Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 15th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P13 W6 D5 L2

Martin Škrtel (Liverpool -> Fenerbahce)

Read 241349 times
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Re: Martin Škrtel Player Thread
      Reply #2116: Mar 22, 2016 02:55:18 pm
      One thing I do know is that I'd be a sh*te manager
      Ha ha... me too but I do try to be a half decent supporter of 'my' Reds/Shankly's trinity: warts and all. If I've nothing good to say about the lads; I (try to say) nothing.

That might be my Orchard County upbringing tho'.  :laugh:

Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #2117: Mar 22, 2016 10:06:19 pm
      With Matip, Sakho, Lovren and Gomez, I would cash in on Skrtel. He is past his prime. He was a decent servant but always error prone. 10M and he's off.

Two days later and I'm still fuming. I'd f**king pay £10 million just to get rid.

He's about as out of place in any Liverpool team as a Ken Dodd cameo in Schindlers List.

From bean to cup, he fucks up. Without Skrtel, we've had an erratic Moreno in past games, a poor Clyne at Old Trafford, Flanagan coming back after two years, Milner deputising at left back and Lovren shaky in the first half against Southampton yet, despite that, DESPITE THAT, we still looked fairly handy in defence and Mignolet was looking more comfortable. The minute this utter clown comes back and everything goes tits up and we are dragged down to his tawdry level of play.

Now I realise he should never have made it on to the field in the first place (because by all rights he should be nowhere near the club) and that Klopp should have rectified the midfield situation sooner, but even then, there's no excuse. We've all seen heroic backs to the wall defending in the past when the defence was pinned deep but that's because we had decent players in the past. Not sh*te like this idiot.

Endemic of the kind of mid table fodder that Liverpool have been buying in recent years. This guy would make even Villa puke.
      « Last Edit: Mar 22, 2016 10:22:24 pm by Son Of A Gun »
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #2118: Mar 23, 2016 05:31:15 am
      He's off to China at the end of the season

No chance. If he goes it'll probably be to an Italian club or to a worse premier league club. My money would be on Newcastle if Rafa stays up. Skrtel would continue to do well financially and would join a decent club with a manager who knows and rates him. He'd also be the first choice centre back there every week.
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #2119: Mar 23, 2016 09:22:48 am
      Two days later and I'm still fuming. I'd f**king pay £10 million just to get rid.

He's about as out of place in any Liverpool team as a Ken Dodd cameo in Schindlers List.

From bean to cup, he fucks up. Without Skrtel, we've had an erratic Moreno in past games, a poor Clyne at Old Trafford, Flanagan coming back after two years, Milner deputising at left back and Lovren shaky in the first half against Southampton yet, despite that, DESPITE THAT, we still looked fairly handy in defence and Mignolet was looking more comfortable. The minute this utter clown comes back and everything goes tits up and we are dragged down to his tawdry level of play.

Now I realise he should never have made it on to the field in the first place (because by all rights he should be nowhere near the club) and that Klopp should have rectified the midfield situation sooner, but even then, there's no excuse. We've all seen heroic backs to the wall defending in the past when the defence was pinned deep but that's because we had decent players in the past. Not sh*te like this idiot.

Endemic of the kind of mid table fodder that Liverpool have been buying in recent years. This guy would make even Villa puke.

F***ing hell, did he scratch your car?
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #2120: Mar 24, 2016 12:20:37 pm
      will be sold to first bidder this summer with Matip coming in and the others improving cant see him getting a place and at his age he needs to play week in week out whilst he can
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #2121: Mar 24, 2016 10:12:12 pm
      A great example of a player that many have over rated or taken to because of a 'Monster' tag that really don't get the criticism and scrutiny they deserve.
      He hasn't been consistently good through out his career at LFC
      Had some stellar games but over all not good enough
      Often think back to how City were supposedly in for him a while back....would he have been better there or would he have been as exposed in his inconsistencies as he has been with us?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,303 posts | 4949 
      Reply #2122: Mar 24, 2016 10:46:58 pm
      How to we explain Martin playing under no less than 5 different Liverpool managers if he's as bad as made out in here?

