Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Wools v Scousers

Read 30370 times
      Kopite75
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Wools v Scousers
      Reply #23: Aug 25, 2006 01:01:09 am
      I am an Aussie living in the USA and have been a Red since the early 70's whne I first saw the English game. My support has never waned and never will. I just dont see the relevance of Liverpool born and bred having more relevance as a supporter
      Jabba
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,375 posts |
      Wools v Scousers
      Reply #24: Aug 25, 2006 10:02:58 pm
      Quote from: "Liverbird"
      Well what happened to the champions league winners money where did that go? but things should speed up a little now that were in the group stages of the CL.

I'm not sure actually winning added enormously compared to us just being in the final.

These days were transfer fees are paid in installments suggests the fee probably paid off Cisse, Morientes or even Diouf's deals.

Who did we buy Diouf off again?

I must remember to hate them passionately.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Wools v Scousers
      Reply #25: Aug 25, 2006 10:16:08 pm
      Quote from: "Jabba"
      Well what happened to the champions league winners money where did that go? but things should speed up a little now that were in the group stages of the CL.

I'm not sure actually winning added enormously compared to us just being in the final.

These days were transfer fees are paid in installments suggests the fee probably paid off Cisse, Morientes or even Diouf's deals.

Who did we buy Diouf off again?

I must remember to hate them passionately.
      Lens and he played 80 games for us and ony scored 6 times.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Re: Wools v Scousers
      Reply #26: Aug 29, 2006 12:14:34 am
      Quote from: "koolkidda"
      People from outside Liverpool do not have the same passion for the reds as Scousers do.   :shock:

Discuss....

This is a load of bollocks! how can people say that? Im from belfast and i adore liverpool! i never shut up about them,im on this forum nearly 24-7! i cant belive people would say that! Nearly every 10 mins of the day i check the liverpol website! i go2 games i can get tickets for an even if i cant be there i watch the game on tv,at my m8s house or if its on foregin tv i watch on on the internet! anyone who knows me will tell you i support the reds even if we were losing! i always stick by them even if were getting killed (istanbul 2005 chmpions league final 1st half)! Most my friend either support united or..wel mostly united an i wouldnt even consider going an supporting anyone else! i cant even imagine it!

At any game you goto u c people and hear people who arent from liverpool yet they support them cause their in love with the club (like me) and we all no the songs,chants etc! like koptie75 i dont c why it would make a difference if u werent from liverpool and u support the mighty reds because ul love them just as much!

So dont give this crap that non-scouser liverpool supporters arent as passionate! il always be a reds fan thru good and bad! YNWA and please dont think that again!
      therealdermot
      • Forum Youth Player

• 20 posts |
      Wools v Scousers
      Reply #27: Aug 29, 2006 12:24:44 am
      crap talking tosser :evil:
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Wools v Scousers
      Reply #28: Aug 29, 2006 12:41:52 am
      what u on about?
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Wools v Scousers
      Reply #29: Aug 29, 2006 11:33:22 am
      Koolkidda have you opened anymore cans of worms lately?! ha ha!

The only opinion I have on this is local fans should have the chance to buy tickets to go to any games they want, I used to live by the Albert and I couldnt walk across the road and buy a ticket I had to go on the credit card line. The football club is an important part of the local community and should be more accessable to the local people both young and old.
      stev_17
      • Forum David Johnson

• 224 posts |
      Wools v Scousers
      Reply #30: Aug 29, 2006 12:13:58 pm
      im a liverpool FC supporter from Australia, and trust me you dont need to be scouser to be a liverpool supporter. one of my mates Supports man united and theres always been this rivalry between us, every time its liverpool v man united if one of our teams lose against each other, you better not go to school the next day. youll never hear the end of it until they met again. every time we talk about liverpool and man united we preety much get into a punch up. BUT WEVE AGREED TO JUST HATE CHELSEA THE MOST. "f**ken S**t C**ts, lost to middlesboroght hahahahaha".

COMON LIVERPOOL FC!!!!!!!!
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Wools v Scousers
      Reply #31: Aug 29, 2006 02:54:14 pm
      Quote from: "Crazy Horse"

The only opinion I have on this is local fans should have the chance to buy tickets to go to any games they want, I used to live by the Albert and I couldnt walk across the road and buy a ticket I had to go on the credit card line. The football club is an important part of the local community and should be more accessable to the local people both young and old.

