we had a player like gini who was almost never injured. Everyone makes mistake, let's just hope we learn from it this time.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #484: Mar 16, 2023 08:14:10 pm
      When we were marching towards a quadruple last year or beat City in the CS in July with this midfield there were no concerns that we didn't replace Gini....
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #485: Mar 16, 2023 08:31:52 pm
      Good argument and i understand the logic behind their choice but i feel still that we should have learned from our previous mistake.

Who knows how our season would have gone if we had a player like gini who was almost never injured. Everyone makes mistake, let's just hope we learn from it this time.

Aye. This is one big lesson though. Either they learn or they lose
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #486: Mar 16, 2023 10:51:15 pm
      We needed a midfielder the moment Gini left the club, let alone 18 months down the line.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #487: Mar 17, 2023 01:15:29 am
      When we were marching towards a quadruple last year or beat City in the CS in July with this midfield there were no concerns that we didn't replace Gini....

Actually….there were plenty of Liverpool supporters saying that we should have replaced him. Especially as we seemed to run out of gas towards the end of the season.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #488: Mar 17, 2023 01:33:49 am
      Actually….there were plenty of Liverpool supporters saying that we should have replaced him. Especially as we seemed to run out of gas towards the end of the season.

Ran out of gas?

Finished the Premier League by winning 16 matches and drawing three (Spurs home and City and Chelsea away) from January through May.

Won in regulation or on penalties our three 2022 matches to lift the League Cup.

Swept through six rounds of the FA Cup before lifting the trophy.

Advanced through the knockout rounds of the Champions League before losing to an outstanding goalkeeping performance to Real Madrid in the final. That loss was one of two defeats in 35 matches for the 2022 part of the season (the other a 1-0 loss to Inter Milan where we advanced anyway).

If that was us running out of gas, I can't imagine what we would have done with a full tank.

This season has nothing to do with Gini leaving.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #489: Mar 17, 2023 07:59:49 am
      Ran out of gas?

Finished the Premier League by winning 16 matches and drawing three (Spurs home and City and Chelsea away) from January through May.

Won in regulation or on penalties our three 2022 matches to lift the League Cup.

Advanced through the knockout rounds of the Champions League before losing to an outstanding goalkeeping performance to Real Madrid in the final. That loss was one of two defeats in 35 matches for the 2022 part of the season (the other a 1-0 loss to Inter Milan where we advanced anyway).

If that was us running out of gas, I can't imagine what we would have done with a full tank.

Didn’t you see our games at the end of the season?

We barely stumbled over the line, we had nothing left for the FA Cup and CL Cup finals we didn’t even score a goal in open play.

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #490: Mar 17, 2023 08:15:27 am
      We played every single game you can in a season - no other club has ever done that , just under 60 games of course it’s going to be a bit of a struggle at the end and it’s got F**k all to do with not replacing Gini

Even when we do well staggering how some need to be negative about it - sad
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #491: Mar 17, 2023 08:31:27 am
      I remember in summer when people were saying that we didnt need a midfielder.

When you count the players we have loads, just loads have been injured and all at same time which has meant playing other midfielders too much then they get strains and fatigue its vicious circle.

New blood defo needed in the summer though, no doubt.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #492: Mar 17, 2023 08:32:26 am
      We played every single game you can in a season - no other club has ever done that , just under 60 games of course it’s going to be a bit of a struggle at the end and it’s got f**k all to do with not replacing Gini

Indeed we coped last season without Gini.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #493: Mar 17, 2023 10:03:06 am
      Ran out of gas?

I didn’t say I believed Gini’s loss was an issue. I simply stated that there were plenty who believed it was regardless of us challenging for the quad.

Regardless we did run out of gas. And whether or not having Gini (or a replacement) would have helped is certainly fair play to debate.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #494: Mar 17, 2023 11:41:44 am
      We played every single game you can in a season - no other club has ever done that , just under 60 games of course it’s going to be a bit of a struggle at the end and it’s got f**k all to do with not replacing Gini

What I would say is we played the same amount of games in 2001, had an old Gary Mac in midfield, but ended the season well and scoring loads of goals.

