Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

£20 million to one Villa

Read 8078 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      £20 million to one Villa
      Jun 15, 2008 07:02:05 pm
      I know there is a David Villa transfer topic http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,1417.0.html
      and a Gareth Barry one http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,7408.0.html.

But.....

We've wasted far too long on this Gareth Barry business.  They want £20 million?  No chance.

I know where £20 million could be far better spent.

Surely it's a no brainer?

Who's more likely to help us to a title - Gareth Barry or David Villa?

If Torres gets injured what will happen to our season? Who will score our goals?

Am I missing something here?  Do we really need another midfielder more desperately than a striker?

Rafa, I implore you. 

Keep Xabi, buy Villa and ditch Barry.

« Last Edit: Jun 15, 2008 08:29:39 pm by JD »
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Re: £20 million to one Villa
      Reply #1: Jun 15, 2008 07:15:07 pm
      This is very much so, a massively debatable topic.  I can see where you are coming from JD. 

But as I've just mentioned in the Quota System Thread, Rafa could be worrying over the 5 by 6 rule that could be in place soon.

I know I would much rather go for David Villa.  But if it wasn't for this F***ing pressurising rule that isn't even in place it's casting doubt in Rafa's mind.  I'm sure.

We'll just have to wait and see over this one.  Let UEFA sort out this rule and see what they are actually going to do with it and then make a decision.  But if only it was that easy. 

We could be sitting on the fence for this one for a while actually, and I definitely hope we don't miss either boat given the chance.

lfcreds27
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 138 posts | -5 
      Reply #2: Jun 15, 2008 07:32:58 pm
      Why can't we get both?

Barry at £20m is ridiculous, good player but not worth more than £16m for me.

Villa will be around £25-35m so we need to save some money on Barry.

Agree completely Barry would improve Gerrard's game but Villa will improve his,Torres's, Gerrard's and all other assisters.

Who knows Villa could do what Torres did and score over 30 goals in his first season.

Even thinking of the possible Torres-Villa combo has me wanting next season to hurry up and arrive.

Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #3: Jun 15, 2008 07:35:28 pm
      Even thinking of the possible Torres-Villa combo has me wanting next season to hurry up and arrive.

And the Euro's to hurry up.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #4: Jun 15, 2008 07:37:23 pm
      I dont think that rule will come in, if it does we do actually have english players and we can get people like bentley for less than we are being asked for to get barry. The thing that annoys me is we seem not to have learnt that spending alot of time concentrating on one target can make you miss out on others, i hope that doesnt happen ever again.

David is the far superior signing. In all honesty, I'd be more impressed with us buying a young central prospect e.g. michael johnson from man city (for the english rule thing) then villa with some other players we need than barry for way more than he is worth.

The targets are there, i mean who wouldnt be happy with us using the £20 million they want for barry with the money from alonso's (imminent it seems :() sale to get villa then swapping crouch for kranjcar for the left wing and using the money from sales of people like carson, riise, pennant and the others that seem like they will leave for someone like bentley for the right wing (another english player incase the rule comes in).
      emsy28
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 545 posts | 12 
      Reply #5: Jun 15, 2008 07:41:49 pm
      I'm far more concerned about winning the league next season & stopping united equaling our records than worrying about a ruling that hasn't come in yet!i hope to god we ditch the average player for 20 mil & buy the match winner who allready has an understanding with our main striker!
      i can understand why some people are concerned about the uefa home players rule but surely arsenal would be in a worse position than us!
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #6: Jun 15, 2008 08:22:30 pm
      Well i for one would blow the budget on Villa the understanding he and Torres have is what we have been lacking upfront i think we are ok in midfield and if it came to choice of Barry or Villa well its a no brainer for me,we can dream
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #7: Jun 15, 2008 08:23:37 pm
      This is very much so, a massively debatable topic.  I can see where you are coming from JD. 

But as I've just mentioned in the Quota System Thread, Rafa could be worrying over the 5 by 6 rule that could be in place soon.

I know I would much rather go for David Villa.  But if it wasn't for this F***ing pressurising rule that isn't even in place it's casting doubt in Rafa's mind.  I'm sure.

We'll just have to wait and see over this one.  Let UEFA sort out this rule and see what they are actually going to do with it and then make a decision.  But if only it was that easy. 

We could be sitting on the fence for this one for a while actually, and I definitely hope we don't miss either boat given the chance.

It's not so much the FIFA 5/6-rule for 2012 season as the UEFA's 8 english players (Including subs) for the Champions League next season. I prefer Villa by a million mile, but Barry is quota-necessary!
      livercool
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 86 posts | -5 
      Reply #8: Jun 15, 2008 08:59:59 pm
      Barry will be 30/31 in 2012 , so i dont think Rafa is thinking that way. I will take it one season at a time if i was Rafa.
      It's not so much the FIFA 5/6-rule for 2012 season as the UEFA's 8 english players (Including subs) for the Champions League next season. I prefer Villa by a million mile, but Barry is quota-necessary!
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,727 posts | 3741 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #9: Jun 15, 2008 09:12:37 pm
      I know there is a David Villa transfer topic http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,1417.0.html
      and a Gareth Barry one http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,7408.0.html.

But.....

We've wasted far too long on this Gareth Barry business.  They want £20 million?  No chance.

I know where £20 million could be far better spent.

Surely it's a no brainer?

If Torres gets injured what will happen to our season? Who will score our goals?

