Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 16th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P13 W6 D5 L2

Liverpool v West Ham - Match Thread

Read 20531 times
      maxextz
      • Forum David Johnson

• 231 posts | -13 
      • Id like To dip my cookies in your tears.
      Re: Liverpool v West Ham - Match Thread
      Reply #207: Mar 05, 2008 09:53:45 pm
      you know what i mean, stevie is priceless. if we could play like that most games 19 would be here and gone. fantasic
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #208: Mar 05, 2008 09:53:47 pm
      Finishing the game without even bringing on a sub for Mascherano.

We're a right cocky bunch of bas**rds!

Take Stevie off as well, give him a sit down.
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #209: Mar 05, 2008 09:54:25 pm
      Looks who's taking home ANOTHER match ball!

Well done. :champ:
      Saffi 7
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts | 17 
      • "...that's why they paid 26 million for him..."
      Reply #210: Mar 05, 2008 09:54:38 pm
      It's that time of the game folks!!

What I wouldn't give to be in that crowd right about now...
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #211: Mar 05, 2008 09:54:53 pm
      Wow just realised torres is just 3 goals of Ronaldo in the prem now

Ronaldo - 21

Torres - 18
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #212: Mar 05, 2008 09:55:29 pm
      What a game and what a performance by Torres, wonder what the odds of him getting a hat trick on saturday are
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #213: Mar 05, 2008 09:55:45 pm
      Wow just realised torres is just 3 goals of Ronaldo in the prem now

Ronaldo - 21

Torres - 18

With the way Torres is playing there is no reason why he can't catch him right up!
      shikhark
      • Forum John Barnes

• 414 posts |
      Reply #214: Mar 05, 2008 09:57:03 pm
      Gerrard nearing the 20 goal mark too (all competitions).
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #215: Mar 05, 2008 09:57:35 pm
      Above Everton thanks to a better goal difference of 8 goals.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #216: Mar 05, 2008 09:57:40 pm
      Haha, nice touch at the end there, Stevie not giving the ref the ball but taking it all the way to Fernando on the bench and then having a nice manly hug. :D :D

All seriosness though, great game and yet another awesome display from Torres. What a player. That's his league tally to 18, one behind Adebayor and three behind Ronaldo.

However I'd like to highlight the comments a couple of pages earlier around the 55 minute mark, by myself and KK I think, saying how we thought it could have been one of those games we know all too well, where we dominate but fail to take our chances and let ourselves down by dropping points. In the past, we just haven't finished our chances, so what did we need? Someone like Torres to take those chances. Minus El Nino from the equation and the night could have been very different. We could have had a mare up front, let West Ham back in the game and drop at least 2 points, and I could be sitting here bashing my keyboard instead of typing this with a huge grin on my face. Fortunately we had a goalscorer on the pitch that just nicked that goal that spurred the rest of the team on.

Four nil didn't flatter us, we had 19 shots to their 2, but it might just have been 'one of those games' but for one Mr Torres.

Great result, great finishing, great play and let's hope it all continues onto the weekend.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #217: Mar 05, 2008 09:58:02 pm
      Fantastic performance tonight everyone played well.

Special mentions for fernando took his goals excellently.
      Stevie for that thunderbolt.
      Kuyt for his great workrate once again and the pinpoint crosses for torres goals.
      Riise i feel had one of his better games this season but i do still think Aurelio deserved to keep his place in the side.
      Skrtel solid once againnn at the back
      and Carragher who was in the box almost as much as torres tonight haha.

Now lets keep going and steamroll Newcastle this weekend. And lets get fernando that top scorer title for his first prem season ;D
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #218: Mar 05, 2008 09:58:33 pm
      BBC Match Report

Fernando Torres scored a hat-trick as Liverpool won their game in hand to move above Everton and into fourth place in the Premier League.

Torres superbly finished Dirk Kuyt's low cross from 12 yards and struck after the break with a header following another cross from the Dutchman.

The Spain striker hit the post with a diving header before netting his third with a low finish from a tight angle.

Steven Gerrard scored the fourth with a spectacular long-range effort.

It was a crucial win for the home team in the context of the scramble for fourth spot - and with it a place in next season's Champions League.

Until they scored the decisive second goal it was a far from scintillating performance by Liverpool, who at times lacked urgency and were wasteful from set pieces.

But West Ham, defeated 4-1 by Chelsea on Saturday, rarely looked as though they would force their way back into the contest after Torres struck early on.

By the time Alan Curbishley introduced Dean Ashton and Bobby Zamora after 69 minutes the game had gone - and it was the home team who added to their tally with two late goals.

Liverpool started with a real sense of purpose and should have scored even before Torres' eighth-minute opener.

