Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

Luton vs Liverpool - Pre Match Thread

Read 4355 times
      rosscoveney
      • Forum Ronnie Moran
      • Started Topic

• 404 posts | -4 
      Luton vs Liverpool - Pre Match Thread
      Jan 03, 2008 08:48:54 pm
      After the bloody disapointment against wigan lets hope we can beat luton
      Come on the Reds
      I think we should play a mix between a relaxed early leage cup game and a normal premier league fixture

PR

SF   JH    JC  JAR

YB   XA   SG   RB

FT    PC

« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2008 03:28:38 pm by EddieC »
      F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Re: Luton vs Liverpool (Sunday 6th Jan)
      Reply #1: Jan 03, 2008 08:59:41 pm
      I think we should play

Itandje
       Finnan       Hoobs          Carra       Riise
       Pennant    Lucas            Alonso      El Zhar
                    Voronin    Crouch

Subs: Martin, Kewell, Torres, Mascherano, Do we actually have any defenders left? (see my post about injuries below)
      « Last Edit: Jan 04, 2008 04:52:02 pm by F9T »
      Troffy
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts | -55 
      Reply #2: Jan 03, 2008 09:15:17 pm
      Lets try and avoid a repeat of 2 years ago.

Jack Hobbs, Babel and Crouchy deserve starts. Lets win this and look forward to an FA Cup QF.

F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Reply #3: Jan 03, 2008 09:17:42 pm
      Lets try and avoid a repeat of 2 years ago.

Jack Hobbs, Babel and Crouchy deserve starts. Lets win this and look forward to an FA Cup QF.

We have to go through two other rounds to get there first.
      Troffy
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts | -55 
      Reply #4: Jan 03, 2008 11:03:15 pm
      We have to go through two other rounds to get there first.

Well, what I meant was that once you get up to the 1/4 finals you are really in with a shout. When its in the "Rounds" stages,, thats when you can go out.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,655 posts | 6949 
      Reply #5: Jan 04, 2008 12:46:57 am
      Well, what I meant was that once you get up to the 1/4 finals you are really in with a shout. When its in the "Rounds" stages,, thats when you can go out.

???

Didn't we get knocked out of the semi's in the League Cup by Chelsea?
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #6: Jan 04, 2008 01:37:31 am
      No we got knocked out in the QF. I reckon this one will go right down to the wire 1-1 aty full time 5-4 on pens for LIverpool  ;D ;D ;D
      LazyFingers
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 892 posts | 22 
      Reply #7: Jan 04, 2008 02:01:16 am
      We will win this match. And I hope we win this cup as well, a bit of silverware would be nice at the end of the season! Plus it will go nicely with the CL and EPL ;D

CI

SF  JH  JC  JAR

XA
      YB             HK
               SG

RB    FT

;)
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #8: Jan 04, 2008 11:15:18 am
      Why are you guys dropping Pepe... no way Jose.

My team would be

PR

AA  JH  JC  FA

JM
                 XA
      SG             RB

EZ    FT

Subs: CI, PC, HK, JAR, LL

Prediction 3-0 win... another wonder goal from Xabi perhaps... and two Kid Towers.
      F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Reply #9: Jan 04, 2008 04:08:12 pm
      Gerrard, Arbeloa, and Aurelio have just been announced injured - http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N158276080104-1336.htm

Steven Gerrard, Alvaro Arbeloa and Fabio Aurelio have all been ruled out of Sunday's FA Cup third round clash at Luton Town.
      All three players picked up muscle injuries against Wigan in midweek and are sidelined for the trip to Kenilworth Road.

Manager Rafael Benitez confirmed: "Steven and Alvaro have a calf problem and Fabio has a hamstring injury.

"They are all out of this weekend's game and will work with the physios to be ready for Middlesbrough next Saturday."

redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #10: Jan 04, 2008 04:15:49 pm
      Looks like a back four of Finnan, Hobbs, Carra and Riise then doesn't it.

Would we be surprised if it was Sissoko and Alonso in the middle?
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #11: Jan 04, 2008 04:26:52 pm
      Can I ask a favour?

Can everyone stop posting players initials in their proposed lineups & actually post players names? That way I can tell peoples lineup at a glance rather than having to work out the initials, which becomes harder in these sort of games when a lot of people suggest reserve players.
      Walk-wright-on
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts | 13 
      • FSG - The future is bright!!
      Reply #12: Jan 04, 2008 04:43:39 pm
      I think the line up will be a mixture of youth and experience. Something like this:

Charles Itandge

Steve Finnan         Jack Hobbs       Jamie Carragher        Emiliano Insua

Jermaine Pennant   Lucas Leiva       Xabi Alonso             Sebastian Leto

Peter Crouch      Ryan Babel

Subs:
      David Martin; Fernando Torres; Nabil El Zhar; Harry Kewell; Sami Hyypia
      curse
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 117 posts | -1 
      • Torres = GOALS!!
      Reply #13: Jan 04, 2008 04:51:14 pm
      I think the line up will be a mixture of youth and experience. Something like this:

Charles Itandge

Steve Finnan         Jack Hobbs       Jamie Carragher        Emiliano Insua

Jermaine Pennant   Lucas Leiva       Xabi Alonso             Sebastian Leto

Peter Crouch      Ryan Babel

Subs:
      David Martin; Fernando Torres; Nabil El Zhar; Harry Kewell; Sami Hyypia

That would be a good line up except and (please dont criticise me im just suggesting this) what if we play Martin instead of Itandje this is a team two divisions below us and he could use some experience. Have Itandje there as a back up if he cant take it andd give Martin a chance to show himself. SAfter all if he is going to play for us in the premiership then we should see how he respnds to playing against Luton.
      « Last Edit: Jan 04, 2008 04:54:46 pm by curse »
      F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Reply #14: Jan 04, 2008 04:52:44 pm
      Can I ask a favour?

