Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Martin Škrtel (Liverpool -> Fenerbahce)

Read 240727 times
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Re: Martin Škrtel Player Thread
      Reply #2093: Mar 21, 2016 01:14:13 am
      For me, it's not a question of whether Skrtel is good enough for us.  I actually think he is a talented footballer.  Unfortunately, he is not at all suited to playing in a team that presses from the front and holds a high line.  In order to play like this, we need everyone to press as a unit, but Martin's instinct is always to drop off.  He is a good defender and could be an important player in a more pragmatic team (like a Mourinho team) where the defenders are instructed to drop off and just hold the 18 yard line.  However, he does not mesh with Klopp's tactics so I can't see him sticking around much longer....

The hatred is over the top, but that was one of the worst individual performances I've ever witnessed from a Liverpool player..... :-/
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #2094: Mar 21, 2016 03:44:38 am
      What was the rational for putting Martin on?

Only thing i can think of is that he was worried about Pelles pace against Kolo.

If that was the case I'd have thrown Can back into cb and brought hendo on instead of this calamitous moron.
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #2095: Mar 21, 2016 08:39:32 am
      Maybe he got nutmegged so much by Suarez in training (when he was around) that getting beaten has become a norm. Such is the disorientation that it is now perfectly acceptable to be beaten. And maybe BR didn't bother saying a thing to defenders about this either.

There you go. A weak mentality. Shows out in the field.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,028 posts | 529 
      Reply #2096: Mar 21, 2016 10:24:34 am
      I just find the vitriol for some of our players astounding. He didn'the have a good game, arguably he isn't good enough for us, but seriously some of the criticism is akin to him being a rapist or something.

I've never hated one of our own players to that extent. Not rated, yes. Hated? No. And particularly not a good honest pro who I sincerely hope would get a fantastic reaction whenever he returned to Anfield.

Pretty sure he will get a good reception when he comes back to Anfield in his retirement. As you say, he's been an honest, long-serving pro and that will be recognized by most fans once the knee-jerking has died down.

Funny that a supposed one man disaster area since he came to the club kept getting picked by every manager from Rafa to Kenny and now Klopp.

He was not at fault for the first 2 goals yesterday, and even the 3rd one - although he was at fault - that back-header was a difficult one to deal with, caused by Mig's ballooned clearance. ( And the clearance itself should have been straightforward.)

That said, I only saw the highlights,, and it may well be he had a shocker overall. But I doubt he was the only one in that second half.

Anyway, whether you think Skrtel's days with us are numbered or not, the hyperbole and scapegoating that goes on here after a bad result is ridiculous. I suppose at least this time its only Skrtel thats getting it. Usually its the entire squad that needs to be replaced come the summer.
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #2097: Mar 21, 2016 10:37:34 am

Anyway, whether you think Skrtel's days with us are numbered or not, the hyperbole and scapegoating that goes on here after a bad result is ridiculous. I suppose at least this time its only Skrtel thats getting it. Usually its the entire squad that needs to be replaced come the summer.

I dunno...check out the Benteke player thread. Some would have you believe he's become a worse striker than Voronin.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,028 posts | 529 
      Reply #2098: Mar 21, 2016 11:24:27 am
      I dunno...check out the Benteke player thread. Some would have you believe he's become a worse striker than Voronin.

Haha, I just take it for granted Benteke will get slagged after every game. He gets it even when he's not playing.
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #2099: Mar 21, 2016 12:41:59 pm
      Clearly lacks match sharpness. Needs a few games to find match rythm. Should come back stronger from internationals.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #2100: Mar 21, 2016 04:55:35 pm
      Clearly lacks match sharpness. Needs a few games to find match rythm. Should come back stronger from internationals.

Stronger maybe.

Still rubbish definitely.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #2101: Mar 21, 2016 05:22:39 pm
      He was not at fault for the first 2 goals yesterday, and even the 3rd one - although he was at fault - that back-header was a difficult one to deal with, caused by Mig's ballooned clearance. ( And the clearance itself should have been straightforward.)

I still say he was partially culpable for the first, not held the line and even being deeper, he's still had to have Sakho come across and try to save his arse. The way some are reacting, it's like it's the first time people have pointed out the weaknesses in Skrtel's game and that's far from the truth. Yesterday was one of the poorest 45 minutes from a single player that I've seen and it just highlighted what many have said for 3-4 years now. It's no slight on the player, at least not from me, it's just what I, amongst others, have witnessed.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2102: Mar 21, 2016 07:43:27 pm
      Pretty sure he will get a good reception when he comes back to Anfield in his retirement. As you say, he's been an honest, long-serving pro and that will be recognized by most fans once the knee-jerking has died down.

Funny that a supposed one man disaster area since he came to the club kept getting picked by every manager from Rafa to Kenny and now Klopp.

That said, I only saw the highlights,, and it may well be he had a shocker overall. But I doubt he was the only one in that second half.

Keep 'getting picked from every manager from Rafa and Kenny and now Klopp'?