In a awy i agree with u cause liverpool is a community club buttickets at anfield should only be on sale 2 scousers were as tickets online 2 anyone else for example fans acros the world or scousers who cant get 2 anfield 2 buy them
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Wools v Scousers
      Reply #32: Sep 01, 2006 01:09:33 pm

Unlikely.  The money spent on Kuyt was in ´anticipation´ of qualifying for the Champions League.

Maybe I will go out and buy a brand new BMW in ´anticipation´ that by selling my house and putting the money on Liverpool beating Everton next week will come to fruition.

You can´t beat the Rick Parry School of Economics.

Stadium? I wouldn´t trust him to build me a TV cabinet from Ikea.
      KingoftheKop
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 87 posts |
      Wools v Scousers
      Reply #33: Sep 13, 2006 06:02:31 pm
      Quote from: "Rushie"
      Sorry but it pisses me off when local fans can't get a ticket because non-local fans come on their day trip to fill up at the club store, then sit there in silence with their flasks during the game.

It's good the reds have such wide support throughout not only the country but the world, but....

There is definitely an argument to keep a section of a stand available for tickets available through the ticket desk.

Might start up a 'keep the Kop local' campaign.

(Oh and where I live now doesn't mean I'm not scouse...)

what is wrong with you i think you've got a bat case of arsemouth
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Wools v Scousers
      Reply #34: Sep 13, 2006 06:17:14 pm
      Quote from: "Crazy Horse"

Im not scouse, but i agree with you, i wouldn't want to have people who aren't local taking all the seats, but you can't stop people coming to matches just cos their not local.
      KingoftheKop
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 87 posts |
      Wools v Scousers
      Reply #35: Sep 13, 2006 06:24:13 pm
      It will all happen soon i think cos liverpool have to prove they have the initial £180m by the end of this month and it's believed that 2009 is the target for completion. :P
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #36: Sep 14, 2006 11:35:02 am
      Quote from: "koolkidda"
      People from outside Liverpool do not have the same passion for the reds as Scousers do.   :shock:

Discuss....

COMPLETE AND UTTER F***ing CRAP..

Im not from Liverpool naturally, but I have supported the club since I was 6 years old Im now 40 and never waverd in my support for this great club even when the chips were down.
      I came from a military family which moved around a lot, and I never really had anywhere I can say my roots are, not even my parents are tied down as my fathers mother was from Cornwall, fathers father from wolverhampton. ETC ETC
      From the moment I was born we were moving, from Plymouth to POrtsmouth to chatham to hong kong, Ive lived there here and everywhere, but never have I forgotton the first ever Cup final match watching it as a young boy the 1974 FA Cup final the seas on red scarfs the singing of YNWA and from that day I was and always shall be a Liverpool fan.

As a young lad I wept when we lost the FA Cup final in 77 to those scum which stopped us winning that treble that year, I wept when Hillsbourough and Heisal happend.
      Ive jumped for joy when we won the treble in 2001 and I screamed and wept again when we won the 2005 final in istanbul and the cup final in 2006.

Im prepared to make a round trip of 500 miles everytime I go up to anfield as many times as I can in a season. I take my daughters, and my wife to see watch and fall in love with a great club which this is. Needless to say they all support LFC and son who is now 2and half is and always shall be a red.

Needless to say there are those who dont appreciate that OTTs come to watch the club (OTTS being out of towners). But I can honestly say I share as much passion for this great club as any local.

Needless to say I love the people of Liverpool, their sense of humour and there pragmatic approach to disagreements ..ahem.
      And I can say without predjudice I have as much passion for this club as they or other OTTs do and that my friends is a fact.
      hidalgo
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 24 posts |
      Wools v Scousers
      Reply #37: Sep 14, 2006 08:25:09 pm
      I started supporting Liverpool around 1980 or 1981 while at boarding school in Sussex as a pre teen. I dont think I even particularly cared for football, but one dose of a game with the men in red and in an instant I became a lifelong fan!

Twenty-six years later, and I'm back home in Africa a million miles away from the south of England, let alone the city of Liverpool and I am even MORE rabid in my support!