Can everyone stop posting players initials in their proposed lineups & actually post players names? That way I can tell peoples lineup at a glance rather than having to work out the initials, which becomes harder in these sort of games when a lot of people suggest reserve players.

Done EddieC! Sorry for the confusion!
      Walk-wright-on
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts | 13 
      • FSG - The future is bright!!
      Reply #15: Jan 04, 2008 04:53:04 pm
      Fair shout that!! Like you say, he needs the experience and when else is he going to get it!!! :gt-happyup:
      mancslayer
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 27 posts |
      • Mancs = Devil Worshipers
      Reply #16: Jan 04, 2008 05:53:08 pm
      That would be a good line up except and (please dont criticise me im just suggesting this) what if we play Martin instead of Itandje this is a team two divisions below us and he could use some experience. Have Itandje there as a back up if he cant take it andd give Martin a chance to show himself. SAfter all if he is going to play for us in the premiership then we should see how he respnds to playing against Luton.

Good call but I would have to say that Itandje would be a better choice because the last time we played Luton we really underestimated them. Having said that you've got to start somewhere and Luton would be a good place to get experience if its anything like the last clash we had.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #17: Jan 04, 2008 09:42:16 pm
      I personally think that torres should play because him and gerreard are the only ones that score on a regular basis for us but i totally agree that coruch should start. It would be great to see inusa play, he played a couple of times last season and he done well so why not. Also leto has played a few 1st team games this season and has'nt done too bad so it would be good to see him play. i think its a certainty that lucas will start as he hasn't played for a few games. martin would proably do ok in goal, played aainst charlton last season and done ok.

martin

finnan, hobbs, carra, insua

pennant, lucas, alonso, leto

torres, crouch
      batman0077
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 564 posts |
      Reply #18: Jan 04, 2008 10:04:53 pm
      You know, I really think we should play some of our stronger players for this game. The past two league games we've not played top notch and matched our opponents degree of play, and look at what its earned us. Two points in 2 games. I know Luton definetly isn't world class, but Rafa better watch who he puts in. I agree with Torres and Crouch, but maybe throw in Masch and Alonso in the middle, and definetly keep carra and finnan in the back, maybe accompanied by Hyypia.

Bottom line, we can't underestimate them, no matter how horrible they are.

Let's Go Reds!! YNWA!!
      MsGerrard
      Reply #19: Jan 04, 2008 10:32:57 pm
      You know, I really think we should play some of our stronger players for this game. The past two league games we've not played top notch and matched our opponents degree of play, and look at what its earned us. Two points in 2 games. I know Luton definetly isn't world class, but Rafa better watch who he puts in. I agree with Torres and Crouch, but maybe throw in Masch and Alonso in the middle, and definetly keep carra and finnan in the back, maybe accompanied by Hyypia.

Bottom line, we can't underestimate them, no matter how horrible they are.

Let's Go Reds!! YNWA!!

I agree with you on this Batman, unfortunately we can't afford to take any chances, which is a real shame because you should be able to play some of your 'lesser' players in a game like this.

Maybe one or two in the team, but that's all, the rest should be first teamers, we certainly can't afford to not win this game, can you imagine the stick Rafa would get from the press and media in general if we lose this, doesn't bear thinking about does it?

And some of the so-called Liverpool  (Rafa should go) fans would be calling for his head, especially as according to some people we aren't even going to finish in the top 4 this season :f_steam:

I'm going for 2-0 to the boys in Red.........Come On :kop5cf8koxp6:
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #20: Jan 04, 2008 10:43:03 pm
      7kingkenny7, I don't remember Martin having played a first team game for us?

If memory serves me correctly the Charlton game last season was Daniel Padelli's one & only game for the reds, and he had an absolute stinker.
      southafrican_red
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 356 posts |
      • With hope in your heart...
      Reply #21: Jan 04, 2008 10:48:08 pm
      At the risk of sounding like a broken record...this is a game we shouldnt be worrying about. but that said we still have to go out there and win it . i predict 3-0 to us!
      MsGerrard
      Reply #22: Jan 04, 2008 10:55:10 pm
      7kingkenny7, I don't remember Martin having played a first team game for us?

If memory serves me correctly the Charlton game last season was Daniel Padelli's one & only game for the reds, and he had an absolute stinker.

Padelli was in goal for the Charlton game, he let the first goal in with -in a minute of the match starting ::) last match of the season  it was and we drew 2-2, Martin was an unused sub.

Quick Reply