Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

Albert Riera (Espanyol)

Read 42519 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Albert Riera
      Reply #299: Aug 30, 2008 01:10:02 am
      Does he have good pace?
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #300: Aug 30, 2008 01:57:11 am
      You name a winger who is available and who we can afford?

A very valuable point. What we want and what we get is a realistic fact with us these days.

We must remember the net spend we've had this summer and not kid ourselves. If the deal for Riera is sealed over the weekend, I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two sqaud members be sold.

But let's give new signings a chance until they've proven they're good enough or not.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #301: Aug 30, 2008 03:19:44 am

He's not amazingly quick but he's not slow if that makes sense ;D, He has pace but he isnt like torres, babel pace.

He's more a technical player than knock the ball ahead and sprint after it although he can do that aswell.

A positive in my opinion, its good to have alot of pace but at the same time it can make you predictable. Very skillful player, knows how to get out of a sticky situation with a bit of skill and he's got quick feet.
      « Last Edit: Aug 30, 2008 03:45:31 am by lil cisse »
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #302: Aug 30, 2008 04:04:20 am
      A positive in my opinion, its good to have alot of pace but at the same time it can make you predictable.

It is very true....Mark Gonzalez comes to mind when I think about player with "explosive" pace.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #303: Aug 30, 2008 08:05:24 am
      Theres part of the problem right there. "WE WERE SAYING DAVID VILLA IS SIGNING" Exactly Rafa never said he was signing Villa or Silva in fact he ruled out Villa very early on. He admitted he wanted Barry but the board held back. we all want to sign top names but your getting annoyed that we didnt sign players that a) we werent trying to sign I.e Villa and b)werent for sale I.e Silva. We moan about lack of width and when we get a winger we moan!!

You name a winger who is available and who we can afford? And as for your line about "I'll support him, just not right now" what kind of supporter is that? Wait till the lad shows hes good then come back and post in what a great signing Riera is. No thats not right mate

Villa, we were tying to sign. Rafa said himself he was looking at him. He may or may not have made a direct offer for him but his interest shows we were trying to get him.

I doubt anyone was supporting Craig Bellamy when he came, Jermain Pennant even? Everyone was slating those signings but when they put on the shirt they were/are supported. Dont question my support, if i didnt give 2 tosses about this club i wouldnt make the effort to watch every match in any way i could.

A winger who is available and affordable....Barry? We have the money, just too tight to hand it over. Milner was available but he wont do anything better than Pennant and for 10 million. Valencia from Wigan? All available but Rafa has chosen Riera and fair enough, been wrapped as 2nd best left winger in Spain right now by some.
      stiffler
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 137 posts |
      Reply #304: Aug 30, 2008 09:14:53 am
      Lads am I the only one who is mildly excited by this signing?

Im even contemplating getting his name on the back of my shirt!
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #305: Aug 30, 2008 09:46:32 am
      It seems too many fans get wrapped up in the fact that he's our 3rd choice winger and remain negative. I for one am looking forward to seeing this guy in a red shirt. As someone previously mentioned, this guy is probably the second best winger in Spain which means under Raffas guidance he has the potential to be first..
      Don't be apprehensive in being exited buy this signing cos some fans are pissed off we didn't get Silva..

AND I'm happy he did a "Sissoko" and snubbed the bitters...hahaha. See.. Riera's off to a good start already!!!
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #306: Aug 30, 2008 12:08:05 pm

Im not sure that the reira of man city is good enough. But from what ive seen he has improved, but thats only youtube. I am glad that he is a left footed winger however. And an actual winger not a striker on the wings
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,281 posts | 2834 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #307: Aug 30, 2008 12:09:34 pm

No im with ye on this one. As I said inanother post I think the lads he will play alongside at Liverpool will bring out the obvious talent the boy has
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #308: Aug 30, 2008 02:08:47 pm
      It seems too many fans get wrapped up in the fact that he's our 3rd choice winger and remain negative. I for one am looking forward to seeing this guy in a red shirt. As someone previously mentioned, this guy is probably the second best winger in Spain which means under Raffas guidance he has the potential to be first..
      Don't be apprehensive in being exited buy this signing cos some fans are pissed off we didn't get Silva..