I pay insane digital satellite fees and indure even more insane Chelsea, Arsenal and Man U supporters as part of the cost of my support (where I live, those teams are far and away more popular than the Reds, but I believe we are catching up if slowly- started to notice the odd convert every now and then).

I have rarely if ever questioned my level of support for Liverpool. Like a local, my unwavering support means my kids (don't have any yet by the way- but trust me on this they will have little choice in the matter) will be supporters too.

I think the beauty of Liverpool is it's position as a truly global club.
      Yes Liverpool has deep local roots, but it is the clubs 'globa'l not just just 'local' or 'nationa'l fan base that makes this the greatest club to support in the world.

Believe me when I say that local Liverpoool FC passion is as alive and well in Liverpool City as it is in Africa- why, I'm living proof!
      Jabba
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,375 posts |
      Wools v Scousers
      Reply #38: Sep 16, 2006 10:41:29 pm
      Quote from: "hidalgo"
      I pay insane digital satellite fees and indure even more insane Chelsea, Arsenal and Man U supporters as part of the cost of my support (where I live, those teams are far and away more popular than the Reds, but I believe we are catching up if slowly- started to notice the odd convert every now and then).

Why the hell are Chelsea more popular than us....

Keep the conversion going!
      hidalgo
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 24 posts |
      Wools v Scousers
      Reply #39: Sep 19, 2006 09:04:19 pm
      Quote from: "Jabba"

Why the hell are Chelsea more popular than us....

Keep the conversion going!

I guess it's a recent success thing.
      The world loves a winne and Africans are no different.
      My people can t remember the last time Liverpool dominated the game.
      For them, yes we won the CL in 2005 but crazy as it may seem they mark it down more as a fluke than as a win by design.

You have to look at it from their perspective- satelite television and fly on the wall coverage of football has been available in Africa for a lot less than ten years and in that time The Reds havn t exactly set the world alight. In short, we're not truly rated. (More fool them!)
      But, and I consider this as important, that's one of the reasons why I believe any Liverpool fan base burns bright with passion.
      Fans have faithfully stuck with LFC without cash "From Russia With Lust" and havn't had a zillion premiership wins to help stoke the embers of popularity for the club.
      We have simply quitely (Anfield nights dont count!) gone about our business of playing football, improving where we could and though we all would have expected more (than a UEFA Cup, CL Trophy, Super Cup, a host of domestic gleamers etc..etc..)  as we are all rightly greedy that way, overall we havnt done too badly! But do 'they' rate that? I guess not!
      Sadly the flash brigade have amassed such a following it would seem only if we won the Mars vs. Earth Club Championships could we even start to sway the unbelievers our way. Bring home No.19 and who knows, respect might just follow...
      But even now I can hear some of them say they would turn Blue waiting for that to happen.
      As I said, MORE FOOL THEM!!!
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Wools v Scousers
      Reply #40: Sep 19, 2006 10:36:58 pm
      Not particularly arsed if Chelsea are more popular than us, the only reason they are is cos they are hyped up by the media - Sky Sports - and they have more exposure around the world.  Bet if they had run them stats in June 2005 the Reds would of been No 1....the media dictates everything these days unfortunately.
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Wools v Scousers
      Reply #41: Oct 21, 2006 08:20:58 pm
      Article by Chris Bascombe in today's Echo (21st October 2006)

' On the subject of Manchester United, there's something else they have in common with Liverpool. Walking through the streets of Bordeaux and hearing so many cockney accents from people in Liverpool shirts made those croissants taste particularly sour.

Perhaps it's my imagination, but it seems there are even more non-Scouse fans than ever jumping on the Euro-bus. Now I can imagine those who continuously fail to recognise this is a Merseyside paper are preparing a poisonouse response as I speak (even though I've implied nothing yet).

I merely offer this as an observation, as much as a chronicle of Liverpool's travels as a comment on the trends. Rightly or wrongly, there are an increasing number of Liverpool people who feel the balance is being tilted in favour of the fans with most cash, many of whom don't come from the city.

And there is a genuine fear that when then new stadium is built, not enough care will be taken to ensure The Kop end is packed with Scouser voices, particularly if price rises are maintained at current levels (they may be still lower than the rest of the country, but that doesn't make them cheap).

