Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Hurry: Offer Rafa a new contract

Read 20018 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Re: Hurry: Offer Rafa a new contract
      Reply #207: Feb 19, 2009 07:01:06 pm
      No can do.

He's already disappeared up Gillett's.
      :lmao:   now you see him.......now you don't(if only)   
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #208: Feb 19, 2009 09:12:03 pm
      Rick Parry's going to set up this little table in the centre circle.

He'll invite Rafa on to the pitch.

Give him a pen and the contract.

And then do a spot of magic for the crowd.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      Reply #209: Feb 20, 2009 08:42:28 am
      Benitez bid for budget control fails
      Liverpool manager close to signing new contract after giving in on cash demand
      By Ian Herbert
      Friday, 20 February 2009

Rafael Benitez appears to have had to compromise over his demands for complete control over his club's transfer budget, with Liverpool's owners unwilling to hand over a sum that he is free to spend on players as he sees fit, as part of his new contract.

Benitez appears to be close to ending the drawn-out contract process which has created such uncertainty at Anfield, by putting pen to paper soon on a new £3.5m-a-year deal, and though it would appear that he will be able to answer more directly to the club's owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks under the auspices of the contract, the desire he expressed last month for a budget with which he is free to work does not appear to be one the club can satisfy.

Benitez has said he wanted a budget he could spend at his own discretion. "If you have £20m you can sign four players at £5m, one for £20m or one of £15m and another of £5m," he said recently. "Who will know how the money should be spent? One person – the manager, because he knows who he wants for his squad. Who will know the value of the player? The manager."

Rest of Article

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,540 posts | 1774 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #210: Feb 20, 2009 10:43:00 am
      Hope it get sorted soon
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #211: Feb 21, 2009 01:19:44 am
      I think it be announced before the City game. But who knows! I just want it done and dusted asap.
      StevieIsStillGod
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 288 posts | 10 
      Reply #212: Feb 21, 2009 01:28:04 am
      That's a joke, they won't give Rafa the final say in who comes and goes.

I think we should relay that duty to a game of roulette. Rafa will pick 2 players, Parry will google 2, and the wheel decides. Hooray for wasting income...
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #213: Feb 21, 2009 01:39:05 am
      Benitez bid for budget control fails
      Liverpool manager close to signing new contract after giving in on cash demand
      By Ian Herbert
      Friday, 20 February 2009

Rafael Benitez appears to have had to compromise over his demands for complete control over his club's transfer budget, with Liverpool's owners unwilling to hand over a sum that he is free to spend on players as he sees fit, as part of his new contract.

Benitez appears to be close to ending the drawn-out contract process which has created such uncertainty at Anfield, by putting pen to paper soon on a new £3.5m-a-year deal, and though it would appear that he will be able to answer more directly to the club's owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks under the auspices of the contract, the desire he expressed last month for a budget with which he is free to work does not appear to be one the club can satisfy.

Benitez has said he wanted a budget he could spend at his own discretion. "If you have £20m you can sign four players at £5m, one for £20m or one of £15m and another of £5m," he said recently. "Who will know how the money should be spent? One person – the manager, because he knows who he wants for his squad. Who will know the value of the player? The manager."

Rest of Article

Well if this is anything to go by, it must be some good compromise.

Not letting a manager have control of who he see's fit within a price, is just ridiculous. But at the same time, it makes the manager a little less accountable to who he gets results for....

Hmmmm.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #214: Feb 22, 2009 03:50:14 am
      I wonder if this is true or not

Rafa holds Liverpool to ransom
      http://www.espnstar.com/football/premier-league/news/detail/item208776/Rafa-holds-Liverpool-to-ransom/

Rafael Benitez has turned Anfield into a war zone by snubbing a new contract offer and threatening to quit Liverpool.

The Anfield boss is close to his limit over the club's refusal to submit to his demands.

Benitez was given the terms to his new four-year deal in midweek, but shocked club supremos by refusing to sign for the fifth time. Co-owner Tom Hicks was thought to have compromised greatly to end three months' worth of negotiations and thoroughly expected Rafa to ink the new deal before the Reds host Manchester City.

However, Benitez has refused to sign off on the deal, in a clear demonstration of defiance, unless the board agrees to make even bigger compromises to suit him. The Spaniard has been pestering his bosses from across the Atlantic by email, accusing the owners of a lack in support.