Am I missing something here?  Do we really need another midfielder more desperately than a striker?

Rafa, I implore you. 

Keep Xabi, buy Villa and ditch Barry.

I agree with you mate.
      No thanks A.Villa, We NEED D.Villa not Barry.But if rafa brings him we need to support him through out his liverpool life.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #10: Jun 15, 2008 09:12:41 pm
      I think it's a nice dream to sign Villa but realistically I doubt the board would give up on Barry on the off chance that we could sign Villa only for him to go Barca or Real or worse the chavs! but we DO need another quality striker like you say who will get the goals if Torres is out?

With Crouch set to go to Pompey and Kuyt currently being used as a right winger we definitely need another striker for next season to give Torres a bit of support, who else is out there and how much will he cost I think is the next question we should be looking to answer.

But yeah if we sign Villa that would be immense ;)
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #11: Jun 15, 2008 09:13:12 pm
      Barry will be 30/31 in 2012 , so I dont think Rafa is thinking that way. I will take it one season at a time if I was Rafa.

There is supposed to be a new UEFA rule that mandates that 8 english players must be part of each english team playing in the Champions league. I Think........
      Torresinho
      • Forum Youth Player

• 17 posts |
      Reply #12: Jun 15, 2008 09:44:24 pm
      Sell Alonso, ditch Barry, buy Villa, buy Giovinco, buy Balotelli.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #13: Jun 15, 2008 10:00:45 pm

Yes because whoever Giovinco is, he'll be able to replace Alonso in the first XI and will bring a lot more to the team obviously... Where have you even got that name from? Football Manager?
      Torresinho
      • Forum Youth Player

• 17 posts |
      Reply #14: Jun 15, 2008 10:07:03 pm
      Look at youtube for Giovinco :o .

We've got Masch, Gerrard, Lucas, Plessis who can do it for us.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #15: Jun 15, 2008 10:07:35 pm

Why buy Balotelli if we get Villa because we would have kuyt too and it means one of them would be on the bench alot and thats the reason balotelli wants to leave inter anyway. Plus we have Babel so if we need another striker at times then he could cover. I would much rather it be Keep Alonso, ditch barry, buy Villa and not get the other 2.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #16: Jun 15, 2008 10:08:09 pm
      There is supposed to be a new UEFA rule that mandates that 8 english players must be part of each english team playing in the Champions league. I Think........

Seems unlikely. which of the top 4 had 8 last year ? because not many have been linked to english players bar us.
      jakkeo
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts |
      Reply #17: Jun 15, 2008 10:19:02 pm

I hear they cant use this rule because the EU wont allow it or something? but i do think we have wasted to much time and i already think £12 million is too much for Barry. Barry has already stated he wants to leave Villa £10 million at the very most i think. Id love to see Villa in a Liverpool shirt.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #18: Jun 15, 2008 10:36:49 pm
      Rafa is not the sort of man to suffer fools blindly and O'Neil is taking the micky out of Rafa and I can't see Rafa bothering any more everytime Rafa has uped the offer O'Neil has moved the goalposts so now may be the time to let it go.

Raffa knew all along that O'Neil would try to keep Barry but the way O'Neil has gone about doing that has been underhanded and without a thought for the player involved so now Barry knows what O'Neil is like and what he will do until he slows a bit with age and that's not to long away now 3 - 5 yrs at most, O'Neil may find an unhappy player on his hands and I for one thinks he deserves that. Fingers crossed that Barry sticks one finger up toward's O'Neil....
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #19: Jun 15, 2008 11:15:24 pm

Fine.  Still buy Villa. It's the Premiership we want.
      The French
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #20: Jun 16, 2008 01:20:02 am
      David Villa can play on the left wing in a 4-2-3-1 and as a striker.

So he can at the same time be a worthy substitute to Torres (who isn't a machine) and have enough game time due to the statute he holds.

If playing on the left isn't a handicap for him, and if we can get the money, I would like to see him joining us. He scores loads of goals and seems to be a thorough striker. I'd rather see him on the left wing than Barry, Babel, Benayoun... 2 players in 1 as he can play in both positions. And moreover a confirmed one... We need some guarantees.
      « Last Edit: Jun 16, 2008 01:22:10 am by The French »
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #21: Jun 16, 2008 06:47:25 am
      Also, his goal V Sweden was made from a run down the left. A big improvement om Babel who can be shifted to the right.

What i'm worried about though is what about Ryan Babel? People seem to be disinterested in him and concentrating on Villa. I think we should revert to the 4-4-2 if we get Villa. We can accomodate for all 3 plus Gerrard and Masch down the middle and Bentley down the right *drools*.
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #22: Jun 16, 2008 08:47:29 am
      Quote from: solodee on Yesterday at 09:13:12 PM

Forget Quotas no matter where they come from.  Are Arsenal running around trying to get English players on board?  They know EU legislation will not allow any restriction of EU players plying their trade anywhere in the EU.

If David Villa is available for £20m we should buy him as soon as possible.  He's already demonstarted he can play well with Nando so it's just a no brainer for me.  Are the funds available to make such a purchase?

I don't think we should offer any more for Barry than we have already offered.  If we pull out now O'Neil will have one very unhappy player on his hands.  This would be no more than he deserves given the infantile attitude he has adopted just because Barry wants a chance to play at the highest level rather than stick with the also ran team he is managing.

I'm still worried that once again we seem to be bargain basement buying and where this will leave us in the ever improving Premiership. 

Quick Reply