If that happens, the kind of alienation United fans from Manchester have felt will become more apparent at Anfield. As one of the world's biggest clubs, Liverpool have succeeded much more than United in maintaining their local fan base, but with a new stadium imminent there can be no place for complacency.

For the Anfield hierarchy, the interests of the people of this city must always be the number one priority '

'More scouse fans jumping on the Euro-bus'...  :shock:
      Jabba
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,375 posts |
      Wools v Scousers
      Reply #42: Oct 21, 2006 08:30:12 pm
      He's got some form on this Bascombe.

Towards the end of 2003 he wrote this.

"WHEN you're invited to a friend's house, do you ever criticise all the
      furniture, tell the residents they're not good enough to live there and
      then ring as many people as possible to have a go at the place?

In the world of football, the thousands of non-Merseyside visitors to
      Liverpool FC every fortnight believe it's their right to do so.

If Wednesday evening demonstrated anything, it's how Anfield is a far
      warmer place when the capacity is filled mostly by those from the
      Merseyside region.

The 42,000 attendance was extraordinary given the opposition and the fact
      the game was screened live on terrestrial TV.

It happened because Rick Parry decided to do what other top clubs don't.
      Significantly reduce ticket prices and make it possible for more local
      fans to see their heroes. It should, and will, happen more often.
      Traditionally, the middle class Cornish fans and day-trippers don't like
      to go to midweek games. It's too far to travel. The match is on television.
      It's a bit cold.

This makes it easier for those on the end of 12 month waiting list for a
      Premiership match to get a ticket.

It also means there is about 90 per cent less moaning in the stadium. It
      significantly reduces the chances of a panic setting in if Liverpool aren't
      two goals up within the space of 20 minutes.

There's also more chance of the second chorus of 'You'll Never Walk Alone'
      being completed without that irritatingly premature ripple of applause.
      And you'll never, ever, hear Liverpool's players getting booed off when
      most of the spectators are Merseysiders. Liverpool people, in general,
      don't do that.

A right can of worms I've opened here, of course. Like any good
      politician, I should insert my get-out clause and stress there are
      exceptions.

I would risk the wrath of my Irish, Norwegian and even London friends who
      passionately support Liverpool if I suggested every out-of-town supporter
      was to blame for the growing fickleness.

Most are very welcome, adding to the cosmopolitan flavour of the club. It
      would be narrow-minded and prejudicial to tarnish everyone with the same
      brush.

Equally daft would be the assertion there aren't plenty of local fans who
      lose the plot too.

In general terms, however, I'd submit there's more truth than Scouse
      propaganda in the argument the more 'local' the fanbase is, the more
      knowledgeable.

The evidence of Wednesday night is one of many. The counter-argument to this will be someone from Plymouth telling me they've been to every home game since 1983, spent thousands of pounds on tickets and merchandise and have as much right to comment on Liverpool than anyone.

That's true. They do have a right to comment. Some of us would rather not
      listen, that's all.

Incidentally, I've always been astonished whenever people claiming to be a
      Plymouth, or Yorkshire, or a 'Birmingham Red' have written in to have a go
      back at suggestions they're more fickle.

As if someone working for the Liverpool ECHO should be bothered what they
      think. If Merseysiders ever wrote to the Yorkshire Post, or Birmingham Mail
      or Plymouth Herald about their negative views on Scousers, their reporters
      would need more bin space.

I'm also prepared for the response that a journalist who gets a free
      ticket has no right to criticise a supporter, no matter where he's from.
      Well, he does if he happens to be from Liverpool, lives here, and was born
      with the right to say or write anything he likes about what's going on in
      his own town.

As far as I'm concerned, out-of-town fans are tourists in our city who,
      for the most part, have made a choice to become Liverpool (or Everton)
      supporters on the basis of who was the most successful side when they were
      younger or who has the best looking players.

Those living in the Merseyside region made no such choice. Anfield or
      Goodison citizenship was their birthright. A glorious inheritance which
      others have tried to claim a slice from.

Naturally, I'm biased towards this city. I simply can't understand why any
      football fan born or living anywhere within a close proximity wouldn't
      support Liverpool, Everton, Tranmere, Chester, Wigan or Marine. Naturally,
      I assume those whose family roots are planted in other cities would be more
      likely to back their nearest sides.