Rafa has revealed that he cannot work any further under the current Liverpool hierarchy. Hicks has tried to placate his manager so far, but is running out of patience with the Spaniard.

It is now reported that Hicks is frustrated by Benitez's games and is close to suspending talks. The owner's representatives have been working round the clock to come up with an agreement to legitimise Rafa's control in transfers, while clearly being responsible to his board in this matter. The deal is reportedly worth 16 million pounds.

However, Benitez is claiming to Hicks that this is not enough, and is demanding that chief executive Rick Parry be removed from power, and co-owner George Gillett Jr. marginalised.

But Hicks can't give Rafa his word on the matter unless Liverpool is sold, which won't happen any time soon. There are rumours that Real Madrid are interested in securing the services of the former Valencia manager, and that Benitez is just stalling for time for the big move in the summer. Real tried to pry the Spaniard from Liverpool's proverbial fingers in December, but were unsuccessful in their attempt.

Benitez, is adamant that he wants to stay at Liverpool, but according to sources close to the Spaniard, he won't extend his current deal unless there is a major shake-up at Anfield.
      The Liverpool manager is risking Hicks calling off negotiations till the offseason.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
      Thanks you Yanks. Haven't Man United and Arsenal proven that stability of a manager's position is the key to a title winning team?
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #215: Feb 22, 2009 04:15:54 am
      I wonder if this is true or not

Rafa holds Liverpool to ransom
      http://www.espnstar.com/football/premier-league/news/detail/item208776/Rafa-holds-Liverpool-to-ransom/

Rafael Benitez has turned Anfield into a war zone by snubbing a new contract offer and threatening to quit Liverpool.

The Anfield boss is close to his limit over the club's refusal to submit to his demands.

Benitez was given the terms to his new four-year deal in midweek, but shocked club supremos by refusing to sign for the fifth time. Co-owner Tom Hicks was thought to have compromised greatly to end three months' worth of negotiations and thoroughly expected Rafa to ink the new deal before the Reds host Manchester City.

However, Benitez has refused to sign off on the deal, in a clear demonstration of defiance, unless the board agrees to make even bigger compromises to suit him. The Spaniard has been pestering his bosses from across the Atlantic by email, accusing the owners of a lack in support.

Rafa has revealed that he cannot work any further under the current Liverpool hierarchy. Hicks has tried to placate his manager so far, but is running out of patience with the Spaniard.

It is now reported that Hicks is frustrated by Benitez's games and is close to suspending talks. The owner's representatives have been working round the clock to come up with an agreement to legitimise Rafa's control in transfers, while clearly being responsible to his board in this matter. The deal is reportedly worth 16 million pounds.

However, Benitez is claiming to Hicks that this is not enough, and is demanding that chief executive Rick Parry be removed from power, and co-owner George Gillett Jr. marginalised.

But Hicks can't give Rafa his word on the matter unless Liverpool is sold, which won't happen any time soon. There are rumours that Real Madrid are interested in securing the services of the former Valencia manager, and that Benitez is just stalling for time for the big move in the summer. Real tried to pry the Spaniard from Liverpool's proverbial fingers in December, but were unsuccessful in their attempt.

Benitez, is adamant that he wants to stay at Liverpool, but according to sources close to the Spaniard, he won't extend his current deal unless there is a major shake-up at Anfield.
      The Liverpool manager is risking Hicks calling off negotiations till the offseason.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
      Thanks you Yanks. Haven't Man United and Arsenal proven that stability of a manager's position is the key to a title winning team?

No quotes, just before a very big game for us.

I'd be very sceptical about this ;)
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #216: Feb 22, 2009 04:26:41 am
      Found an update for you :)

http://www.guillembalague.com/rumores_desp.php?titulo=No%20crisis%20over%20Benitez%20contract&id=174

Following the press conference last Friday, I have the impression Rafa Benitez left enough ambiguous statements for people to take advantage....

Matters involving his contract are moving on and almost everything is agreed.

Probably the only stumbling block is the assurances the manager will be looking for in case the current owners leave the club. What would happen, for instance, if a new owner or investor refuses to invest in the squad for the next four years? Would you want to stay in a club where the team cannot be improved? I do think everybody is in agreement that some kind of clause has to be included in relation to that issue, but I believe it is a matter of days before Benitez signs a new contract at Liverpool.

What is clear is that it has been a very frustrating period for many at the club and that is what Benitez was referring to at Friday`s press conference: It is time to move on, but not forgetting the mistakes of the past.

