Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Arsenal vs Liverpool - Match Thread

Read 12636 times
      Ard Mhacha Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
      Re: Arsenal vs Liverpool - Match Thread
      Reply #138: Apr 05, 2008 03:18:32 pm
      no bother mate.  i know they wore the black kit against sunderland, but thats cause the white would have clashed.  they wore the black in the european match at marseille, and someone else i think, where the white would've been ok
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #139: Apr 05, 2008 03:19:11 pm
      It's just for European away games and occasionally when the first & second kits clash, like with the red & white of Sunderlands home shirts.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #140: Apr 05, 2008 03:21:32 pm
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #141: Apr 05, 2008 03:24:07 pm

I only put it there because you said you were gonna check it mate sorry for tryna help.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #142: Apr 05, 2008 03:27:27 pm
      Well if you'd offered me 1-1 before the game without Gerrard & Torres in the starting lineup I would have taken it so I can't complain too much, but I do think the three points were there for the taking today, especially in the first half when we were all over them.

At the back Reina had a good game today, he could have possibly done a little more about the equaliser but apart from that he pulled off a couple of crucial saves. He had very little to do in the first half but still managed to keep his concentration, which can be one of the trickiest things for a keeper in quiet spells. In front of him the old hands Finnan & Carragher showed they've still got it despite their advancing years, some brilliant last ditch challenges from both of them. Arbeloa also did very well, making some important challenges and doing fairly well going forward too. Skrtel was solid enough defensively but some of his clearances left a lot to be desired, there was one in particular right near the end that could have gifted Arsenal a winner.

I midfield I was particularly impressed with Plessis. For a youngster making his debut in the first team he looked very assured in possession & didn't really put a foot wrong. There were a couple of Alonso-esque passes from him too, TBH he isn't one of the players that's stood out for me in the reserves but he's definitely gone up in my estimation after that performance. Pennant had a good game but let himself down by conceding the free kick that led to there equaliser. If he is to stay here beyond this summer he really needs to work on his defensive game, as that isn't the first time he's given a needless free kick away. Benayoun showed good feet on quite a few occasions, but unfortunately most of it came to nothing, he played his part well in our goal though. Lucas had a solid game too, nothing too spectacular but he got his job done well.

Up front Crouch looked a threat from the first minute, his long shot near the start would have been a beauty if Almunia hadn't got to it. He showed good technique for his goal, and was generally a threat until he got taken off. I'm not sure why Crouchy hasn't been used much this season, but he has shown again what he can bring to the team. If Gerrard had been on the pitch from the start I have no doubt he would have benefited from some of Crouch's play today.

There were only two bad performances for me today, and it was the usual suspects Riise & Voronin again. Both of these players for me have to be the first out the door in the summer, they have consistently shown this season that they aren't good enough, and have done it once again today. Riise's crossing was poor all game, and he missed an easy enough opportunity in the first half. I'd have to watch the replays again, but my first impression was that he was largely at fault for their goal too. It appeared to me that where the ball ended up should have been Riise's zone, but he got sucked in by an Arsenal player & left a gap. You could see Crouchy scrabbling across the penalty area to try & fill the gap, but he was too far away to get there on time. Voronin had two golden opportunities to win us the game today and he fluffed them both as he has been for most of the season. For a striker his finish was absolutely woeful for the first opportunity, it is no exaggeration to say that I believe I'd have done better myself. The second opportunity was when he rounded the goalkeeper, the replays show he didn't look up once, if he had he would have noticed the easy cutback for Torres & a semi-open goal.

I have to give a mention to the ref today, Phil Dowd. Refreshingly I thought he had a brilliant game & got just about every decision spot on. More importantly he was consistent with his refereeing, equal offences from both sides resulted in equal punishments. I can't recall what he's been like in previous games but going by today's officiating I wish more of them could be like him.

At the end of the day this isn't the best result we could have got today but it certainly isn't the worst either & I think we can be a lot happier than the Arsenal fans. Onwards & upwards to Tuesday night now, and psychologically we definitely have the upper hand.
      « Last Edit: Apr 05, 2008 03:36:57 pm by EddieC »
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #143: Apr 05, 2008 03:29:21 pm
      Just three words from me:  Voronin is sh*t.

Smigger, I don't like to slag off our players, but you are absolutely right! I couldn't believe it! Overall it was an enjoyable match where both sides had their opportunities, but at this level we can't afford to keep a player who is going to miss sitters. Honestly if you had offered me a 1-1 draw at kick-off I would have taken it, because with our starting XI it looked the best we could manage. But Voronin had the 3 points given to him on a plate and he threw them away, I'm only glad he cost us nothing so the Rafa-bashers can't say anything about signing him! If we were still in the title race I would have been gutted to have lost out on 3 points because of that miss.

