Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Nick Webster on Fox Football Fone-In

Read 1154 times
      SuperJon
      • Forum John Aldridge
      • Started Topic

• 105 posts |
      Nick Webster on Fox Football Fone-In
      Dec 28, 2007 03:27:09 am
      I'm not sure how many people saw this tonight, but I wanted to post it here and get thoughts.  I'm paraphrasing, but Webster said that Liverpool under Rafa Benitez is amazing in Europe but clueless in the Premiereship.  I'm still a baby in fan terms and knowing the history, etc but recent history shows that to be somewhat right.  Since Rafa took the role as manager, there's been a first place and second place finish in the Champions League and won the FA Cup once, but haven't finished at the top of the league.  I'll be the first to admit that I'm way off base here if everyone completely disagrees with the statement.  I didn't know if he was right or wrong, so I'm posing the question to all of you to educate me on his statement.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: Nick Webster on Fox Football Fone-In
      Reply #1: Dec 28, 2007 04:40:26 am
      I dont think you can not  just blame RAFA for not winning the league, we have had a succession of managers back to Souness who have all failed us.If anyone can win it for us it has got to be RAFA.
      LazyFingers
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 892 posts | 22 
      Reply #2: Dec 28, 2007 04:43:13 am
      I definitely believe that if Rafa is given enough time he will win it for us. And if he's given as much money as other top mangers get then the time it takes for us to win it will be shortened.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6947 
      Reply #3: Dec 28, 2007 12:47:26 pm
      In the season he didn't get us all the way through to a Champions League final (something we hadn't done in the previous 21 years) we managed 82 points in the Premiership.  I don't know whether he will or won't win us the Premiership.

What I do know from a couple of decades of supporting the reds is that he is our best hope that we have had in recent years and more importantly he is building a side in the manner that the great man Shanks did.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #4: Dec 30, 2007 12:01:28 pm
      In the season he didn't get us all the way through to a Champions League final (something we hadn't done in the previous 21 years) we managed 82 points in the Premiership.  I don't know whether he will or won't win us the Premiership.

What I do know from a couple of decades of supporting the reds is that he is our best hope that we have had in recent years and more importantly he is building a side in the manner that the great man Shanks did.

Yep totally agree, I remember the 70's 80''s and the very dark times of the 90's, they were very bleak when you can remember winning a major trophy nearly every year, there were times for a considerable time when our worst league position for about 6 years was 2nd. So not to win the League title for so long is disheartening. Some of the decisions Rafa makes are quite perplexing but I feel he is our only and best option as manager for a least we are making progress and when you take all things into consideration things are not so bad (on the pitch). The media are constantly placing doubt in our minds, they are like Voldermort for those who know of him, they thrive on misery, and the only defense is stick together. So don't read the papers, don't believe what any thing News International spouts inc SSN. Only look at the league table and the results.

To quote "Miracle on 34th Street".....We Believe!
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #5: Dec 30, 2007 02:23:58 pm

You cant really add much more than that, but to be honest webster is only reitterating what Sky shitheads have done for years and its only reluctantly from their point of view that recently we have been named or there has been named a top four or big four.
      I agree totally with JDs view on building great sides like shanks and albiet we have not won the league we are slowly becoming more consistant the longer Rafa is here. 3rd place in two consequtive seasons and having been in 2 champions league finals plus an FA Cup, but to put a finer point on it albiet sarcastically "ROTATION WILL NEVER WORK" will it ?? Reason being is like I have said many times before Rafa knows football is no longer a team game, but a squad game and thats a fact.

Quick Reply