Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Player Wages

Read 4690 times
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Player Wages
      Apr 03, 2008 11:12:28 am
      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2008/04/02/ufnpaylist102.xml

The Telegraph just published the Top 50 best paid footballers in the world and it sprung some surprises:

Fernando Torres is 5th (behind: Kaka, Ronaldhino, Lampard and John Terry)

Steven Gerrard is 10th - ties with Ronaldo (8th) & Henry (9th) (Behind: Ballack & Shevchenko)

The third highest paid Liverpool player is.................... Harry Kewell who came 39th Place.

Only three Liverpool players made the Top 50 with Kewell coming 3rd (?!). We need to start paying our players better. Kewell actually earns more than Carragher?
      « Last Edit: Apr 03, 2008 11:17:22 am by EddieC, Reason: Title changed »
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Re: Highest paid Liverpool Players
      Reply #1: Apr 03, 2008 11:18:41 am
      For Torres and Gerrard I'm not surprised, they are two of the very best players in the world and if we want this quality of player to stay at our club then the price has to be paid... but Harry Kewell? WTF is that all about? How can he be paid more than so many other talented players, not only at Liverpool but in the world, there are only 38 in front of him, but I don't see him as 38th best in the world!!! Bonkers! Lucky he's out of contract soon! :D

As for Chelski, they have two of the four richest players in the world, but it didn't stop them getting beat by Fenerbahce!

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Re: Player Wages
      Reply #2: Apr 03, 2008 11:21:55 am
      That list looks like a load of bollocks to me TBH. I seem to remember it being publiceised when Torres first joined that he accepted 90k a week off us instead of 100k a week elsewhere, so I'm not sure how they work him out to be on 126k?

And no, I don't think we need to start paying our players better. If there's any truth in that list then it's good to see we're not throwing our money away needlessly.
      solodee
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #3: Apr 03, 2008 11:49:45 am
      As for Chelski, they have two of the four richest players in the world, but it didn't stop them getting beat by Fenerbahce!

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

That was Classic. The only goal credited to Chelsea was a Fenerbache own goal. The turks scored 3 goals yesterday.

Harry Kewell gives a new meaning to Dire Strait's Classic ''Money for Nothing"
      « Last Edit: Apr 03, 2008 11:58:58 am by solodee »
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #4: Apr 03, 2008 01:09:31 pm
      Haha Darren Bent right up there... As well as Sol Campbell? Jesus....
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #5: Apr 03, 2008 01:12:21 pm
      Harry Kewell must be laughing his tits off he should be on pay as you play.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #6: Apr 03, 2008 02:35:01 pm
      Harry Kewell must be laughing his tits off he should be on pay as you play.

A pay as you play deal for Kewell wouldn't be legal, unless we topped him up so he meets minimum wage :D
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #7: Apr 03, 2008 10:26:22 pm
      In my opinion, all football players are paid way too much. £100k a week is just a stupid amount!
      solodee
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #8: Apr 04, 2008 12:28:12 am
      In my opinion, all football players are paid way too much. £100k a week is just a stupid amount!
      They subject their bodies to torturous exercises, travel endlessly, play games, get abused, get injured for weeks and are back at it again. Sports generally pays naughty but deserved money.
      solodee
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #9: Apr 04, 2008 02:46:43 pm
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #10: Apr 04, 2008 04:10:08 pm
      They subject their bodies to torturous exercises, travel endlessly, play games, get abused, get injured for weeks and are back at it again. Sports generally pays naughty but deserved money.
      But it's their job. Yeah they should get paid but not as much as they do I don't think. Doctors and nurses have a much tougher job, people in the army, etc, but they don't get half as much! Actors/Actresses and Singers I feel the same about too.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,270 posts | 2859 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #11: Apr 04, 2008 05:55:46 pm
      Its very simple economics, Supply and Demand. The Demand for very good players is high, and the supply of very good players is low, the supply of nurses, teachers, shop assistants is high, and demand is low. Sorry but that is the way the cookie crumbles, dreadful I know it is, but thats just the way the world works I'm afraid.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #12: Apr 04, 2008 07:22:04 pm

They subject themselves to getting paid scandlous wages as well, I think the following interpretation is nearer the mark solodee:

torturous exercises = keeping themselves superfit by their own choice, like many sportsmen/women cos they love the sport they are in.

travel endlessly = see the world and stay in the best luxury money can buy

play games = enjoy the sport they are paid to do

get abused = take a bit of stick from opposing fans, which they should take on the chin unless its obviously personal, which I suppose many nurses/doctors endure most nights of the week in A&E.

get injured for weeks = injured but looked after by the best medical teams on the planet !!

back at it again = back to work for my huge inflated salary !!

All in all, hugely inflated salaries, ask Kenny Dalglish how he managed 30 years ago, and look how he turned out  ;)

ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #13: Apr 05, 2008 07:49:59 am
      Here's an article from the Independent On-line that seems relevant:

Lampard is chasing bigger pay packet admits Grant

Avram Grant implied yesterday that Fat Frank Lampard was demanding more money than Chelsea are willing to pay him over his new contract. With one year left after the end of this season on his present deal, negotiations have stalled.

In public both sides insist that they will find a resolution although the indications are that Chelsea are prepared for Lampard to leave rather than cave in to his demands. The England international is believed to currently earning £115,000-a-week and is asking for parity with the top earner, captain John Terry, who is thought to be paid around £135,000-a-week.

When asked about the impasse at yesterday's press briefing ahead of today's away game against Manchester City, Grant told reporters: "If you want to stay on your newspaper and your newspaper doesn't want you, then you will not stay. But if your newspaper wants you and you want to stay, then it's a matter of money. Maybe you think you deserve more, maybe they think you deserve less. Everyone thinks they should deserve more and for a player it's ok, it's reasonable.

"In every club in the world there is negotiation between the club and big players. But as long they want each other I think, at the end of the day, they will find a way. I'm happy that both sides want each other. I know the club wants Fat Frank and Fat Frank wants to stay."

"Chubbs" Lampard revealed his frustration over the lack of progress on a new deal last month when, after scoring four goals against Derby, he questioned Chelsea's commitment in wanting to keep him. Certainly the club appear not to have shown the same speed in tying him down as they did over their talks with Terry last year.

Chelsea are also resigned, it appears, to losing Didier Drogba, who wants to go, and the search has started for a high-class replacement to play alongside Nicolas Anelka. If Lampard did go, it would allow Michael Ballack a greater role although Chelsea are extremely sensitive as to how they will handle the departure should it come to that.

Grant said he had spoken to Lampard after Wednesday Champions League tie defeat to Fenerbahce, during which the player was substituted only to throw his boots down in frustration. However, Grant said he was unperturbed by the actions, adding: "I spoke to him about the game because everyone was disappointed."

What a loser this guy is! Throwing a paddy because £115,000 a week isn't good enough for him! Even if I don't believe it, I hope the club lets him go, and he ends up playing for some crap side who can't pay him what he wants! (I admit I made one or two corrections to Mr Lampard's name in the article as they seemed reluctant to print his name in full for some reason.  :D  ;))
      solodee
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #14: Apr 05, 2008 10:10:23 am
      Funny, but where does he think he will go once Chelsea refuse to cave in to his demands? probably needs to eat something to get his head right. 115,000/week is lovely IMO
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #15: Apr 07, 2008 05:15:26 am
      Oh come on poor Frank cant feed his ass with the pay that he is on now. He might starve lets not be so crude guys  :tosser:

Quick Reply