I didn't enjoy Pennant's performance today either. Too predictable in his runs, looks frustrated early on, and at one point I was left wondering if he remembered which team he was playing for as he lost possession time and again or passed the ball to their players. If he was to leave at the end of the season I wouldn't be disappointed because we need a quality player on the right wing with a serious attitude and a bit more talent than this boy has to offer.

But I don't want to be negative after such a positive performance! Lots of our players had a good match today, most notably Crouchy, with a cracking goal from another unlikely situation, at least one of our other strikers knows where the goal is an can kick a ball correctly! He put in a great effort, plenty of running and closing down, excellent hold up play with his head, and as always great awareness of other players movement.

Lucas was a bit better today, but this guy needs to put on a few pounds of muscle if he is going to cut it in his role. Too often today he was muscled off the ball, but generally he was more present than in past matches, and he showed a good touch IMO. Skrtel had another good one too, his consistant level of play is just what we need right now. I also felt Plessis had an excellent debut, he was a little nervous at times but kept the ball well and has a good presence.

Anyway, we are one point closer to that fourth spot, and should have a bit more confidence going into the CL home leg next week!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #144: Apr 05, 2008 03:30:12 pm
      Suppose a draw will have to do - in terms of the league I would have prefered either a win or a defeat. Thought most of the lads done a very good job today and played better than them in the first half. Well in Crouch, still finding the net after so much time out. Voronin on the other hand............. :f_whistle:
      Well in Plessis as well. Didn't look nervous and done what he does best in the reserves - kept things simple. Was good to see him shouting at a few players when they gave possession away.

In the latter stages of the second half i thought it was anyones game. Even though they were trying to pile the presure on, we looked well equiped to hit them on the break. But it wasn't to be.

I'll be glad to get back to Anfield! Sick of their stadium now.
      remad
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 361 posts | 30 
      Arsenal vs Liverpool (EPL W33) April 5th 2008 , Match Videos
      Reply #145: Apr 05, 2008 03:36:27 pm

Arsenal ( 3rd , 71 pts ) vs Liverpool ( 4th , 63 pts )

Barclays Premier League , Match Day 33

Saturday April 5, 2008 , 11:45  GMT
      Emirates Stadium

Videos of The Match

Goals

First goal for Liverpool by Crouch 42
      Click Here for Video

Bendtner Draws for Arsenal ( 1 - 1) 55
      Click Here for Video

Extras

Pre Match Report : Arsene Wenger & Rafa Benitez talking about the match
      Click Here for Video

Wonderful Shot by Crouch saved by Almunia 2  
      Click Here for Video

A Shot over the goal by Riise after great pass of Crouch 17
      Click Here for Video

A shot by Benayoun left to goal 32
      Click Here for Video

A Shot by Fabregas left to goal 33
      Click Here for Video

What a miss by Bendtner 35
      Click Here for Video

First Half Highlights : Arsenal 0 - 1 Liverpool
      Click Here for Video

Blasiss Moves and Shots in first half
      Click Here for Video

What a missed header by Toure left to goal 51
      Click Here for Video

Nice shot by Flamini saved by Reina 69
      Click Here for Video

Nice Rabona by Adebayor 71
      Click Here for Video

Two Strange Missed Chances by Voronin 79 & 82
      Click Here for Video

Carragher vs Arsenal
      Click Here for Video

solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #146: Apr 05, 2008 03:46:39 pm
      Just three words from me:  Voronin is sh*t.

Really! We could have picked 3 points had it not been for Rusty Voronin.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #147: Apr 05, 2008 03:48:35 pm

I'll be glad to get back to Anfield! Sick of their stadium now.

You can say that again mate.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #148: Apr 05, 2008 03:49:15 pm

I'll be glad to get back to Anfield! Sick of their stadium now ;D
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #149: Apr 05, 2008 03:56:47 pm
      If you look at the first post of this thread, you'll see I said I think we should make 8 changes to the game from Wedensday, how right I can be ;)

However I did get it slightly wrong, not expecting Plesis to play
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #150: Apr 05, 2008 03:58:07 pm
      Carragher was MOTM in my opinion; almost every time they attacked, he managed to break up any real threat. He saved us from conceding a second, and possibly a third. Well done that lad!
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #151: Apr 05, 2008 04:10:21 pm
      Does anyone else agree that Plessis looked alot better than Lucas today?  He was very impressive.  For me Lucas has looked pretty ordinary everytime I have seen him play and I sometimes don't understand why gets as many games as he does. 