Some people might write in the next few days that his analysis of the past means he has had enough; that he is ready to leave; that he is stalling on a new contract; that he has had a go at the owners. Dont believe it; it is yet another example of a foreign manager being misintepreted, or even the case of a manager that, not using his first language, does not manage to send the right, or a clear, message...

And they chose today of all days to put us off - it's all so simple.

Never mind eh - the press always try to get one over on us and Rafa.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #217: Feb 22, 2009 08:52:13 am
      Thanks Res. ;)
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,552 posts | 1668 
      • YNWA
      Reply #218: Feb 22, 2009 07:46:36 pm
      So you believe that instability is good? Uncertainty is good for a title challenge?

We may not be that far off from a challenge compared to the mid Houllier era but at the end of it we were far off. There's been a slow progression to get us back in a real title challenge under Rafa. Who's to say we can't keep progressing?

Personally I couldn't care less about other teams, so the need to see in the context of other teams not getting points or performing means nothing to me. We can only keep plugging away ourselves and let the others worry about us. And the other so called big teams have no advantage on us so far this season and will be worrying about us - we've taken important points off them.

If Rafa is offered a contract he sees fit for him to continue the progression, then there will be more focus on football by the players and the fans.

Just like Shanks said - everyone working for each other.

Shankly arrived in 59 with LFC bottom of Div 2. Within 5 years, they'd won Div 1. That's 5 years, not 15 ! So let's not get carried away with any Rafa/Shanks comparisons! No - obviously, instability is not good - but has Rafa not had 5 solid years to make his mark ?? Rafa's a good manager and has some fantastic 'qualities' (said with accent) - he's won trophies, he has the knack in Europe - but, based on the last 5 years, I'm still don't think he has what it takes in the premier league.

Example - one question. After 5 years are we not still overly dependant on just 2 players (SG & FT)? Is this not a HUGE problem - after 5 years!? And anyone who comes back arguing that we are NOT overly dependant on these 2 guys is I'm afraid delusional.

In addition, again this season, certain selections (have to single out Lucas - nothing short of dire), substitutions, and the inability to get 3 points against lesser teams (by being overly CAUTIOUS), in a season where Chelsea and Arsenal are patently NOT showing the form of last year, enforce the doubts. And that's putting the gurbbiness of the Robbie keane affair and the badly timed rant to one side.

The league is the bar against which the GREAT teams are measured and it's slippin away, again (no, we're not completely out of it and I'll be holding out for a miracle) - but just can't see Utd loosing 3 and us winning all ours, given the way we are playing.

And with Real Madrid on fire, it could be a rough next couple of weeks.

Btw, I guess I'm in the minority, but I reckon a 'true supporter'can express doubts without having LOYALTY called into question. Successful marraige ...open and honest communication ...

"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple."
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #219: Feb 22, 2009 09:53:48 pm
      I personally would defend anyones right to have a different opinion on issues about our club.What I find difficult to accept from Reds supporters is the knee jerk criticism of individual players or manager following a disappointing result as per chavs/gooners etc.Yep were all disappointed but take a step back and remember all of the sh*te that has been coming out of Anfield (off-field), I bet we don't know the half of it. Our players and manager see all of this day in day out and it must take its toll on morale.Our tradition(and remember we are 1 of the 3 graces at the club) is to keep the faith support the team and manager untill the end of the season, and ffs stop buying any f*cking papers ( except the Echo), because we already know how biased and anti-LFC they all are, basically they do not like anything Scouse.Come on Redmen keep the faith they could even be monitoring website such as this looking for ammunition.YNWA
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #220: Feb 23, 2009 12:53:11 am
      Found an update for you :)

http://www.guillembalague.com/rumores_desp.php?titulo=No%20crisis%20over%20Benitez%20contract&id=174

Following the press conference last Friday, I have the impression Rafa Benitez left enough ambiguous statements for people to take advantage....

Matters involving his contract are moving on and almost everything is agreed.

Probably the only stumbling block is the assurances the manager will be looking for in case the current owners leave the club. What would happen, for instance, if a new owner or investor refuses to invest in the squad for the next four years? Would you want to stay in a club where the team cannot be improved? I do think everybody is in agreement that some kind of clause has to be included in relation to that issue, but I believe it is a matter of days before Benitez signs a new contract at Liverpool.

What is clear is that it has been a very frustrating period for many at the club and that is what Benitez was referring to at Friday`s press conference: It is time to move on, but not forgetting the mistakes of the past.

