Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Liverpools run in top 4/6

Read 18762 times
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,652 posts | 3920 
      Re: Liverpools run in top 4/6
      Reply #184: May 16, 2023 09:11:43 pm
      I can't see United or Newcastle dropping any points to be honest, let alone the four needed for us to get in front of them.

Still, all we can do is win our two and keep them both honest.

Me too mate, just feels like there’s no chance.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,292 posts | 1664 
      Reply #185: May 16, 2023 09:25:36 pm
      Newcastle win Thursdy its over just got to hope Brighton can get at least a point .it will be bouncing up.there which is my worry. Utd poor away but can't see Bournemouth doing much unless it's their last home game but otherwise nothing to play for . Reckon though if Brighton can nick something we are massively in it providing we do our bit
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #186: May 16, 2023 09:30:38 pm
      One thing we have in our favour is nerves, especially with Newcastle.

They haven't been in this situation for 20 years or so and could easily bottle it like Arsenal did for the League for similar reasons. And should they fail to win on Thursday, we could be in the top four before they play again which could knock them psychologically. (could spur them on as well though and they tw*t Leicester 6-0)
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 298 
      Reply #187: May 16, 2023 10:10:01 pm
      I will show my ass at Townclock if they get anything they are down and out and already resigned to championship football and no way they get anything up there

They won the premier league and there is a very slim chance they can win a game against Newcastle. Everton beat Brighton 5-1 and they have a worse team than Leicester if you look at the names on the team sheet.

It's unlikely that they will win, United and Newcastle are strong favourites for the top 4 but we just need to keep winning and hoping.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,310 posts | 775 
      Reply #188: May 16, 2023 10:18:49 pm
      They won the premier league and there is a very slim chance they can win a game against Newcastle. Everton beat Brighton 5-1 and they have a worse team than Leicester if you look at the names on the team sheet.

It's unlikely that they will win, United and Newcastle are strong favourites for the top 4 but we just need to keep winning and hoping.
      The way this season has played out you wouldn't be surprised to see both Utd's lose all their games.....and us lose both of ours.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,035 posts | 69 
      Reply #189: May 16, 2023 10:59:41 pm
      I think Utd will get results against Bournemouth and Fulham. That's leaves the Chavs. I know Chelsea have been sh*t all season but these multi million £ players know that Pochetino is coming and what better way to impress their new manager is to beat the the Scum. We still have to win our last 2 games but I think that's our chance to nick top 4.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,543 posts | 1481 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #190: May 16, 2023 11:51:09 pm
      I think Utd will get results against Bournemouth and Fulham. That's leaves the Chavs. I know Chelsea have been sh*t all season but these multi million £ players know that Pochetino is coming and what better way to impress their new manager is to beat the the Scum. We still have to win our last 2 games but I think that's our chance to nick top 4.
      If they win against both Bournemouth and Fulham that puts them out of reach for us unfortunately, best hope is on Newcastle dropping points in games, they have the tougher games coming up.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #191: May 17, 2023 08:05:56 am

Just never know. At least its an interesting end to the season.

And I wouldnt be shocked to see bournmouth nick something of the mancs, they can be a very good team on thier day, and now all but safe, so may well play with some freedom, or could go the other way and down tools. l o l
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #192: May 17, 2023 08:15:16 am

That’s literally all they need to do to secure Top 4. They’d finish 1 point ahead.

Need either United or Newcastle to drop points in two games.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,652 posts | 3920 
      Reply #193: May 17, 2023 09:19:19 am
      That’s literally all they need to do to secure Top 4. They’d finish 1 point ahead.

Exactly - that’s just too much to ask. If it was one game then I would feel a little more confident.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #194: May 17, 2023 09:21:52 am

Indeed, We need either of them to drop 4 points minimum from 3 games.

Ideally the Geordies to lose tmrw night. :)

Didnt realise this.....
      They remain strong favourites to clinch the two remaining Champions League spots - but both sides have only won one of their past three games.
      Don77

• 6,540 posts | 1091 
      Reply #195: May 17, 2023 09:26:24 am
      I'm relaxed about it all. I'd give up on CL after the Bournemouth debacle so if it happens then it's a nice end to the season, if unexpected.

If it doesn't ... in all honesty europa league is stretching it in terms of where we deserve to finish this season. From the preseason games, to the opening game at Fulham until now, bar the odd exception we've been pathetic this season. The attitude has not been right.

Yeah they've pulled their fingers out at the last minute, but it's still not convincing. Sorry but if we don't see either of the 2 above implode then we've only ourselves to blame for where we finish, not forgetting our parasite owners. All this comes back to them and not backing Jürgen klopp. The folly of last summer will set us back abit I fear.
      Harrisimo

• 8,288 posts | 1402 
      Reply #196: May 17, 2023 09:48:25 am
      I'm relaxed about it all. I'd give up on CL after the Bournemouth debacle so if it happens then it's a nice end to the season, if unexpected.

If it doesn't ... in all honesty europa league is stretching it in terms of where we deserve to finish this season. From the preseason games, to the opening game at Fulham until now, bar the odd exception we've been pathetic this season. The attitude has not been right.

Yeah they've pulled their fingers out at the last minute, but it's still not convincing. Sorry but if we don't see either of the 2 above implode then we've only ourselves to blame for where we finish, not forgetting our parasite owners. All this comes back to them and not backing Jürgen klopp. The folly of last summer will set us back abit I fear.