This squad seems to have lost all energy.

I’d actually go as far back as our unbeaten run (44 games was it?) and even then we were having lots of games where we managed to win but didn’t play well. I actually think we have been scraping over the line for longer than it seems.

The points tally’s have been unbelievable but the effort put into it has been visible for some time IMO
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #495: Mar 17, 2023 09:06:07 pm
      Nunez injured now maybe why brought off midweek hopefully just precautionary
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #496: Mar 17, 2023 10:32:47 pm
      I remember in summer when people were saying that we didnt need a midfielder.

Good for you.

Back then it didn't look like we did but that was wrong.

I was wrong, the boss was wrong and the club were wrong but hindsight is wonderful.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,601 posts | 855 
      Reply #497: Mar 18, 2023 09:50:06 am
      Good for you.

Back then it didn't look like we did but that was wrong.

I was wrong, the boss was wrong and the club were wrong but hindsight is wonderful.

It doesn't bring me any pleasure to be right on the Internet. I wish it was the other way around, that we were having a great season and i was wrong.

My post was made after the frustration while reading Bajcetics injury.

I honestly think that klopp wanted to sign a midfielder in summer, that's why he gave that interview where he said that he wished we took more risk. He will never come out and criticise owners or his players. He just doesnt so that.

Can i prove it? Offcourse not. I'm not here to blame the owners or boss. I'm just saying that some of us saw that we needed midfielder in summer, and i wish people in charge saw it too.
      Tadders

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Reply #498: Mar 18, 2023 10:52:33 am
      But when you consider gini and sadio have been pretty much injured since they left it  shows we have some major burn out issues, so we need to replace every 3 years
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,971 posts | 2051 
      Reply #499: Mar 18, 2023 11:43:00 am
      But when you consider gini and sadio have been pretty much injured since they left it  shows we have some major burn out issues, so we need to replace every 3 years

Every 3 years? Is that sustainable?
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #500: Mar 18, 2023 01:17:00 pm

Well considering they got injured  quite a few months down the line after leaving I don’t think that can be down to us , it’s just a fact some players pick up knocks easily and some don’t , Salah being a prime example look at Virg rarely got injured until that c**t across the park ambushed him .
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #501: Mar 18, 2023 02:36:32 pm
      Just saw a stat about combined premier league games missed through injury (per team) and we are by far the leaders in that dept beating the closest team to us (Chelsea) by 38 missed games. It is worth noting that Chelsea, while being the second highest in that table, is part of a pack of teams where that stat ranges between 103 to 124 missed games. So, technically, we are truly in a league of our own when it comes to injuries.

I am not a physio or a doctor and I have 0 medical knowledge, but I wonder: is it reasonable/legitimate if I ask ''do we have a problem with our medical dept or maybe the way we train?

I know that we signed a player that sort of inflated that stat even more for us (Arthur), but I am pretty sure that we are top of the injury table (or at least top 3) year after year. When you add to this the fact that some players, like Keita, are not known for being injury prone before joining its hard not to ask yourself questions.

I personally think our problem is a combination of some of the players we target and identify as being the ones we need being injury prone before joining combined to something with the way we train (or something else I don't know) that just worsen the injury rate in the squad. The first point I can understand considering our approach to transfers as a club (which I like), but I also think that sometimes concessions have to be made in that dept. Maybe go for that 2nd, less ideal but also less injury prone choice on 2 of those 4 transfers just to insure that the squad is not constantly depleted to a point where some seasons are ruined. I feel like there's no use to getting 4 players you really like if 3 of them are almost never available.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #502: Mar 18, 2023 03:25:41 pm
      I didn’t say I believed Gini’s loss was an issue. I simply stated that there were plenty who believed it was regardless of us challenging for the quad.