Only by default on account of players retiring, players being injured and questionable sales (Agger) - THAT is why he has conjured up a long term career at the club. He's a very lucky guy but it's a complete joke to consider him anything more than a mid table player. And he is just that. Whether it's Glen Johnson, Stewart Downing, Andy Carroll etc we are where we are because of mid table players like Skrtel.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #2103: Mar 21, 2016 08:33:35 pm

Only by default on account of players retiring, players being injured and questionable sales (Agger) - THAT is why he has conjured up a long term career at the club. He's a very lucky guy but it's a complete joke to consider him anything more than a mid table player. And he is just that. Whether it's Glen Johnson, Stewart Downing, Andy Carroll etc we are where we are because of mid table players like Skrtel.

I'll use the training card as most use it for players that don't get into the team.... Skrtel must be beastly in training, that's why he gets in the team, who are we to question when we don't watch him everyday training ;)
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #2104: Mar 21, 2016 08:38:50 pm

Don't know if Agger is questionable, played in 50% the first season after he left, during his 2nd season, last I checked, he was on 33%. Although he wasn't happy with the way he left, he has admitted he was struggling to stay fit in our league and hasn't exactly found it easy in a lower standard league.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #2105: Mar 21, 2016 09:00:47 pm
      Maybe he got nutmegged so much by Suarez in training (when he was around) that getting beaten has become a norm. Such is the disorientation that it is now perfectly acceptable to be beaten. And maybe BR didn't bother saying a thing to defenders about this either.

There you go. A weak mentality. Shows out in the field.

Haha it's all BRs fault!!!
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #2106: Mar 22, 2016 03:28:09 am

ahh, there's that famous Liverpudlian wisdom we have the reputation for

Stronger maybe.

Still rubbish definitely.

and there's what it's become...
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,779 posts | 6728 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #2107: Mar 22, 2016 07:05:32 am
      Absolutely terrible, game changing performance.

Am sure Klopp will realise he fu**ed up big time bringing him on and he won't make that same mistake again.

Wonder what Kolo did wrong to have Skrtel get on the pitch before him.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #2108: Mar 22, 2016 07:24:44 am
      So Skrtel getting bullied by Pelle, does that now mean we will be targeting Pelle as a striker next season!
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #2109: Mar 22, 2016 07:33:37 am
      ahh, there's that famous Liverpudlian wisdom we have the reputation for

and there's what it's become...

This isn't a knee jerk reaction from supporters Skrtel is an average defender who should be in his prime now but is in fact regressing as a player season on season.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #2110: Mar 22, 2016 09:25:15 am
      This isn't a knee jerk reaction from supporters Skrtel is an average defender who should be in his prime now but is in fact regressing as a player season on season.

Should be in his prime? Not sure about that mate, he's 30 ish now. I think his prime was his second or third season for us, no doubt he's past his best now, but it does seem that people are looking for ways to pin those 3 goals unto his after he gave away the pen, when in fact there were bigger culprits for each of the goals.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #2111: Mar 22, 2016 10:56:57 am
      Should be in his prime? Not sure about that mate, he's 30 ish now. I think his prime was his second or third season for us, no doubt he's past his best now, but it does seem that people are looking for ways to pin those 3 goals unto his after he gave away the pen, when in fact there were bigger culprits for each of the goals.

I disagree mate the best CB's in football are all around 30 that's prime age for a CB... Thiago, Pique, Kompany, Chiellini, Godin.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #2112: Mar 22, 2016 11:32:15 am

Pretty close to how I am reading it too OR [first game back after a long injury? Always going to be risky.] but if we are being honest: what the F**k do me and you know? The only point of view which really matters, Jürgen's, will be seen soon enough in the next few teams he picks.

If I say I trust his judgement and if I don't believe that he'd pick players who he didn't believe to be good enough (both of which are true btw) then and because I can't have it both ways...

I'll happily accept that if Jürgen picks Martin; it's because he believes in him (and vice-versa, obviously).  8)

ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #2113: Mar 22, 2016 12:44:14 pm
      Pretty close to how I am reading it too OR [first game back after a long injury? Always going to be risky.] but if we are being honest: what the F**k do me and you know? The only point of view which really matters, Jürgen's, will be seen soon enough in the next few teams he picks.

If I say I trust his judgement and if I don't believe that he'd pick players who he didn't believe to be good enough (both of which are true btw) then and because I can't have it both ways...

I'll happily accept that if Jürgen picks Martin; it's because he believes in him (and vice-versa, obviously).  8)

One thing I do know is that I'd be a sh*te manager, so I won't criticize Klopp for getting it wrong on this occasion.
      A common saying I hear about easing players back in after injury, is "Wait until we're 2 goals up, then bring em on", Well we were 2 up, so it seemed like a good time to bring Skrtel and Benteke on, on this occasion it backfired, but that's football for you. Sometimes you don't get what you deserve in life, F**k it! On to the next game.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,708 posts | 3716 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #2114: Mar 22, 2016 01:03:47 pm
      With Matip, Sakho, Lovren and Gomez, I would cash in on Skrtel. He is past his prime. He was a decent servant but always error prone. 10M and he's off.
      shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 566 posts | 128 
      Reply #2115: Mar 22, 2016 01:25:59 pm
      He's off to China at the end of the season

Quick Reply