I've always been a fan of his but do admit he hasn't looked as good this season but the stuff said about him is way over the top lately.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2123: Mar 24, 2016 11:18:30 pm
      How to we explain Martin playing under no less than 5 different Liverpool managers if he's as bad as made out in here?

I've always been a fan of his but do admit he hasn't looked as good this season but the stuff said about him is way over the top lately.

Think injuries to Agger, Carra retiring, Sakho being injured and Lovren not settling under Rodgers has played apart.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2124: Mar 24, 2016 11:43:28 pm

He's had his good seasons and his poor ones but he's always played in a similar manner.

- Drops far too deep at times
      - Rarely stays in line with the rest of the defence
      - Can get attracted to the ball too much
      - Constantly pulling people to the ground in the box (somehow he hasn't given away 20 pens a season)
      - Hoofs the ball up field too often

+ Very good at slide tackling
      + Decent short passing
      + OK strength, could be better though
      + Can be strong aerially

IMO he shouldn't be anymore than 4th choice now. If we can get a group of 4 better than him then we should go for it. Lovren, Sakho, Matip and one more with Gomez as somebody who can provide back up across the entire back line.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #2125: Mar 24, 2016 11:57:34 pm

We had this debate a few years ago and he was probably seen to his best under Kenny but Mcarz gives a very good summary in my opinion.

My guess is he'll be the first of the CBs out the door.

Sakho/Lovren are clearly ahead of him in Jürgen's pecking order. Matip is clearly coming in to start, Gomez is likely be the one to develop and Toure will also probably leave. Lucas has proven he can play the role to a higher standard, albeit over a short number of games so the room for a player on probably £80k+ a week isn't there.

Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #2126: Mar 25, 2016 05:46:47 pm
      Think injuries to Agger, Carra retiring, Sakho being injured and Lovren not settling under Rodgers has played apart.

Yep, in that aspect he's been incredibly lucky to make it this far.

Skrtel still being on the books at Liverpool speaks volumes about the state of our defence in recent years.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #2127: Mar 25, 2016 05:48:28 pm
      He's had his good seasons and his poor ones but he's always played in a similar manner.

- Drops far too deep at times
      - Rarely stays in line with the rest of the defence
      - Can get attracted to the ball too much
      - Constantly pulling people to the ground in the box (somehow he hasn't given away 20 pens a season)
      - Hoofs the ball up field too often

+ Very good at slide tackling
      + Decent short passing
      + OK strength, could be better though
      + Can be strong aerially

IMO he shouldn't be anymore than 4th choice now. If we can get a group of 4 better than him then we should go for it. Lovren, Sakho, Matip and one more with Gomez as somebody who can provide back up across the entire back line.

Strength is piss poor from Skrtel. Bullied by Southampton and before that, absolutely murdered at Watford.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2128: Mar 25, 2016 07:52:48 pm
      Strength is piss poor from Skrtel. Bullied by Southampton and before that, absolutely murdered at Watford.

Those are the times when I think he could/should be better.
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #2129: Mar 25, 2016 08:03:40 pm
      So far fantastic performance from Skrtel in international friendly. He needs minutes after injury to claim his stake in Klopps side. True leader for Slovakia
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #2130: Mar 25, 2016 09:58:51 pm
      Clean sheet for Skrtel.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2131: Mar 25, 2016 11:55:36 pm
      So far fantastic performance from Skrtel in international friendly. He needs minutes after injury to claim his stake in Klopps side. True leader for Slovakia

F**k me sideways and stop the F***ing press! And against the mighty Latvia as well!

Away with yer pish takin' nonsense!
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #2132: Mar 26, 2016 10:25:20 am

Oh well, that's okay. Against mighty Latvia too as FMS notes.

How many more are going to be apologists for this car crash of a football player? He's sh*t pal, accept it and move on. Then perhaps Liverpool FC can move on for once.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8621 
      Reply #2133: Mar 26, 2016 11:29:50 am
      Oh well, that's okay. Against mighty Latvia too as FMS notes.