Fairly honest opinion. And yes I thought Champions league had gone. I think the injuries played a major part in this relatively unsuccessful season. Remember we are only a few points off the top 4. The injury list is long and I wouldn't like the task of totting up how many games key players lost through injury.

The end of season post mortem will obviously take into account the poor form of several players etc. But we can't hide from the fact that we are 21 pts adrift of City. See how the last few games pan out before we get stuck into them.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #197: May 17, 2023 10:05:01 am
      its extremely unlikely that Brighton will do us a favour tomorrow I fully expect Newcastle to win.
      If we win our two remaining games I dont think a post mortem is needed just strengthen as whatever the problems we had they have been sorted out and we need to move forward and with Curtis now finally looking like a player and young Bajcetic showing immense potential I think the transfer department will be reviewing everything given the last 9 games unbeaten.
      Don77

• 6,540 posts | 1091 
      Reply #198: May 17, 2023 10:20:10 am
      Fairly honest opinion. And yes I thought Champions league had gone. I think the injuries played a major part in this relatively unsuccessful season. Remember we are only a few points off the top 4. The injury list is long and I wouldn't like the task of totting up how many games key players lost through injury.

The end of season post mortem will obviously take into account the poor form of several players etc. But we can't hide from the fact that we are 21 pts adrift of City. See how the last few games pan out before we get stuck into them.

I've no sympathy re the injuries. The players who have let us down all season with injury have let us down pretty much the whole time they've been here. They should have been moved on ... but they weren't. We made our bed ... and we're sleeping in it. We were unlucky with Jota and Diaz no doubt.

The underlying factor this season has just been a bad attitude and bad performances littered with brainless football. Our senior players bar Ali have just not performed. I'm not going to lay in on individuals. I don't need to. Jürgen has also made alot of mistakes this season.

As I said ... they've pulled their fingers out at the death and had a little go ... but too little too late.

It is what it is ... let's see what the summer brings and roll on next season.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #199: May 17, 2023 10:26:01 am

Yea, I dont think anyone is expecting top 4. but just dunno, its a funny old game int it.

We are on an 8 game unbeaten run, which bodes well for next season no matter what happens.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #200: May 17, 2023 10:26:48 am

Injuries have been horrific, imagine if jota & diaz were fit for the whole season, we would have defo been top 4 minimum.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #201: May 17, 2023 10:28:19 am
      its extremely unlikely that Brighton will do us a favour tomorrow I fully expect Newcastle to win.
      If we win our two remaining games I dont think a post mortem is needed just strengthen as whatever the problems we had they have been sorted out and we need to move forward and with Curtis now finally looking like a player and young Bajcetic showing immense potential I think the transfer department will be reviewing everything given the last 9 games unbeaten.

Brightons form is better than mancs & newcastle past couple of months.

They need a win or 2 to secure top 6.

Im sure they will be well up for it tmrw evening.

Even a draw would help them and us.
      « Last Edit: May 17, 2023 11:45:22 am by brezipool »
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,543 posts | 1481 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #202: May 17, 2023 10:47:39 am
      If Newcastle lose tomorrow, then I’ll start properly believing… a draw would just be teasing us.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #203: May 17, 2023 11:14:16 am

Brighton is probably the one game I'd expect it to be hard fought.
      They are pushing for Europa League and in better form than United and Newcastle.
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,875 posts | 420 
      Reply #204: May 17, 2023 12:47:10 pm
      They are pushing for Europa League and in better form than United and Newcastle.

Except when Everton tatored them 5-1 or whatever it was.

Asking a lot to get top 4. Even for us to beat Villa at home is tough. They are a good side these days and it could be very difficult.

All we can do now is win and hope, but its an outside chance.

Europa league I can stomach it was the conference league we had to avoid.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #205: May 17, 2023 12:50:30 pm

just trying to dampen expectations if they turn up as they did with Everton our goal difference is going to get battered . I wont watch the game or listen just turn on at 10pm crossing my fingers for a result for Brighton even a Draw wouldnt be awful .
      Harrisimo

• 8,288 posts | 1402 
      Reply #206: May 17, 2023 01:03:48 pm
      I've no sympathy re the injuries. The players who have let us down all season with injury have let us down pretty much the whole time they've been here. They should have been moved on ... but they weren't. We made our bed ... and we're sleeping in it. We were unlucky with Jota and Diaz no doubt.

The underlying factor this season has just been a bad attitude and bad performances littered with brainless football. Our senior players bar Ali have just not performed. I'm not going to lay in on individuals. I don't need to. Jürgen has also made alot of mistakes this season.

As I said ... they've pulled their fingers out at the death and had a little go ... but too little too late.

It is what it is ... let's see what the summer brings and roll on next season.

Prior to playing the 'inverted' position Trent's form was poor and he was in danger of losing his place. Lost his England place. I was one of many who wanted him moved into mid. And yes the likes of Keita and The Ox have been a waste. Not as easy to get shut though. Fabinho was another who has been off blob. Jones missed so much. VVD and even Robbo have all been below par for large parts of the season.

But due to injuries we had hardly anyone to play down the left wing. Jota and Diaz have been a big miss. Others like Thiago have missed a lot. Tactics, selection, subs etc all down to Klopp. But he had to deal with the injuries and that affects all aspects of managment.

If you had said we have lost at least 6 pts because of injuries nobody would've argued with you.

Quick Reply