Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 28th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P5 W1 D3 L1

Why is fourth place now acceptable to LFC ?

Read 2946 times
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Why is fourth place now acceptable to LFC ?
      Jan 14, 2008 06:28:13 pm
      For the past 10 years finishing fourth has been acceptable. This is no dig at Rafael Benitez because I know that if he was backed with the right money then he would of surely of got the players he bidded for.. eg - Simao, Alves etc etc

But again how much money has Arsene Wenger had to spend over the past few season's? Hardly anything! But he is only one of many managers who's got the ability to do that.

I believe the current style of our game is not the way Rafa likes us to play, simply because while he was in charge of Valencia you did not see them play a boring style. Rafa likes the ball to be played on the ground, I just think that he has a few things to learn about the game in English football. Also I think our defense upsets our attack, with a lot of long balls to the front of the pitch it makes it hard for build up play.

I think our biggest problem right now seems to be organization on and off the field, but we saw Rafa's 2nd season in charge of Liverpool are they were convincing enough to me.. but why has it all gone downhill from there?
      F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Re: Why is fourth place now acceptable to LFC ?
      Reply #1: Jan 14, 2008 06:30:22 pm
      Actually Arsene Wenger has apparently had millions to spend according to their chairman, he just didn't accept it because he is building a team.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #2: Jan 14, 2008 06:40:43 pm
      Actually Arsene Wenger has apparently had millions to spend according to their chairman, he just didn't accept it because he is building a team.

Thats why Arsenal are playing their trade in a spanking new stadium in London
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #3: Jan 14, 2008 06:47:41 pm
      We finished third last year.
      F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Reply #4: Jan 14, 2008 06:49:08 pm
      We finished third last year.
      I think Ra Ra Rafa is stating that realistically, we are looking at 4th place this season, better F***ing not next season.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #5: Jan 14, 2008 06:51:23 pm
      I think Ra Ra Rafa is stating that realistically, we are looking at 4th place this season, better F***ing not next season.

Obviously ;D but comming to think about it.. whats the difference between third & fourth? Not much and thats where we seem to be ranking around this season! Next season better be different!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #6: Jan 14, 2008 06:57:48 pm

I'm not looking at 4th place this season.  I'm looking at winning the title.  When we reach the point when we can't win the title I will start looking to finish second.
      F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Reply #7: Jan 14, 2008 06:58:02 pm
      Obviously ;D but comming to think about it.. whats the difference between third & fourth? Not much and thats where we seem to be ranking around this season! Next season better be different!
      Nothing atm, but with the new UCL format, you have to finnish 3rd to qualify automatically, and if you finnish 4th, then it is a random qualifying round draw. Could get people like Atlético, and AC Milan
      Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #8: Jan 14, 2008 06:58:37 pm
      Every one wants to bury this season already?!
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #9: Jan 14, 2008 07:00:25 pm
      Fourth is not acceptable and neither is third or second,we tolerate those league placings because they get us in to the European Champions Cup.We know what it is like to finish first ( 18 times  ) and that is what we all crave for and expect.
      Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #10: Jan 14, 2008 07:02:45 pm
      When you are the first, you are the first!When you are the second, youe nothing, Yes?
      I know you remember about it!
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #11: Jan 14, 2008 07:04:03 pm
      Every one wants to bury this season already?!

Unfortunately yes! Some much has been going on and off the pitch, its a complete shock to the fans, players and the manager himself.. because simply we were expecting more.. a lot more!
      Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #12: Jan 14, 2008 07:07:53 pm
      We always expect more. To be disappointed doesn't mean to lose hope!
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #13: Jan 14, 2008 07:11:16 pm
      We always expect more. To be disappointed doesn't mean to lose hope!

Losing hope and wanting to bury the season is two different matters! I've still got my hopes but at the same time my senses tell me that the FA Cup is our best bet, with the Champions League being a mammoth to win but can be done and the Premiership is just the same old story every single year! I have my hopes for the Champions League.. simply because we've proved ourselfs winners in that competition.. but drawing to Wigan at Anfield.. just not right!
      Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #14: Jan 14, 2008 07:19:19 pm
      Many things are not right if you want your team win always.
      I think every team have many other problems,
      For Liverpool we want to be ideal team.So we need wait more, if we want more than we have now.
      I know Liverpool are still able to compete this season!
      world belong to optimistic people
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #15: Jan 14, 2008 07:23:10 pm
      I believe we can still win the league until we cant mathamatically win it. You have to keep believing else whats the F***ing point.
      Until then we can win it and we are gonna win it. Belief is a powerful thing ..
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #16: Jan 14, 2008 07:26:47 pm
      Of course you need to keep believing, especially the players otherwise what urgency would they have when they step on the field? Thats how I feel their attitudes are flowing towards right now!
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #17: Jan 14, 2008 07:28:01 pm
      i disagree with most people who are writing liverpools season off already, until i'ts mathmatically impossible to finish first then that should be there aim , after all i'm sure that the only team to come from 18pts behind at xmas to win the title (us !) had been written off then also. people need to stop listening to speculation and rumours and get behind the manager and team, sod the board and owners their not the ones chasing the ball
      Frizzby5
      Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #18: Jan 14, 2008 07:29:28 pm
      I believe we can still win the league until we cant mathamatically win it. You have to keep believing else whats the F***ing point.
      Knowledge is more powerful thing, Pragm!
      I know that Liverpool win  is more powerful that I believe Liverpool win
      MsGerrard
      Reply #19: Jan 14, 2008 07:30:31 pm
      I believe we can still win the league until we cant mathematically win it. You have to keep believing else whats the F***ing point.

Absolutely agree with you Pragmatic.........4th place will never be acceptable to Liverpool Football Club.... and you never ever give up until the task ahead of you is  unreachable. :-\

You never stop believing, we didn't stop believing in May 2005 at half - time did we, and it's a good job the players believed in themselves. :)
      Kopster
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #20: Jan 14, 2008 07:46:23 pm
      The off the pitch stuff must effect the team... We are half-way through the season, still in the CL and the FA Cup, so hardly season over!
      Whatever is or isn't going on with the American Idiots needs to be sorted out quickly and then the players can get back focusing on the football and doing what we do best. Fighting back at the competition have written us off.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #21: Jan 15, 2008 06:01:32 pm
      All i say is that if we are in a 'massive slump' and arent losing matches then i have no doubts we are still in the race for the title once we hit some form. You all saw an in form Liverpool tear defences apart ( ask the Besiktas faithful ) scores of 4-0 4-1 and up wards were tiresome once upon a time this season. I know for a fact that when LFC comes to it, we will be a force to be feared and have every single team running untill the last round.
      F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Reply #22: Jan 15, 2008 06:04:03 pm
      Two words: It Isn't

Quick Reply