Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

Second and third goalkeeper next season?

Read 2296 times
      TotheMax
      • Forum Ronnie Moran
      • Started Topic

• 404 posts | 22 
      Second and third goalkeeper next season?
      May 17, 2008 01:22:11 am
      I just read on the official website that David Martin has signed a new deal that will keep him at Liverpool until june 2010. I was a little surprised to see that he is 22 years old. I thought he was younger.

So right now we have

Pepe Reina
      Scott Carson (out on loan)
      Charles Itadje
      David Martin
      Nikolaj Mihajlov (out on loan)

I have understood that we also have quite a lot of youngsters. Chamberlain, Gulasci, Bouzzanis and Hansen. And at the same time, we are linked to Maik Taylor. What is going on? Is Rafa dreaming of a team of goalkeepers?
      No seriously, what do you think Rafa's plans are with the goalkeeping situation? Who will be our first three goalkeepers next season?

I seems very probable that Carson will leave and of course Pepe will still be number 1, but what about the rest?

redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Re: Second and third goalkeeper next season?
      Reply #1: May 17, 2008 01:43:43 am
      It is an interesting question.

I've wondered about this since seeing Itandje go from domestic cup first teamer to nothing. Martin has looked more confident and a very good keeper when playing for the reserves but hasn't had a chance in the first team apart from being on the bench. But he hasn't featured in the reserves for a little while now.

I guess Martin will possibly end up number two next season the way things are going. He looks more assured and confident than Itandje in my opinion. But we'll see.

I tell you what though. Gulacsi doesn't look too bad either.

The one thing we are definitely lacking where number two goalie is concerned, is experience.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #2: May 17, 2008 04:32:58 am
      Keep Charles! I dont want to repeat my self over and over but where are you going to find as good and experienced and cheap keeper like him who is willing to sit on the bench? Wont happen.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #3: May 17, 2008 07:43:59 am
      Thing is Pepe is only 25.  He could arguably have another 10 years ahead of him.  You will struggle to keep quality keepers as back up for a keeper this young.

I think Liverpool will constantly have problems with keeping hold of decent reserve keepers as long as Pepe is around.

From what I've seen of Charlie Charles he is decent enough.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #4: May 17, 2008 11:30:39 am
      I say sell itandje as wel already have replacements sitting waiting.

Sell carson i know he wants first team football but im sick of him running to the press every time he spits out his dummy, you dont see crouch or anyone else doing it so just get rid, if he's that desperate to leave let him we get money and he gets his first team football i dont think he's as good as i did before after seeing him over the course of a season anyway.

I think itandje isn't that bad a goalie and i love his attitude of saying its a privilege just to be at liverpool but i think he is never going to be our number one and he will inevitably start to crave first team football aswell. I want us to bring Mikhaylov back from his loan, he's still young and all i've ever heard of him is good things. He has been touted as one of the top 50 young players to look out for in the world and thats not something small considering its also containing people like bojan krkic.

Also Martin, he has just signed a new deal, i'd like to see him get a chance. He has been with us for a while and people seem to think he is a good goalie what have we got to lose.   
      Koppite_1985
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 83 posts |
      Reply #5: May 17, 2008 12:54:16 pm
      i dont rate charles itadge personally but im happy for the club to maybe see if he develops. would like carson to stay but he needs 1st team experience. tough 1
      TotheMax
      • Forum Ronnie Moran
      • Started Topic

• 404 posts | 22 
      Reply #6: May 17, 2008 03:45:20 pm
      Assuming that Carson will leave, Im also for keeping Itadje, since he is the most experienced of our backup keepers, and he also seems happy to be number two at the moment. I would rather send David Martin out on loan rather than have him as second goalie next year.

There is a thing I dont get about second goalies. Why dont we let them play in the reserve team? The reserves play in midweek, and a goalie should not have problems playing midweek and then play in the weekend if called upon because of injury to the first goalie (which btw. almost never happens). People have critizised Itadje for being Dodgy and not very sharp, but I think its hard to be, if you only go to training. The third keeper at least gets the reserve games, and gets some match practise that way.
      There is of course the risk of getting injured, but I guess its quite small for a goalie playing for the reserves.

So if Carson leaves, go with Itadje as second and play him in the reserve games, send Martin and Mihaylov out on loan (at clubs where they are quite certain of regular first team football. Mihaylov hasnt played a game for Twente as far as I can see), and we could use one of the youngsters as third goalie, in case Reina or Itadje gets a small injury and if one them gets a long term injury, then recall Martin from loan. How would that sound?
      lfcreds27
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 138 posts | -5 
      Reply #7: May 18, 2008 07:54:52 am
      whats the point in going for Taylor, if hes not going to play.

Put Martin and Hansen on the bench
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #8: May 19, 2008 04:59:14 pm
      whats the point in going for Taylor, if hes not going to play.

Put Martin and Hansen on the bench

two keepers on the bench ?

swerve that ;)
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #9: May 19, 2008 05:22:45 pm
      Personally I think Intanje is good enough to be the back-up and if he is happy enough to be in that position where you only play 7-10 games a season then so be it, keep him at the club. I think if Rafa wants to get a experience keeper to fill in as back up then maybe could make a run at Santiago CaƱizares who has just left Rafa's old club Valenica. Again the issue of does he want to be playing second fiddle behind Pepe is the question.

Personally I would rather have the younger keepers go out on loan where they can play 30 games a season rather than stay at the cup and it on the bench and play the Carling Cup matches or the reserve game here or there.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #10: May 19, 2008 11:26:00 pm
      Good call i totally agree with you , keep the younger keepers out on loan to gain valuable match experience,better than sitting on the bench?
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #11: May 19, 2008 11:56:59 pm
      Don't forget we also have young Dean Bouzanis coming through as well. We definitely don't need to buy any more for now that much is for sure.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #12: May 20, 2008 08:39:54 am
      Deano has been on The World Game here a few times. Seems a great kid with a bright future and will be our national keeper no doubt ahead of Brad Jones (Boro keeper) Loan him out i say, maybe a League 1 or even League 2 side? Will do great things for him.

Quick Reply