AND I'm happy he did a "Sissoko" and snubbed the bitters...hahaha. See.. Riera's off to a good start already!!!

I said I heard some touting him as 2nd best but Silva is a class above Riera in every aspect so I dont he will ever he first choice for the naitional side however there's no doubt Rafa will make him a better play, I just hope its good enough.
      Boot
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Reply #309: Aug 30, 2008 02:51:18 pm
      Some are saying that Riera is as good as Antonio Nunez.  What a bargain for £12M!!!

I don't think so, how can we turn a blind eye to wright-philips and go for somebody who couldn't make it at Man City. 

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,281 posts | 2834 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #310: Aug 30, 2008 03:14:36 pm
      Some are saying that Riera is as good as Antonio Nunez.  What a bargain for £12M!!!

I don't think so, how can we turn a blind eye to wright-philips and go for somebody who couldn't make it at Man City. 

Do you honestly think Chelsea wouldnt look for between 15 to 20 million off us for Wright Phillips if indeed theyd sell to us at all? Most on here seem obsessed with Rieras spell at City. If you judged Mascherano by his spell at West Ham would you have said he was a good signing? 
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #311: Aug 30, 2008 04:10:46 pm
      If you judged Mascherano by his spell at West Ham would you have said he was a good signing? 

Great point that, didn't think of that.

Still, I'm not exactly confident that Riera will be a success, it just seems like the Spanish equivilant of signing Jermaine Pennant: good player, but at a bit of an underachieving club, on the fringes of the national side, with too many superior players in line for his position, same amount of money...

Well, we'll have to see.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #312: Aug 30, 2008 05:43:05 pm
      Let's give the lad a chance eh  ::)

Rafa has an uncanny knack of making good players better.

He needs and deserves our support, and if Rafa thinks he's good enough to pull on the Red shirt of Liverpool, then that's good enough for me.

In Rafa we trust.
      « Last Edit: Aug 30, 2008 08:45:26 pm by MsGerrard »
      SuperSkrtel
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 387 posts |
      Reply #313: Aug 30, 2008 07:05:33 pm
      Hopefully this goes through and we have a Left footed winger to give us some balance we've been absolutely shocking down that side in the opening games off this season and are very lucky not to have been left with egg on our face.

Also there does'nt seem to be a whole lot expected outta this lad by some fans so maybe it'll take a bit of the pressure off the lad and we will all be very pleasantly surprised with how he does

IN RAFA WE TRUST
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #314: Aug 30, 2008 07:53:57 pm

I swear Wright-Philips plays on the right???... And we have a truck load of players who can play there..
      king-nando
      • Forum Steve Staunton

• 148 posts |
      Reply #315: Aug 30, 2008 08:07:18 pm
      to sort of quote a famous scouser "give albert a chance"
      kopkiwi
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 555 posts | -6 
      Reply #316: Aug 31, 2008 04:49:34 am
      People seem to over look the fact that Man City DID try and sign him but they couldn't agree a fee at the time.
      DOOLEY
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 209 posts | -5 
      Reply #317: Aug 31, 2008 10:38:01 am
      how many normally would we expect from him to score a season
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #318: Aug 31, 2008 10:43:23 am
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #319: Aug 31, 2008 10:52:35 am
      Is this a DONE deal?
       nothing official  was out
        Hope this is not another Simao deal ,where all was blown up in the last hour
        I think Rafa does not have to sell before he can sign Riera
        so Why are we letting Pennant go for only 4/5 mill (various papers)
      DOOLEY
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 209 posts | -5 
      Reply #320: Aug 31, 2008 10:58:02 am
      4 goals in his last two season dosnt exatlly gat my heart racing

kopkiwi
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 555 posts | -6 
      Reply #321: Aug 31, 2008 11:22:17 am
      For me, it isn't about how many he scores, we have Gerrard, Babel, Keane, Torres and Kuyt to provide the goals, if half your team isn't enough, then no player ever will be. For me it's more about how many he creates. I would be happy with 13.

Quick Reply