Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 10th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W2 D1 L0

Martin Škrtel (Liverpool -> Fenerbahce)

Read 243730 times
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Re: Martin Škrtel Player Thread
      Reply #2139: Mar 26, 2016 05:21:43 pm
      Rate him or not rate him going out of your way to write endless upon endless paragraphs to slag the lad in the most unconstructive of ways possible is sh*t. Lovren at the start of his LFC career and Balotelli before he left hadn't give 100% every time they'd put a red shirt on over the course of 8 seasons.

Has our defence been better since he has been out? Yes.

Is he to blame for the rise in people turning to food banks on Merseyside? No.

He doesn't deserve a free ride at all but maybe a bit more respect like most Liverpool players who've given their all over the course of that long a period.

Sorry but I find it hard to sympathise with players on massive wages and who constantly fail time and time again. The 'Holy Trinity' doesn't exist anymore - only really between manager and fans these days - and the true loyal players are an exception rather than the rule.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,332 posts | 774 
      Reply #2140: Mar 26, 2016 05:25:42 pm
      On his day has played well for the Reds, maybe coming to the end of his career at Anfield.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,509 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #2141: Mar 26, 2016 05:52:11 pm
      Sorry but I find it hard to sympathise with players on massive wages and who constantly fail time and time again. The 'Holy Trinity' doesn't exist anymore - only really between manager and fans these days - and the true loyal players are an exception rather than the rule.

You mean it doesn't exist in the world where you want it to be right that you bizarrely tear him a new one and personally slate him at every opportunity.

Nobody is asking you to sympathise with anybody but maybe try and be a bit more constructive instead of being so F***ing odd with it all.

That'll do.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2142: Mar 26, 2016 07:32:59 pm
      It's simple, I don't disagree about Skrtel having a f**king shocker against Southampton, it's just the endless whinging like your doing about Skrtel being the "worst defender we've ever had" and there is a f**king big list to choose from but Skrtel would be nowhere near top of!!
      If you actually read what I wrote I was careful to say one of the worst.. which is a whole lot different to worst. However, I can't say he is or isn't the worst, I can just say he is awful. It is hard to say who is or is not the worst, a lot of that is based on personal opinion... but I honestly am struggling to think of anyone worse, but I will stick by one of just to make sure I am correct.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2143: Mar 26, 2016 07:36:48 pm
      On his day has played well for the Reds, maybe coming to the end of his career at Anfield.
      Skrtel only played well when Carragher was playing. He couldn't pair with Agger or anyone else.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,332 posts | 774 
      Reply #2144: Mar 26, 2016 07:49:44 pm
      Skrtel apart, the side will never be successful until the back four is sorted out, along with the 'keeper.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,515 posts | 8684 
      Reply #2145: Mar 27, 2016 02:28:32 pm
      If you actually read what I wrote I was careful to say one of the worst.. which is a whole lot different to worst. However, I can't say he is or isn't the worst, I can just say he is awful. It is hard to say who is or is not the worst, a lot of that is based on personal opinion... but I honestly am struggling to think of anyone worse, but I will stick by one of just to make sure I am correct.

And you'd still be wrong you divvy, Tanner, Kvarme, Piechnick, Ruddock, Babb there's five of the the F***ing worst for F***ing starters!!
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2146: Mar 27, 2016 03:48:23 pm
      And you'd still be wrong you divvy, Tanner, Kvarme, Piechnick, Ruddock, Babb there's five of the the f**king worst for f**king starters!!
      You are a bit quick to call people divvy when you can't read. before you missed that I said one of, and now also it appears you missed more key information that which I mentioned one of the worst players that I have seen . I have not seen any of those players you listed play for us since they were playing when I was about 5. My original post was only about 3 lines of structured English.. not hard to decipher for somebody arrogant enough to call others divvy.
      « Last Edit: Mar 27, 2016 05:55:19 pm by Ribapuru »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,433 posts | 6423 
      Reply #2147: Mar 27, 2016 08:03:08 pm
      Skrtel has been a loyal servant to this club for some time. He's had ups and downs like every player and I can remember not that long ago when people would have scoffed at the thought of the club getting rid of him. He had a shocker the other night, that's for sure and he may not be the perfect fit for how Klopp wants to play, but while he is still a red, I assume he will give his all for this club. Till he doesn't, maybe we should cut him some slack.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,515 posts | 8684 
      Reply #2148: Mar 28, 2016 01:19:20 pm
      You are a bit quick to call people divvy when you can't read. before you missed that I said one of, and now also it appears you missed more key information that which I mentioned one of the worst players that I have seen . I have not seen any of those players you listed play for us since they were playing when I was about 5. My original post was only about 3 lines of structured English.. not hard to decipher for somebody arrogant enough to call others divvy.

