Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Liverpool v West Ham - Match Thread

Read 20456 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Re: Liverpool v West Ham - Match Thread
      Reply #230: Mar 05, 2008 10:06:34 pm
      Great result.  Easy performance.  I wasn't expecting West Ham to be such a pushover but you have to hand it to Torres.

He's made the other £10 million and £7 million strikers look like they don't deserve in the Premiership.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #231: Mar 05, 2008 10:08:02 pm
      Just after I posted saying 'I have a horrible feeling He wont get the hat trick' he went and got the hat trick, I should start saying that every game ;D

What's that - you've got a horrible feeling we won't win every game till the end of the season, and the teams above us won't all have a massive collapse?
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #232: Mar 05, 2008 10:11:34 pm
      Just some brief news looking ahead to the inter game. Apparently Chivu may be back for the game against us he is determined to play.

And on tonights game Porto v Schalke is in extra time.
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #233: Mar 05, 2008 10:12:44 pm
      LIVERPOOL 4 - WEST HAM UNITED 0
      Wednesday 05 March 2008 20:00 , Barclays Premier League

EL NINO HAT-TRICK PUTS REDS FOURTH

Liverpool have ousted Everton from fourth spot after a Fernando Torres hat-trick helped secure a 4-0 win over West Ham.

El Nino became the first Anfield striker in more than 60 years to net successive hat-tricks on home soil following his treble against 'Boro 10 days ago.

It's now 24 goals for the Spaniard this season, while Steven Gerrard took his tally to 18 with a late beauty from distance.

The result means Rafa Benitez's side are now level on points with their Mersey rivals, though the Reds hold the upper hand on goal difference - a stat in which Everton trail by eight.

Four goals were no more than Liverpool deserved from their long-awaited game in hand.

The hosts' start oozed the kind of confidence you get from three successive wins.

Torres already had one decent chance even before his eighth-minute strike after Dirk Kuyt nodded back a delightful John Arne Riise cross.

This time it was just the wrong side of the woodwork but the Spanish ace made no mistake at the second time of asking, side-footing Kuyt's low ball beyond Robert Green with consummate ease.

Having got the goal, the Reds seemed to momentarily take their foot off the gas.

Benitez's only changes from the Bolton win came in defence - Arbeloa and Riise recalled at the expense of Hyypia and Aurelio - and perhaps it took the new back four a little time to reacquaint themselves with one another.

Kop hearts were in mouths on 11 minutes when the visitors broke through Luis Boa Morte, the Portuguese rounding Pepe Reina before an outstanding last-ditch interception from Arbeloa.

A short while after, Martin Skrtel did well to thwart Carlton Cole in the box, another sign that, if they weren't killed off, West Ham were capable of pinching something.

Down at the other end a glancing header from the superb Skrtel rolled over the top of the net - three inches lower and it would have been in.

Steven Gerrard then forced a full-length save from Green with a sweet effort off the outside of this right boot - this following nice work from Ryan Babel.

West Ham, without a win at Anfield in 45 years, could perhaps have been down to 10-men after 38 minutes when Cole led with his elbow during a challenge with Xabi Alonso. Benitez flew off his seat in protest but Steve Bennett opted for leniency.

Never mind, for Liverpool started the second half on the front foot once more.

The lead was almost doubled on 54 minutes following some sublime interplay between Gerrard and Babel, the latter twisting and turning onto his right foot before a trademark drive which Green did well to stop. Still, it had the on-looking Kop purring.

Finally, two minutes later, it was 2-0. The Hammers defence failed to deal with an Alonso corner and when the ball fell to Kuyt, the Dutch forward had time to look up and plant it on the head of Torres. The number nine was never going to miss from there, guiding the ball beyond the grasp of Green with ease.

Game over, it seemed. All that was left to be decided was whether El Nino could become the first Liverpool striker since Jack Balmer in 1946 to score hat-tricks in successive home games.

The crowd thought he'd done just that on 67 minutes when he got his head on Steven Gerrard's swerving right-wing cross. The ball hit the post before taking an age to ricochet across goal and eventually the wrong side of the post.

Meanwhile, the away fans were beginning to turn on Alan Curbishley despite the rotten luck he's suffered with injuries this season.

Little did they know their lot was about to get a whole lot worse.

Torres wrapped up his hat-trick on 81 minutes, sliding into the bottom corner after leaving former Reds target Lucas Neill for dead in a single stride. Anfield erupted.

The skipper varnished the scoreline two minutes later with perhaps the goal of the night - a 25-yard curler into the top corner - but tomorrow's headlines will rightly belong to Liverpool's Spanish superstar.

The only sour note came with a late thigh injury to Mascherano, who, with no more substitutions available, had to limp through the final few minutes.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #234: Mar 05, 2008 10:14:11 pm
      What's that - you've got a horrible feeling we won't win every game till the end of the season, and the teams above us won't all have a massive collapse?