Some people might write in the next few days that his analysis of the past means he has had enough; that he is ready to leave; that he is stalling on a new contract; that he has had a go at the owners. Dont believe it; it is yet another example of a foreign manager being misintepreted, or even the case of a manager that, not using his first language, does not manage to send the right, or a clear, message...

And they chose today of all days to put us off - it's all so simple.

Never mind eh - the press always try to get one over on us and Rafa.

Thought so.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #221: Feb 24, 2009 01:51:09 am
      Shankly arrived in 59 with LFC bottom of Div 2. Within 5 years, they'd won Div 1. That's 5 years, not 15 ! So let's not get carried away with any Rafa/Shanks comparisons! No - obviously, instability is not good - but has Rafa not had 5 solid years to make his mark ?? Rafa's a good manager and has some fantastic 'qualities' (said with accent) - he's won trophies, he has the knack in Europe - but, based on the last 5 years, I'm still don't think he has what it takes in the premier league.

Example - one question. After 5 years are we not still overly dependant on just 2 players (SG & FT)? Is this not a HUGE problem - after 5 years!? And anyone who comes back arguing that we are NOT overly dependant on these 2 guys is I'm afraid delusional.

In addition, again this season, certain selections (have to single out Lucas - nothing short of dire), substitutions, and the inability to get 3 points against lesser teams (by being overly CAUTIOUS), in a season where Chelsea and Arsenal are patently NOT showing the form of last year, enforce the doubts. And that's putting the gurbbiness of the Robbie keane affair and the badly timed rant to one side.

The league is the bar against which the GREAT teams are measured and it's slippin away, again (no, we're not completely out of it and I'll be holding out for a miracle) - but just can't see Utd loosing 3 and us winning all ours, given the way we are playing.

And with Real Madrid on fire, it could be a rough next couple of weeks.

Btw, I guess I'm in the minority, but I reckon a 'true supporter'can express doubts without having LOYALTY called into question. Successful marraige ...open and honest communication ...

"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple."

I know quite well when Shankly arrived and what he done. And in no way was I comparing Rafa to Shankly in my last post. Merely pointing out the notion of everyone working together - which lately there's so much division between owners, manager, chief exec and fans, it's F***ing pathetic!! Do you see what I mean now? There's no need to be on your high horse mate. Just read and take in what I said properly.

Ironically enough, you seem to be the one comparing Rafa to Shankly with this five years business. I'm not going to criticise you for that because we all know that Shankly transformed our club for the better and set a standard. But times have changed. The way football clubs operate has changed. And we have to accept that.

I agree that Torres and Gerrard are our two most influential players. Anyone can see that. Let's not forget it wasn't until the beginning of last season that Torres joined us too - so you could say in the last five years we've only had one big influential player for the first three of Rafa's reign. So without Torres and Gerrard having a real consistent run of games playing together this season, we're still up there ahead of anyone else apart from the mancs?

Let's face it. For the grief and limitation that Rafa has had, he could be doing a lot worse. And we could be doing a lot worse if he goes.

There's things I don't agree with with some of the things Rafa does. Some of the team selections, some of the positional play and the stubbornness to drop players who do good and play some players that do bad. But on the whole I think we're not far off now from a sustained challenge. Once the challenge comes, there is no limitation on improvement to the team - limitation on the manager being the key though. He needs to be in charge of football matters and not any suits!!

As for your comment on you reckon you're in the minority when you say a true supporter can express doubts, where did that come from? You're entitled to your opinion. And it would be nice if you expressed it not just straight after a match....
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #222: Feb 24, 2009 06:39:03 am
      Good post Kenny, when posters compare Bill Shankly to Rafa I think more emphasis should be placed on the disfunctional owners thatRafa has had to contend with.Shanks had a board that backed him as is evidenced by the record fees we paid for players when he set this club up for greatness.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #223: Feb 24, 2009 09:08:45 am
      If we take it as read that the principle of managerial control over transfer spending is a good thing for our club then; a quick, hypothetical, question:

What if, at the end of this brinkmanship, the damn Yankees call Rafa's bluff, should he leave as a matter of "principle"?