Structured English what the F**k, if you're that young, chill the F**k out and get a sense of humour young'un!!

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2149: Mar 28, 2016 03:18:26 pm
      Structured English what the f**k, if you're that young, chill the f**k out and get a sense of humour young'un!!
      So you insult people when not even reading what they've put, then all of a sudden it was some kind of a Joke?

Request to mods: Please give us face palm emote.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #2150: Mar 29, 2016 07:01:15 am
      How to we explain Martin playing under no less than 5 different Liverpool managers if he's as bad as made out in here?

I've always been a fan of his but do admit he hasn't looked as good this season but the stuff said about him is way over the top lately.

We've always had bigger problems than Skrtel.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #2151: Mar 29, 2016 11:59:49 am
      I have always been a big advocate of Martin's and I am therefore a bit biased but if I 'pretend' to be a neutral looking in... reading what I read from "the World's most knowledgeable fans": I have to ask -

What is it you [those who don't rate Skrtel] reckon Rafa Benitez; Roy Hodgson; Kenny Dalglish; Brendan Rodgers and now, Jürgen Klopp saw/see in Martin that you don't?

I mean; it's bound to be something you've asked yourself - When you can see how "sh*te" he is; how could all of those managers (the majority of which are held in high esteem) have got it so wrong?   :-\
      harrydunn08

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #2152: Mar 29, 2016 02:06:37 pm
      I have always been a big advocate of Martin's and I am therefore a bit biased but if I 'pretend' to be a neutral looking in... reading what I read from "the World's most knowledgeable fans": I have to ask -

What is it you [those who don't rate Skrtel] reckon Rafa Benitez; Roy Hodgson; Kenny Dalglish; Brendan Rodgers and now, Jürgen Klopp saw/see in Martin that you don't?

I mean; it's bound to be something you've asked yourself - When you can see how "sh*te" he is; how could all of those managers (the majority of which are held in high esteem) have got it so wrong?   :-\

Martin fit with Rafa, Roy, and Dalglish's tactics better because all 3 managers liked to defend deeper.  Our defense was sh*t the whole time BR was in charge because you can't play a high line with a CB whose first instinct is to drop off.  Same logic is why he won't fit with Klopp's tactics.  He is a good footballer and a good defender in the right setup, but that isn't the way our new manager wants to play.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,515 posts | 8684 
      Reply #2153: Mar 29, 2016 02:10:53 pm
      So you insult people when not even reading what they've put, then all of a sudden it was some kind of a Joke?

Request to mods: Please give us face palm emote.

I do when they are a F***ing gobs***e c**t and you're a gobs***e F***ing c**t!!

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,354 posts | 4969 
      Reply #2154: Mar 29, 2016 07:15:08 pm

I asked the same question the other day mate and no one could really answer it as far as I could see.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,230 posts | 4421 
      Reply #2155: Mar 29, 2016 07:18:28 pm
      I asked the same question the other day mate and no one could really answer it as far as I could see.

I think Harry has answered it quite eloquently above.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #2156: Mar 29, 2016 08:16:31 pm
      Seeing as this debate continues to rumble here is Mcarz's very good description of Skrtel.

He's had his good seasons and his poor ones but he's always played in a similar manner.

- Drops far too deep at times
      - Rarely stays in line with the rest of the defence
      - Can get attracted to the ball too much
      - Constantly pulling people to the ground in the box (somehow he hasn't given away 20 pens a season)
      - Hoofs the ball up field too often

+ Very good at slide tackling
      + Decent short passing
      + OK strength, could be better though
      + Can be strong aerially

IMO he shouldn't be anymore than 4th choice now. If we can get a group of 4 better than him then we should go for it. Lovren, Sakho, Matip and one more with Gomez as somebody who can provide back up across the entire back line.