Sure do  ;)
      Nes
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 26 posts |
      Reply #235: Mar 05, 2008 10:14:38 pm
      Torres .. True Legend.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #236: Mar 05, 2008 10:14:49 pm
      Thats exactly what he told me as well JD ! ;D
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #237: Mar 05, 2008 10:16:51 pm
      Well i am going to be watching the game 2moz on lfc tv
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #238: Mar 05, 2008 10:34:10 pm
      Win our next game and we will have our highest points total after 29 games since Rafa took over.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #239: Mar 05, 2008 10:36:11 pm
      Carra could have got a hattrick to haha, good to see him pushing up into the box, shows we have confidence.
      I am glad Carra is not a striker as I feel he should of got a hat/trick.Also thought that the Torres diving header from Gerrards cross was worthy of a goal.It was in the St John style from the 1965 cup final and dare I say it in the Albert Stubbins style.And on the subject of goals Riise deserved one for one of his efforts.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #240: Mar 05, 2008 10:40:14 pm
      I am glad Carra is not a striker.

Me too.

He'd get in Torres' way and our defence would be sh*t.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #241: Mar 05, 2008 10:40:31 pm
      WOW !!!!

I am so happy and so are all you lot..... great stuff...... so nice to see lots of positives.

Enjoyed reading everyone's posts.

Special thanks to Aussie Red for posting Nando's first goal as I haven't seen any of the match yet at all, very frustrating not knowing what's happening  :(

Haven't got SS2 either so will have to wait till later when it comes on LFCtv.

Venison....your long journey was made worthwhile, hope you enjoyed it.

Thanks to Joey for ringing me at half time so I could hear the protest first hand, sounded bloody loud, hopefully it was heard all the way across the pond ::)

Thanks to Glenbuck for trying to help me to download it on Sopcast, unfortunately wouldn't work >:(

Torres.....I think you are fast becoming a kop hero, dare I say in the mould of King Kenny himself.

Rafa you must be very proud of your players tonight especially after what's happened in the last couple of days.

Fernando........you'll have to have an extension on your house just to house all these hat-trick balls :lmao:

DonRafael...........I'm sure you'll enjoy the game and result, hope you managed not to find out what it was before you saw it 8)

And guess what........Pako was seen at Anfield tonight, read into that whatever you want !!  Hopefully, in an ideal world him and Rafa have made it up, the yanks have met up with an unfortunate incident this evening and will never show their faces at Anfield again. Parry's out on his arse and DIC have taken over 8)

Well done Liverpool..............I LOVE YOU

And I'm enjoying a lovely bottle of Stella, to celebrate of course, might even have 4, one for each goal :laugh:
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #242: Mar 05, 2008 10:41:32 pm
      Do I not get a thanks?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #243: Mar 05, 2008 10:42:26 pm
      And guess what........Pako was seen at Anfield tonight, read into that whatever you want !! 

The Yanks' cheques probably bounced and he's come round with 'the boys'.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #244: Mar 05, 2008 10:46:14 pm

You can have big thanks all the time JD, for setting up this forum.

I love you all  :-* :-*

So happy :aaliverpool2xt1:
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,779 posts | 6735 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #245: Mar 05, 2008 10:52:22 pm
      MsG you're a legend mate...

Redkenny thanks for your nice words mate.

Torres 2nd goal

http://www.divshare.com/download/3959104-c19

Torres 3rd goal, hattrick you beauty and Gerrard's corker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoDfOvCNb8c

redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #246: Mar 05, 2008 11:00:01 pm
      How come MsG is a legend and I just get thanks for the nice words? Referee!!  ;) Only kidding mate. Cheers for finding the other Torres goals!
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #247: Mar 05, 2008 11:04:07 pm
      Great night, great result. Brilliant to see another hatrick from Torres, but as someone else pointed out, what if he wasn't playing tonight? We need someone to take some of the goalscoring burden away from him, hopefully his form has shown the yanks/DIC? what you get when Rafa does spend big on a player.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #248: Mar 05, 2008 11:07:29 pm
      Just saw the highlights of the 4 goals!, Torres was just clearly unstoppable! He was WOW! and Gerrard's goal was that top notch Gerrard-delivery. I said in the '12 matches' tread that we could win all the remaining matches! That is just so possible! SWEET!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,779 posts | 6735 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #249: Mar 05, 2008 11:12:12 pm
      How come MsG is a legend and I just get thanks for the nice words? Referee!!  ;) Only kidding mate. Cheers for finding the other Torres goals!

because she read everyone's posts and still managed to thank everyone individually and  in a particular order...she amazes me.

you redkenny mate are a true star.  ;)
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #250: Mar 05, 2008 11:14:58 pm
      Tonight Matthew, I 'am' DonRafael !!!

Richobaz, shake your negative bollocks in the air :D
      Cy
      Reply #251: Mar 05, 2008 11:15:37 pm
      I just got home and what a great results..thanks for the links for the goals guys really appreciated. Absolutely over the Moon with that...If we can keep that momentum until the end of the season maybe we might just get that 3 rd place..;)...Well done lads, good work.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #252: Mar 05, 2008 11:19:33 pm
      Who still wants Rafa out then? :D :D :D

Quick Reply