Crouch was outstanding today, Benayoun and Pennant were also dangerous in support and Carra was a rock in defence.  Voronin was pants again when he came on and shouldn't even be anywhere near the bench.  Overall it was a good game from the lads and even though we could have won it a draw was a decent result.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #152: Apr 05, 2008 04:10:51 pm
      This team made something clear to all. You stop Arsenal in their game when you force them to defend; and how best to do that than to always and never stop taking the game to them. Consistent and continuous attack is the key to throwing them off their game. True.
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #153: Apr 05, 2008 04:22:13 pm
      Does anyone else agree that Plessis looked alot better than Lucas today?  He was very impressive.  For me Lucas has looked pretty ordinary everytime I have seen him play and I sometimes don't understand why gets as many games as he does. 

Crouch was outstanding today, Benayoun and Pennant were also dangerous in support and Carra was a rock in defence.  Voronin was pants again when he came on and shouldn't even be anywhere near the bench.  Overall it was a good game from the lads and even though we could have won it a draw was a decent result.

Totally and utterly agree with you on Plessis he was F***ing awesome. HAve to say this if it wasnt for Pennant we would have won this game today!! HE was pretty good in the first half then went totally to pot in the second dreadful inconsistant display, and his tackle on Bender (yeah he reminds me of that robot from Futurama so sue me) was uncalled for he was going nowhere and he had tracked him down the wing into the corner. Crouch was awesome today this might give Rafa something to think about come Tuesday it might be and idea to push SG out onto the right and put Crouch in behind Torres but play the same system we have been playing, but having said that Kuyt has been doing so well would it be fair to leave him out of the side?? Nice dilema to have actually in some respects.

Im pleased we drew and am well happy with the point bring on Tuesday as the pressure is really on them now not us..
      Saffi 7
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts | 17 
      • "...that's why they paid 26 million for him..."
      Reply #154: Apr 05, 2008 04:24:51 pm
      I'm a bit annoyed that we didn't snatch it at the end there when we had them stretched...Voronin showed his lack of composure twice by missing the first shot and then ballooning the best chance. Kuyt also missed a great chance in the beginning when Crouch put him in space. We played better against them than we did last week and you could see that the tone wasn't as tense. We pressed more and more spaces opened up. Second half we reverted to sit back and counter as they grew more into the game. We had our chances to win it but just couldn't make it count.

I'm satisfied, they will be under even more pressure now as they dropped more points in the PL. Roll on Tuesday...

Walk on
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #155: Apr 05, 2008 04:27:52 pm
      I'm a bit annoyed that we didn't snatch it at the end there when we had them stretched...Voronin showed his lack of composure twice by missing the first shot and then ballooning the best chance. Kuyt also missed a great chance in the beginning when Crouch put him in space. We played better against them than we did last week and you could see that the tone wasn't as tense. We pressed more and more spaces opened up. Second half we reverted to sit back and counter as they grew more into the game. We had our chances to win it but just couldn't make it count.

I'm satisfied, they will be under even more pressure now as they dropped more points in the PL. Roll on Tuesday...

Walk on

Bloody hell, Kuyt still manages to get the blame when he wasn't even in the squad :D
      Saffi 7
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts | 17 
      • "...that's why they paid 26 million for him..."
      Reply #156: Apr 05, 2008 04:29:27 pm
      Bloody hell, Kuyt still manages to get the blame when he wasn't even in the squad :D

My bad Eddie...of course I meant Kewell... ;)
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #157: Apr 05, 2008 04:46:18 pm
      My bad Eddie...of course I meant Kewell... ;)

Yep lets blame sicknote, an easy target ;)
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #158: Apr 05, 2008 05:08:43 pm
      Just been reading Rafa's post match comments & it's interesting he said Riise played well, I thought he was quite poor personally, but even more interesting that he includes him in the list of 'players who don't normally play'. I don't think Riise will feature in Rafa's plans beyond this summer and if we'd got Heinze or Khaladze, who we were after last summer & January respectively, I doubt whether he'd still be here now.

***EDIT***

I've just looked at the replay of their goal again though, and I do have to backtrack in blaming Riise for that one. I thought it looked like Riise in the replay I saw during the game, but it was actually Skrtel.
      « Last Edit: Apr 05, 2008 05:21:07 pm by EddieC »
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      Reply #159: Apr 05, 2008 05:18:48 pm
      Just been reading Rafa's post match comments & it's interesting he said Riise played well, I thought he was quite poor personally, but even more interesting that he includes him in the list of 'players who don't normally play'. I don't think Riise will feature in Rafa's plans beyond this summer and if we'd got Heinze or Khaladze, who we were after last summer & January respectively, I doubt whether he'd still be here now.

I thought he played better than his average game.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #160: Apr 05, 2008 05:24:30 pm
      I thought he played better than his average game.

I wasn't impressed with him TBH. He was playing as a midfielder today, and he didn't do that job very well. I can't remember him taking anyone on with the ball once today, and his crossing was consistently poor. I do think he makes a better fullback than he does a midfielder, but he's still not good enough at that either for me.

Quick Reply