John Arne Riise, recalled to the team, crossed from the left and Kuyt headed the ball back across goal to Torres, who missed the target from six yards.

The Spaniard soon made amends with his 16th goal in the Premier League.

Torres got across Anton Ferdinand and showed superb technique to drill home Kuyt's low cross from the right.

The goal marked the end of Liverpool's early dominance, with West Ham gradually feeling their way into the contest.

Pepe Reina charged from his goal after the ball was slipped through to Luis Boa Morte and the West Ham striker eased past the Liverpool keeper before shooting from a tight angle.

The ball seemed to be heading goalwards before a superb sliding effort from Alvaro Arbeloa diverted it out for a corner.

The game went through a dour, chanceless phase, before Liverpool pushed for a second goal in the period before half-time.

Martin Skrtel narrowly missed with a header at the near post while Gerrard toe-poked a cross from Ryan Babel towards the bottom corner of the West Ham goal that produced an excellent low save from Robert Green.

Liverpool forced the first good effort of the second-half, with a superb disguised pass from Gerrard creating an opening for Babel, who forced a decent save from Green.

But it was mediocre fare, with errant passes and niggling fouls upsetting the flow of the game.

Torres brought the contest back to life with his precise header into the top corner, but in truth the West Ham marking was dreadful and the striker was under no pressure as he extended his team's lead.

And having established a two-goal cushion, Liverpool took complete control.

Torres met a superb cross from Gerrard with a diving header that rebounded off the woodwork.

But he completed his third hat-trick for Liverpool after easily skipping past Neill and passing the ball into the net.

Gerrard finished the scoring with his spectacular strike after the Hammers defence backed off and allowed him to run at goal.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,256 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #219: Mar 05, 2008 09:59:57 pm
      Bizarly we have now scored the most goals at home in the prem so far with 33, Ares and scum have 32 :P
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #220: Mar 05, 2008 10:00:02 pm
      What a message to send out! We had to come up with the goods tonight and I didn't care how we got those three points as long as we got them.

We done it in style. The Liverpool way.

I knew if we got an early goal we should win. But it seems like we are beginning to play like a team with belief and strong determination. Love it.

Well done Torres. A mighty red!!
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #221: Mar 05, 2008 10:00:23 pm
      KoolKidda , your captions and comments are hilarious mate keep it up !  ;D
      murpies
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 69 posts |
      Reply #222: Mar 05, 2008 10:00:54 pm
      With the way Torres is playing there is no reason why he can't catch him right up!

Torres is the man
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #223: Mar 05, 2008 10:01:10 pm

Very true. He deserves it, complete striker. Must say our formation is working well, we are now pressuring sides alot more and playing more as a team, going forward in a group and getting back to defend in a group aswell. The wing backs are playing very well getting forward and making those all important overlapping runs. Great win tonight i am delighted.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #224: Mar 05, 2008 10:01:21 pm
      Just after I posted saying 'I have a horrible feeling He wont get the hat trick' he went and got the hat trick, I should start saying that every game ;D
      ShanerB
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 881 posts | 25 
      Reply #225: Mar 05, 2008 10:04:25 pm
      fantastic! 2 hat-tricks in consecutive home games now, wouldn't say many have done that! i should be eating my words now, i called it 2-1 before and how wrong i was, it could've been 8-0 for christ sake!! carra could've had 2 on his own!

seriously though we are hitting very very good form now, hope it continues for the month cos this month can make or break the season. hopefully rafa sticks to the new tactics for a while now cos it really seems to be working well with the players
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #226: Mar 05, 2008 10:05:51 pm
      Carra could have got a hattrick to haha, good to see him pushing up into the box, shows we have confidence.
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #227: Mar 05, 2008 10:06:07 pm
      Nando buries it for 3-0

and Stevie launches an exorcet for 4-0...

Carlsberg don't do goal scorers but if they did...
      ;)
      Excellent all round effort from the boys, they played as a team, one for another and it was for the most part a pleasure to watch. Mistakes we few and far between and those that were made were atoned for with some grit and determination. Fringe players played well and the confidence in the squad must be right up there at the moment... 7 goals in 2 games, 2 hat-tricks... thank you very much!  :aaliverpool2xt1: :aaliverpool2xt1: :aaliverpool2xt1: :aaliverpool2xt1:
      « Last Edit: Mar 05, 2008 10:09:12 pm by RED1028 »
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #228: Mar 05, 2008 10:06:23 pm
      Well cant wait till half ten to watgh the mighty reds turn our season around up to fourth now lets keep it. IRWT.(THAT SHOULD ENCOURAGE DIC TO UP THE ANTE)
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,256 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #229: Mar 05, 2008 10:06:32 pm
      Wonder what the odds are for a Hat Trick against the toon?, 3 in 3

Quick Reply