When I hear a Glasgow accent, I think Rangers or Celtic. A Geordie must be
      a Newcastle fan. A Brummie, Villa or Birmingham. Cornish is clearly United.
      It's not just about football, surely it's also about identity?

Perhaps I'm guilty of misinterpretation, but in Liverpool and Everton's
      case, supporting the team is an expression of civic pride as much as
      football allegiance.

When the two clubs were dominating Europe in the 1980s, it was as much a
      two-fingered gesture to those who'd kicked the city when it was down as it
      was a statement of football dominance. To hear a Cockney telling you he's a
      Red or a Blue. Well, it just doesn't sound right does it?

I fail to see how anyone south of Birmingham can truly empathise with us.
      They just can't.

There will be those who aren't from Merseyside who may be deeply offended
      by this. If the individuals I've described bare no resemblance to them,
      they shouldn't be.

It's simply worth pointing out now and again that our clubs belong to us.
      Everyone is free to join in, but a few have started to abuse their welcome.
      The greats who've walked through the club's doors from Scotland, Wales,
      France, Finland and everywhere else have been worshipped because they are
      or were in tune with the values and conduct of the club. They've embraced
      the culture as much as the scarf.

Many out-of-town fans accept that and follow suit. Others don't and have
      actually started to make themselves self-appointed spokesmen for the
      supporters in times of strife. They're far more un-Liverpool-like in their
      ways.

As far as I'm concerned they're the main reason the atmosphere at Anfield
      isn't what it used to be.

To quote the League of Gentlemen. Yes, Liverpool is a local club for local
      people. The strangers, with their strange ways and strange habits who come
      to do strange things would be wise to remember they're guests.
      P.S. All letters of disgust can be directed to the Plymouth Herald"
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #43: Jan 20, 2007 09:39:27 pm
      <snip>.... I used to live by the Albert and I couldnt walk across the road ...<snip>

Did you mean 'in' instead of 'by' ;)
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #44: Jan 21, 2007 12:24:21 am

COMPLETE AND UTTER f***ing CRAP..

Im not from Liverpool naturally, but I have supported the club since I was 6 years old Im now 40 and never waverd in my support for this great club even when the chips were down.
      I came from a military family which moved around a lot, and I never really had anywhere I can say my roots are, not even my parents are tied down as my fathers mother was from Cornwall, fathers father from wolverhampton. ETC ETC
      From the moment I was born we were moving, from Plymouth to POrtsmouth to chatham to hong kong, Ive lived there here and everywhere, but never have I forgotton the first ever Cup final match watching it as a young boy the 1974 FA Cup final the seas on red scarfs the singing of YNWA and from that day I was and always shall be a Liverpool fan.

As a young lad I wept when we lost the FA Cup final in 77 to those scum which stopped us winning that treble that year, I wept when Hillsbourough and Heisal happend.
      Ive jumped for joy when we won the treble in 2001 and I screamed and wept again when we won the 2005 final in istanbul and the cup final in 2006.

Im prepared to make a round trip of 500 miles everytime I go up to anfield as many times as I can in a season. I take my daughters, and my wife to see watch and fall in love with a great club which this is. Needless to say they all support LFC and son who is now 2and half is and always shall be a red.

Needless to say there are those who dont appreciate that OTTs come to watch the club (OTTS being out of towners). But I can honestly say I share as much passion for this great club as any local.

Needless to say I love the people of Liverpool, their sense of humour and there pragmatic approach to disagreements ..ahem.
      And I can say without predjudice I have as much passion for this club as they or other OTTs do and that my friends is a fact.
      Absolutley right mate. I am from over the water. I'm soo much in love with the club. As I could have been a full time die hard Tranmere Rovers fan. Most of my family is from Liverpool and they have shown me the way to follow a club. Not just a club. The best football club in the world.
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #45: Jan 21, 2007 08:00:02 am
      Absolutley right mate. I am from over the water. I'm soo much in love with the club. As I could have been a full time die hard Tranmere Rovers fan. Most of my family is from Liverpool and they have shown me the way to follow a club. Not just a club. The best football club in the world.

From over the water? And you're modding a Liverpool FC board? Ohh the shame of it. I'll have to have words with my supervisors. ;)

Quick Reply