Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Patrik Berger's Liverpool remarks cost his job

Read 5196 times
      AggerDoo
      Patrik Berger's Liverpool remarks cost his job
      May 06, 2008 07:15:11 pm
      Berger no longer a Villain
      Czech star pays the price for Barry comments

Martin O'Neill has informed Patrick Berger that his career at Villa Park is over.
      The Czech midfielder is out of contract in the summer, but following his remarks on the future of Gareth Barry he is no longer part of the manager's plans.
      On Monday, Berger urged the Villa skipper to quit the club in favour of a "once in a lifetime" opportunity at his former side Liverpool.
      O'Neill is doing all he can to persuade his captain to reject the overtures of the Reds and, despite receiving an apology from Berger, is livid that his attempts have been put in jeopardy by one of his own players.
      Ludicrous
      "I was really disappointed and surprised that Patrick, with all his experience of dealing with the press, would make such an inappropriate comment," the Villa boss told the club's official website.
      "The sad aspect of it is that we are paying Patrick's wages for him to recommend one of our players to another football club. It's ludicrous.
      "I think Pat realises that now and he's apologised. He said the didn't mean a great deal of harm but the harm's been done and he won't be playing any part in proceedings from here on in."

Poor Paddy Berger has paid the price for advising Barry to maek the best move of his career. But we will thank him if Barry joins us.
      « Last Edit: May 06, 2008 08:22:30 pm by JD »
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,727 posts | 3741 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Re: Patrik Berger
      Reply #1: May 06, 2008 08:05:54 pm
      F**K off O'nil. ;)

Great Advise Berger. Ynwa.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #2: May 06, 2008 08:09:04 pm
      Saw that on SSn before, at least Patrik tells the truth  ;) :D
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #3: May 06, 2008 08:14:18 pm
      Patrick is right though. If Barry passes up this oppotunity, even if they make the Uefa cup, he belongs in a white jacket.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,133 posts | 456 
      Reply #4: May 06, 2008 08:20:17 pm
      I wonder if he would have done the same if Carson had said the same.  I very much doubt it.  Patrik did his job by speaking the honest truth and ONeil wasn't going to extend his contract anyway.  Patrik has had a long career at the very top of his profession.  If he wants to do some scouting I'm sure we can accommodate for him. ;)
      « Last Edit: May 06, 2008 08:22:58 pm by king kenny »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #5: May 06, 2008 08:22:09 pm
      Super Paddy Berger!
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Re: Patrik Berger's Liverpool remarks cost his job
      Reply #6: May 06, 2008 08:33:46 pm
      all this talk of burgers is making me hungry im off to berger king to get me a a double barry burger with a side of class

oh yeah and a message to Martin o'Neil

EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #7: May 06, 2008 08:43:54 pm
      Yet more sensationalism from the media, Berger was already on his way before he made those comments.
      truckerdai
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts | -1 
      Reply #8: May 06, 2008 08:47:50 pm
      Cant fault berger for his comments there.

But I can also understand where O 'neil is coming from
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #9: May 06, 2008 08:59:26 pm
      O'Neil only used Patrick from the bench for most of the season I believe so why shouldn't he advise a fellow pro where to go if given the chance like he said you do not get that many offers to finish your career at one of the top clubs. Matt Le Tissier is a prime example of a guy who stayed put when his ability deserved better and what does he have to look back on, nothing more than a few tribute vases, don't let that be you in 6yrs Gareth
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,133 posts | 456 
      Reply #10: May 06, 2008 09:03:15 pm
      O'Neil only used Patrick from the bench for most of the season I believe so why shouldn't he advise a fellow pro where to go if given the chance like he said you do not get that many offers to finish your career at one of the top clubs. Matt Le Tissier is a prime example of a guy who stayed put when his ability deserved better and what does he have to look back on, nothing more than a few tribute vases, don't let that be you in 6yrs Gareth

Good shout mate, I really do feel for Le Tissier because I truely believe he is one of the most underated English players of all time.  I think we should send him a post card with Matt Le tissier's photo on it.  That should do the job!
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #11: May 06, 2008 09:04:50 pm
      Good shout mate, I really do feel for Le Tissier because I truely believe he is one of the most underated English players of all time.  I think we should send him a post card with Matt Le tissier's photo on it.  That should do the job!

He's a right tw*t when he's doing our games on Soccer Saturday though!
      lfcreds27
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 138 posts | -5 
      Reply #12: May 06, 2008 09:04:55 pm
      Berger was simply giving his opinion, he was going anyway but still cant blame him for saying liverpool is a big opportunity because it is.

I dont want Barry but think him and Gerrard might link up well.

If Alonso is going at least get a better replacement not a stepdown.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,133 posts | 456 
      Reply #13: May 06, 2008 09:11:34 pm
      He's a right tw*t when he's doing our games on Soccer Saturday though!

I know what your saying, but just from a footballing point of view the guy had it all.  And even though it was his choice and only his mistake, I will never believe that he doesn't regret it no matter what he says.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #14: May 06, 2008 09:55:32 pm
      I think Berger's comments were spot on and O'Neil just took it the wrong way and is bang out of order. Berger can do better than a shitty midlands club anyway
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #15: May 06, 2008 10:05:57 pm
      If one of our players came out saying they advised one of our best players to leave for a better club, then I'd be livid. So I can understand where O'Neil is coming from.

But well said Berger. You know your stuff..  :D :D
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #16: May 06, 2008 10:11:17 pm

He bloody well should know his stuff after the amount of time he spent at the club ;D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #17: May 06, 2008 10:11:52 pm
      Yet more sensationalism from the media, Berger was already on his way before he made those comments.

Spot on Eddie. I saw this in an article yesterday that said he is going back to the Czech Rep. after this season.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,387 posts | 1542 
      Reply #18: May 07, 2008 12:01:35 am
      Patrick has probably only said this to, or about Barry, because he knew he was already on his way out of villa. It's a sort of revenge as he wasn't played regularly by oneil. He is also probably aware that Barry realy wants to join Liverpool and is just saying 'F**k you' as a parting gesture to oneil. Barry will know, as any top pro will, you have to be amongst the top four to reach your highest goals regularly in the prem. The thing is, do we realy want Barry at Anfield. I'm still notconvinced he's top drawer.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #19: May 07, 2008 12:08:57 am
      If one of our players came out saying they advised one of our best players to leave for a better club, then I'd be livid. So I can understand where O'Neil is coming from.

Very true has to be looked at from both sides.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8671 
      Reply #20: May 07, 2008 01:09:13 am
      Patrik Berger la la la la, la la la la la la
      Oh Patrik Berger, la la la

O'Neil's getting all shirty over this Barry Business isn't he, cos were not playing game and paying full wack for him Eh!

Can understand his reasoning though, Hargreaves/Carrick 18 million apiece - both England internationals so 15m for Barry?

Bit harsh on Paddy though - F**k o'neil be funny if paddy signed for Birmingham (if they stay up) and scored against them or sign for a team that could meet them in the inter-toto, cos they way they've played the last three games they've all but offered Everton the Uefa cup place.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #21: May 07, 2008 10:17:42 am
      I think Paddy Berger knew he was on the way out of Villa anyway so he had nothing to lose by speaking honestly.ONeill is just using this as an excuse to get rid of Paddy.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #22: May 07, 2008 10:22:50 am
      If one of our players came out saying they advised one of our best players to leave for a better club.

Better club? What is this better club you speak of? Surely your off your head kenny ;)

Quick Reply