How many more are going to be apologists for this car crash of a football player? He's sh*t pal, accept it and move on. Then perhaps Liverpool FC can move on for once.

Why don't you shut the F**k up you boring tw*t!!

Seriously your hatred of Skrtel is on par with lfcoverthewater with his hatred of rafa.

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,501 posts | 4840 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #2134: Mar 26, 2016 11:46:01 am

How over the top are you?

Seriously what the F***ing hell is that sh*te you written there?

Grow up.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2135: Mar 26, 2016 01:03:44 pm
      Why don't you shut the f**k up you boring tw*t!!

Seriously your hatred of Skrtel is on par with lfcoverthewater with his hatred of rafa.

I don't know why you guys attack the poster rather than the content you disagree with. This is exactly what MODS warn against. If he said the same thing about Balotelli as in regards to being a bad striker for us you probably would have clicked like. Honestly, the hypocrisy in such hatred about hatred doesn't make sense. I think Skrtel is one of the worst defenders I seen play for us and I said that for a long time now, last game had no impact my opinion and I was half expecting us to throw a win away when he came on for Lovren when it was still 2-0.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #2136: Mar 26, 2016 01:39:54 pm
      Why don't you shut the f**k up you boring tw*t!!

Oh please! And it's hardly on par with his hatred of Rafa - Rafa is a legend who actually won us things remember. Unless there's a stack of trophies Skrtel valiantly led us to....

Just pointing out facts, it was okay for everyone to pour bile on Lovren in his first year, but Skrtel has got a reprieve from the likes of you time and time and time again. I don't care if he's been here for nearly a decade - it's an indictment on how poor we have become that he is miraculously still here. Until some fans get it in their heads that he will never be good enough for us, then we have no standards whatsoever to live up to. Maybe I missed that memo that 6-8th place finishes are our standards and that mediocrity like Skrtel is the player for that level
      « Last Edit: Mar 26, 2016 01:58:15 pm by Son Of A Gun »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8621 
      Reply #2137: Mar 26, 2016 03:57:59 pm
      Oh please! And it's hardly on par with his hatred of Rafa - Rafa is a legend who actually won us things remember. Unless there's a stack of trophies Skrtel valiantly led us to....

Just pointing out facts, it was okay for everyone to pour bile on Lovren in his first year, but Skrtel has got a reprieve from the likes of you time and time and time again. I don't care if he's been here for nearly a decade - it's an indictment on how poor we have become that he is miraculously still here. Until some fans get it in their heads that he will never be good enough for us, then we have no standards whatsoever to live up to. Maybe I missed that memo that 6-8th place finishes are our standards and that mediocrity like Skrtel is the player for that level

And there was me thinking it was a team game, that includes the likes of Gerrard and Carragher too then!

I don't know why you guys attack the poster rather than the content you disagree with. This is exactly what MODS warn against. If he said the same thing about Balotelli as in regards to being a bad striker for us you probably would have clicked like. Honestly, the hypocrisy in such hatred about hatred doesn't make sense. I think Skrtel is one of the worst defenders I seen play for us and I said that for a long time now, last game had no impact my opinion and I was half expecting us to throw a win away when he came on for Lovren when it was still 2-0.

It's simple, I don't disagree about Skrtel having a F***ing shocker against Southampton, it's just the endless whinging like your doing about Skrtel being the "worst defender we've ever had" and there is a F***ing big list to choose from but Skrtel would be nowhere near top of!!
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,501 posts | 4840 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #2138: Mar 26, 2016 04:43:14 pm
      Rate him or not rate him going out of your way to write endless upon endless paragraphs to slag the lad in the most unconstructive of ways possible is sh*t. Lovren at the start of his LFC career and Balotelli before he left hadn't give 100% every time they'd put a red shirt on over the course of 8 seasons.

Has our defence been better since he has been out? Yes.

Is he to blame for the rise in people turning to food banks on Merseyside? No.

He doesn't deserve a free ride at all but maybe a bit more respect like most Liverpool players who've given their all over the course of that long a period.

Quick Reply