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,540 posts | 1774 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #224: Feb 24, 2009 10:38:25 am
      Im glad there has been a sensible report written as above, but I bet sky, bbc, setanta and rag newspapers don't mention mr balague's report!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #225: Feb 24, 2009 12:47:50 pm
      This is so obvious its embarrassing,Its unbelievable the depths the media will sink to unsettle LFC there's still time let's see what other pearlers they can create.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,552 posts | 1668 
      • YNWA
      Reply #226: Feb 24, 2009 10:18:14 pm
      I know quite well when Shankly arrived and what he done. And in no way was I comparing Rafa to Shankly in my last post. Merely pointing out the notion of everyone working together - which lately there's so much division between owners, manager, chief exec and fans, it's f**king pathetic!! Do you see what I mean now? There's no need to be on your high horse mate. Just read and take in what I said properly.

Ironically enough, you seem to be the one comparing Rafa to Shankly with this five years business. I'm not going to criticise you for that because we all know that Shankly transformed our club for the better and set a standard. But times have changed. The way football clubs operate has changed. And we have to accept that.

I agree that Torres and Gerrard are our two most influential players. Anyone can see that. Let's not forget it wasn't until the beginning of last season that Torres joined us too - so you could say in the last five years we've only had one big influential player for the first three of Rafa's reign. So without Torres and Gerrard having a real consistent run of games playing together this season, we're still up there ahead of anyone else apart from the mancs?

Let's face it. For the grief and limitation that Rafa has had, he could be doing a lot worse. And we could be doing a lot worse if he goes.

There's things I don't agree with with some of the things Rafa does. Some of the team selections, some of the positional play and the stubbornness to drop players who do good and play some players that do bad. But on the whole I think we're not far off now from a sustained challenge. Once the challenge comes, there is no limitation on improvement to the team - limitation on the manager being the key though. He needs to be in charge of football matters and not any suits!!

As for your comment on you reckon you're in the minority when you say a true supporter can express doubts, where did that come from? You're entitled to your opinion. And it would be nice if you expressed it not just straight after a match....

Well, on the post timing, I feel exactly the same now!?
      On were the team are - main reason - Gerrard. He's been unbelievable this season, brilliant, considering. Admitted, that's really boiling it down.
      Not goin to argue with you cause I'd have to knock Rafa some more and I don't want to.
      And I can't watch the match tomorrow, I've somethin I can't get out of so I'm pretty pissed off - though at least no knee-jerk post match comments in the pipes...
      Shandaman
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 611 posts |
      Reply #227: Feb 25, 2009 10:50:17 am
      Rafa Benitez insists Liverpool's UEFA Champions League tie against Real Madrid will have no bearing on his contract situation.

The Liverpool boss has yet to agree an extension to his Anfield contract, which expires at the end of next season.

Reports have suggested that Real, where Benitez played and served time on the coaching staff, want to appoint the Spaniard in the summer.

Knocking Real out of the Champions League would further enhance Benitez's reputation as his Liverpool future remains uncertain.

However, the former Valencia coach has played down any impact the outcome of the last-16 tie will have on his contract negotiations with Liverpool.
      Important game

"I don't think this game is important for my contract," said Benitez ahead of Wednesday's first leg at the Santiago Bernabeu.

"It is an important game for us as a club, that's it.

"You know the situation and we have to wait. We have a lot of important games coming up.

"You have to judge a manager on his career, not one or two games. That is my idea.

"If you have to decide on a manager on the basis of one or two games that is not the best decision."

Got it from sky sports.How important is this game for Rafa and his contract?
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,540 posts | 1774 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #228: Feb 25, 2009 10:55:55 am
      Its as big a game as any, we must come away with at least a goal I think. Personally I think we will shock them and score 1 or 2.

Dunno if we can keep them out though.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #229: Feb 25, 2009 11:08:29 am
      We are still dependant on 1 or 2 players, in ATTACK, since Rafa has taken over but its the quality around that which has been the difference. Gerrard is a strong personality, you cannot simply add another one as it could impact negatively on the team. You have to be careful and Rafa has brought in quality and character.

Our defence is so much better since Rafa has taken over too. We have world class players being left out instead of us crying to have a world class player.

I know we havent competed but thats the difference between Rafa and other managers, he thinks long term success rather than win this season and do nothing the next. To me that is the marquee signs of an excellent manager. How many time have we seen a club do so well one season only to drop off the next? (Spurs, Pompey, Blackburn)  a side note, because they sacked their manager because he couldnt live up to their previous season.

Rafa wanting to takeover the Academy shows how dedicated he is and how he really wants to build an empire. Let him do it for God sake, its for OUR benefit!

Quick Reply