Regardless we did run out of gas. And whether or not having Gini (or a replacement) would have helped is certainly fair play to debate.

I was answering your comment (yours, not someone else's) that we ran out of gas.

You said: "Actually….there were plenty of Liverpool supporters saying that we should have replaced him. Especially as we seemed to run out of gas towards the end of the season."

We didn't run out of gas last season. I spelled out how we won nearly every match in each competition. You brought up the idea and then respond to this  with

"Regardless, we did run out of gas."

How can we be running out of gas with the win record from January through May that I spelled out? We won nearly every match and played well in that final game, just got denied by a goalkeeper in top form.

Debate is good. Our problems this season are certainly an important discussion. Someone has advanced the idea that not re-signing Gini Wijnaldum is a reason for this season's slump and it doesn't add up.

Just repeating "we ran out of gas" is not "debate."  That is the basis you cited for why we should have kept Gini, and the evidence of our match performances in the 2nd half of last season does not support the idea that "we ran out of gas."

In other words, our issues this season have nothing to do with Gini Wijnaldum (who by the way has missed nearly the entire season at Roma with injury).
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #503: Mar 18, 2023 03:32:32 pm
      It doesn't bring me any pleasure to be right on the Internet. I wish it was the other way around, that we were having a great season and i was wrong.

My post was made after the frustration while reading Bajcetics injury.

I honestly think that klopp wanted to sign a midfielder in summer, that's why he gave that interview where he said that he wished we took more risk. He will never come out and criticise owners or his players. He just doesnt so that.

Can i prove it? Offcourse not. I'm not here to blame the owners or boss. I'm just saying that some of us saw that we needed midfielder in summer, and i wish people in charge saw it too.

JĂźrgen a few times when talking about transfers that we want to sign players, but not just any players. I imagine we'd all agree that of course there needs to be a standard of player who comes here. JĂźrgen and staff are great coaches but it can't just be anyone. I've only really seen the new Real Madrid player from Monaco as a midfielder that we were after last season (and of course Bellingham). More recently he said something about how there are "many good players." That makes me wonder if we are looking at signings apart from some of those names we've been bandying about (Bellingham, Calcedo, Nunes).  So it leaves me curious. I don't expect some 16-year old kid from Tranmere Rovers is about to become the next Gerrard, but do pay a lot of money for scouting and analytics. It'd be nice if we can bring in a couple of players who really make a difference for our team in midfield (and defence) - regardless if we know their names yet or not.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #504: Mar 18, 2023 07:18:10 pm
      I was answering your comment (yours, not someone else's) that we ran out of gas.

You said: "Actually….there were plenty of Liverpool supporters saying that we should have replaced him. Especially as we seemed to run out of gas towards the end of the season."

We didn't run out of gas last season. I spelled out how we won nearly every match in each competition. You brought up the idea and then respond to this  with

"Regardless, we did run out of gas."

How can we be running out of gas with the win record from January through May that I spelled out? We won nearly every match and played well in that final game, just got denied by a goalkeeper in top form.

Debate is good. Our problems this season are certainly an important discussion. Someone has advanced the idea that not re-signing Gini Wijnaldum is a reason for this season's slump and it doesn't add up.

Just repeating "we ran out of gas" is not "debate."  That is the basis you cited for why we should have kept Gini, and the evidence of our match performances in the 2nd half of last season does not support the idea that "we ran out of gas."

In other words, our issues this season have nothing to do with Gini Wijnaldum (who by the way has missed nearly the entire season at Roma with injury).

We ran out of gas at the end of the season. If you watched the games you understand this. Not going to go back and forth on it.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #505: Mar 18, 2023 08:12:17 pm
      We ran out of gas at the end of the season. If you watched the games you understand this. Not going to go back and forth on it.

We didn't. I watched them all. You are going back and forth but adding nothing except to say we ran out of gas, repeatedly.

16 matches in April and May. Won 12, drew 3 and lost the Champions League final despite a strong performance.

Quick Reply