Harry also says exactly why Klopp will most probably move him on first.

We had this debate during Brendan's time, it was clear Skrtel didn't suit aggressive front foot defending, he is happy being the 'mop' at the back. A combination of a high line, Skrtel and Mignolet who stays rooted it is a recipe for disaster.

Kenny and Rafa, as Harry rightly points out, set up in a way that Skrtel could defend reasonably well in. However using Brendan's time here as any kind of a defence for any defender is laughable, only a brief spell of about 10 games where we had 6 away clean sheets on the spin did we ever look close to 'secure' at the back. That fell apart and when looked back on as a whole it is much easier to praise Brendan as the attacking coach than it is to dwell on his poor defensive record.

As for Jürgen backing Skrtel, he's simply inherited him. Sure he may have chosen him above Toure against Saints but other than that I don't think he's had too many occasions to actually chose him ahead of anyone due to injuries. We'll know come the summer but to me it looks as if the writing is very much on the wall.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2157: Mar 29, 2016 08:38:06 pm
      Given away a penalty to Ireland.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2158: Mar 29, 2016 09:13:15 pm
      I do when they are a f**king gobs***e c**t and you're a gobs***e f**king c**t!!

Where did you learn such language? you must be a genius to have such a vocabulary. <-- you see, that is a joke.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,515 posts | 8684 
      Reply #2159: Mar 30, 2016 11:49:15 am
      Where did you learn such language? you must be a genius to have such a vocabulary. <-- you see, that is a joke.

The Kop!!

And I'm talking about the old standing one - a proper Scouse education.

Not a genius, just a proper Liverpool fan, unlike you!
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,614 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #2160: Mar 30, 2016 01:02:24 pm
      I like big Squirtle he has always given 100%, but I agree with most I think his time is up.

Id be starting Kolo ahead of him with lovren. Think Sahko could be gone too.

Matip, Gomez, Lovren & Kolo as 4th choice next season.
      Scottbot

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #2161: Mar 30, 2016 01:16:28 pm
      As for Jürgen backing Skrtel, he's simply inherited him. Sure he may have chosen him above Toure against Saints but other than that I don't think he's had too many occasions to actually chose him ahead of anyone due to injuries. We'll know come the summer but to me it looks as if the writing is very much on the wall.

I wouldn't be so certain, the fact he threw Skrtel on (despite his match-fitness concerns) ahead of Toure (despite his recent solid performances) would suggest it isn't cut and dry.

We had this debate during Brendan's time, it was clear Skrtel didn't suit aggressive front foot defending, he is happy being the 'mop' at the back. A combination of a high line, Skrtel and Mignolet who stays rooted it is a recipe for disaster.

I agree to a point BUT Jürgen sets his teams up to defend FAR FAR better than Brendan ever did. When it works (as we have seen in numerous games this season) it is clear the whole team (especially the midfield) know their jobs in terms of when to press, when to drop, when to shut the line, when to force things inside etc. It is a coordinated effort. Brendan talked a good game when it came to pressing the ball and being on the front foot BUT his system put unnecessary pressure on the centre-halves. Klopp's defensive philosophy is far more cohesive.

Our defense was sh*t the whole time BR was in charge because you can't play a high line with a CB whose first instinct is to drop off.  Same logic is why he won't fit with Klopp's tactics.

He does like to drop off and sweep but I don't think it is fair to judge any of our defenders on their time under Brendan, i'd rather see Skrtel playing for Klopp before making that call. Lovren was horrendous last season but look at him now and how quickly opinions/perceptions can change on a player, especially defenders.

Skrtel took a ton of criticism for the Saints performance but it wasn't the game for him to come on, I know he had a shocker but the truth of it is that if Brendan had made that call the vitriol would have been directed at the manager rather than the player. Because it's Klopp the player got took the lions share of the blame. There were some awful posts in this thread. It was the wrong call from the manager. 

Quick Reply