Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Martin Škrtel (Liverpool -> Fenerbahce)

Read 241738 times
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Re: Martin Škrtel Player Thread
      Reply #2185: May 02, 2016 01:08:32 am
      The one always popping up in these clusterfuck matches eh....

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #2186: May 02, 2016 02:36:29 am
      I'm not the biggest Skrtel fan, but he is not a bad player. Not suited to how way we now play and fallen behind Toure in the pecking order. I could easily see him having a stonking season for someone else, but his weaknesses are further exposed by the way Klopp wants us to play.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,240 posts | 850 
      Reply #2187: May 02, 2016 09:19:16 am
      I'm not the biggest Skrtel fan, but he is not a bad player. Not suited to how way we now play and fallen behind Toure in the pecking order. I could easily see him having a stonking season for someone else, but his weaknesses are further exposed by the way Klopp wants us to play.

Sorry mate, he has been exposed so many times that we sometimes turn a blind eye on it because he either scores an important goal in a game or recovers from his mistake by doing a crucial tackle.

I don't think it's the way we play, it's the same under Rodgers. He always plays deep, his positioning is frankly non existent and he doesn't understand teamwork. I remember Carragher's last season with us when Kenny prefered Skrtel-Agger partnership and we were conceding goals right left and center, and when Kenny decided to drop Skrtel and play Carragher again we looked a lot more solid and we conceded less goals than we should (that was back when Kenny was first made the manager).

I don't want to scapegoat him for yesterday's game because honestly everyone was utter crap and I think our midfield did worse than our defense. However, Skrtel is a very average defender that wouldn't walk into a top 5 team.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #2188: May 02, 2016 12:10:53 pm
      Last 2 seasons haven't been good for Skrtel, but it annoys me when people act like he's always been poor. His first season when he was finding his feet was bad, but since then, up until the last 2 seasons , he's was a very good player.
      Sometimes it happens that a players declines quickly, and before time (Brazilian Ronaldo for example), it up to the manager to watch out for this and have a replacement lined up. I'm sure Klopp sees his time is up.
      Scottbot

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #2189: May 02, 2016 08:59:44 pm
      Last 2 seasons haven't been good for Skrtel, but it annoys me when people act like he's always been poor. His first season when he was finding his feet was bad, but since then, up until the last 2 seasons , he's was a very good player.
      Sometimes it happens that a players declines quickly, and before time (Brazilian Ronaldo for example), it up to the manager to watch out for this and have a replacement lined up. I'm sure Klopp sees his time is up.

Same here mate, he deserves a lot better. When you've got players like Lucas and Skrtel who have effectively given the majority of their careers in service to the club they deserve some respect, even if they put in performances that stink up the joint as Martin has done a couple of times recently. It goes way over the top, Current fan favourite Lovren was terrible at the weekend and yet it's been insinuated by a good few that this was Skrtels fault.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #2190: May 15, 2016 10:12:28 pm
      Looks like Martin has played his final game in the famous Red. A beast of a player a one time! Some people may have forgotten how important you were, but not me.
      All the best Martin and thanks!
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #2191: May 16, 2016 12:36:12 am
      All the best to him if it was his last game. Definitely the right time for him to go, but he's been a good player for the club and I'll be eternally grateful for his contribution in the league cup final and in 13/14 where he scored a lot of vital goals.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2192: May 16, 2016 12:43:22 am
      Looks like Martin has played his final game in the famous Red. A beast of a player a one time! Some people may have forgotten how important you were, but not me.
      All the best Martin and thanks!

I've been his harshest critic (and have admittedly gone overboard at times in the worst kind of kneejerk/heat of the moment fashion) but he's played for Liverpool over a significant period of my life and everyone else's. I've gone from teenager to adult during his time at Anfield. We've had some highs and lows but I don't doubt that Martin has been proud to call Liverpool home. If it is his last game then I can only thank him for the past 8 and a half years. For that is a fantastic length of service at a great club of which I can only stand up, applaud and dream about myself.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #2193: May 16, 2016 01:41:16 am
      I've been his harshest critic (and have admittedly gone overboard at times in the worst kind of kneejerk/heat of the moment fashion) but he's played for Liverpool over a significant period of my life and everyone else's. I've gone from teenager to adult during his time at Anfield. We've had some highs and lows but I don't doubt that Martin has been proud to call Liverpool home. If it is his last game then I can only thank him for the past 8 and a half years. For that is a fantastic length of service at a great club of which I can only stand up, applaud and dream about myself.

Very well put FMS, echo the sentiment.

I've had a rollercoaster ride with Skrts, I think the systems have played against him. When he truly excelled was in the middle of a back 3 in a brief period under Brendan. I thought he suited that role perfectly and looked like he hit his top form there. Since then it's all been downhill I'm afraid and the time is right for him to find another challenge.

I'll miss the man but I wont miss the player, we need better for the style we will play.

If it is farewell, as it appears, best of luck to you Skrts and thanks.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,882 posts | 6815 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #2194: May 16, 2016 08:16:23 am
      Yep agreed , he's had more then his fair share of frustrating moments for us but when he was good, he was a Rock.  All the best for the future Martin, if that was your last game wearing the famous RED.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,599 posts | 1813 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #2195: May 16, 2016 10:09:56 am
      Was our best defender for a good while, Will be sadly missed, always given 100%. But we move on, times are a changing as they say.

Good luck Martin YNWA lad.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,727 posts | 3741 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #2196: May 16, 2016 03:04:08 pm
      Thanks Skrtel for many years but I think that Klopp has thought wisely that he is surpass our team. His brilliance has passed long time along.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #2197: May 26, 2016 12:20:22 am
      Agent says it is 90% certain Martin will leave Liverpool.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #2198: May 26, 2016 12:39:20 am
      Agent says it is 90% certain Martin will leave Liverpool.

and I have 110% faith in his predictions, which means there's a 1% chance that Skrtel stays and I'm 99% convinced that wont happen.

Safe to say that on the balance of probabilities and chance that Skrtel has, with a margin of error of 0.01%, no chance of staying.

Simple really.
      ruthcity

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #2199: May 26, 2016 12:15:28 pm
      Thank you for your service and dedication Martin. It's a privilege to have seen you play for us. You were a hell of a player on your day. I'm sure we'll meet again. Congrats on gaining promotion to the Liverpool legends team. See you soon.  :f_tongueincheek:
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,604 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #2200: May 26, 2016 01:30:20 pm
      Could be on his way to Besiktas.

If so, can only wish him all the best. Good luck Martin :)    Watch that pullin-n-draggin!!
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,326 posts | 773 
      Reply #2201: May 26, 2016 02:03:18 pm
      Good luck to Martin, hope that things go well for him, wherever he ends up playing.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #2202: Jun 11, 2016 07:04:49 pm
      Getting ripped to bits on social media - appalling and frankly dirty and disappointing performance against Wales. It was obvious the manager told them to kick seven bells out of the Welsh, as is so often the case with dire international teams.

We can't surely keep him on at this club - if we are to aspire to be anything great again, there's no room at all for this kind of player.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,258 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #2203: Jun 11, 2016 07:17:57 pm
      Getting ripped to bits on social media - appalling and frankly dirty and disappointing performance against Wales. It was obvious the manager told them to kick seven bells out of the Welsh, as is so often the case with dire international teams.

We can't surely keep him on at this club - if we are to aspire to be anything great again, there's no room at all for this kind of player.

Souness disagrees.

But I do agree I think his time at the club may be coming to and end.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #2204: Jun 11, 2016 07:26:34 pm
      Seriously, who gives a flying f*** if Skrtel was kicking the sh** out of the Welsh? He's always been a dirty c*** anyway, it's hardly news. What next, breaking news that Simon Mignolet is a "bit jittery"?
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,506 posts | 3457 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #2205: Jun 11, 2016 07:30:39 pm

bollocks, can't judge his Liverpool career on that game, you can have a pop at him for many things but the incident with Williams wasn't as bad as it looked and the slovaks certainly weren't out to deliberately target the welsh
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2206: Jun 11, 2016 07:33:06 pm
      He was really sh*t tonight but at least he was violently sh*t rather than the sort of Chuckle Brothers sh*t we saw in a red shirt!
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,326 posts | 773 
      Reply #2207: Jun 11, 2016 08:57:42 pm
      Another poor performance from Martin. On the plus side great to see Wales open up with a win.

Quick Reply